HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gerber's Next Start? (merged)

Old
11-17-2006, 02:19 AM
SPARTAKUS*

vCash: 500
I agree with the two last poster. Just like a big familly sometimes we are not happy with one of the member but no matter what we stick together thru thick n thin. We will need both of our goalkeeper to be at the top of their game for us to make the playoffs. Let's GO SENS. Let's keep the faith.

SPARTAKUS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:42 PM
BBB

Isn't Emery the same goalie that noone had confidence in last Spring which caused us to loose to Buf?

Last year he set 2 NHL records ( most wins at the sart of career and most wins in a month I think), yet there was no confidence in him?

This year, he plays 6 games, goes 4-2 and we need him to restore the teams confidence?

Is something wrong here?

BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:07 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
Isn't Emery the same goalie that noone had confidence in last Spring which caused us to loose to Buf?

Last year he set 2 NHL records ( most wins at the sart of career and most wins in a month I think), yet there was no confidence in him?

This year, he plays 6 games, goes 4-2 and we need him to restore the teams confidence?

Is something wrong here?
He botched Game 1 in the ECSF, thus the team&fans lost confidence in him.

SoulPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:17 PM
senility

Quote:

Is something wrong here?

Not as I see it. He is projected to be a top notch NHL goaltender. He has dominated in junior and in the AHL and he presently leads the league in save percentage (0.938) and is second to Hasek in goals against average (1.42), even though I realize he has only played six games. It's all the more impressive that two of those six games were losses, because they were low scoring games in which he gave his team a chance to win. Better yet, he's only 24. Sure we were all nervous about him last year after Hasek went down, but that playoff experience will only help him in the future. As far as I'm concerned, there is every reason to think Emery will emerge over the next couple of years as a bonified top 10 NHL goalie. He still has plenty of weaknesses, most notably rebound control, but that is coachable and I think it will improve. What I love about him is that he's as steady between the ears as any goalie we've had in a long time and maybe ever. He is a fierce competitor but he always seems relaxed and happy and I think he is a calming influence on a team where the leaders (Aflie, Redden, etc.) are often guilty of taking themselves a little too seriously. I just hope Muckler is not stupid enough to trade him just because he overcommitted to Gerber. I'm not saying Emery is great yet, but I think the team does have more confidence with him in nets right now and I think it is justified. I think we'll have a good run in the next couple of weeks, despite our tough schedule, and I think he's a big part of the reason why.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:20 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Looks like Bob Mckenzie was right that within a month we would be thinking of Emery as our #1. I should know better than to ever disagree with the grand pubah. But i still find it hard to believe that Emery will get more games than Gerber. And not because of salary. But if Emery is the better goalie, Im sure Murray will play him just like he chose vermette over Kaigs

Quote:
He is projected to be a top notch NHL goaltender.
Link?

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 03:25 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:

Is something wrong here?
I think the players lost confidence in his ability to play consistently, mostly due to minor injuries and overwork. That is subtly different than saying they lost confidence in him.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:02 PM
SensRbest

Which goaltender

With Emery winning games for the Sens, I wonder if Murray will stay with Emery, although if he needs a rest, maybe Gerber should play against the Flyers, as long as the Sens score plenty of goals so that Gerber doesn't let in weak goals in the third.

Or is playing Emery for a while tire him down

What do you think.

SensRbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:59 PM
senility

There's already a thread on this topic http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=312131

For what it's worth, I think the fatigue issue is a bit overdone. Ray is young and in great shape and he didn't play for a long stretch there. Unless he reinjured his wrist, I don't think we need to take him out yet. I think the bigger issue is getting Gerber back in there so he can get his confidence back. As I said in the previous thread, I would wait for the Carolina game. He knows the team and the arena like the back of his hand and he really should have won the last one against them. Besides, if Ray can keep on rolling and win three more, we'll be above .500, and we can better afford to lose one. The next three games are very winable, and I don't want shotty goaltending to cost us any points. I guess the downside of playing Gerber in Carolina is that, if he does struggle, he'll really hear it from the fans, but I think it's worth the risk. If he can beat them, it should give him a real emotional lift.

Old
11-21-2006, 01:16 PM
CorrosiveRabbit

Gerber In Philly

I'd say start Gerber against Florida, but have Emery ready to come in if Gerber doesn't start strong. I agree with the posters who say Gerber needs a chance to regain his confidence (hence the Florida start), but at the same time, I think there's the overall team confidence that's still not entirely rejuvenated. That's why I wouldn't start Gerber in Philly, as I'd like to see the Sens play well and get a good solid win to solidify some of the confidence that's been built over the last four games.

(I'm counting the Jersey game, even though the Sens lost, as it was a close game against an elite goalie).

Just my $0.02

Corrosive Rabbit

CorrosiveRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 03:21 PM
arbo

So, Emery gets the start in Tampa... no signs of Gerber coming back any time soon. I thought they'd give Emery a night off after taking all the bumps in Florida and the 40+ save performance in Minnesota.

The message is pretty clear that Emery's considered our #1, and deservingly so, but as has been mentioned before, which game will Gerber finally get his chance to shine?

I'd say Carolina should be his stage. Don't really have any reason other than it'd be his old team, and our offense has come back to form lately, and I think a win in Carolina would be huge help in forgetting about the terrible start.

arbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 04:18 PM
senility

I'd bet he does get the Carolina game, as predicted two weeks ago, unless they've decided to ride Emery until he loses.

Old
11-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Glass jar

I personally think they should ride Emery until he loses.
The more wins the sens have, the less pressure will be on Gerber.

Everything is good when you're winning, then you can allow yourself to experiment and take risks. You can't afford to when you're under .500 or hovering near that mark.

I'd go with my hot hand if I was Ottawa's coach as well, and ride it out until it fizzles(When Emery starts letting in garbage goals, you'll know it'll be Gerber's turn).
If Murray is smart, he'll start Gerber on the road against a struggling team.

Glass jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed Kourse View Post
I personally think they should ride Emery until he loses.
The more wins the sens have, the less pressure will be on Gerber.

Everything is good when you're winning, then you can allow yourself to experiment and take risks. You can't afford to when you're under .500 or hovering near that mark.

I'd go with my hot hand if I was Ottawa's coach as well, and ride it out until it fizzles(When Emery starts letting in garbage goals, you'll know it'll be Gerber's turn).
If Murray is smart, he'll start Gerber on the road against a struggling team.
I dont' like that idea becuase you don't want to Emery worn out, or even getting too tired to the point were he can injure himself do to lack of focus or concentration during a game.

If Emery gets hurt, and i hope he doesn't, Gerber is our starter... So we need to ensure he gets a chance in nets sooner than later. And hopefully he can rebond from his bad losing streak.

I do like the idea of starting him against a struggling team.

But let me say this, if the Sens go out there and start playing like crap because Gerber is in nets, I will be ticked... So ticked. What a ***** way of going out if you ask me. They better play strong in front of Gerber

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 06:48 PM
ISensFanI

Play Emery till he loses, then play Gerber till he loses and do that over and over, but if one keeps losing like gerber did, then just ride the one who wins even if he lost the last game. Might make then play better if they know they win theyll get the next game. Then when the playoffs roll around put the better guy in the net. (Emery)

ISensFanI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Link?
You want a link to show Emery is projected to be a top notch NHL goaltender? How about "Career potential: No. 1 goalie", will that do?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...e=nhl-senators

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 10:48 PM
senility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
You want a link to show Emery is projected to be a top notch NHL goaltender? How about "Career potential: No. 1 goalie", will that do?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...e=nhl-senators

Sean Keogh at HF speaks highly about him too.

"He is a big goalie who uses his size to his advantage. Emery is still very much on track to being the Senators No. 1 goaltender for years to come. It's only a matter of time for Emery as he keeps doing everything right and forcing the front office to take notice..."

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/ray_emery

Old
11-26-2006, 06:27 PM
senility

Hard to believe they won't go back to Gerber now, even though it's hard to pin this loss on Emery. If he turns in another stinker, however, he might as well make himself comfortable on that bench, because he'll probably be there for a while.

Old
11-27-2006, 06:52 AM
Savannah Skunk

I bet Gerber will play in Carolina and play well. He can't be enjoying sitting shotgun to Emery when he is supposed to be the number 1 goaltender, nor do i think he is particularly happy with the very vocal fan base calling for his head or trade. I get this funny feeling that Gerber will win the hearts of the Senator fans in the coming weeks. If the Sens lose in Carolina, i doubt it will be because of Gerber (if he plays)...

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 08:55 AM
AlanHaworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick G View Post
Trade Gerber
It solves the problem if playing him.
Right, and how are you gonna trade him, when he isn't playing and his trade value is less than a BigMac?

AlanHaworth is offline   Reply With Quote