HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Hal Gill signed to a one-year contract worth $700,000 (Oct. 1)

Old
10-01-2013, 02:51 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
This signing is really not much at all and shouldn't include this much drama.
must be new to these boards

you'll come to realize that every move the Flyers make will be blown out of proportion and there will at least be a small group that hate the move even if it's something like Giroux being extended

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:53 PM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh, you gotta have vets playing in the AHL as well. While it may take time away from younger players who are scratched or sent to the ECHL, I would imagine playing on a pairing with a guy with 1000+ NHL games would be good for that player. I know, I know, Gil sucks. But those 1000 NHL games probably have some value in a mentoring state, no?
hes got tremendous experience and great smarts for the game. Hes worth every dollar of that deal off the ice and probably more valuable in the ahl. what does lauridsen need to know about being a big slow stay at home d that hal gill cant teach him? i dont know that we could ask for a better situation for an 8th dman

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:54 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Too much drama for a 7th/8th defenseman signing.
Andreas Lilja, Lasse Kukkonen, Ossi Vaananen, Andrew Alberts, Lukas Krajicek, etc. all say hi.

This board loveesss to lose their **** over people even beneath the bottom pairing.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Andreas Lilja, Lasse Kukkonen, Ossi Vaananen, Andrew Alberts, Lukas Krajicek, etc. all say hi.

This board loveesss to lose their **** over people even beneath the bottom pairing.
Don't forget Ole-Kristian Tollefson

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:59 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Don't forget Ole-Kristian Tollefson
"We traded OKT for some plug that couldnt even crack the line-up in DET?!?!? Who the hell is the Leino scrub? UGGGHHHH! Holmgren this move will come back to haunt us when we have injuries on the blueline come playoff time!!!!"

Old
10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
"We traded OKT for some plug that couldnt even crack the line-up in DET?!?!? Who the hell is the Leino scrub? UGGGHHHH! Holmgren this move will come back to haunt us when we have injuries on the blueline come playoff time!!!!"
I don't quite think that was the reaction. I remember everyone being happy that Wolfy was gone

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Curufinwe

There was also way too much angst about trading a 2015 third rounder for Mason, and trading Harry Z for Rosehill.

People even *****ed about trading a conditional 7th rounder for Huskins who actually did a decent job here until White cheap-shotted him into oblivion, seemingly ending his NHL career.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 03:47 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
There was also way too much angst about trading a 2015 third rounder for Mason, and trading Harry Z for Rosehill.

People even *****ed about trading a conditional 7th rounder for Huskins who actually did a decent job here until White cheap-shotted him into oblivion, seemingly ending his NHL career.
Yeah, regardless of how a trade or signing goes down, there will always be people complaining about it, unless it is an undisputed hose-job by the Flyers. Every contract is too long by a year or two or too much money by a couple hundred thousand. Every trade the Flyers could have gotten more or given up less. Sometimes it is a couple people, sometimes it is an angry mob, but there will always be whiners around regardless of the moves that are made.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 03:50 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Yeah, regardless of how a trade or signing goes down, there will always be people complaining about it, unless it is an undisputed hose-job by the Flyers. Every contract is too long by a year or two or too much money by a couple hundred thousand. Every trade the Flyers could have gotten more or given up less. Sometimes it is a couple people, sometimes it is an angry mob, but there will always be whiners around regardless of the moves that are made.
Just like there will always be apologists right? Goes both ways if you want to generalize

BTW..cite the specific instances and the arguments rather than throwing out your typical blanket exaggerated statements

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 03:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
must be new to these boards

you'll come to realize that every move the Flyers make will be blown out of proportion and there will at least be a small group that hate the move even if it's something like Giroux being extended

There was a few people who actually thought the term was too long.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Just like there will always be apologists....just sayin'
Well sure, but it looks like there are far more overreactions to minor moves than over-defenses to big moves (or praise for minor moves). A minor move that the masses deem bad gets killed. For example, Homer gets killed for trading draft picks and signing guys to bad deals. Killed. Things from years ago get brought up like they are crimes against humanity. Every traded draft pick is a disaster. But no one talks about the draft picks that Homer has acquired. Sure, more have been traded than received (though, I don't know if I ever counted...just my assumption), but with every draft pick that is traded, Homer is called an idiot with poor asset management. Yet when he receives one it goes under the radar. With the reaction people have to trading picks, I would think a parade would be thrown whenever he acquired one. But that doesn't happen. He essentially got a third round pick for Ryan Parent. Imagine if he traded a third round for Ryan Parent!!!! My God the outrage would be uncontrollable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

There was a few people who actually thought the term was too long.
About $200k too much too! The horror!

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Well sure, but it looks like there are far more overreactions to minor moves than over-defenses to big moves (or praise for minor moves). A minor move that the masses deem bad gets killed. For example, Homer gets killed for trading draft picks and signing guys to bad deals. Killed. Things from years ago get brought up like they are crimes against humanity. Every traded draft pick is a disaster. But no one talks about the draft picks that Homer has acquired. Sure, more have been traded than received (though, I don't know if I ever counted...just my assumption), but with every draft pick that is traded, Homer is called an idiot with poor asset management. Yet when he receives one it goes under the radar. With the reaction people have to trading picks, I would think a parade would be thrown whenever he acquired one. But that doesn't happen. He essentially got a third round pick for Ryan Parent. Imagine if he traded a third round for Ryan Parent!!!! My God the outrage would be uncontrollable.

About $200k too much too! The horror!
Congrats you just proved my argument that the dude is wildly inconsistent and doesn't seem to have a logical plan. He is highly reactionary and makes hodge podge moves whether they are marginal with no added value or extremely high risk but high reward. He is not a bad GM ..just not particularly logical.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:24 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Congrats you just proved my argument that the dude is wildly inconsistent and doesn't seem to have a logical plan. He is highly reactionary and makes hodge podge moves whether they are marginal with no added value or extremely high risk but high reward. He is not a bad GM ..just not particularly logical.
You two are at it again, huh? Can't we all just get along?

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:34 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Every thread slowly turns into a Holmgren or Laviolette *****fest. Just shut up already.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:37 PM
BringBackStevens

I don't buy the argument that he's a fill in for schenn or grossmann because he plays a similar style. If you can't play anymore, style means nothing.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 05:05 PM
3Fs

Quote:
This signing isn't really a big deal one way or another. I don't get why people get so upset over the signing of a #8 defender. Guess what, every single player who is the #8 guy on the depth chart isn't very good. If they are old vets at #8, they suck. If they are young kids, most of them suck. That is why they are #8 on the depth chart. Gil sucks. No doubt. But he brings a more defensive aspect to the team that none of the young guys, who also suck for the most part, bring to the team. This isn't a bad signing. This isn't a good signing. It's just depth that hopefully will never have to be used but is nice to have in case of emergency.
Very good post...

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
Very good post...
DFF is wildly over-estimating how "upset" people are. It's possible to disagree with a move without being upset by it. I personally don't see the point and think there are more downsides than upsides, though it's marginal at best.

Edit: Though there is definitely no way Gill is suited for Lavi's system or the team, though.

10-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

What bothers me is that Gill is doomed a failure before the season even starts, or he even gets a chance to suit up for a game... Just how can Homer and Gill be condemned as if we already know that he will not be used in a manner which helps the team... or that injuries won't prove Homer's decision correct as Gill steps up and does a decent job in the pinch.

... Oh wait... I forgot who I was talking about and where the discussion was taking place. This is where all the people with inside information and better than NHL GM knowledge come to spend their idle time.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
DFF is wildly over-estimating how "upset" people are. It's possible to disagree with a move without being upset by it. I personally don't see the point and think there are more downsides than upsides, though it's marginal at best.

Edit: Though there is definitely no way Gill is suited for Lavi's system or the team, though.
Yeah, I said this earlier. People will keep ignoring it though and act as if we're up in arms about the Gill signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
What bothers me is that Gill is doomed a failure before the season even starts, or he even gets a chance to suit up for a game... Just how can Homer and Gill be condemned as if we already know that he will not be used in a manner which helps the team... or that injuries won't prove Homer's decision correct as Gill steps up and does a decent job in the pinch.

... Oh wait... I forgot who I was talking about and where the discussion was taking place. This is where all the people with inside information and better than NHL GM knowledge come to spend their idle time.
Ignorance and blind faith is awesome. Following the logic that we should agree with all moves simply by the virtue that Homer and company are the ones on the inside and we're not is not a good way to go about things. Following that logic it's impossible for professionals to make mistakes. Following that logic the whole Pronger 35+ misunderstanding, for instance, couldn't possibly have happened.

The bottom line is that they're people who make mistakes just like us. Most of the knowledge and access to information they have, we have. Only difference really is that they get to meet the players and make the decisions.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post

Dude, this isn't a combination of arcane secret wizardry and theoretical physics. It's sports. It's really not that hard. I remember when people said the same crap about the Bryzgalov signing when I voiced concerns.

Gill sucks and isn't a fit for the team. Gill is not at an age where improvement is likely. His signing is pointless, like Shelley and Kubina before him.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 05:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

When is disagreeing on a move on a online message board considered a big deal?

Sorry that some of us dont agree with it...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 05:58 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I don't quite think that was the reaction. I remember everyone being happy that Wolfy was gone
there was a fair share of people that thought the trade was meaningless and not needed

Old
10-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
there was a fair share of people that thought the trade was meaningless and not needed
Gill =/= Leino.

Leino was at least a fairly unknown quantity with potential for growth. Gill isn't close to either of those things.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:06 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Gill =/= Leino.

Leino was at least a fairly unknown quantity with potential for growth. Gill isn't close to either of those things.
the point of my post still stands

no matter what the move is, there will always be people here that criticize it

whether it's re-signing Giroux, signing Gill, or trading for Leino

Old
10-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
the point of my post still stands

no matter what the move is, there will always be people here that criticize it
...Okay? Isn't it common sense that there's always going to be people who don't agree with others opinions? Especially on a message board forum meant for discussion?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote