HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill signed to a one-year contract worth $700,000 (Oct. 1)

Old
10-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
the point of my post still stands

no matter what the move is, there will always be people here that criticize it

whether it's re-signing Giroux, signing Gill, or trading for Leino
Cool. And there will always be people defending every move, no matter how bad. That's gonna happen on the internet.

Edit: You'll have to show me these people who were against the Leino trade though. OKT wasn't popular and as I recall it was a necessity. I don't remember anybody being against it, per se.

10-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
When is disagreeing on a move on a online message board considered a big deal?

Sorry that some of us dont agree with it...
I don't think anyone has a problem with disagreement--I know I don't.

I was just a bit confused when some posters seemed so negative regarding the move. I am more ambivalent. I still don't see the downside that others do--I guess that's the point.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 10-01-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:09 PM
RJ8812*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

I was just a bit confused when some posters seemed so negative regarding the move. I was more ambivalent. I still don't see the downside that others do--I guess that's the point.
thank you

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

I was just a bit confused when some posters seemed so negative regarding the move. I was more ambivalent. I still don't see the downside that others do--I guess that's the point.
It's more about sheer redundancy, annual pointless/stupid signings that Gill is now a part of, and the small fact that Hal Gill is now listed on our NHL roster.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's more about sheer redundancy, annual pointless/stupid signings that Gill is now a part of, and the small fact that Hal Gill is now listed on our NHL roster.
Yep. Yet another signing that doesn't fit the team. Part of a larger trend.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
whats the worst that could happen...we dont have lilja or foster anymore atleast. Cant be as bad as kubina

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yep. Yet another signing that doesn't fit the team. Part of a larger trend.
Again, none of these are actually detrimental, are they?

The only real argument seems to be that he takes up a contract spot, and it seems to me that there are some guys who are even more clearly useless that never get talked about.

This feels like Homer bashing for no particular reason, that's all. I don't think anyone is psyched about the move, but to compare it to the Shelley signing or Kubina trade is a stretch. Both of those had tangible downsides (an over-market, multi-year deal for a role player, and giving up draft picks for a guy who didn't fit).

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

This signing doesn't register a feeling with me either way. Very "meh".

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kicksave27

Well, at least it's a 1 year deal, normally we sign over the hill Dmen to 2 year deals. You can never have too many Dmen. Homer learned that one after trading eric winerich and having no D left in 2003. He can be left alone in the press box and dusted off when needed. Once pronger is LTIR, they will have a nice cushion for once. Cheaper at this time of year then getting raked for 2nd rounders for D insurance.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
Again, none of these are actually detrimental, are they?

The only real argument seems to be that he takes up a contract spot, and it seems to me that there are some guys who are even more clearly useless that never get talked about.

This feels like Homer bashing for no particular reason, that's all. I don't think anyone is psyched about the move, but to compare it to the Shelley signing or Kubina trade is a stretch. Both of those had tangible downsides (an over-market, multi-year deal for a role player, and giving up draft picks for a guy who didn't fit).
As part of a larger trend of signing the wrong players for a hard forechecking team, yes, I would say it's all concerning. It makes me wonder what the line of thought is. "My coach wants fast players who can press, attack, and hop into the play if need be. I shall sign old, immobile players who cannot do that."

As part of the far larger and longer trend of the Flyers not even being able to develop a D prospect who could beat out Gill, it's also concerning. Gus is the first guy in ages to break through, and apparently he's all we've got.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:28 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Well, at least it's a 1 year deal, normally we sign over the hill Dmen to 2 year deals. You can never have too many Dmen. Homer learned that one after trading eric winerich and having no D left in 2003. He can be left alone in the press box and dusted off when needed. Once pronger is LTIR, they will have a nice cushion for once. Cheaper at this time of year then getting raked for 2nd rounders for D insurance.
That was Bob Clarke, Homer was the assistant GM at that time. Homer didn't get his start as the GM until the 2006-2007 season.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:31 PM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

I fail to see how signing Gill moves the team forward? That should be the litmus test for a GM even with marginal moves like this. Gill's ship has sailed. He is not a depth signing ..there is nothing particularly deep about it..literally and figuratively. Basically they should have kept the little powder they had dry bc this inanimate object will be a non factor just like Shelley and the other locker room good guys. Again how did Shelley and Cote help us in the win column or with the locker room discord or the inconsistency this team has shown season after season?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
As part of a larger trend of signing the wrong players for a hard forechecking team, yes, I would say it's all concerning. It makes me wonder what the line of thought is. "My coach wants fast players who can press, attack, and hop into the play if need be. I shall sign old, immobile players who cannot do that."

As part of the far larger and longer trend of the Flyers not even being able to develop a D prospect who could beat out Gill, it's also concerning. Gus is the first guy in ages to break through, and apparently he's all we've got.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I fail to see how signing Gill moves the team forward? That should be the litmus test for a GM even with marginal moves like this. Gill's ship has sailed. He is not a depth signing ..there is nothing particularly deep about it..literally and figuratively. Basically they should have kept the little powder they had dry bc this inanimate object will be a non factor just like Shelley and the other locker room good guys. Again how did Shelley and Cote help us in the win column or with the locker room discord or the inconsistency this team has shown season after season?
And thank you.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:57 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
This signing doesn't register a feeling with me either way. Very "meh".
This should have been everyone's response.

Amazing that a one-year $700K contract has fueled so much emotion.

10-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

On it's own in a vacuum it's nothing. Looking at it as part of the big picture I just can't be a fan of it.

Old
10-01-2013, 07:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm just hoping one of the kids can make a big leap in their development over the next calendar year (looking at one of Morin, Hagg, or Gostisbehere) because we need some skill one the backend ASAP.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 10-01-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old
10-01-2013, 07:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
On it's own in a vacuum it's nothing. Looking at it as part of the big picture I just can't be a fan of it.
You don't have to be a fan of it. I don't think anyone is saying this is a great move, or even a good one. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is a bad move. It is what many people are saying: a nothing depth move. It doesn't hurt our cap situation, it isn't going to prevent them from making a move down the line, it isn't going to stunt the development of anyone, and it should come in handy in mentoring younger guys down in ADK and could even come in handy if we need a guy to step in to action in a pinch.

Was this a necessary signing? Probably not, but again, that doesn't mean it is a bad one. That seems to be a distinction that people don't like to make around here...if it isn't a good signing or trade it is a bad signing or trade. There are no lateral moves. Everything either gets the GM fired or wins him GM of the year.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:08 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

"andreas nodl" for 2013.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:11 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
who was better for 700k?

depth vet that can pk. nobody is expecting hal gill to be 25m per night.

Old
10-01-2013, 07:15 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

this isn't new, and wasnt goingt to change in one offseason (barring trading giroux/voracek for assets).

for the first time in forever we actually have two top talent d prospects. come back in 2 years if they are signing gill then.

and if only risto fell, .#$%^ buffalo.

Old
10-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Sawdalite
RIPEd Thnx4Evrything

Quote:

Ignorance and blind faith is awesome. Following the logic that we should agree with all moves simply by the virtue that Homer and company are the ones on the inside and we're not is not a good way to go about things. Following that logic it's impossible for professionals to make mistakes. Following that logic the whole Pronger 35+ misunderstanding, for instance, couldn't possibly have happened.

The bottom line is that they're people who make mistakes just like us. Most of the knowledge and access to information they have, we have. Only difference really is that they get to meet the players and make the decisions.
Quote:
Dude, this isn't a combination of arcane secret wizardry and theoretical physics. It's sports. It's really not that hard. I remember when people said the same crap about the Bryzgalov signing when I voiced concerns.

Gill sucks and isn't a fit for the team. Gill is not at an age where improvement is likely. His signing is pointless, like Shelley and Kubina before him.
I love how you guys completely ignored the gist of my comment... that it has already been decided that Gill will fail and not help the team if there are injuries and the depth is needed... that somehow we can cut through the actual facts and just rely on opinion as if it has already occurred and hang the ********.

Also, I do believe it is a bit... quite a bit nave to believe that we who follow the sport are as knowledgeable as those who not only grew up with the sport as a way of life but also played the game at the highest level and been in the front office/leadership of Organizations for decades, and in some cases longer than some of us have been alive... If you want to take the simplistic view and believe that it is easy and we on the outside can do it better, then please go ahead... but excuse some of us who won't buy it.

Sure they make mistakes, but hindsight is always 20/20 and achievements are often ignored... One GM out of 30 each season wins the Cup while 29+ fail... some... many never win it over a career... so IMO the all or nothing bar of success is BS... and a GM can fail quite a bit and still be a success -- unlike us fans -- or are you saying that the owners who continue to hire GMs who make mistakes are less knowledgeable than we are also? Homer screws up... all GMs screw up... all I'm saying here is that Homer believes that Gill is good as a hire on his team... and as of now, a day before the season starts, there is nothing to say that he is incorrect... Just give him a chance to be proven wrong and stop making a mountain out of a minor signing with little downside with so much other things yet to be tested. And I go on record as saying that I cannot GM better than Homer or any other NHL GM; there I've said it. LOL

Last edited by Sawdalite: 10-01-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:26 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

On the bright side, Homer cant now give up just a draft pick for an overrated player anymore if laughton is kept up. We are at 50 contracts! WOOT!

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
On the bright side, Homer cant now give up just a draft pick for an overrated player anymore if laughton is kept up. We are at 50 contracts! WOOT!
I think its 49.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:49 PM
flyershockey

This has got to be the biggest overreaction thread in the history of this board. Anyone who isn't totally apathetic to this signing is taking the Flyers way too serious.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:50 PM
flyersfan28

no place for gagne but for gill yes why?

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote