HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Raphael Diaz

Old
10-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Stripper

vCash: 500
Trade him.

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 09:31 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
No but seriously, if he is not injured, Diaz could easily get 40-45 points this season (last year 0,6 point/game). What type of contract does this type of 27-28 old defenseman get as a free agent? I think people don't realize how valuable this defenseman is.
If he wasn't a defensive liability and put up 40-45 points, he would be worth $2-3 million as he only did it once. He would have to really dominate to get UFA money like Wiz and Streit got.

He isn't a $5m dman on the open market. Not even with a career year imo.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 09:32 PM
hockeyfan2k11

How do people watch him and think he is good and should be with the team long term? Do you enjoy seeing players crash the crease, hacking at Price as Diaz picks his nose? Please toss him.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Most underrated player of this team.

Solid defensively, a force offensively. Sign him long term before it's too late.

But seriously, if he is not injured, Diaz could easily get 40-45 points this season (last year 0,6 point/game). What type of contract does this type of 27-28 old defenseman get as a free agent? I think people don't realize how valuable this defenseman is.
I totally agree, Diaz played a good game just like he started the last season, he was 3rd in points for the defensemans the last season before he get injured, I saw a more confident player on the ice tonight than the last season, probably because he got some more muscles, I'm not saying that he's now a physical defenseman but that 200 pounds surely help him to stay in position on the ice, he was more physical than Markov tonight and by far.

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:39 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Most underrated player of this team.

Solid defensively, a force offensively. Sign him long term before it's too late.

But seriously, if he is not injured, Diaz could easily get 40-45 points this season (last year 0,6 point/game). What type of contract does this type of 27-28 old defenseman get as a free agent? I think people don't realize how valuable this defenseman is.
he isnt built for the playoffs

thats what its all about buddy

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:41 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
How do people watch him and think he is good and should be with the team long term? Do you enjoy seeing players crash the crease, hacking at Price as Diaz picks his nose? Please toss him.
agreed me friend all people look at is stats , who cares our d is terrible and he is part of it

he is a finesse ok player until the playoff starts and he needs tossed like a doll down low

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:48 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

He's absolutely awful when pressured in his own end. I really hope he's relegated to a lesser role + PP or just put on the pressbox once everyone is healthy (which might never happen).

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:33 AM
25get

vCash: 50
I guess I am alone to think he did pretty well.
There was some problems but the total end result was good.

Between Markov and him, Diaz was better in defense.

He was pushed around but he did handle the puck pretty well and was able to do the right play almost every time.

25get is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:41 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Not every player is perfect.

He won't win all the physical battles but he'll make some great plays.
yeah, he's supposed to be a 2nd or 3rd pairing guy and he's doing what he should be doing. if he was perfect, he would have been drafted et cetera...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Not every player is perfect.

He won't win all the physical battles but he'll make some great plays.
I'd rather he won the physical battles.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Domenic

Quote:
Totally agree.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:35 AM
ak90210

I don't see how everyone thinks Diaz is so soft/bad defensively? He's great with his stick and has high hockey iq in all three zones. He doesn't throw hits (it would be stupid for him to go around looking for hits anyways) but doesn't shy away from hits and blocks a lot of shots so I don't get how he's that soft either.

ak90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I am expecting a 4 year extension for Diaz any day now.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak90210 View Post
I don't see how everyone thinks Diaz is so soft/bad defensively? He's great with his stick and has high hockey iq in all three zones. He doesn't throw hits (it would be stupid for him to go around looking for hits anyways) but doesn't shy away from hits and blocks a lot of shots so I don't get how he's that soft either.
I think he's a good offensive dman who is a little weak in his own zone....think Bergeron but better defensively. He is however redundant in this system. Markov is likely to be resigned (like it or lump it, it'll happen), Beaulieu is coming up next year. And NB can do Diaz's role while adding a little more grit...not alot, but more, and a higher end ceiling on potential too. So, why not trade him at the deadline in a package to get something to fill a need elsewhere if we can. If not than see what happens

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
I guess I am alone to think he did pretty well.
There was some problems but the total end result was good.

Between Markov and him, Diaz was better in defense.

He was pushed around but he did handle the puck pretty well and was able to do the right play almost every time.
To me its the pairing of Markov and Diaz that just doesnt make sense. Both are not great defensively, although Diaz may actually be better yes.

I think pairings should be more like this;
Subban - Gorges
Diaz - Tinordi
Markov - Bouillon (replace with Emelin when he returns!)

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:08 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

People think "haters" use the 4th goal as the norm. Still, I've been saying for a while that each time he's about to get pressured, he will get rid of the puck, very often for the worst.

0 puck protection skill, and 0 ability to sustain pressure. Some odd good stick plays here and there, but that just ain't enough in this league if you're not ELITE offensively. Which he's not. His shot is nothing to write home about neither.

I've had a lot of issues with this guy for a while now, and yesterday was no exception. He is responsible for the game winning goal in a loss against a division rival who are going to be our main rival for the last playoffs spot. That's it, that's all. But then, yet again, everybody will be so quick to forget about all of this. Because he has good micro-stats. heh.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Depends on your definition of "good". He's a solid 2nd pairing guy, though him and Markov are not a great mix together, both guys fit better with a big road grader type d-man(Emelin, Komiasrek etc) as a partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
he isnt built for the playoffs

thats what its all about buddy
Neither are Keith, Oduya and Leddy yet they won a cup in Chicago. People on here are so brainwashed that you have to be Zedeno Chara and 6'8" 240lbs and try and cross check everybody to the ice to be an effective d-man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak90210 View Post
It's the HF Boards urban legends. Too many posters can't watch a game objectively and call mistakes where they are so they have to blame everything on size, age or contracts. Diaz is at laest NHL average defensively, sure he won't pu anybody through the boards, but you never see him get beat 1 on 1, he always has good body position and uses his stick well to defend passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I think he's a good offensive dman who is a little weak in his own zone....think Bergeron but better defensively. He is however redundant in this system. Markov is likely to be resigned (like it or lump it, it'll happen), Beaulieu is coming up next year. And NB can do Diaz's role while adding a little more grit...not alot, but more, and a higher end ceiling on potential too. So, why not trade him at the deadline in a package to get something to fill a need elsewhere if we can. If not than see what happens
I don't have a problem trading him at some point this year...but before doing that Markov needs to be extended and Beaulieu(or Nygren) need to show hey can potentially play 18-20 minutes next year. In today's NHL you need 3 regular puck moving d-men to be sucessful.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ak90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I agree that Diaz's future is in doubt for a variety of reasons. He is still a really effective DMan and, frankly, comparing him to Bergeron is way off base. Diaz is fine in his own zone and sees time on the PK (Which would be a disaster for Bergeron).

ak90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
People think "haters" use the 4th goal as the norm. Still, I've been saying for a while that each time he's about to get pressured, he will get rid of the puck, very often for the worst.

0 puck protection skill, and 0 ability to sustain pressure. Some odd good stick plays here and there, but that just ain't enough in this league if you're not ELITE offensively. Which he's not. His shot is nothing to write home about neither.

I've had a lot of issues with this guy for a while now, and yesterday was no exception. He is responsible for the game winning goal in a loss against a division rival who are going to be our main rival for the last playoffs spot. That's it, that's all. But then, yet again, everybody will be so quick to forget about all of this. Because he has good micro-stats. heh.
Definitely sounds like you're one of the "haters".

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Habs

He should be modelling underwear on a runway somewhere. Good lord get him off of the blueline. (No homo)

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:45 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He's nothing but a stop gap. We need an improvement on the blueline in the worst possible way.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He's nothing but a stop gap. We need an improvement on the blueline in the worst possible way.
If you look at the comments that have been spoken here everyone seems to be upset at his style of play. His problem is the team he is on makes him redundant. We have Gorges, Tinordi and Boullion as our "shut down" D. The bottom line is we need more balance, that either comes at the expense of someone that is expendable (Boullion) or someone with Puck moving, offensive abilities (Diaz). I think he should be put in a position to succeed and drum up value so we can maximize assets at the deadline. He will be taken over by Nygren and/or Beaulieu. At this point it's a given if we keep Markov that we won't need Diaz with the talent we have coming unless we want to stifle them. I agree that he is a stopgap but I don't agree that he is worthless and the team will be better off without him.

Let's get his value high then help fill other needs when the organization feels Nygren/Beaulieu is ready to take over. Ideally that would be deadline day this season.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
If you look at the comments that have been spoken here everyone seems to be upset at his style of play. His problem is the team he is on makes him redundant. We have Gorges, Tinordi and Boullion as our "shut down" D. The bottom line is we need more balance, that either comes at the expense of someone that is expendable (Boullion) or someone with Puck moving, offensive abilities (Diaz). I think he should be put in a position to succeed and drum up value so we can maximize assets at the deadline. He will be taken over by Nygren and/or Beaulieu. At this point it's a given if we keep Markov that we won't need Diaz with the talent we have coming unless we want to stifle them. I agree that he is a stopgap but I don't agree that he is worthless and the team will be better off without him.

Let's get his value high then help fill other needs when the organization feels Nygren/Beaulieu is ready to take over. Ideally that would be deadline day this season.

A team like Colorado would be really happy to have a player like Diaz... I agree we need to maximize assets.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think he's even necessarily redundant on this team. I would say his even strength and 2nd unit PP time was all about where it should be for him. I'd prefer to see him paired with a bigger, reliable stay-at-home type whilst accumulating his ES time. But the main issue I have is that there's just no business having him log 6:20 on the PK. That's on coaching, not on him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:23 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

Neither are Keith, Oduya and Leddy yet they won a cup in Chicago. People on here are so brainwashed that you have to be Zedeno Chara and 6'8" 240lbs and try and cross check everybody to the ice to be an effective d-man.

It has nothing to do with size. He's just soft and small. He can't clear the crease, he's not confident in his own end with the puck. Maybe he will get better with time, but it baffles me how Therien would put him on the PK more than Subban. It makes NO sense.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote