HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - LII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2013, 03:29 PM
  #51
arttk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Again, you lose 4 games to nothing you don't get to make excuses, IMO. That falls on the players. Not on the refs or the coaches.
Except getting screwed by the refs is a fact. 15 penalties ( and the timing of them) in 2 games compared to like 5 or 6 for us? We WERE the statistical anomaly because no other series had such discrepancy. To dismiss it just as an excuse is shallow in my point of view. Hell even in the preseason we can see the refs are still screwing around with us, I am not sure how it is possible to think that referring can not be a factor.

arttk is offline  
Old
10-01-2013, 08:29 PM
  #52
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,257
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I do agree even if a high percentage of my posts these days consist of poking holes in the rubber sheet brigade's "contributions" to the discussions on this board.
Had to Google what that meant, and oh is that low DBR.

vanuck is offline  
Old
10-01-2013, 08:43 PM
  #53
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,257
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
__________________________________________________

Anyways, my point is every prime contender in our division has question marks this season, it isn't just us. Our blueline is very solid, as is our goaltending, the only question marks are at the forward position. And even still, those question marks are no worse than other teams, and they are easily addressable.
Good post. Some perspective here is needed. Even a team like the Sharks has their own questions, particularly with respect to their depth and defence.

vanuck is offline  
Old
10-01-2013, 11:37 PM
  #54
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,571
vCash: 500
Botchford on Twitter has been talking about a Detroit - Vancouver trade that was being bandied about at the draft. I'm not going to post links to all of the posts, but he says the Canucks wanted three good young players and Detroit's first for Edler. He also said that a guess that it was Brendan Smith, Gustav Nyquist, Calle Jarnkrok and Detroit's first was 'close' and that the deal fell apart when Gillis wanted the pick.

It's probably just Botchford being Botchford, but it's interesting to think about nonetheless. I didn't really like the idea of trading Edler this summer, but if that's the type of return he could have gotten, I wouldn't have been too upset.

pitseleh is offline  
Old
10-01-2013, 11:59 PM
  #55
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Botchford on Twitter has been talking about a Detroit - Vancouver trade that was being bandied about at the draft. I'm not going to post links to all of the posts, but he says the Canucks wanted three good young players and Detroit's first for Edler. He also said that a guess that it was Brendan Smith, Gustav Nyquist, Calle Jarnkrok and Detroit's first was 'close' and that the deal fell apart when Gillis wanted the pick.

It's probably just Botchford being Botchford, but it's interesting to think about nonetheless. I didn't really like the idea of trading Edler this summer, but if that's the type of return he could have gotten, I wouldn't have been too upset.
3 pieces of junk and a late first for a top pairing primed defence man? Pass.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:05 AM
  #56
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,773
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
3 pieces of junk and a late first for a top pairing primed defence man? Pass.
If that offer were true, it's far from "junk" and if we were rebuilding it should have merited strong consideration.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:07 AM
  #57
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,651
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If that offer were true, it's far from "junk" and if we were rebuilding it should have merited strong consideration.
Reminds me of the Toronto package for Phaneuf.

__________________
May 17, 2014: The day nightlife changes in Vancouver...ask me how.
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:12 AM
  #58
arttk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If that offer were true, it's far from "junk" and if we were rebuilding it should have merited strong consideration.
Well we are not rebuilding, if we are rebuilding, we won't see the Sedins, Kesler here right?

Not sure if I am a fan of that deal, the deal itself is not bad but then the best player in the deal is Edler. We could've potential gotten a top pairing D and two top 6 forward and another draft pick but there is also the chance it could turn out to be like the Phaneuf trade.

arttk is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:20 AM
  #59
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Botchford on Twitter has been talking about a Detroit - Vancouver trade that was being bandied about at the draft. I'm not going to post links to all of the posts, but he says the Canucks wanted three good young players and Detroit's first for Edler. He also said that a guess that it was Brendan Smith, Gustav Nyquist, Calle Jarnkrok and Detroit's first was 'close' and that the deal fell apart when Gillis wanted the pick.

It's probably just Botchford being Botchford, but it's interesting to think about nonetheless. I didn't really like the idea of trading Edler this summer, but if that's the type of return he could have gotten, I wouldn't have been too upset.
Interesting. Don't like the deal without the 1st.

If I'm moving Edler, a player like Couturier/B. Schenn would need to be coming back as part of the package. If you're the Canucks and you're gifting another team a top pairing dman, you should get back a building block centreman...

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:24 AM
  #60
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,213
vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
3 pieces of junk and a late first for a top pairing primed defence man? Pass.
Nyquist is an absolute stud prospect and Smith is pretty good as well. They are far from junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttk View Post
Well we are not rebuilding, if we are rebuilding, we won't see the Sedins, Kesler here right?

Not sure if I am a fan of that deal, the deal itself is not bad but then the best player in the deal is Edler. We could've potential gotten a top pairing D and two top 6 forward and another draft pick but there is also the chance it could turn out to be like the Phaneuf trade.
How do you draw that parallel? Calgary acquired a plethora of journeymen and a declining Stajan, not young prospects, two of which had an excellent playoff run. Quite a bit of a difference, yes?

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:25 AM
  #61
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Nyquist is an absolute stud prospect and Smith is pretty good as well. They are far from junk.
Nyquist is 24 and tiny, and yet to crack the NHL. Smith is the same age and barely cracking Detroit as a regular blueliner (and don;t kid yourself their defence is bottom half of the league now) - that doesn't really scream bluechippers to me.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:33 AM
  #62
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,213
vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Nyquist is 24 and tiny, and yet to crack the NHL. Smith is the same age and barely cracking Detroit as a regular blueliner (and don;t kid yourself their defence is bottom half of the league now) - that doesn't really scream bluechippers to me.
And? Detroit is notorious for slow cooking their prospects. Size is getting overrated somewhat lately. There are plenty of smaller forwards that find success in the NHL. While I am likely to decline the offer as we are not rebuilding. That offer is comparable to what Anaheim got for Bobby Ryan.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:35 AM
  #63
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,308
vCash: 507
That package isn't terrible like some here think, but it's definitely not what I'd trade Edler for. If I'm trading Edler, I'm getting a proven player that can make an impact now and the in the future. As good as Smith, Nyquist and Jarnkrok may be, they can easily bust as well.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:41 AM
  #64
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Again, you lose 4 games to nothing you don't get to make excuses, IMO. That falls on the players. Not on the refs or the coaches.
Sorry, but that game 2 loss was on the coach. We weren't good enough to win the series in any event but that one was badly bugled by the people behind the bench. Not saying "you're wrong & I'm right categorically"; only offering my view of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
That package isn't terrible like some here think, but it's definitely not what I'd trade Edler for. If I'm trading Edler, I'm getting a proven player that can make an impact now and the in the future. As good as Smith, Nyquist and Jarnkrok may be, they can easily bust as well.
Using another overused cliche'....the old changing a dollar for four coins (which might be each a loonie; but could just as likely be nickels).

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:41 AM
  #65
pahlsson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,179
vCash: 50
i can see why detroit passed, that's a hefty price even if it is based mostly on potential

pahlsson is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:43 AM
  #66
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,213
vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
That package isn't terrible like some here think, but it's definitely not what I'd trade Edler for. If I'm trading Edler, I'm getting a proven player that can make an impact now and the in the future. As good as Smith, Nyquist and Jarnkrok may be, they can easily bust as well.
Personally, if we were entertaining Edler offers. I would look to Strome. That kid is going to be special and Long Island could use someone like Edler.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:45 AM
  #67
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
That package isn't terrible like some here think, but it's definitely not what I'd trade Edler for. If I'm trading Edler, I'm getting a proven player that can make an impact now and the in the future. As good as Smith, Nyquist and Jarnkrok may be, they can easily bust as well.
My point exactly.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 12:48 AM
  #68
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,308
vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Using another overused cliche'....the old changing a dollar for four coins (which might be each a loonie; but could just as likely be nickels).
Perfectly put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Personally, if we were entertaining Edler offers. I would look to Strome. That kid is going to be special and Long Island could use someone like Edler.
He'd be a good target for sure, but I still wouldn't mind a more 'proven' type of player in return.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 01:01 AM
  #69
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,001
vCash: 500
Edler is young still. Why trade him to start a rebuild when he's the youngest guy in our top 4?

arsmaster is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 01:07 AM
  #70
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Edler is young still. Why trade him to start a rebuild when he's the youngest guy in our top 4?
because he can fetch alot? depends how much he is worth to some teams.

David71 is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 01:32 AM
  #71
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,561
vCash: 500
Detroit definitely makes sense as a destination for Eddie, I just don't know if them and us are good trading partners at this juncture.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 01:32 AM
  #72
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,308
vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Edler is young still. Why trade him to start a rebuild when he's the youngest guy in our top 4?
Definitely would be tough to trade him, but he could garner a good return.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 01:54 AM
  #73
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Definitely would be tough to trade him, but he could garner a good return.
true. maybe 1 nhl roster player, 1 ready prospect or 2.+a 1st rounder?

David71 is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 01:57 AM
  #74
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,308
vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
true. maybe 1 nhl roster player, 1 ready prospect or 2.+a 1st rounder?
If we could get some GM to offer that, I think we take a long look at it.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
10-02-2013, 02:00 AM
  #75
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 11,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Interesting. Don't like the deal without the 1st.

If I'm moving Edler, a player like Couturier/B. Schenn would need to be coming back as part of the package. If you're the Canucks and you're gifting another team a top pairing dman, you should get back a building block centreman...
Yup.

Trading a substantially above-average player for three middling, easily replaceable players isn't how you build a quality team.

MS is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.