HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

NB/PEI midget AAA 2013/2014 season

Old
09-26-2013, 05:18 PM
hockey4life13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns64 View Post
Did Bertrand tryout last year for midget ? I hope to catch the game in Moncton Saturday any chance the Bertrand kid will play Saturday or is he gone back to his club team.
Yes Bertrand tried out and was cut last year. He played high school for the french school ecole st anne which is a AA league as opposed to the 2 main AAA high school teams in Fredericton , Leo Hayes and FHS. The caliber of hockey at the high school AA level is no where near the AAA high school level. No idea if he is in the line up this weekend , he may play filling in while Leblanc is out until his club team starts up.

hockey4life13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:56 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey4life13 View Post
Yes Bertrand tried out and was cut last year. He played high school for the french school ecole st anne which is a AA league as opposed to the 2 main AAA high school teams in Fredericton , Leo Hayes and FHS. The caliber of hockey at the high school AA level is no where near the AAA high school level. No idea if he is in the line up this weekend , he may play filling in while Leblanc is out until his club team starts up.
Does it really matter AA or AAA high school hockey is not even close to AAA midget. I watched several high school games last year at both levels hard to tell the difference

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:04 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Someone said Bertrand played HS last year as a grade 10, but came back and tried out with the Midget team. What does the coach do??? Makes him an AP and takes the 99. Sorry Tony, it doesn't sound like they had to resort to anything in this case.
Big difference in playing for an overmatched AA high school team and a powerhouse AAA team. The AAA HS teams usually retain their players for their entire midget age. And for every player that makes the move from HS to AAA you can probably name 2 or 3 that go the other way in their last year of midget in Fredericton. For most kids if they don't make AAA their first year the ship has sailed and they are staying with HS.

A few years ago FHS had a top line that was comparable to any top line in AAA and none of those kids went out for AAA and had no interest in either going back to play AAA or making the switch over from HS. Is this the norm? No, but it has happened.

And I'm not advocating for taking an underage player, just giving a reason. Obviously they aren't going to leave out any midget age player that can play top 6 minutes, but if an underager is good enough to be on the team then the coach is going to want him on the team, regardless of whatever rules are in place.

Do I think Hoyt should be playing Bantam? yeah I think it's good for kids to learn to be leaders and the player to be relied on. Same thing with Leblanc, Plourde and Kenny last year.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:24 PM
hockey4life13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTinglebone View Post
Big difference in playing for an overmatched AA high school team and a powerhouse AAA team. The AAA HS teams usually retain their players for their entire midget age. And for every player that makes the move from HS to AAA you can probably name 2 or 3 that go the other way in their last year of midget in Fredericton. For most kids if they don't make AAA their first year the ship has sailed and they are staying with HS.

A few years ago FHS had a top line that was comparable to any top line in AAA and none of those kids went out for AAA and had no interest in either going back to play AAA or making the switch over from HS. Is this the norm? No, but it has happened.

And I'm not advocating for taking an underage player, just giving a reason. Obviously they aren't going to leave out any midget age player that can play top 6 minutes, but if an underager is good enough to be on the team then the coach is going to want him on the team, regardless of whatever rules are in place.

Do I think Hoyt should be playing Bantam? yeah I think it's good for kids to learn to be leaders and the player to be relied on. Same thing with Leblanc, Plourde and Kenny last year.
Very much agreed , a few years years ago FHS had a top line with 2 McLeans ( not related) and Barnhill. They had all gone to HS in their last year. The AA teams don't compare but the AAA HS teams do draw from our midget AAA program.

Last edited by hockey4life13: 09-26-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: take away from I meant
Old
09-27-2013, 08:16 AM
ns64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey4life13 View Post
Very much agreed , a few years years ago FHS had a top line with 2 McLeans ( not related) and Barnhill. They had all gone to HS in their last year. The AA teams don't compare but the AAA HS teams do draw from our midget AAA program.
No high school hockey in PEI that is why they have such a good midget minor program.High school hockey is more about the social life and being the big guy on campus.

ns64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Canada4Gold1

Scott is suspended for tonight's game against Saint John for his hit on Hoyt.

http://www.nbpeimajormidget.com/site...ge=Suspensions

Canada4Gold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:16 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold1 View Post
Scott is suspended for tonight's game against Saint John for his hit on Hoyt.

http://www.nbpeimajormidget.com/site...ge=Suspensions
I see Chiasson and Cloutier both got 3 games for their tangle on Saturday night.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 11:21 AM
hockey4life13

Quote:
I see Chiasson and Cloutier both got 3 games for their tangle on Saturday night.
Rightfully so , nasty hit from behind and nasty cross check to the face/neck. Guess the door is open for young Bertrand in Fredericton , forward Bamford walked out after the game yesterday and quit the team.

Old
09-30-2013, 06:30 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I have watched Cloutier play a few times this year he plays with an edge, sometimes to much of an edge.Chiasson is an agitator and the shot he gave deserved some type of retaliation.

Old
09-30-2013, 07:04 PM
IslandScouter

Looks like the league should be closer than last year, always good to see

IslandScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScouter View Post
Looks like the league should be closer than last year, always good to see
Moncton won't dominate like last year,

Hawks
Vito's
Canadiens
Islanders
Rivermen
Wild

IMO

Old
10-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post

Hawks
Vito's
Canadiens
Islanders
Rivermen
Wild

IMO
Don't see how you can have the Rivermen second last when they beat both Fredericton and Moncton. Their only loss is 1-0 to the Vitos in a shootout. Not to mention they haven't had their original team play together yet and they've had to take 2-3 AP players each game.

With the games played so far:
Vitos
Rivermen
Flyers
Islanders
Canadiens
Wild

Last edited by Canada4Gold1: 10-02-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old
10-01-2013, 07:26 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Don't see how you can have the Rivermen second last when they beat both Fredericton and Moncton. Their only loss is 1-0 to the Vitos in a shootout. Not to mention they haven't had their original team play together yet and they've had to take 2-3 AP players each game.

With the games played so far:
Vitos
Rivermen
Hawks
Islanders
Canadiens
Wild
It's obvious that you have a connection to Miramichi and that's fine I wish them luck.My opinion is based on what I have watched during the Jamboree , exhibition and the first few regular season games.I will bookmark this and get back to you in March.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Dogpound

Quote:

Hawks
Vito's
Canadiens
Islanders
Rivermen
Wild

IMO
Who are the Hawks?

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:12 AM
ns64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
Who are the Hawks?
I would think it was suppose to be Flyers ?

Old
10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
IslandScouter

Whats the status of Alexandre Jacob?

IslandScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:03 PM
ns64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScouter View Post
Whats the status of Alexandre Jacob?
Last I heard he is out until Sometime in November

Old
10-03-2013, 09:34 PM
la8

Who do we see as top players in the league this year? Any predictions out there?

[QUOTE=Canada4Gold1;70158103]I'm going to base my opinion on how many players the team took last year and from how guys played last year as well as what I've seen this summer. I'm not going to do the two island teams as I noticed that players can switch teams at will sometimes. Not sure why this happens but here goes with the NB teams:

Miramichi

Forwards
Plourde-Gendron-Castonguay
Theriault-Savoie-Beaulieu
Gallant-Woulds-Scott
Kenny-?-?

Not sure if Castonguay returns since he played some games with Campbellton Jr A last year. Roch Theriault, Eddie Banville, Tristan Young and Casey Ward would be the front runners for the spots that come to mind.

Defensemen
Warman-Lurette
Robichaud-?
Hebert-?

The real problem for the Rivermen is their defense. Robichaud could play Jr A in Campbellton (some say he's a lock) and I don't think Hebert was ready last year but he could be this year. None of the teams that Miramichi draw from have players that come to mind to fill the void. Elijah Francis would be a huge add if he doesn't return to Notre Dame.

Goalies
Vautour
?

If the Rivermen find defensemen to fill the void they could place higher than last year. Heard Landry has made Sea Dogs.

Francis Theriault is currently playing for the Campbellton Tigers Jr A as a 16 year old.

la8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:23 AM
Canada4Gold1

[QUOTE=la8;71960331]
Quote:
I'm going to base my opinion on how many players the team took last year and from how guys played last year as well as what I've seen this summer. I'm not going to do the two island teams as I noticed that players can switch teams at will sometimes. Not sure why this happens but here goes with the NB teams:

Miramichi

Forwards
Plourde-Gendron-Castonguay
Theriault-Savoie-Beaulieu
Gallant-Woulds-Scott
Kenny-?-?

Not sure if Castonguay returns since he played some games with Campbellton Jr A last year. Roch Theriault, Eddie Banville, Tristan Young and Casey Ward would be the front runners for the spots that come to mind.

Defensemen
Warman-Lurette
Robichaud-?
Hebert-?

The real problem for the Rivermen is their defense. Robichaud could play Jr A in Campbellton (some say he's a lock) and I don't think Hebert was ready last year but he could be this year. None of the teams that Miramichi draw from have players that come to mind to fill the void. Elijah Francis would be a huge add if he doesn't return to Notre Dame.

Goalies
Vautour
?

If the Rivermen find defensemen to fill the void they could place higher than last year. Heard Landry has made Sea Dogs.

Francis Theriault is currently playing for the Campbellton Tigers Jr A as a 16 year old.
Already mentioned in an earlier post that he was there and that it's highly unlikely that the Rivermen take him back if Campbellton releases him since they have made it clear to players that if you start the year in Jr A you will not play Rivermen if your Jr A team tries to send you there. Have you been to any of the games he's played in? I'm curious to know if he's playing on the 2nd line or not? I can't see him on the first line. If he isn't playing 2nd line wouldn't this be a waste of a year? I know Will Bower and Matt Paul would only stay if they were given top minutes at their positions for Woodstock Jr A. It looks like Bower got top minutes while Paul didn't so he left Woodstock.

Last edited by Canada4Gold1: 10-05-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old
10-05-2013, 12:52 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
As in CIHA? The Major Bantam team that didn't win a game all year last year?
Shocker, CIHA is 0-7-1 and Blake Jamieson has 3 points in 8 games...

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 08:03 AM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Shocker, CIHA is 0-7-1 and Blake Jamieson has 3 points in 8 games...
i cant see how those teams can develop players, the difference between their top and bottom players is staggering

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:19 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2hockey View Post
i cant see how those teams can develop players, the difference between their top and bottom players is staggering
There are so many of these schools now and it is hard to get quality player's, it has become more of a business. Not many years ago you had to tryout for the teams now some of these schools have to take player's that are not good enough but need to fill the roster. Besides Notre Dame and Shattuck the two best known schools who draw top end player's on there reputation and past history these other schools are just in it for the money.

JMO

Old
10-05-2013, 11:46 AM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
There are so many of these schools now and it is hard to get quality player's, it has become more of a business. Not many years ago you had to tryout for the teams now some of these schools have to take player's that are not good enough but need to fill the roster. Besides Notre Dame and Shattuck the two best known schools who draw top end player's on there reputation and past history these other schools are just in it for the money.

JMO
I agree - Speaking of Notre Dame, they will be coming into Atlantic Canada for this years Monctonian along with 5 teams from Ontario

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 12:37 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2hockey View Post
I agree - Speaking of Notre Dame, they will be coming into Atlantic Canada for this years Monctonian along with 5 teams from Ontario
Yes they are, I hear the Argos are the team coming they may be strong enough to take a run at the Telus Cup this year. Also a good time to do some recruiting and promote the program Del Pedrick spends a lot of team in the east during the summer.

Old
10-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
Yes they are, I hear the Argos are the team coming they may be strong enough to take a run at the Telus Cup this year. Also a good time to do some recruiting and promote the program Del Pedrick spends a lot of team in the east during the summer.
I was just about to ask which team was coming. I'm hoping the Argos since Elijah Francis from Miramichi's area is on that team. More scouts will be able to see him for this year's up coming draft.