HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big slump for Carey Price???

Old
11-26-2006, 08:29 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
He's 19 years old is what's wrong with him.
Exactly, holy **** people as they use to say, take a chill pill.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 11:24 AM
JFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
p.s.: our stock is high in the "most important position" department (goalies). Huet, Aebischer, Danis, Halak, Price...
Unfortunately, goalies have no trade value in the market... You can get Nabokov for a bag of pucks, you can get Aebisher for a 9th pick, you can get Luongo for a bum, you can get Raycroft for nothing, Gigučre, Denis, Roloson, and so on...

The fact is: you don't draft a goalie with a top-5 pick where there are plenty available. Bad move.

I'm happy they don't manage my portfolio.

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Unfortunately, goalies have no trade value in the market... You can get Nabokov for a bag of pucks, you can get Aebisher for a 9th pick, you can get Luongo for a bum, you can get Raycroft for nothing, Gigučre, Denis, Roloson, and so on...

The fact is: you don't draft a goalie with a top-5 pick where there are plenty available. Bad move.

I'm happy they don't manage my portfolio.
What are you talking about? Nabokov can be had for a good player, Aebischer can be had for a 2nd round pick, Toronto had to give Rask for Raycroft, Cloutier cost 2 second round pick to LA, Luongo cost Bertuzzi, Auld and Allen to the Canucks, and I could go on and on and on...Check the facts before posting...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 11:38 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
What are you talking about? Nabokov can be had for a good player, Aebischer can be had for a 2nd round pick, Toronto had to give Rask for Raycroft, Cloutier cost 2 second round pick to LA, Luongo cost Bertuzzi, Auld and Allen to the Canucks, and I could go on and on and on...Check the facts before posting...
The value of a goaltender is decreasing beacause there's too much quality goalies. Almost every team has a good goalie, and some have two! Look at Buffalo. They were trying to move Biron but they couldn't have a deal. Why? The GM is asking too much when there's other goaltenders who are a bit cheaper to have.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

I'd rather the Sens had Price, personally. But I also agree that Gainey and co are not stupid, and by stating my personal perspective I don't mean to imply that I put any faith in it. I see what I see, but hopefully I see all the wrong things! (And fwiw, despite what we always hear about his great mental prowess, one of the things I get from watching him is that he actually seems to lose focus at times and it always strikes me as that plus the inconsistency issues would seem to fly in the face of this reputation he has for being so mentally strong.)

Anyway, again that comes back to the whole point of Whitesnake's thread... to get more actual game observation stories about Price, and here I am contributing once again to the same ol' same ol' premature draft hindsighting. Sorry!
I think the "mentally strong" aspect of his game comes from the fact that, most of the time, he gives a badly managed team a chance to win every night. He's no model for stoicism perhaps but he's not Ron Hextall either. He's just a kid with talent.

Like you, I've seen him play a few times - this year included. He's a good goalie in Junior, no question. Whether he can be an elite goalie in the NHL remains to be seen. He certainly has all the attributes. Put him on a team with a better defense and this conversation would likely be about his technical shortcomings, not whether he was a bad pick. This is not hype, just a statement of fact.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 12:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I hate to see this place if Price doesn't make Team Canada's roster next month. If he is slumping (I haven't seen him play this year yet) it's a bad time to do so since the wjc camp is only a couple weeks away and there is going to be tough competition from the sounds of it. From what I heard from people that were at the summer camp, Price came out of the summer camp as the frontrunner, but he'll still need a good camp in december. Would be great to see another Habs goalie on the wjc team for Canada. (Theo, Garon, Michaud as backup)

I don't pay much attention to his stats this year. After the playoffs I wonder if they will bring him over to Hamilton to give him the chance to see what the AHL is like. Next year we will start to see what he can do when he turns pro, from there we'll see what happens.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek_freak View Post
The value of a goaltender is decreasing beacause there's too much quality goalies. Almost every team has a good goalie, and some have two! Look at Buffalo. They were trying to move Biron but they couldn't have a deal. Why? The GM is asking too much when there's other goaltenders who are a bit cheaper to have.
Yeah, I can agree with that, but the other poster were not right by saying that Nabokov can be had for a bag of puck...

Anyways, the good goaltender do have a high value...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I hate to see this place if Price doesn't make Team Canada's roster next month. If he is slumping (I haven't seen him play this year yet) it's a bad time to do so since the wjc camp is only a couple weeks away and there is going to be tough competition from the sounds of it. From what I heard from people that were at the summer camp, Price came out of the summer camp as the frontrunner, but he'll still need a good camp in december. Would be great to see another Habs goalie on the wjc team for Canada. (Theo, Garon, Michaud as backup)

I don't pay much attention to his stats this year. After the playoffs I wonder if they will bring him over to Hamilton to give him the chance to see what the AHL is like. Next year we will start to see what he can do when he turns pro, from there we'll see what happens.
From what I've seen, his rebound control has improved and he defies the shooter a lot more. He does seem less poised this year however. I wonder if playing behind a poor defense and being left to his own devices a lot of the time is starting to get to him. It will be interesting to see how he does at Team Canada's camp...

As I've mentioned elsewhere, he has nothing more to learn in Junior besides gaining playing experience, imo. The sooner he comes under Melanson's tutelage, the better.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 05:03 PM
canadian_man_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Good call !

in Price case, the franchise tag has been put on him since the day he's been drafted.

Hey, isn't that what the hypers did to Theodore. LOL

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 07:07 PM
LeMAD

We might get a first pick for Aebisher at the deadline, but Roloson had a better reputation than him. Or we may get a useless 2nd liner ŕ la Samsonov. But I doubt it, since the team buying a goalie wants to win now. So it will be a draft pick.

Doing something like Aebisher + Rivet/Ryder/something + 2nd rounder won't get a lot more. A team who wants a goalie at the deadline only wants a goalie.

We won't get anything for Aebisher before the deadline. And the market seems in favor of the buyers this year so maybe we can't compare with last year.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 09:15 PM
JFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Aebischer and _____(maybe forward?) will get a lot (IMO).
Biron, Nabokov, Giguere are available and better than Aebisher. Nobody will overpaid for Aebby, sorry.

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 09:26 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Biron, Nabokov, Giguere are available and better than Aebisher. Nobody will overpaid for Aebby, sorry.
Since when is Giguere available? He is the number one in Anaheim and is holding on to that position. As for Abby, who knows what will happen in time. Unlike the past salary has a lot to do with it and he is the least paid of the better goalies that might be available.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote