HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

New Cleveland Hockey team mentioned on the Cavaliers playoff game

Old
05-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Timl2009

vCash: 500
New Cleveland Hockey team mentioned on the Cavaliers playoff game

As I was listening on the radio to the Cavaliers/Detroit playoff game at work for a few minutes Cavs broadcaster Joe Tait actually gave a plug for clevelandprohockey.com..And I think that it was mentioned that fans would have a say in naming the team..

I think just the fact we're hearing plugs for the new team during a Cavs playoff game-A year before we take to the ice..is a great sign..

Timl2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2006, 08:47 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Funny that you say that because as I was watching the game on 43 WUAB I say an ad on one of the boards in the arena say "help name the new hockey team."

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2006, 06:56 PM
dekem

If I recall, the Barons name was brought back by popular demand. Is that name now in disfavour due to the San Jose disaster?

dekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:41 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekem
If I recall, the Barons name was brought back by popular demand. Is that name now in disfavour due to the San Jose disaster?
Although I would love to keep that name, the reason you mention will probably keep it from being used.

Old
05-22-2006, 05:34 AM
Timl2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
Although I would love to keep that name, the reason you mention will probably keep it from being used.
Unfortunately that might be a distinct possibility. However, The Name "Barons" can still work if the new team fully embraces the past Barons history by educating younger fans as to how great the Origianl AHL Barons franchise truly was. Also The Original Barons Blue and White uniforms could be brought back with the 1960's Barons logo..maybe tweaked slightly for modern times. I think where the Sharks went wrong was in incorporating the "Shark" motif into the Barons logo..It might not have been such an issue if San Jose actually cared about being here and promoting the team but ultimately the team just didnt feel like "the Barons" to me. It's like they "hijacked" the past AHL Barons history and seemed to give "lip service" to it As I said on another board, they might as well have called the team the "Cleveland Sharks" and been done with it..

I also think they could revive the Cleveland Pro Hockey Hall of Fame. I think there was such a thing in the past (correct me if I'm wrong).All this being said, I would not object if they went with a name such as Crusaders or Lumberjacks though we actually took that from Muskegon in the IHL days..Education is the key in making any of this work though and I have confidence that if they want these things to be done Dan Gilbert and company can put the effort into it..

Tim Lones

Last edited by Timl2009: 05-22-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old
05-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
It's time to distance themselves from the Barons name and let the legacy live. That said, I bet Crusaders wins out now. It sounds similar to the Cavaliers, kind of the similar idea. I'd like to see some very creative thinking, though. I've always been partial to 'Blizzard' and have a white-out night, where tickets are 50% if you wear white. Just something clever like that to increase attendance and a cheaper night out.

Mr Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 06:37 PM
pelts35.com

How about not resurrecting a previously used name and come up with something original?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 07:17 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
How about not resurrecting a previously used name and come up with something original?
What do you suggest? Nothing wrong with the past as the name Barons has a lot of history behind it. If a new name is not too crazy I'm fun with that as well. Can't think of anything new that doesn't sound dumb.

Old
05-26-2006, 12:50 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Dan:

The name "Barons" has now essentially been resurrected 4 times, the Original Barons, then the NHL version, the ill-fated move to Jacksonville back in 1973-74, and now this version, you'd understand why we all are suggesting an original name like Pelts is suggesting, because if Barons does get used again, who's not going to think of the San Jose version to replace "Grizzlies" that Gilbert bought.

Cleveland needs a fresh start without baggage from the past so that it can ultimately succeed without constantly being reminded.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 06:49 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
What do you suggest? Nothing wrong with the past as the name Barons has a lot of history behind it. If a new name is not too crazy I'm fun with that as well. Can't think of anything new that doesn't sound dumb.
Given that the team is owned by the same owners as the Cavs, perhaps a play on that theme?

How about

The Lakers
The Chill, Freeze, etc

BTW, Tim, I see your point about the Sharks incorporating their color scheme and logo, but you have to admit they did a great job of it and made one of the best looking logos and jerseys in hockey.

Old
05-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Given that the team is owned by the same owners as the Cavs, perhaps a play on that theme?

How about

The Lakers
The Chill, Freeze, etc

BTW, Tim, I see your point about the Sharks incorporating their color scheme and logo, but you have to admit they did a great job of it and made one of the best looking logos and jerseys in hockey.
The Lakers? No chance with Gilbert having such a stake in the NBA. The Chill? No, I believe there's a team in Columbus or somewhere named the Chill. Storm is out too as its an ECHL team in Toledo. Freeze works. I'd still vote for Blizzard. But since it will be up the fans as a public vote (more than likely), Barons or Crusaders will probably wind up winning out. Although, I agree, that the team needs to distance itself from the past and acquire its own identity.

As a side, Pelts or Hutch, I know you guys are avid AHL followers. Who do you think will wind up being this team's affiliate? I know CGY and FLA are definite possibilities now. Are there any affiliations ending after the 06-07 season that are potential suitors?

Mr Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 09:09 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brownstone
The Lakers? No chance with Gilbert having such a stake in the NBA. The Chill? No, I believe there's a team in Columbus or somewhere named the Chill. Storm is out too as its an ECHL team in Toledo. Freeze works. I'd still vote for Blizzard. But since it will be up the fans as a public vote (more than likely), Barons or Crusaders will probably wind up winning out. Although, I agree, that the team needs to distance itself from the past and acquire its own identity.

As a side, Pelts or Hutch, I know you guys are avid AHL followers. Who do you think will wind up being this team's affiliate? I know CGY and FLA are definite possibilities now. Are there any affiliations ending after the 06-07 season that are potential suitors?
I didn't even take into consideration the Lakers and its NBA reference.

The Columbus Chill are no longer an operating hockey club.

It's way too soon to say who their potential NHL affiliate is. And whether you may or may not know, speculation is not permissible.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 05-30-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old
05-26-2006, 09:50 AM
NEOhioHockeyFan

As for a name, you can go one of 3 ways I think:

Historical: Barons or Crusaders. I think the Barons should be laid to rest. Start new. Crusaders would be ok. I dig the purple.

Geographical: We're near lake erie. Lakers wouldn't fly, but something like Breakers could work. That would be my suggestion.

Ownership: alot of people think the name and colors should be linked to the Cavs. I don't have alot of opinions on that. Wine and gold are ok and with the right logo and mascot, anything can work. Crusaders could fit in with that, same kind of ring to it. You could use the classic colors or cavs colors. An original name I thought of was Corsairs. A pirate-ty, sword-sy kind of thing.

I just think it's a waste for them to have a name the team contest or whatever. For this to work, you need to treat Cleveland like a brand new market. You have to show people what you have and why they want it. It's not like Worcester where you had all these people clamoring for a new hockey team. You have to cultivate a fanbase first. Come out with the name and logo and a mascot... do some appearances... Indians, Aeros, Captains, Browns games... give out vouchers. Even if we aren't affiliated yet, try to land an NHL pre-season game. Host an exhibition game for Youngstown (like the game they played last season VS Toledo of the ECHL). Unfortunately there doesn't look like there's going to be any Jr hockey to promote with locally, but have the Holy War on Ice thing again, maybe some other HS games. Those types of things. Then when it gets close to beginning of the season, get the print, TV and radio ads going.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

The pro Lacrosse team in Toronto is called the Rock, I suggest that Cleveland use the same for the new hockey team. Cleveland Rock sound good and it has connection to the city and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. (just a thought)

PS- Glad to see Cleveland will be back, we always enjoy our weekend roadtrips when the Bulldogs visit.

Bulldog fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
The pro Lacrosse team in Toronto is called the Rock, I suggest that Cleveland use the same for the new hockey team. Cleveland Rock sound good and it has connection to the city and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. (just a thought)

PS- Glad to see Cleveland will be back, we always enjoy our weekend roadtrips when the Bulldogs visit.
Ya have the Drew Carrey show's theme song by Weezer also "Cleveland Rocks" as a ready to go entrance song.

Clash* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 07:30 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

Rock has already been used though in Cleveland remember the WNBA Rockers franchise the Gunds had before the Barons basically took the # 2 slot as the sports alternative date-wise to the Cavaliers and before the James hyperbole or mania took hold,

btw, MLS is coming to Toronto in the same year as Cleveland and that team is just dubbed FC Toronto.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
btw, MLS is coming to Toronto in the same year as Cleveland and that team is just dubbed FC Toronto.
Do you even know what the FC stands for or why a lot of the MLS teams are going with that type of name? For that matter, what does it have to do with the price of tea in China?

Clash* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Football Club ??????????????? Don't really care at all.

Bulldog fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Timl2009

BTW, Tim, I see your point about the Sharks incorporating their color scheme and logo, but you have to admit they did a great job of it and made one of the best looking logos and jerseys in hockey.[/QUOTE]

I actually liked the logo when they first moved to Cleveland from Kentucky..And it would have been fine if they cared about making the total franchise successful but as has been said here and other places, They had no intention of doing so, especially when Gund left the picture.

Old
05-27-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Football Club ??????????????? Don't really care at all.
Yes, Football Club

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2006, 10:14 PM
theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Ya have the Drew Carrey show's theme song by Weezer also "Cleveland Rocks" as a ready to go entrance song.

That song is actually performed by The Presidents of the United States of America.

theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
It's way too soon to say who their potential NHL affiliate is. And whether or may nor may not know, speculation is not permissible.
Awesome! POY Candidate!

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 04:59 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Any new info on the Cleveland franchise?I haven't seen any updates on the official site.