HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Official Ron Hextall as Flyers GM endorsement Thread

Old
10-01-2013, 10:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
The Official Ron Hextall as Flyers GM endorsement Thread

Sooner rather than later..please. The below article has spurred my sense of urgency...

I know this seems highly reactionary given the fact that this season hasn't even started but Holmgren to me has just been too inconsistent as a GM. Not sure if Snider's meddling has played into it but I would like Hextall as GM before he splits like Lombardi did. I said at the time that the Flyers made mistake letting him go...

It's better to be proactive than reactive like the Flyers have been. Lavi should have been canned this offseason like I endorsed and now I'm petitioning for Holmgren's ouster..

Please post your endorsements or arguments against ...keep it civil

Quote:
Clearly, the road is fully paved for Hextall to advance.

“That’s not why I am here,” Hextall said. “It is my goal in the end to be a general manager. But when and where and how and if, who knows? Just one day at a time, to do my job and see where it goes.”

Hextall was the guy who pieced together a lot of those young faces in Los Angeles. The sounding board who advised Lombardi on trades -- Mike Richards, Jeff Carter -- and free-agent signings. He brings a different education, he says.

“Anybody you work for is educational,” Hextall said. “Clarkie (Bobby Clarke) and Homer and Dean Lombardi. Anybody you work for, it’s educational. You learn different ideas and different philosophies. To see the way another organization runs, it’s educational.”

When you’ve been in hockey a long time, then finally win a Cup as a member of management after being robbed of such at least once as a player, it’s easier to walk away to another organization.

Hextall felt he had achieved his goal with the Kings.

“Winning did make a difference in my decision,” he said. “When you spend seven years and build something, you want to see it through and I really did see it through. Was that a factor? Absolutely.

“If we would not have won it and you had built a team six or seven years, you kind of want to see it through. That played into my decision, for sure. Also, when you go outside an organization, you learn.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...season-started
RELATED: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1498701

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 10-01-2013 at 04:19 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 11:07 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Sooner rather than later..please. The below article has spurred my sense of urgency...

I know this seems highly reactionary given the fact that this season hasn't even started but Holmgren to me has just been too inconsistent as a GM. Not sure if Snider's meddling has played into it but I would like Hextall as GM before he splits like Lombardi did. I said at the time that the Flyers made mistake letting him go...

It's better to be proactive than reactive like the Flyers have been. Lavi should have been canned this offseason like I endorsed and now I'm petitioning for Holmgren's ouster..

Please post your endorsements or arguments against ...keep it civil
But if they do, Homer will be given an office beside Clarke!

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 11:10 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
But if they do, Homer will be given an office beside Clarke!
Meh...mere figure heads.....Hextall will lop off their heads with his stick if they meddle too much.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:29 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm all for Hextall being next in line, though my thoughts are known about Homer so I will just leave it at that to avoid an all-out Beef vs. DFF war on the analysis of Homer's tenure as GM.

My only problem is this: how long before the crowd turns on Hextall? Many of us love Hextall (myself included...I named my cat after him!). I would hate to have to hate Hextall for being a crappy GM. Haha.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 11:32 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Clarke was a crappy GM and people still love him I suppose

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 11:37 AM
captainpaxil

The thing that delights/scares me about hextall is i think he has patience. Building through the draft isnt beyond him and i could totally see him allowing the team to suck/develop over several years. Does he have enough credibility to rebuild the franchise into his team is a tough question. i think so but it doesnt make it easy.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Hextall has never been a GM. We have no clue how he will perform in that role, so an endorsement for wanting him as a GM is more an endorsement for wanting Homer Gone. If you want Homer gone , that is fine. But Wanting Hextall as the GM just makes no sense since he has never acted in that capacity before and we have no history in what to judge his ability to be a GM.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 12:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Hextall has never been a GM. We have no clue how he will perform in that role, so an endorsement for wanting him as a GM is more an endorsement for wanting Homer Gone. If you want Homer gone , that is fine. But Wanting Hextall as the GM just makes no sense since he has never acted in that capacity before and we have no history in what to judge his ability to be a GM.
I disagree with this. Hextall has been an assitant GM for a while now. The next logical step is for him to be a GM. He's done a good job as an assistant thus far, not a stretch to think he'd be good as the head hancho. It's like wanting a heralded rookie to get the start. He's excelled in the minors and/or juniors to this point, I want to see him in the pros.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Semi-true.....have my concerns but right now I'm not sure who is a better alternative. I think he's got enough experience and I think learning under Lombardi is a benefit to him. Plus Snider still likes to keep it in the family as we all know (to the organization's detriment) so Hextall is a decent option since he did spend time outside the Flyers echo chamber as he notes.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I disagree with this. Hextall has been an assitant GM for a while now. The next logical step is for him to be a GM. He's done a good job as an assistant thus far, not a stretch to think he'd be good as the head hancho. It's like wanting a heralded rookie to get the start. He's excelled in the minors and/or juniors to this point, I want to see him in the pros.
But this is all speculation on your part. We don't know if he went up to lombardi saying dont trade for jeff carter, dont sign drew doughty to that extension, don't trade bernier.

WE have no clue what hextall did in his role as assistant GM.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I assume Hextall is the clear cut successor, but I don't think it happens soon.

10-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Garbage Goal

Homer has always and probably will for a while longer receive more leeway then he deserves.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
But this is all speculation on your part. We don't know if he went up to lombardi saying dont trade for jeff carter, dont sign drew doughty to that extension, don't trade bernier.

WE have no clue what hextall did in his role as assistant GM.
Come on. That could be said about anyone in a "front office" role. We don't know what anyone does in the front office, really, including the GM. The only reasonable assumption is that the assistant GM is #2 in command. He probably has the second most say in anything that goes on. Any other assumption is without any kind of basis. You can speculate that he doesn't have a big say in anything, but without any basis there is nothing to that speculation. At least speculating that he does have a big say is based on the fact that he is #2 in command.

He was #2 on a Cup winning team. It is safe to assume that he did a good job in his role as the assistant GM, despite the fact that we don't know "exactly" what he did. Any other assumption or speculation is where you run into problems with the speculation. Res ipsa loquitor...it speaks for itself.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Garbage Goal

Every GM was a non-GM at some point without experience at it. So I don't see how that's a knock on Hextall.

If anything, considering Hextall has more experience then most guys without GM experience (with both a SC winning LA team, as a legendary starting goalie in Philly, and as an assistant GM) it's probably a reason to argue for him to be next in line more then anything.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Holmgren sees tough road ahead

Time to get out of the kitchen Paul....step aside for Chef Ronald Hextall

BTW count this as the first installment of the GM having to motivate Lavi's players....not a good start or omen..

Quote:
PAUL HOLMGREN is feeling the heat.

So much so, in fact, that Holmgren wasn't going to wait until the regular season starts tomorrow to voice his displeasure with the performance of a few of his players in a characterless 1-5-1 preseason.

"We weren't a playoff team last year. Then to have a preseason like we had, it bothers me," Holmgren said. "I've addressed a couple individuals. In the last couple days, I think the players that we have realized it and picked it up a couple notches in practice."

The Flyers have missed the playoffs just nine times in 46 seasons. It has been 2 decades since Ed Snider's franchise has gone back-to-back years without qualifying for Lord Stanley's chase.

Now, the road has gotten even tougher to accomplish what was once considered mundane for one of the NHL's proudest franchises.

Holmgren said he was talking with another general manager yesterday and they spoke about the difficulty of making the playoffs in the parity-filled NHL - let alone being a bona-fide Stanley Cup contender.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...IJszHgkrFAf.99

Old
10-01-2013, 03:49 PM
MP92

Im not Homer's biggest fan by any means but Im also not his biggest critic either. I am really interested to see how Hexy would run a team and I prefer that team to be the Flyers.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:08 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Oh boy. Another former Flyer player as GM. Because that's worked so well for the last 30 years.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Oh boy. Another former Flyer player as GM. Because that's worked so well for the last 30 years.
True but seriously with Snider still breathing oxygen ..this is the best we can ask for. As noted..at least he spent some time away from the organizational group think..

Old
10-01-2013, 04:13 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
The thing that delights/scares me about hextall is i think he has patience. Building through the draft isnt beyond him and i could totally see him allowing the team to suck/develop over several years. Does he have enough credibility to rebuild the franchise into his team is a tough question. i think so but it doesnt make it easy.
Hextall might have the patience to do something like that but Ed Snider doesn't. I still think some of the reason that Holmgren gets criticized has to do with decisions he made while under pressure from Snider. So on one hand, I think a change probably needs to be made at GM, but on the other hand, I wonder if the bigger issues aren't because of the owner.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Hextall might have the patience to do something like that but Ed Snider doesn't. I still think some of the reason that Holmgren gets criticized has to do with decisions he made while under pressure from Snider. So on one hand, I think a change probably needs to be made at GM, but on the other hand, I wonder if the bigger issues aren't because of the owner.
I think this is a valid observation. I know in a recent post season interview where he talked about the Bryz mistake he said that there is lots of "debate" between him, the owner and Lukko. The question is who is winning the majority of those debates especially when they might not really be debates but actually diktats....

Old
10-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Time to get out of the kitchen Paul....step aside for Chef Ronald Hextall

BTW count this as the first installment of the GM having to motivate Lavi's players....not a good start or omen..
It begins.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:40 PM
kicksave27

For all the crap Clarke takes, he was actually a really good GM. No GM makes the right move every time. Homer is rather innovative as a GM, and yes he tends to have cap issues because his owner wants to spend as much as possible to get a winner. If Pronger never gets hurt, he's sitting quite pretty. Hextall is now part of the circle, so if a "bad" move is made, don't assume hexy had no input. That being said I love Ron Hextall, and am really happy he is around in any capacity. He's a class guy off the ice, and hope he's involved in the carnival somehow.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm curious to see what they'll do when the next GM search comes up. I know people always mention the "family business" thing but Colin Campbell was offered the GM job before Homer last go around. So I'm not 100% sure if they'll definitely go in house again.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
For all the crap Clarke takes, he was actually a really good GM. No GM makes the right move every time. Homer is rather innovative as a GM, and yes he tends to have cap issues because his owner wants to spend as much as possible to get a winner. If Pronger never gets hurt, he's sitting quite pretty. Hextall is now part of the circle, so if a "bad" move is made, don't assume hexy had no input. That being said I love Ron Hextall, and am really happy he is around in any capacity. He's a class guy off the ice, and hope he's involved in the carnival somehow.
Just curious how much of Clarke's two stints as GM did you experience and at what age were you making these observations bc he really wasnt that great of a GM ..at all. Great player..so so GM.

Old
10-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Psuhockey

I am not sure what Hextall has done to warrant such admiration as an assistant GM. LA was terrible for a long time, which is something he cant do in Philly, and acquired a ton of draft choices. There was a lot of misses in those choices: Thomas Hickey, Colton Teubert, and Derek Forbort from the 1st round. He got there in June of 2006 so I am not sure if Bernier and Lewis is on him but it is not an impressive record for 1st round drafting especially compared to Holmgren.

LA was terrible for a long time, sold off their team multiple times at the deadline, and acquired a lot of picks and thus assets that they traded to get over the top. That strategy, though successful, does not work with the Flyers ownership and 18,000 season ticket holders. He will be under a totally different set of circumstances and expectations here. Nothing about LA will apply to Philly. Case in point, fans calling for Holmgren to be fired after missing the playoffs once during a strike shortened season.

Last edited by Psuhockey: 10-02-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote