HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

All Prospect Talk Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
hawksfan50

vCash: 500
Just a reminder retroview: At their 2010 draft when the Blackhawks surprised and took KEVIN HAYES at #24 (I and many of the ranking orgs had him only about 35-39 range) THEN traded the #30 down witrh NYI (who took C/W BROCK NELSON at #30 --the exact player I wanted for us at #24) --then got the #35 (Ludvig Rensfeldt --who the Hawks never signed and let go as a free agent,but who I wanted at #30 and still feel they gave up on way too early) and Kent Simpson (G) at #58 with the other pick NYI gave us BUT who never will play net for us given our signing of Raanta who will be CC's back up in 2014/15....well I said then in 2010 it was a mistake for Stan to do that ..and so far I think the entire exercise of that deal with NYI looks like one big fizzle ...you see, BROCK NELSON has just made the NYI final 23 man roster..and he has had a terrific camp and pre-season earning that spot ---I saw him score a very nice shot goal against Craig Anderson yesterday as an Isles split squad beat an Ottawa split squad (they beat Ottawa also in a second split squad game yesterday) and I believe Nelson scored a goal in their 6-4 win over the Preds in the previous pre-season game...anyway I said then Stan goofed and I still think so because Kevin Hayes has underwhelmed at BC in his career their so far and I doubt he will impact at the NHL level but NELSON already now looks like he willbe a big contributor to that vastly deepened and rising NYI team that will soon be counted as one of the contenders from the East..

We tend to forgive Stan because of the 2 cups in 4 years but still you just cannot waste drafting opportunities like 2010 and turn them into fiascoes ...

Old
09-30-2013, 04:51 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Just a reminder retroview: At their 2010 draft when the Blackhawks surprised and took KEVIN HAYES at #24 (I and many of the ranking orgs had him only about 35-39 range) THEN traded the #30 down witrh NYI (who took C/W BROCK NELSON at #30 --the exact player I wanted for us at #24) --then got the #35 (Ludvig Rensfeldt --who the Hawks never signed and let go as a free agent,but who I wanted at #30 and still feel they gave up on way too early) and Kent Simpson (G) at #58 with the other pick NYI gave us BUT who never will play net for us given our signing of Raanta who will be CC's back up in 2014/15....well I said then in 2010 it was a mistake for Stan to do that ..and so far I think the entire exercise of that deal with NYI looks like one big fizzle ...you see, BROCK NELSON has just made the NYI final 23 man roster..and he has had a terrific camp and pre-season earning that spot ---I saw him score a very nice shot goal against Craig Anderson yesterday as an Isles split squad beat an Ottawa split squad (they beat Ottawa also in a second split squad game yesterday) and I believe Nelson scored a goal in their 6-4 win over the Preds in the previous pre-season game...anyway I said then Stan goofed and I still think so because Kevin Hayes has underwhelmed at BC in his career their so far and I doubt he will impact at the NHL level but NELSON already now looks like he willbe a big contributor to that vastly deepened and rising NYI team that will soon be counted as one of the contenders from the East..

We tend to forgive Stan because of the 2 cups in 4 years but still you just cannot waste drafting opportunities like 2010 and turn them into fiascoes ...
You know that hindsight works both ways, don't you?

Kyle Turris: 234 games played, 43 goals, 61 assists, 104 points. (0.44 ppg)

Patric Kane: 446 games played, 149 goals, 275 assists, 424 points. (0.95 ppg)

Old
09-30-2013, 05:26 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
You know that hindsight works both ways, don't you?

Kyle Turris: 234 games played, 43 goals, 61 assists, 104 points. (0.44 ppg)

Patric Kane: 446 games played, 149 goals, 275 assists, 424 points. (0.95 ppg)

Old
09-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

Kent Simpson is only 21 yrs old and starting his 2nd season of professional hockey ,, A bit early to write him off

Old
09-30-2013, 06:12 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:

Drafting is not an exact science. It's easy to go back and say shoulda done this. If you called Nelson back in 2010 good for you. Looks like an awesome prospect.

How about grabbing Saad in the second round the very next year and then following that up with Shaw in the fifth? I would say that makes up for some bad picks in 2010. You can't literally expect the organization to never make a bad pick, especially when dealing with the end of the first round. A "fiasco" as you call it would be squandering a top 5 pick into nothing. The 24th and 30th (and the spots they subsequently moved down to) are pretty much crap shoots anyways.

Old
09-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Hawkaholic

Kevin Hayes is going to be better than his brother, who just made the best team in the league as our 3rd line RW.

Simpson will be a back-up at worst, and Q was impressed with his play in camp this year.

Old
09-30-2013, 07:40 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Can't really say any goaltender will be, "at worst", anything in the NHL. There's potential in Simpson, and that's all you can really say about any goaltending prospects.. even the most highly touted ones; Gibson, Lehner, Vasilevski, etc. aren't locks to be anything in the NHL. Lack of spots, ups-and-downs in confidence, the structure of a team.. lots of things go into what most would deem a good or elite goaltender.

Crawford was considered by many at this time last year, as a borderline NHL starter, and probably a back-up, "at best". Now, he's talked about in the top-15 of goaltenders in the NHL and could be on the Canadian Olympic team.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Simpson gets underrated since we drafted him and kind of overseen on the landscape... he has talent and good positioning already. He played on a bad WHL team just to go to no PO Hogs and ECHL.

His save% was always fine compared to the team infront of him and his GAA came down when the team infront of him was good enough to make the POs with him.

Old
10-01-2013, 08:27 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Simpsons regular season stats are decent. Post season and international series stats takes a significant nose dive. Big series choker or just playing on bad teams.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:24 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Simpson's international resume is incredibly small. Most of his games are at the U17s.. hardly a precursor for NHL success.

Old
10-01-2013, 10:19 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
Simpson's international resume is incredibly small. Most of his games are at the U17s.. hardly a precursor for NHL success.
Except he sucked in the U18 and lost the the US. Canada supposedly being able to field their 3rd string team and still win.

Old
10-01-2013, 10:25 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

He played 2 games, as the back-up, at the U18s. He probably didn't even play 4 periods total in that tournament..

Old
10-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Haven't read all 30 pages, but what happened to Antti Raanta? I checked the Rockford site, it states Raanta was called up a couple of days ago, then I checked ESPN.com Blackhawks roster and he's not there. Where is he?

edit. Not here either: http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/roste...cation=/roster

edit2. Here's the recalled story, from 28th: http://www.icehogs.com/news/icehogs/?article_id=3900

Last edited by Jaymond Flurrie: 10-01-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old
10-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

He's back with the Hogs and will get the most starts there to get used to the smaller rink.

Old
10-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
He's back with the Hogs and will get the most starts there to get used to the smaller rink.
First of all: I believe you.

Anyway, so he was reassigned on Sept 24th, called up on Sept 28th and reassigned now on... Oct 1st? Could somebody open the logic of that to me a bit?

Old
10-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
First of all: I believe you.

Anyway, so he was reassigned on Sept 24th, called up on Sept 28th and reassigned now on... Oct 1st? Could somebody open the logic of that to me a bit?

Crawford was dinged for the last pre season game so they called him up to be a back up.

Old
10-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkscap View Post
Crawford was dinged for the last pre season game so they called him up to be a back up.
Ok, thanks!

Old
10-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Teemu

Simpson makes the Hogs over Carruth. Also confirmation that Shalunov did sign an AHL deal.

Old
10-03-2013, 03:46 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Simpson makes the Hogs over Carruth. Also confirmation that Shalunov did sign an AHL deal.
Good to hear Shalunov is sticking around to give it a go in N.A. Kid has some skill and decent size.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
no wonder there - for both

Old
10-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Jokerit lost 3-2 after SO, Teräväinen scored the tying goals at 59:59 with the goalie pulled. Missed his attempt in the SO though.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Kentti

Highlights from today's TT's game. As stated above, TT scored the tying goal one second before the end of the regulation.

http://www.nelonenpro.fi/videot/media/585196

Last edited by Kentti: 10-04-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old
10-04-2013, 08:32 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Simpson was very good in the ECHL and has been good in his few AHL starts. It's not surprising that he'd make the team over Carruth. He was also the most impressive of all Chicago's goaltending prospects in training camp, including Raanta.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Kentti

TT played today, his team Jokerit won Ässät 5 - 3. TT had one assist to Jokerit's first PP goal. Highlights later on.

Old
10-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Kentti

And here's the highlight reel of today's TT-game: http://www.nelonenpro.fi/videot/media/585345

Closed Thread