HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Troy Murray

Old
11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Troy Murray

We were discussing former Sens players in the Sens forum, and Troy Murray's name came up. As someone who only really started following hockey around 1990 or so, when Troy Murray arrived in Ottawa, I hadn't heard much about him. He was brought in to play on Yashin's line, but, like the rotating cast of characters who also did so, he didn't impress much of all.

At that point, Ottawa was home to countless journeyman, that, I assumed Troy Murray was the same. Only in a recent discussion, did I realize what he had accomplished.

My question to the board here, who have better memories of the game than I, what happened to this guy. He was a former Selke winner, and had a 99 point season, all by the age of 24. He had 19 points in 15 playoff games one year. Obviously, playing with the likes of Denis Savard has it's advanatages, but, by the age of 31, he was a guy that wasn't capable of contributing anything to the worst team in the league.

If he was a guy that just had a big point season, I'd understand, but, he had a Selke trophy. That should make him a useful player, even when the points don't come in such great abundance.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 10:36 AM
saskganesh

I remember he had one decent season with the Jets, then he was traded back to the Hawks. Then after Ottawa (where he was break even plus/minus IIRC) he was with the AVs and was part of their first cup with limited icetime.

You're right, he sure did fade. He had a succession of injuries in the 90's which probably took a culmulative toll.

saskganesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 10:47 AM
hockeyprincess

is he at all related to the former Sudbury Wolf and current Toronto St. Michael's Major of the same name?

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote