HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Official Ron Hextall as Flyers GM endorsement Thread

Old
10-01-2013, 10:15 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
The thing that delights/scares me about hextall is i think he has patience. Building through the draft isnt beyond him and i could totally see him allowing the team to suck/develop over several years. Does he have enough credibility to rebuild the franchise into his team is a tough question. i think so but it doesnt make it easy.
why is it that paul holmgren can't/wont build through the draft?

he thought we were close in 09 and swang for the fences in 10,11. since then, he hasnt made any real organizational depth poor choices.

this guy isnt milbury....

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:56 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I am not sure what Hextall has done to warrant such admiration as an assistant GM. LA was terrible for a long time, which is not something he cant do in Philly, and acquired a ton of draft choices. There was a lot of misses in those choices: Thomas Hickey, Colton Teubert, and Derek Forbort from the 1st round. He got there in June of 2006 so I am not sure if Bernier and Lewis is on him but it is not an impressive record for 1st round drafting especially compared to Holmgren.

LA was terrible for a long time, sold off their team multiple times at the deadline, and acquired a lot of picks and thus assets that they traded to get over the top. That strategy, though successful, does not work with the Flyers ownership and 18,000 season ticket holders. He will be under a totally different set of circumstances and expectations here. Nothing about LA will apply to Philly. Case in point, fans calling for Holmgren to be fired after missing the playoffs once during a strike shortened season.
Good post. Can't really argue with any of it.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
I am not sure what Hextall has done to warrant such admiration as an assistant GM. LA was terrible for a long time, which is not something he cant do in Philly, and acquired a ton of draft choices. There was a lot of misses in those choices: Thomas Hickey, Colton Teubert, and Derek Forbort from the 1st round. He got there in June of 2006 so I am not sure if Bernier and Lewis is on him but it is not an impressive record for 1st round drafting especially compared to Holmgren.

LA was terrible for a long time, sold off their team multiple times at the deadline, and acquired a lot of picks and thus assets that they traded to get over the top. That strategy, though successful, does not work with the Flyers ownership and 18,000 season ticket holders. He will be under a totally different set of circumstances and expectations here. Nothing about LA will apply to Philly. Case in point, fans calling for Holmgren to be fired after missing the playoffs once during a strike shortened season.
Well honestly, he hasn't done a lot that we know of. But he's a recognizable/popular name coming from a team that just had success, and by all accounts a GM spot is in his future. He's definitely paid his dues, starting off in the scouting department over a decade ago and working his way up.

What makes me excited is the possibility he knows goalies. What gives me pause is Quick was drafted before he got there, and Bernier was drafted at around the same time...so who knows how involved he was with that decision.

I definitely prefer him to Hanrahan, who has done a questionable job as the CBA guy/capologist.

10-02-2013, 05:01 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well honestly, he hasn't done a lot that we know of. But he's a recognizable/popular name coming from a team that just had success, and by all accounts a GM spot is in his future. He's definitely paid his dues, starting off in the scouting department over a decade ago and working his way up.

What makes me excited is the possibility he knows goalies. What gives me pause is Quick was drafted before he got there, and Bernier was drafted at around the same time...so who knows how involved he was with that decision.

I definitely prefer him to Hanrahan, who has done a questionable job as the CBA guy/capologist.
I agree with you that he will make a good successor in the future, just don't understand those who want to replace Holmgren right now with him and expect him to be better. Fans have a right to complain about their teams GM, but the reality is Holmgren has had a very good record here: 5 out of 6 years in the playoffs with last years half season bs as the exception, 4 years in the 2nd rd, 2 conference championships appearances, 1 Stanley cup final. There have been very few teams to have that type of success lately, especially without being dreadful first for many years before hand.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:50 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I agree with you that he will make a good successor in the future, just don't understand those who want to replace Holmgren right now with him and expect him to be better. Fans have a right to complain about their teams GM, but the reality is Holmgren has had a very good record here: 5 out of 6 years in the playoffs with last years half season bs as the exception, 4 years in the 2nd rd, 2 conference championships appearances, 1 Stanley cup final. There have been very few teams to have that type of success lately, especially without being dreadful first for many years before hand.
Because he has been inconsistent and mediocre particularly since the big trade. I thought he redeemed himself a bit with the Carter and Richards trades and then he goes and get Bryz (maybe he should have "debated" his owner harder), continues to hold on to a coach that will most likely be ousted mid season despite there being good candidates in the offseason, continues to assemble a team that doesn't necessarily fit the coach's style particularly the D men and we are staring down the barrel of another underachieving year and possibly missing the playoffs because of all this.

The only thing he has been exceptional at has been drafting and all we have to do is keep the same staff.

I'm not sold on Hextall necessarily either and you make valid points but again b/c Snider is still breathing and won't stray from his cosa nostra family run business model..Hextall is pretty much a shoe in to be GM so why fight it. At least he has built up his resume..he deserves a chance to prove himself..might as well be here.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Codith

Psuhockey hit the nail on the head, couldn't have put it better. Also I don't think Homer has done that bad of a job, IMO his biggest mistake is keeping Lavy around, a little toooo long. This team needs a coach that promotes a better defensive system that fits the individuals we currently have.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:27 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Because he has been inconsistent and mediocre particularly since the big trade. I thought he redeemed himself a bit with the Carter and Richards trades and then he goes and get Bryz (maybe he should have "debated" his owner harder), continues to hold on to a coach that will most likely be ousted mid season despite there being good candidates in the offseason, continues to assemble a team that doesn't necessarily fit the coach's style particularly the D men and we are staring down the barrel of another underachieving year and possibly missing the playoffs because of all this.

The only thing he has been exceptional at has been drafting and all we have to do is keep the same staff.

I'm not sold on Hextall necessarily either and you make valid points but again b/c Snider is still breathing and won't stray from his cosa nostra family run business model..Hextall is pretty much a shoe in to be GM so why fight it. At least he has built up his resume..he deserves a chance to prove himself..might as well be here.
He signed Bryz because Snider told him to go out and get him at all cost.

The retooled young team overachieved in the first year after the Richards and Carter trade so it was kinda hard to fire Lavi when things turned a little rough.

I agree that the roster as it is, in particular defense, is not a good fit for Lavis's system but Streit was by far the best puck mover available on the UFA market and Homer got him. Maybe he could have traded for a real difference maker but not without tearing apart the forward corps.
They tried to draft 2 high quality D prospects. Too little, too late but a move in the right direction.

No excuse for keeping Lavi on a long leash way too long. Some boneheaded minor moves but all in all Homer has not been the issue. Just my two cents.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
He signed Bryz because Snider told him to go out and get him at all cost.

The retooled young team overachieved in the first year after the Richards and Carter trade so it was kinda hard to fire Lavi when things turned a little rough.

I agree that the roster as it is, in particular defense, is not a good fit for Lavis's system but Streit was by far the best puck mover available on the UFA market and Homer got him. Maybe he could have traded for a real difference maker but not without tearing apart the forward corps.
They tried to draft 2 high quality D prospects. Too little, too late but a move in the right direction.

No excuse for keeping Lavi on a long leash way too long. Some boneheaded minor moves but all in all Homer has not been the issue. Just my two cents.
Signing Bryz and not doing his homework was a massive mistake and invariably lead to us losing Bob. Yeah Snider probably was the main impetus behind it but Holmgren doesn't get a free pass on that one. Nobody should ...yet they all have.

Keeping Lavi too long like Stevens before him is not a minor mistake especially when it can cost you the playoffs. Even with Stevens he was saved by the skin of his teeth. He would have had 2 missed playoff seasons on his record if not for the miracle on ice we saw in 2010 in the second half when he finally realized he had to dump Stevens.

Last offseason he made too many miscalcs as well causing us to miss the playoffs....the Carle and Jagr losses because he chased the pipe dream of Parise and Suter hurt the team more than people are willing to admit. He had no plan B and the stopgaps of Gervais, Foster, Huskins, Knuble and Gagne for the loss of those two players were worthless.

Let's also not forget that Holmgren went on record to say that Lavi needed to adjust his style and basically help defend Bryz more. If you don't like your coache's system then get rid of him! Another mistake...

Again, he hasn't been very good since the Carter and Richards trade which I fully endorsed and felt was necessary for various reasons...

Old
10-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Signing Bryz and not doing his homework was a massive mistake and invariably lead to us losing Bob. Yeah Snider probably was the main impetus behind it but Holmgren doesn't get a free pass on that one. Nobody should ...yet they all have.

Keeping Lavi too long like Stevens before him is not a minor mistake especially when it can cost you the playoffs. Even with Stevens he was saved by the skin of his teeth. He would have had 2 missed playoff seasons on his record if not for the miracle on ice we saw in 2010 in the second half when he finally realized he had to dump Stevens.

Last offseason he made too many miscalcs as well causing us to miss the playoffs....the Carle and Jagr losses because he chased the pipe dream of Parise and Suter hurt the team more than people are willing to admit. He had no plan B and the stopgaps of Gervais, Foster, Huskins, Knuble and Gagne for the loss of those two players were worthless.

Let's also not forget that Holmgren went on record to say that Lavi needed to adjust his style and basically help defend Bryz more. If you don't like your coache's system then get rid of him! Another mistake...

Again, he hasn't been very good since the Carter and Richards trade which I fully endorsed and felt was necessary for various reasons...
You make some good points but you must be under the assumption that another GM would have produced a better overall record than Holmgren. When you actually compare his record to that of his peers, he is upper echelon. Here is the list of teams that have had 2 conference championship appearances and 4 2nd playoff appearances in the last 6 years(Holmgren's time as full time GM): Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, and San Jose.

If the Flyers fail to reach the playoffs this year, I agree he deserves to be fired, but it is hard for me to argue against the actual record of the team under his watch.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:03 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
You make some good points but you must be under the assumption that another GM would have produced a better overall record than Holmgren. When you actually compare his record to that of his peers, he is upper echelon. Here is the list of teams that have had 2 conference championship appearances and 4 2nd playoff appearances in the last 6 years(Holmgren's time as full time GM): Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, and San Jose.

If the Flyers fail to reach the playoffs this year, I agree he deserves to be fired, but it is hard for me to argue against the actual record of the team under his watch.
Those who follow ..never come in first. Holmgren to me is bold when he wants to be and needs to be but his decisions are not well thought out or longitudinal. He seems to be more reactionary than proactive. He dithers a bit too much. Having said this I do believe Snider meddles too much and inhibits his decision making but he needs to challenge his owner more and empower himself if he feels he is being overridden too much. Otherwise..step down....this may happen.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Meh...mere figure heads.....Hextall will lop off their heads with his stick if they meddle too much.

Bull crap

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:54 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

1st goes Lavi and a new head coach is hired, if this doesn't work Homer is gone at the end of the season and Hextall is his replacement.
Only scenario this doesn't happen if the Flyers jump out and have a great start and make the playoffs this year....I have my doubts.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 07:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

"Suit" up Hexy...

FIRE HOLMGREN AND LAVI.....