HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Vladislav Tretiak comeback? (1990)

Old
09-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Sanf

vCash: 500
Vladislav Tretiak comeback? (1990)

Not that long ago I found small article about Detroit Red Wings wanted to sign Tretiak in 89-90 season. According to the article he was intrested in comeback.

(Tretiaks age is wrong he was 37)
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6965,328076&dq

Does anyone remember/know anything about it? Was Red Wings actually seariously considering Tretiak as answer to their goalie problem or was they trying to get "mentor" to their possible Russian players (already drafted Fedorov and Konstantinov)?

Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:32 AM
BrimStone64

Didn't Montreal own his rights?

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Sanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Didn't Montreal own his rights?
Some old newspaper articles claims that he was on Red Wings negotiation list in 70īs (74-?) so then I guess Red Wings owned his rights. Montreal drafted him in 83 so after that his rights was owned by Canadiens. Iīm not that familiar with the rules so I donīt how long they had claim on him.

There was talk about that Tretiak signing in many newspapers but all the others are payperview. There seem to be many Red Wings fans in History board so I was hoping someone in here knew something about it.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Thesensation19*

Really a shame he never played in the NHL. I mean, I am not one of those guys who believes the NHL is the only elite level of play there was/is but the NHL is the most competitive. He wanted to come over and because of politics he could not.

Simply because of his conditioning, even at his age, he would have been one of the best goalies in the league especially under Montreal roster.

I would not doubt they win at least 1 Cup under him and he wins at least 1 Vezina.

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:34 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Really a shame he never played in the NHL. I mean, I am not one of those guys who believes the NHL is the only elite level of play there was/is but the NHL is the most competitive. He wanted to come over and because of politics he could not.

Simply because of his conditioning, even at his age, he would have been one of the best goalies in the league especially under Montreal roster.

I would not doubt they win at least 1 Cup under him and he wins at least 1 Vezina.
They had Roy...doubt Tretiak would have been an improvement on him.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanf View Post
Not that long ago I found small article about Detroit Red Wings wanted to sign Tretiak in 89-90 season.
First Ive heard about it. He was hired at 38yrs of age in 1990 by Keenan then with Chicago to work with Belfour, Hasek & Thibault and so impressed was he with his conditioning & play in practices that he tried talking him into ending his retirement & playing for the Black Hawks, but Ive never heard this bit about Detroit. Entirely possible. Wall came down....He ran Goalie Camps in Montreal in the 90's & worked with Jose' Theodore & Martin Brodeur amongst others and in Toronto I think he may still be running the Tretiak Goalie School summers at Canlan Sports Center. Apparently the most physically demanding & taxing school of its kind on the planet. Doesnt matter that Dad mightve paid $1000's to get little Johnny in there, kids not in shape gets the boot.

... so I dont know about this "comeback" stuff. After retiring in 1984 and asked why, Tretiak answered "I left because I was very tired" and I guess so. He'd started practically every game since about 71'ish, played a lot of hockey. Goaltendings 95% mental & though physically perhaps still capable enough you know when its time to fade to black. Also said "For me, it was all, and all of it is with me forever". Perhaps winsomely he "wished he'd had the opportunity" to play in the NHL but in the past tense. Not at 37 or 38, past his best due date, that candle extinguished. Highly decorated in the old Soviet Union, National Hero, no need to prove anything to anyone. Busy getting on with his life, commercial interests etc (was spokesperson for Lada Motors in the early-mid-80's & so on) including founding an organization called the Friends of Canada to wit he received a Canadian Governor Generals Award.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
tony d
Kyle Turris

Tretiak would have been great in the NHL. This is the first though I've heard of a team wanting to bring him over besides Montreal who drafted him.

09-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Thesensation19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
They had Roy...doubt Tretiak would have been an improvement on him.
I believe they did not have Roy at the time they drafted him. Had he come over and played, the Canadiens would have probably never drafted Roy.

As far as an improvement goes... Tretiak can definately be in the discussion of greatest of all time. Its sad so many people dont know who he is, and even more sad how little people think of him simply cuz he never played in the NHL.

NHL scouts, coaches and even its players were all high on his value as a goalie. He reigned the supreme goaltender for the Soviet Union for two decades and would have been longer if he had not retired quite early for a goalie... heck, he should have just come over to the NHL. Stupid politics.

He played against NHL clubs, players and all star teams. Hes played against the worlds best teams. He was always an elite goalie.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Thesensation19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
First Ive heard about it. He was hired at 38yrs of age in 1990 by Keenan then with Chicago to work with Belfour, Hasek & Thibault and so impressed was he with his conditioning & play in practices that he tried talking him into ending his retirement & playing for the Black Hawks, but Ive never heard this bit about Detroit. Entirely possible. Wall came down....He ran Goalie Camps in Montreal in the 90's & worked with Jose' Theodore & Martin Brodeur amongst others and in Toronto I think he may still be running the Tretiak Goalie School summers at Canlan Sports Center. Apparently the most physically demanding & taxing school of its kind on the planet. Doesnt matter that Dad mightve paid $1000's to get little Johnny in there, kids not in shape gets the boot.

... so I dont know about this "comeback" stuff. After retiring in 1984 and asked why, Tretiak answered "I left because I was very tired" and I guess so. He'd started practically every game since about 71'ish, played a lot of hockey. Goaltendings 95% mental & though physically perhaps still capable enough you know when its time to fade to black. Also said "For me, it was all, and all of it is with me forever". Perhaps winsomely he "wished he'd had the opportunity" to play in the NHL but in the past tense. Not at 37 or 38, past his best due date, that candle extinguished. Highly decorated in the old Soviet Union, National Hero, no need to prove anything to anyone. Busy getting on with his life, commercial interests etc (was spokesperson for Lada Motors in the early-mid-80's & so on) including founding an organization called the Friends of Canada to wit he received a Canadian Governor Generals Award.
Interesting bit on Chicago. By that time it was too late though but I bet he would have been at least an average goalie... maybe im underrating it if the Blackhawks wanted him to end his retirement lol.

But the whole "im tired" thing I think is BS.
He clearly expressed passion to join the NHL. He was tired, tired of playing on the same team, same schedule, same league every year for two decades lol.

If SU let him go, he would have played until 1990 I believe. Or close to it.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Possibly even longer. Johnny Bower didnt retire until the age of 46 or 47 in 1970, albeit his last few seasons werent exactly stellar but still... in fact after retiring & being brought back as a Goalie Coach and in practices donning full gear, came within a whisker of having to dress as a backup during a game in 1979/80 at 56 years of age when the Leafs goaltending depth was decimated by injury. Wouldnt that have been something to have seen huh? Carl Brewer had returned during that season as well. Talk about your Flashbacks.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Sanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I knew he was goalie coach in Chicago, but didnīt know that Keenan wanted Tretiak back in the game. So I guess its possible that Detroit was also genuinely intrested and Tretiak was still in fit to play.

I know that sometimes when NHL teams acquired young european player they brought veteran european player with him to kind of help him to adjust. I was thinking that signing Tretiak was similar. To get their draft picks (Fedorov and Konstantinov) to jump and adjust easier to NA. But then again Iīm actually not sure what was Tretiaks opinion about defecting at the time.

Old
09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Thesensation19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanf View Post
I knew he was goalie coach in Chicago, but didnīt know that Keenan wanted Tretiak back in the game. So I guess its possible that Detroit was also genuinely intrested and Tretiak was still in fit to play.

I know that sometimes when NHL teams acquired young european player they brought veteran european player with him to kind of help him to adjust. I was thinking that signing Tretiak was similar. To get their draft picks (Fedorov and Konstantinov) to jump and adjust easier to NA. But then again Iīm actually not sure what was Tretiaks opinion about defecting at the time.
Ive read a lot into his life over the years.

Tretiak was drafted in 83. At first, the Soviet Union said yes to the move if he continues his duty for the country. Months later they turned on their word and the moved never happened.

Tretiak played one more season.

He was willing to play more and asked Thokinov if he could spend time with his family during training camp. He just wanted to travel back and forth. And he even suggested getting a training routine designed for him so he would not miss a step. It was rejected. No other player received this so this negotiation was rejected as well...

Tretiak retired. Stating that he wanted to be with family and he was tired.

Tretiak would have loved to play in the NHL. I remember reading about his desire to play in the best league in the world. Especially because it was a NEW and different challenge. With that enthusiasm I believed he would have played at least until 1990. I say this because in 1990 he rejected a comeback with Chicago.

Old
09-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Thesensation19*

Lets say he plays 84-85 to 88-89. 4 seasons.

I wouldnt be shocked the guy is nominated for Vezina 2x in those years, and makes playoffs 3/4 years.

I would also believe he would win at least 1 Vezina and make it to the Stanley Cup. Wouldnt be shocked if he wont it too

Old
09-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Big Phil

Didn't know a thing about Detroit in 1990.

Had he gone to Montreal in 1983, this would have been perfect medicine for Montreal. Tretiak very arguably was still the best goalie in the world at this time (Billy Smith perhaps his best peer). The Habs had lost Dryden a few years earlier and didn't have that mystique in net anymore. This was the Steve Penney era in Montreal and goaltending was their biggest weakness during this era.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:36 AM
obskyr

Quote:
But the whole "im tired" thing I think is BS.
He clearly expressed passion to join the NHL. He was tired, tired of playing on the same team, same schedule, same league every year for two decades lol.

According to Tretiak himself he was afraid to endanger his reputation as a goalie after such a long break. He didn't consider a comeback before Keenan's proposal, but still thought that if he didn't quit the game he could continue his career up until 40. He just had no motivation left by 1984, the dream of playing for the Canadiens and winning the Stanley Cup seemed to be too unreal back then.

obskyr is offline   Reply With Quote