HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Florida Panthers Prospect Thread 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2013, 07:25 AM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
Ekblad.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
I'd probably go with Ekblad if Reinhart is gone.

-ghoste

Old
08-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Cosmonaut

Nylander for me.

Old
08-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Ekblad.

Old
08-09-2013, 10:40 PM
rockit2112

Ekblad.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Rookie Camp opens September 4th. Looks like Guds' younger brother Alex has been invited.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|FLA|home

-ghoste

Old
08-24-2013, 03:08 AM
florida pwnthers

i don't understand, why is he (a. gudbranson) listed as a panther on NHL.com? is it because the camp invite? seems bit premature...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search

Old
09-01-2013, 12:33 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Is Kyle Rau still considered as a good prospect? I don't recall seeing him mentioned by anyone here lately.

Old
09-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Thunderheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Is Kyle Rau still considered as a good prospect? I don't recall seeing him mentioned by anyone here lately.
Kyle Rau is definitely a solid prospect...will be one of the main go to Guys at University of Minnesota this year. Played with Bjugstad on same line the last 2 years...one of the most productive in college! Only knock is that he is not real big
Thunderheart

Old
09-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
And also in regards to Rau, he was named the Gophers co-captain with Nate Condon.

-ghoste

Old
09-01-2013, 08:20 PM
wings5

Can someone give me a detailed scouting report on Alex Petrovic please?

Old
09-01-2013, 08:34 PM
iam76

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...g-wjc-showing/

wish we took a chance on this kid still.. not sure why nobody has besides being 5'9

Old
09-01-2013, 11:02 PM
gizmo12688

I guess the fact that Rau and Trocheck aren't even in the top ten of the latest ranking of our prospects from HF really show how deep the pool is.

Article in reference: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ready-for-nhl/

Old
09-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Dr Beinfest

I read that and was lifting up my pitchfork ready to write something bad but read the list and realized that even if I don't fully agree, I do think it's a plausible, fair ranking.

Old
09-09-2013, 06:23 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
It seems Corban Knight is not off to the best start in Calgary (from Calgary Herald):

Quote:
Corban Knight scored once but coach Troy Ward was not happy with his performance in Calgary's 3-2 loss to Vancouver.
It was a rookie game, but Ward was not at all happy with the effort of Knight who is in his first training camp after playing four seasons at the University of North Dakota. "To be honest, he's got to play with some passion, some vigor," said Ward. "This isn't college - you're not going to have the puck all the time. You're going to have to go get it back. When Corban has the puck, I'm fine with that. But when he doesn't have it, he's going to have to play like (Michael) Ferland . . . and get his nose dirty." Knight averaged at least a point a game in his last three years with North Dakota, including a 16 goal, 49 point performance in 41 games during the 2012-13 season. He will start the season with Abbotsford of the AHL but the former fifth round pick could get a look see with Calgary at some point during the season if he performs well in the minors. Sep 9 - 6:19 AM

Old
09-23-2013, 10:25 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Looking at back at some of the drafts, few more little observations.

2008 is becoming more comfortable to assess at this point. Markstrom is actually the hardest to project (which is natural for the position).
Robak is now in the critical zone. I don't think the upside is there to be anything more than lower end reliable PMD, but time is running out. After 3 years in the AHL, the jump needs to made sooner rathan than later.

Comrie isn't with the organisation anymore, though he's actually made progress recently.

Jenks can be written off.

Bartowski seems to be a borderline NHL player for the Bruins, though i am completely unaware of whether he is likely to stick with them this year.

All in all, 5 years later and the draft is still of hope rather than results. Markstrom of course hopefully will make this draft a worthwhile exercise, whilst hope still exists that Robak may be a servicable NHL defenseman. With so few picks (and no 1st round pick) expectations can't be that high, but the fact we still have no concrete performer from this draft is a little disappointing.

2009 is in that zone where assumptions begin to become a little more concrete. We got two NHL players with our first two picks. Hard to fault that. Kulikov incites differences of opinion between fans, but he's a talented player with remaining upside and furthermore, value. Shore has progressed nicely at all levels since draft day and with his size, intelligence and level of responsibility, should be able to assume a long and stable career in the NHL as an average scoring forward to a great defensive 3rd line center.

The rest as far as the Panthers are concerned represent little hope of any further fortune. Birkholz has disappointed at every level since draft day and can effectively be written off. The speed and shot hasn't amounted to any tangible performance or production.

Wilson too, can effectively be removed from the memory as a significant NHL prospect. He still hasn't established himself as an AHL player 2 years removed from graduating from the OHL.

Knight will be interesting to follow. Progressed nicely since draft day and possesses good size, skating and defensive abilities that project him to be a servicable NHL player. Unfortunately wasn't signed, but that is hardly the fault of our scouts. Usually, if a late round prospect still has obvious NHL credentials 4 years + from the draft, it's not a bad selection at all.

Megan like Knight hasn't had a full pro year yet, but has much less NHL prospects. Signed on AHL contract for this year (as far as i am aware). Wouldn't hold out of a ton of hope, but faces a critical year ahead.

Timmins is a curious draft pick. Not much upside or NHL level offensive abilities, but has seen some NHL action and performs his role admirably. Problem is, it is a competitive world for the type of role he is trying to fill. NHL future is undetermined, whether it be with Florida or somewhere else. Dime a dozen player, but for a 6th round pick to still be around means it is difficult to criticize the selection.

A solid, if unspectacular draft. Can't complain.

2010 is a little harder. Majority head into important years of their development. The 1st round selections have been assessed by many, so no need to look there. Big years for McFarland and Petrovic. Petrovic needs to take that step into being an NHL player, whilst McFarland needs to cement himself as an AHL player. Petrovic is a much more interesting player at this point.

I assume Brickely is finishing his college career this year. Don't like him as a prospect, so no interesting upside there. Never really liked the pick, don't like it now. Need to see major improvements to rekindle any realistic NHL aspirations.

Basaraba isn't a legitimate NHL prospect.

Brittain was a promising prospect who has had injury problems. Final year of college and needs to rebound.

Gallacher returns to college i presume this year. Long-shot.

Donskoi no longer in the system and isn't an NHL prospect. Just never progressed from a promising 18 year old season.

Hyman isn't a legitimate NHL prospect at this point.

Durocher isn't on the NHL radar anymore.

Boyd is someone i frankly know nothing about.

Basically, this draft will live and die by the success of its first and second rounders. The rest of the draft has flamed out already. I don't see significant upside in Howden and i need to see Bjugstad translate his offense to the pro level. Gudbranson will be a good NHL player, but we took him at #3 where you are practically guaranteed to get an above average NHL player.

Old
09-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Looking at back at some of the drafts, few more little observations.

2008 is becoming more comfortable to assess at this point. Markstrom is actually the hardest to project (which is natural for the position).
Robak is now in the critical zone. I don't think the upside is there to be anything more than lower end reliable PMD, but time is running out. After 3 years in the AHL, the jump needs to made sooner rathan than later.

Comrie isn't with the organisation anymore, though he's actually made progress recently.

Jenks can be written off.

Bartowski seems to be a borderline NHL player for the Bruins, though i am completely unaware of whether he is likely to stick with them this year.

All in all, 5 years later and the draft is still of hope rather than results. Markstrom of course hopefully will make this draft a worthwhile exercise, whilst hope still exists that Robak may be a servicable NHL defenseman. With so few picks (and no 1st round pick) expectations can't be that high, but the fact we still have no concrete performer from this draft is a little disappointing.

2009 is in that zone where assumptions begin to become a little more concrete. We got two NHL players with our first two picks. Hard to fault that. Kulikov incites differences of opinion between fans, but he's a talented player with remaining upside and furthermore, value. Shore has progressed nicely at all levels since draft day and with his size, intelligence and level of responsibility, should be able to assume a long and stable career in the NHL as an average scoring forward to a great defensive 3rd line center.

The rest as far as the Panthers are concerned represent little hope of any further fortune. Birkholz has disappointed at every level since draft day and can effectively be written off. The speed and shot hasn't amounted to any tangible performance or production.

Wilson too, can effectively be removed from the memory as a significant NHL prospect. He still hasn't established himself as an AHL player 2 years removed from graduating from the OHL.

Knight will be interesting to follow. Progressed nicely since draft day and possesses good size, skating and defensive abilities that project him to be a servicable NHL player. Unfortunately wasn't signed, but that is hardly the fault of our scouts. Usually, if a late round prospect still has obvious NHL credentials 4 years + from the draft, it's not a bad selection at all.

Megan like Knight hasn't had a full pro year yet, but has much less NHL prospects. Signed on AHL contract for this year (as far as i am aware). Wouldn't hold out of a ton of hope, but faces a critical year ahead.

Timmins is a curious draft pick. Not much upside or NHL level offensive abilities, but has seen some NHL action and performs his role admirably. Problem is, it is a competitive world for the type of role he is trying to fill. NHL future is undetermined, whether it be with Florida or somewhere else. Dime a dozen player, but for a 6th round pick to still be around means it is difficult to criticize the selection.

A solid, if unspectacular draft. Can't complain.

2010 is a little harder. Majority head into important years of their development. The 1st round selections have been assessed by many, so no need to look there. Big years for McFarland and Petrovic. Petrovic needs to take that step into being an NHL player, whilst McFarland needs to cement himself as an AHL player. Petrovic is a much more interesting player at this point.

I assume Brickely is finishing his college career this year. Don't like him as a prospect, so no interesting upside there. Never really liked the pick, don't like it now. Need to see major improvements to rekindle any realistic NHL aspirations.

Basaraba isn't a legitimate NHL prospect.

Brittain was a promising prospect who has had injury problems. Final year of college and needs to rebound.

Gallacher returns to college i presume this year. Long-shot.

Donskoi no longer in the system and isn't an NHL prospect. Just never progressed from a promising 18 year old season.

Hyman isn't a legitimate NHL prospect at this point.

Durocher isn't on the NHL radar anymore.

Boyd is someone i frankly know nothing about.

Basically, this draft will live and die by the success of its first and second rounders. The rest of the draft has flamed out already. I don't see significant upside in Howden and i need to see Bjugstad translate his offense to the pro level. Gudbranson will be a good NHL player, but we took him at #3 where you are practically guaranteed to get an above average NHL player.
I'm pretty sure Megan is one of our prospects, and not on an AHL contract. He's listed on hockeysfuture.

Old
09-25-2013, 08:49 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I'm pretty sure Megan is one of our prospects, and not on an AHL contract. He's listed on hockeysfuture.
The deadline to sign him to an ELC was Aug 15th and that has come and gone without a deal. He is in camp on a PTO and they are working to get an AHL 2-way deal done.

Old
09-25-2013, 03:22 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Shout out to my boy TMI for changing the title, since for some reason I couldn't even though I've made this thread.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:01 AM
gizmo12688

5th round pick from the 2013 draft, Christopher Clapperton, is tied for 1st in points in all of the QMJHL with 14pts in 6 games.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Old
10-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Brickley was actually showing some promise, making big steps ahead in his freshman year. Team USA camp, got a tendon severed by a skate early on (if I recall) and was rehabbing for months. When he returned he simply wasn't the same player.

Can't remember if he's got a year left or is already done. Cats didn't do much to pay attention to last year. The first Coach's Show of the season is on the radio tomorrow morning so I'll know more then.

10-02-2013, 07:51 AM
CapeShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Brickley was actually showing some promise, making big steps ahead in his freshman year. Team USA camp, got a tendon severed by a skate early on (if I recall) and was rehabbing for months. When he returned he simply wasn't the same player.

Can't remember if he's got a year left or is already done. Cats didn't do much to pay attention to last year. The first Coach's Show of the season is on the radio tomorrow morning so I'll know more then.
I follow all of our university boys. Brick worked through a severed leg tendon injury after the WJC for several months. He ruptured his chest pect (working out) in the spring which needed months of rehab. Then early last season he severed his wrist that required reconstruction surgery. However, word from d-camp this summer is that he showed up with these injuries behind him as among our best conditioned, best hands, head and quickest athletes at 200+ lbs to put himself back on the priority to sign plan. (if he stays healthy of course).

Old
10-04-2013, 07:00 PM
BostonCollegeFan

Lines are not solid yet but McCoshen and Matheson are paired together and both on the point for the first power play unit for BC. Matheson is going to have a big year.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:17 AM
gizmo12688

Chris Clapperton now has 17 points in 7 games, leading scorer in QMJHL

Old
10-05-2013, 12:17 PM
FinlandPanther

Trocheck with an assist yesterday in his first game a 2-1 loss.

Closed Thread