HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greatest Performance ever by a Canadian

Old
11-03-2006, 11:12 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Greatest Performance ever by a Canadian

What is the Greatest Performance by a Canadian ever at a major tournament?

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

vCash: 500
A tie. Wayne and Mario at the 1987 Canada Cup.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

You can't go wrong with Gretzky or Lemieux for obvious reasons but you have to give recognition to Henderson for his exploits in 72.. scoring the winning goals in the last three games of the series.

Orr 76 after watching the DVD's is also a solid choice.... would have liked to see him on two knees though (in a Canucks jersey of course)

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Snap Wilson

Melissa Auf Der Maur's performance in Hole's "Celebrity Skin" video. Rrrrowwrrr.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 12:03 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Paul Henderson's goal.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 12:37 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Frank Frederickson for the Winnipeg Falcons in the 1920 Antwerp Winter Olympic games. He scored 7 goals in the final contest.

http://www.winnipegfalcons.com

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 12:40 PM
SenorDingDong

Darryl Sittlers 10 point night?

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 03:37 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
Darryl Sittlers 10 point night?
That happened in the NHL. I'm talking about international tournaments.

A lot of people are mentioning Henderson. He scored some very huge goals in that tournament but Esposito played better than him. Canada needed to win 3 games in Moscow. Esposito led Canada and without him I don't think they would win. Esposito's performance ranks right up there with Gretzky's and Lemieux's, if not higher.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 04:01 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
That happened in the NHL. I'm talking about international tournaments.

A lot of people are mentioning Henderson. He scored some very huge goals in that tournament but Esposito played better than him. Canada needed to win 3 games in Moscow. Esposito led Canada and without him I don't think they would win. Esposito's performance ranks right up there with Gretzky's and Lemieux's, if not higher.
Esposito put that Canadian team on his back in 1972. His speech after Game 4 in Vancouver really was the turning point in the series. Henderson scored the three straight game-winning goals, but Espo set the table.

Bobby Orr, on one leg in his final moment of glory, was magnificent in the 1976 Canada Cup. Rogie Vachon was Canada's 1A as far as MVP consideration.

A couple wingers who don't get enough recognition: John Tonelli in 1984 and Steve Larmer in 1991. Tonelli was the MVP of the 84 Canada Cup, and for good reason. He assisted on the overtime winner against the USSR in the semi-final, scored over a point-per-game, and was an all-round force. Larmer was very effective in the 1991 tournament. Coming off the best year of his career, he would have been a very reasonable choice as MVP. Need a goal? He'd score it. Check the opposing team's top forward? He'd do it. Win a battle in the corner? Larms got the job done.

As for the WJC, one performance stands above the rest: Manny Legace in 1992-93 in Sweden. Legace went from an obscure Quebec league goalie who'd be passed over in the draft twice, to a national hockey hero.

Canada was coming off an embarassing sixth place finish, and they had a young team that was expected to get a learning experience, in the hopes that they'd be ready to challenge for gold the following year. (Canada might have one or two undrafted players on their team most years. They had a lot that year). Legace was brilliant, especially during a 5-4 win over the heavily favoured host team, the Swedes.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 04:47 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
I think Henderson scoring 3 winners in a row is so unlikely and legendary it has to stand as the performance.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Marcus-74

Wayne´s five point night in the 2nd game of the ´87 Canada Cup finals makes you almost want to forgive him his hair...

Henderson, Esposito and Park all deserve a mention for their performance in the game 8 of the you-know-what-series.

Marcus-74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 08:00 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
A tie. Wayne and Mario at the 1987 Canada Cup.
Yep

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post

As for the WJC, one performance stands above the rest: Manny Legace in 1992-93 in Sweden. Legace went from an obscure Quebec league goalie who'd be passed over in the draft twice, to a national hockey hero. Canada was coming off an embarassing sixth place finish, and they had a young team that was expected to get a learning experience, in the hopes that they'd be ready to challenge for gold the following year. (Canada might have one or two undrafted players on their team most years. They had a lot that year). Legace was brilliant, especially during a 5-4 win over the heavily favoured host team, the Swedes.
Legace played for the Niagara Falls Thunder. Born in TO.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Big Phil

This argument shoudl go no further than Gretzkyin '87 or Espo in '72. Under the circumstances both men faced tons of pressure. Gretzky was playing against what many say was the best Soviet team ever to hit the ice. And the pace the game was played at he was a giant among superstars.
Espo was under more extreme conditions though I think. They were in Russia back at the height of the Cold War. Other than Orr, Espo was the best player in the game and he was counted on to deliver. I love Tonelli's '84 tourny though as well, I wish that was mentioned more often. That was pure heart

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:46 AM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This argument shoudl go no further than Gretzkyin '87 or Espo in '72. Under the circumstances both men faced tons of pressure. Gretzky was playing against what many say was the best Soviet team ever to hit the ice. And the pace the game was played at he was a giant among superstars.
Espo was under more extreme conditions though I think. They were in Russia back at the height of the Cold War. Other than Orr, Espo was the best player in the game and he was counted on to deliver. I love Tonelli's '84 tourny though as well, I wish that was mentioned more often. That was pure heart
Agree that Espo put on a great performance in 72 but to say "Other than Orr, Espo was the best player in the game is a reach" Most points in an the NHL season do not necessarily = Best player in the game.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:44 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
Legace played for the Niagara Falls Thunder. Born in TO.
But maybe he played in the Quebec league? Not actually meaning he's from Quebec.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 06:59 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Agree that Espo put on a great performance in 72 but to say "Other than Orr, Espo was the best player in the game is a reach" Most points in an the NHL season do not necessarily = Best player in the game.
Well if you can name a guy who was a better player than Esposito in 1972 I'd like to hear it. Aside from Orr of course. You've got Hull and maybe Ratelle. Neither one was as good as Espo at the time. Hull is close but 133 points in a Cup winning season for a 1st team all-star is hard to beat.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 06:10 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Well if you can name a guy who was a better player than Esposito in 1972 I'd like to hear it. Aside from Orr of course. You've got Hull and maybe Ratelle. Neither one was as good as Espo at the time. Hull is close but 133 points in a Cup winning season for a 1st team all-star is hard to beat.
Standing in the slot & taking lots of shots does not make you the best player regardless of the points put up. Hull was definitely the better player.

Old
11-26-2006, 06:47 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Standing in the slot & taking lots of shots does not make you the best player regardless of the points put up. Hull was definitely the better player.
I dont know about the 60's but in the Canada Cup 76, I was disappointed by Hull's play. If he touched the puck, by god he was gonna shoot it. Defence - forget it. Hi sskating was weak also, Mind you he was 37.

I think Bowman had enough too and by the end, he and Espo werent seeing much ice it seemed to me.

Murray you saw him - Was he like that in the 60's and did that account for his 1 lonely Cup?

chooch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Mr_Jones*

Elisha Cuthbert in The Girl Next Door.

Mr_Jones* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
I dont know about the 60's but in the Canada Cup 76, I was disappointed by Hull's play. If he touched the puck, by god he was gonna shoot it. Defence - forget it. Hi sskating was weak also, Mind you he was 37.

I think Bowman had enough too and by the end, he and Espo werent seeing much ice it seemed to me.

Murray you saw him - Was he like that in the 60's and did that account for his 1 lonely Cup?
I watched the 76 Canada cup as it happened. In fact I bought my first colour TV because of it. I haven't watched it since but I do remember Hull as being very dominant in that series. He had the most goals for Canada and was only one point behind Orr & potvin for most points. He was 37 & wasn't going end to end as in his prime but he still looked pretty good to me.

In the 60's, he was absolutely dominant. Fastest skater & hardest shot. Never had the greatest linemates. Hawks only won one cup but that was more a reflection of bad coaching & non clutch goaltending. Hull was the marquee player in the 60's. Would wind up behind his own net & go end to end & take the big shot. Scored over 50 when it meant something.