HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Hal Gill signed to a one-year contract worth $700,000 (Oct. 1)

Old
10-01-2013, 12:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Probably with last change, too.

I LOL'd

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 12:59 PM
dats81

vCash: 500
Ok for a Veteran reserve player who likely won't play more than 15-20 games at most. Hopefully. And a guy who they can slot into the roster on short notice come playoff time in case of an injury who knows exactly how he has to play in this league.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
This is fine on its own, but shows why you don't sign guys like Gervais, Lilja to more than one year deals.

Theres really no reason to have both Gill and Gervais on this roster other than the fact that Gervais turned out to be atrocious
Quote:
It's only one year.

That's the only positive thing about this. This is another guy who's basically useless. Gill is as poorly suited for a Lavi-coached team as a player gets.
What these guys said.

It's just another really bad minor signing in a series of really bad minor signings by Homer. Thing is they add up though.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Its 700k, stop ****ing *****ing.

He is an awful player though

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:19 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
What these guys said.

It's just another really bad minor signing in a series of really bad minor signings by Homer. Thing is they add up though.
I can't view this as a bad minor signing, Gill can kill penalties if he sees the ice surface, he can block shots if he sees the ice surface, he has played more than 1100 games in the NHL.....

While the Lilja and whoever signed to 2 years was bad, this is not.

Based on the injuries last year and the question marks (some have) this is a solid signing - b/c Gill does what he does and does that well. There is NO flash (no pun intended b/c he is slow)

What would you rather, a vet who knows the game and his role, or a younger not as smart hockey player who may or may not do the right things while he is on the ice?

experience usually wins..... usually...

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
Its 700k, stop ****ing *****ing.

He is an awful player though
Gill, Gervais, and Mez total 5.5 million dollars. That's a ******** of cap spent on bottom pairing/scratched players. Most teams don't do that, for good reason...it's not wise cap management.

Like I said, the only good thing about this is term. Homer managed to avoid giving him 2-3 years this time.

10-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I can't view this as a bad minor signing, Gill can kill penalties if he sees the ice surface, he can block shots if he sees the ice surface, he has played more than 1100 games in the NHL.....

While the Lilja and whoever signed to 2 years was bad, this is not.

Based on the injuries last year and the question marks (some have) this is a solid signing - b/c Gill does what he does and does that well. There is NO flash (no pun intended b/c he is slow)

What would you rather, a vet who knows the game and his role, or a younger not as smart hockey player who may or may not do the right things while he is on the ice?

experience usually wins..... usually...
There's literally too many things to say to get my thoughts coherent right now so I'll just list off the reasons why this is a bad signing.

1) There's literally not an NHL-established player I can think of that fits a team's needs and system less then Gill and the Flyers. He's slow, old, and defensively-oriented. That's the exact opposite of what we need and what our system calls for.

2) He's a utility player with a lot of wear-and-tear on him.

3) Our blue-line is or was already really deep even without him. The problem wasn't having 7th D ready to go. We already have that in spades. The problem was finding top tier D and puck-movers/offensively-oriented D. So this might as well be taking up 700k and contract space for the sake of taking up 700k and contract space.

4) He looked bad in the preseason.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Gill, Gervais, and Mez total 5.5 million dollars. That's a ******** of cap spent on bottom pairing/scratched players. Most teams don't do that, for good reason...it's not wise cap management.

Like I said, the only good thing about this is term. Homer managed to avoid giving him 2-3 years this time.
Like I said, it adds up quickly. Then again it's only 700k and one contract spot so "stop ****ing *****ing".

Only team I can think of that spends as much cap on lower line players is the 9 mil or so Nashville is spending on their 4th forward line.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

But Gill and Gervais only take up cap space if they are on the roster, right?

Either one can be sent down to the AHL and their cap hit disappears, no?

That's why I don't have an issue with this signing. Yes, it takes up a contract spot, but given Grossmann's status, Gill seems a reasonable insurance policy.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

That's why I don't have an issue with this signing. Yes, it takes up a contract spot, but given Grossmann's status, Gill seems a reasonable insurance policy.
And guys like Gervais, Gustafsson, etc. didn't already provide that?

Old
10-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
And guys like Gervais, Gustafsson, etc. didn't already provide that?
For Grossmann? I don't really see it that way. Very different kinds of players.

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Mezsaros-Grossmann
Gustafsson/Gill
Gervais

Gus is the insurance policy for Timonen, Streit, and Mezsaros--Gervais is in line behind him. Neither one of them can replace what Grossmann brings if he goes out. I'm not sure, at this stage, that Gill can either, but he's a closer match.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:

I'm not sure how reasonable he is, considering his age and abilities when compared to what Lavi is trying to do with the team.

The bottom 5-7 are Mez, Gus, and Gill. That's still 5.7 million bucks. That's still terrible.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
For Grossmann? I don't really see it that way. Very different kinds of players.

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Mezsaros-Grossmann
Gustafsson/Gill
Gervais

Gus is the insurance policy for Timonen, Streit, and Mezsaros--Gervais is in line behind him. Neither one of them can replace what Grossmann brings if he goes out. I'm not sure, at this stage, that Gill can either, but he's a closer match.
That would make sense if a guy like Grossman fit what Laviolette tries to do with the team (meaning the system and all), but he doesn't.

At this point a guy like Gustafsson could replace Grossman in time of injury and it wouldn't be a downgrade from a guy like Gill (AKA the big, old, slow Pylon that can PK).

Old
10-01-2013, 01:43 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I tried to go the other direction and find some upside. It's sparse.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I'm not sure how reasonable he is, considering his age and abilities when compared to what Lavi is trying to do with the team.

The bottom 5-7 are Mez, Gus, and Gill. That's still 5.7 million bucks. That's still terrible.
Well, I've been a pretty vocal advocate for moving Mezsaros, which seems to be your point. I don't see how signing Gill as an emergency #8 type is related to Mez getting paid #3-4 Dman money to play as a #6.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:

If Gill is sent to the AHL, his full $700K counts towards the cap.

From Capgeek, quoting the CBA:

Quote:
Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract or in the event of a buyout.
Quote:

To be fair, the majority of that $5.7M is the Mez contract.

10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Like others have said...Gill is the least suited player on D to play Lavis system. He is about as mobile as a tree sloth shot with a tranquilizer.....

It will be interesting to see how Gill fares with another coach depending on who it is. Maybe Murray would still use him when necesssary but another coach might let him rot in the pressbox even with injuries.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

Ah damnit I forgot about the 35+ rule. Well, now I am a little pissed about this signing. I mean it was bad before and it still is but now it affects the cap no matter what? Poo.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Like others have said...Gill is the least suited player on D to play Lavis system. He is about as mobile as a tree sloth shot with a tranquilizer.....

It will be interesting to see how Gill fares with another coach depending on who it is. Maybe Murray would still use him when necesssary but another coach might let him rot in the pressbox even with injuries.
I guess I'm just not going to get overly concerned about what an 8/9 type defenseman brings to the table in terms of fitting into a system--if he's playing, we're already in trouble. He's a good lockerroom / practice guy and someone who is capable of killing penalties if he has to play. Both of those things have some (very limited) value.

The only scenario in which he sees the ice, it seems, is one in which both Mezsaros and Grossmann are hurt (I think Gustafsson probably dresses if just one of them are out). In that hypothetical scenario, our line-up would be something like:

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Gill
Gervais

If you don't have Gill, you'd have to roll Gus/Gervais, which seems worse to me. Neither Gus nor Streit figure to be get a lot of PK time.

Anyway, it isn't like I'm praising the signing, I just don't see the disastrous downside that some of you guys do.

Quote:

That's only for multi-year deals, no?

Old
10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This signing isn't really a big deal one way or another. I don't get why people get so upset over the signing of a #8 defender. Guess what, every single player who is the #8 guy on the depth chart isn't very good. If they are old vets at #8, they suck. If they are young kids, most of them suck. That is why they are #8 on the depth chart. Gil sucks. No doubt. But he brings a more defensive aspect to the team that none of the young guys, who also suck for the most part, bring to the team. This isn't a bad signing. This isn't a good signing. It's just depth that hopefully will never have to be used but is nice to have in case of emergency.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
dilbert719

Quote:

Quote:
Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract or in the event of a buyout.
Gill's deal isn't multi-year. There may be another criterion under which it counts, but that provision has nothing to do with Gill.

dilbert719 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:

To be fair, the majority of that $5.7M is the Mez contract.
It is, but it's still there. We really don't need to be spending more money and use another contract slot on our bottom D when we have a platoon of those guys sitting around already.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I guess I'm just not going to get overly concerned about what an 8/9 type defenseman brings to the table in terms of fitting into a system--if he's playing, we're already in trouble. He's a good lockerroom / practice guy and someone who is capable of killing penalties if he has to play. Both of those things have some (very limited) value.

The only scenario in which he sees the ice, it seems, is one in which both Mezsaros and Grossmann are hurt (I think Gustafsson probably dresses if just one of them are out). In that hypothetical scenario, our line-up would be something like:

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Gill
Gervais

If you don't have Gill, you'd have to roll Gus/Gervais, which seems worse to me. Neither Gus nor Streit figure to be get a lot of PK time.

Anyway, it isn't like I'm praising the signing, I just don't see the disastrous downside that some of you guys do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This signing isn't really a big deal one way or another. I don't get why people get so upset over the signing of a #8 defender. Guess what, every single player who is the #8 guy on the depth chart isn't very good. If they are old vets at #8, they suck. If they are young kids, most of them suck. That is why they are #8 on the depth chart. Gil sucks. No doubt. But he brings a more defensive aspect to the team that none of the young guys, who also suck for the most part, bring to the team. This isn't a bad signing. This isn't a good signing. It's just depth that hopefully will never have to be used but is nice to have in case of emergency.
You guys don't get it and frankly you seem to be the guys overreacting. If you look through the topic pretty much everyone recognizes it's a minor signing. In fact, you two are the only ones to use words like "disastrous downside", "upset", etc.

Most of us are just recognizing it's a bad, redundant signing. The fact that Homer has at least one of these annually is also annoying as well.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:57 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Stupid.

Going to be Kubina 2.0

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Gill
Gervais

It's not disastrous and it can be pushed under the rug but how many times have we had similar arguments with marginal players that really provide little to no added value? This lockerroom presence argument is too overblown...what have these locker room guys like Cote, Shelley etc done to actually affect the win column and the inconsistency of the teams we've seen?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote