HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Final Roster

Old
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Antithesis
Member Ryan Hollweg?

vCash: 500
NYR should have Miller on the 3rd PK pair, get him that experience in a less pressured role.

Moore-Dorsett

Stepan-Nash

Boyle-Miller

Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Here were today’s lines and defense pairs:

Brad Richards-Derek Stepan-Rick Nash
Benoit Pouilot-Derick Brassard-Mats Zuccarello
Taylor Pyatt-Brian Boyle-Jesper Fast (who is now wearing No. 12)
J.T. Miller-Dominic Moore-Derek Dorsett/Arron Asham

Ryan McDonagh-Dan Girardi
Marc Staal-Michael Del Zotto
John Moore-Anton Stralman
Swap Miller and Boyle and put Cally in Pyatt's spot when he comes back and I am good with this lineup.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Calad
Section 422

Everyone assumed Boyle would be playing 4th line wing minutes. I said all along that Boyle will be our #3C, it fits perfectly into AVs system, and you guys said i was nuts

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Swap Miller and Boyle and put Cally in Pyatt's spot when he comes back and I am good with this lineup.
Even though Callahan is a RW? And Boyle is a better/more responsible center than Miller at this point? Yea, makes sense.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Switching Miller and Pyatt would be more prudent.

As long as you ignore Boyle making you feel
Disagree Pyatt has more third line skills than Boyle. Heck you probably have more 3rd line skills than Boyle. Miller is not a 4th line player; makes too many defensive mistakes. But definitely plays with jam and can score. So, as I said switch Miller and Boyle and plug Cally in on that third line to either replace Fast or Pyatt depending on who AV likes more.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Crazed Beaver

Boyle & Pyatt on our third line........

Crazed Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugice View Post
Boyle & Pyatt on our third line........
Callahan and Hagelin being hurt, and Kreider being ****, have a lot to do with that.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Disagree Pyatt has more third line skills than Boyle. Heck you probably have more 3rd line skills than Boyle. Miller is not a 4th line player; makes too many defensive mistakes. But definitely plays with jam and can score. So, as I said switch Miller and Boyle and plug Cally in on that third line to either replace Fast or Pyatt depending on who AV likes more.
What you fail to understand, time and time again, is that "3rd line skills" mean different things to different people/coaches.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Everyone assumed Boyle would be playing 4th line wing minutes. I said all along that Boyle will be our #3C, it fits perfectly into AVs system, and you guys said i was nuts
I don't know if you're nuts or not. I hoped AV would understand that if you put Boyle on the third line you are counting on only two lines to produce goals which means you will not be able to exploit a team's 3rd defensive pairing.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:22 AM
SnowblindNYR

And once again I'll throw up if Boyle is on the top 3 lines. The 3rd line needs to have some semblance of offense. I hate how coaches don't trust young players at all and would rather put in the KNOWN mediocre player rather than a young player with potential at 3C. Sickening. I thought this garbage was over with Torts. This is the main reason I want Boyle gone, he is useful on the 4th line and PK but coaches use him incorrectly anyway.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Even though Callahan is a RW? And Boyle is a better/more responsible center than Miller at this point? Yea, makes sense.
If Cally is unable to play the left side then you sit Fast and play him on the right. I see no reason to ever play Boyle on any line but the 4th. You cannot win with two 4th lines and any line Boyle is on effectively becomes a 4th line even if they get 3rd line minutes.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Crazed Beaver

Quote:
Callahan and Hagelin being hurt, and Kreider being ****, have a lot to do with that.
I understand the injuries, I'm just tired of these jags. Spot duty for pyatt and a fourth line roll for Boyle is all I want to see of these guys. I'd rather watch our kids, So much more enjoyable to watch.

Crazed Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Antithesis
Member Ryan Hollweg?

Some of the third lines we've fielded over the years include Wolski-Christensen-Zuccarello, Avery-Stepan-Fedotenko, Nieminen-Betts-Ward, ect.

It's frequently a spare parts line. Any consistent assortments we can get this year would be a bonus.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
And once again I'll throw up if Boyle is on the top 3 lines. The 3rd line needs to have some semblance of offense. I hate how coaches don't trust young players at all and would rather put in the KNOWN mediocre player rather than a young player with potential at 3C. Sickening. I thought this garbage was over with Torts. This is the main reason I want Boyle gone, he is useful on the 4th line and PK but coaches use him incorrectly anyway.
How many NHL coaches will it take to disagree with you before you start questioning your own opinion?

Old
10-02-2013, 11:28 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
His "rare" physical tools have never shown up on the scoresheet. I judge by results, not by how something looks.

Sometimes teams trade players too soon. Sometimes, too late.

He may become a player. So far, he is absolutely not one.

I cut him slack because he has some tools. Sometimes I think he would be better off as a great defensive forward.
That's not really true.

He led the Eagles in scoring when they won the NCAA title. He was one of the leading goal scorers on both USA WJC teams. He was one of the top scorers for the Rangers in the '11 playoffs.

Really the only disappointing "year" he's had was last year.

What Kreider has had in abundance is disappointing "shifts" and occasionally even "games". At BC there were long stretches where he would be completely invisible, gliding around the ice aimlessly in the offensive zone. He didn't do it regularly until last year.

Which is a huge concern.

I wrote this in February and I think it still applies:

Quote:
I guess I just don't buy the "it's in his head" argument. This isn't about a guy nervously shooting the puck into the goalies chest or making a tentative play in the defensive zone because he is afraid to make a mistake. This is about him not playing at the intensity level the coach wants to see. Forget finishing a check, just keep your damn feet moving. And even if that does not END UP being "Kreiders game" he needs to do that NOW.

The bottom line for me? The fact that a smart, hard working, extraordinarily fast and extremely strong young man can't seem to summon 5 minutes of noticeable skating is a little frightening.
I've never seen a motivated, skating Kreider not succeed. I've never seen a motivated and skating Kreider not produce.

I am not concerned about his gifts. I am very concerned about his motivation.

McRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:28 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Miller at least isn't a slug who has no potential for scoring. Boyle shouldn't be a 3C on a good team EVER. So disappointing. Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Antithesis
Member Ryan Hollweg?

Quote:
Miller at least isn't a slug who has no potential for scoring. Boyle shouldn't be a 3C on a good team EVER. So disappointing. Meet the new boss same as the old boss.
We'll see. Miller hasn't scored 33 goals over the course of 2 NHL seasons. Take away last season and Boyle's productivity is well in line with an above average 3rd liners.

I like Miller but too many on this board either don't do their homework of just view Boyle with an outstanding bias.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Yet another coach who would rather take the known defensive asset over stuffing the top 9 with unknown kids in hopes of offensive riches. Go figure.

Thats how NHL coaches keep their jobs, and why the peanut gallery is just that.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
What you fail to understand, time and time again, is that "3rd line skills" mean different things to different people/coaches.
Listen. I fail to understand nothing. I have different opinions about how a third line should operate. I am a firm believer that your third line needs to be somewhat of an offensive threat and therefore the center cannot be a slug who has made 5 or 10 good passes in the offensive zone in his entire career (and that may be generous). As I'm sure you've done many times on this blog, I disagree with the coach. And I disagree specifically if he sees his third line as defense only "checking unit". The best checking lines can stymie the other team's top players and threaten the opponent when in the O zone. Winning teams often have three lines that "can" score.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Antithesis
Member Ryan Hollweg?

It's a differing philosophy, but to call Miller an unknown kid whose sole point is to be an offensive player is false, just like claiming Boyle is offensively inept is also false.

NYR drafted Miller to become a two way player. Boyle is already a two way player. I like Miller better on the wing and by the look of it, so far Vignealt does as well.

Moore is a better overall checking center than Boyle, in many ways, but AV sees he has played well with Dorsett and wants to keep that going.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:35 AM
3rdlineglory
Korsi Kevin

Quote:
Listen. I fail to understand nothing. I have different opinions about how a third line should operate. I am a firm believer that your third line needs to be somewhat of an offensive threat and therefore the center cannot be a slug who has made 5 or 10 good passes in the offensive zone in his entire career (and that may be generous). As I'm sure you've done many times on this blog, I disagree with the coach. And I disagree specifically if he sees his third line as defense only "checking unit". The best checking lines can stymie the other team's top players and threaten the opponent when in the O zone. Winning teams often have three lines that "can" score.
AV is working with what he's got. Cally and Hags are injured and the kids didn't really impress in camp. Not to mention the Rangers have limited cap space.

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Here were today’s lines and defense pairs:

Brad Richards-Derek Stepan-Rick Nash
Benoit Pouilot-Derick Brassard-Mats Zuccarello
Taylor Pyatt-Brian Boyle-Jesper Fast (who is now wearing No. 12)
J.T. Miller-Dominic Moore-Derek Dorsett/Arron Asham

Ryan McDonagh-Dan Girardi
Marc Staal-Michael Del Zotto
John Moore-Anton Stralman
Would swap Pyatt and Miller. Boyle is the 3rd best guy on the line offensively, which means he can keep things simple and just crash the net and create space for the other two.

Richards at wing. Another nail in the coffin.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Im sure every coach in the world wants 3 lines that can score. The problem is that most teams don't have the soldiers to carry that out. This Rangers squad, especially with the injuries (and even without them), certainly do not.

So, what Tortorella and now Vigneault realize is that plugging Boyle in the 3C spot is the safest choice possible. Unlike you, they don't live in some sort of alternate reality where putting anyone but Boyle in that spot will instantly lead to offense.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
RGY
Kreid or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
NYR should have Miller on the 3rd PK pair, get him that experience in a less pressured role.

Moore-Dorsett

Stepan-Nash

Boyle-Miller
Nash on the PK? That has to be a typo. He is one of our worst defensive forwards, if not, the worst.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Antithesis
Member Ryan Hollweg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Nash on the PK? That has to be a typo. He is one of our worst defensive forwards, if not, the worst.
I like having one big offeensive threat on the PK lines at all times. It's one of the reasons I like it when Torts had Gaborik play some PK.

Heres why; it's not just about how good they are defensively, it's about the opposing team's mentality. If it's guys like Betts and Ortmeyer out there all the time, opposing dmen are not afraid. They have to move the puck around a lot, but they will take every inch towards the net you give them.

With a big offensive threat out there, opposing dmen will think twice about pinching. They might fumble the puck and give an opportunity the other way. Even better, an opposing coach might think twice about going with 4 forwards.

We used to have TJ Trevelyan on the PK and his #1 job was the puck hawk and look for breakaways.