HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - LII

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2013, 03:29 PM
arttk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Again, you lose 4 games to nothing you don't get to make excuses, IMO. That falls on the players. Not on the refs or the coaches.
Except getting screwed by the refs is a fact. 15 penalties ( and the timing of them) in 2 games compared to like 5 or 6 for us? We WERE the statistical anomaly because no other series had such discrepancy. To dismiss it just as an excuse is shallow in my point of view. Hell even in the preseason we can see the refs are still screwing around with us, I am not sure how it is possible to think that referring can not be a factor.

Old
10-01-2013, 08:29 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I do agree even if a high percentage of my posts these days consist of poking holes in the rubber sheet brigade's "contributions" to the discussions on this board.
Had to Google what that meant, and oh is that low DBR.

Old
10-01-2013, 08:43 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post

Anyways, my point is every prime contender in our division has question marks this season, it isn't just us. Our blueline is very solid, as is our goaltending, the only question marks are at the forward position. And even still, those question marks are no worse than other teams, and they are easily addressable.
Good post. Some perspective here is needed. Even a team like the Sharks has their own questions, particularly with respect to their depth and defence.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:37 PM
pitseleh

Botchford on Twitter has been talking about a Detroit - Vancouver trade that was being bandied about at the draft. I'm not going to post links to all of the posts, but he says the Canucks wanted three good young players and Detroit's first for Edler. He also said that a guess that it was Brendan Smith, Gustav Nyquist, Calle Jarnkrok and Detroit's first was 'close' and that the deal fell apart when Gillis wanted the pick.

It's probably just Botchford being Botchford, but it's interesting to think about nonetheless. I didn't really like the idea of trading Edler this summer, but if that's the type of return he could have gotten, I wouldn't have been too upset.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:59 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Botchford on Twitter has been talking about a Detroit - Vancouver trade that was being bandied about at the draft. I'm not going to post links to all of the posts, but he says the Canucks wanted three good young players and Detroit's first for Edler. He also said that a guess that it was Brendan Smith, Gustav Nyquist, Calle Jarnkrok and Detroit's first was 'close' and that the deal fell apart when Gillis wanted the pick.

It's probably just Botchford being Botchford, but it's interesting to think about nonetheless. I didn't really like the idea of trading Edler this summer, but if that's the type of return he could have gotten, I wouldn't have been too upset.
3 pieces of junk and a late first for a top pairing primed defence man? Pass.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
If that offer were true, it's far from "junk" and if we were rebuilding it should have merited strong consideration.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:07 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If that offer were true, it's far from "junk" and if we were rebuilding it should have merited strong consideration.
Reminds me of the Toronto package for Phaneuf.

10-02-2013, 12:12 AM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Well we are not rebuilding, if we are rebuilding, we won't see the Sedins, Kesler here right?

Not sure if I am a fan of that deal, the deal itself is not bad but then the best player in the deal is Edler. We could've potential gotten a top pairing D and two top 6 forward and another draft pick but there is also the chance it could turn out to be like the Phaneuf trade.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post

Interesting. Don't like the deal without the 1st.

If I'm moving Edler, a player like Couturier/B. Schenn would need to be coming back as part of the package. If you're the Canucks and you're gifting another team a top pairing dman, you should get back a building block centreman...

Old
10-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Nyquist is an absolute stud prospect and Smith is pretty good as well. They are far from junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttk View Post
Well we are not rebuilding, if we are rebuilding, we won't see the Sedins, Kesler here right?

Not sure if I am a fan of that deal, the deal itself is not bad but then the best player in the deal is Edler. We could've potential gotten a top pairing D and two top 6 forward and another draft pick but there is also the chance it could turn out to be like the Phaneuf trade.
How do you draw that parallel? Calgary acquired a plethora of journeymen and a declining Stajan, not young prospects, two of which had an excellent playoff run. Quite a bit of a difference, yes?

Old
10-02-2013, 12:25 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Nyquist is an absolute stud prospect and Smith is pretty good as well. They are far from junk.
Nyquist is 24 and tiny, and yet to crack the NHL. Smith is the same age and barely cracking Detroit as a regular blueliner (and don;t kid yourself their defence is bottom half of the league now) - that doesn't really scream bluechippers to me.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Nyquist is 24 and tiny, and yet to crack the NHL. Smith is the same age and barely cracking Detroit as a regular blueliner (and don;t kid yourself their defence is bottom half of the league now) - that doesn't really scream bluechippers to me.
And? Detroit is notorious for slow cooking their prospects. Size is getting overrated somewhat lately. There are plenty of smaller forwards that find success in the NHL. While I am likely to decline the offer as we are not rebuilding. That offer is comparable to what Anaheim got for Bobby Ryan.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:35 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
That package isn't terrible like some here think, but it's definitely not what I'd trade Edler for. If I'm trading Edler, I'm getting a proven player that can make an impact now and the in the future. As good as Smith, Nyquist and Jarnkrok may be, they can easily bust as well.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Again, you lose 4 games to nothing you don't get to make excuses, IMO. That falls on the players. Not on the refs or the coaches.
Sorry, but that game 2 loss was on the coach. We weren't good enough to win the series in any event but that one was badly bugled by the people behind the bench. Not saying "you're wrong & I'm right categorically"; only offering my view of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
That package isn't terrible like some here think, but it's definitely not what I'd trade Edler for. If I'm trading Edler, I'm getting a proven player that can make an impact now and the in the future. As good as Smith, Nyquist and Jarnkrok may be, they can easily bust as well.
Using another overused cliche'....the old changing a dollar for four coins (which might be each a loonie; but could just as likely be nickels).

Old
10-02-2013, 12:41 AM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
i can see why detroit passed, that's a hefty price even if it is based mostly on potential

Old
10-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Personally, if we were entertaining Edler offers. I would look to Strome. That kid is going to be special and Long Island could use someone like Edler.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:45 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
My point exactly.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:48 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Using another overused cliche'....the old changing a dollar for four coins (which might be each a loonie; but could just as likely be nickels).
Perfectly put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Personally, if we were entertaining Edler offers. I would look to Strome. That kid is going to be special and Long Island could use someone like Edler.
He'd be a good target for sure, but I still wouldn't mind a more 'proven' type of player in return.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:01 AM
arsmaster

Edler is young still. Why trade him to start a rebuild when he's the youngest guy in our top 4?

Old
10-02-2013, 01:07 AM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Edler is young still. Why trade him to start a rebuild when he's the youngest guy in our top 4?
because he can fetch alot? depends how much he is worth to some teams.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:32 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Detroit definitely makes sense as a destination for Eddie, I just don't know if them and us are good trading partners at this juncture.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:32 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Definitely would be tough to trade him, but he could garner a good return.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:54 AM
David71

Quote:
Definitely would be tough to trade him, but he could garner a good return.
true. maybe 1 nhl roster player, 1 ready prospect or 2.+a 1st rounder?

Old
10-02-2013, 01:57 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
true. maybe 1 nhl roster player, 1 ready prospect or 2.+a 1st rounder?
If we could get some GM to offer that, I think we take a long look at it.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:00 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Interesting. Don't like the deal without the 1st.

If I'm moving Edler, a player like Couturier/B. Schenn would need to be coming back as part of the package. If you're the Canucks and you're gifting another team a top pairing dman, you should get back a building block centreman...
Yup.

Trading a substantially above-average player for three middling, easily replaceable players isn't how you build a quality team.

Closed Thread