HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Gazette: Souray says Habs should sign Markov first

Old
11-27-2006, 01:45 PM
The Saurus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
You should know better considering your team gave Kubina 5 million a season. Souray will get an offer of at 5 million from some team.
Yes but has Souray ever led his team to a SC? Kubina is and always has been a better defenseman than Souray.

IMO, the Leafs overpaid by about 500k for Kubina.

Souray is not worth 4.5 mil.. 4.0 is a stretch.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
They would get WAY BETTER offers than that on the open market.
Maybe, but do you actually think Souray worth 4M? I think 4M is a fair price, no more. If you pay more than that you overpaid, BUT I agree with you there are idiots who like to overpaid in the league.

Souray is right, signing Markov is a MUST. Souray minus his shot = nothing

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitso View Post
Yes but has Souray ever led his team to a SC? Kubina is and always has been a better defenseman than Souray.

Kubina hardly "led" his team to the SC, but that's another discussion. It's not really about what you think he's worth...on the UFA market he will get at least 5 million. And I have little doubt in my mind...is he worth that? I don't know...but he'll get it.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
He wasnt UFA...
Even if Markov was a RFA back then, he worths a lot more than 2M

Old
11-27-2006, 01:57 PM
AH

Quote:

So Kubina led them to the Cup. It wasn't St Louis, Lecav, or Richards, or Khabibulin... It was all Kubina.

Check the numbers... Souray has outscored and outperformed Kubina the last 2 years AND will do so for sure this season... Souray is worth more than Kubina on th eopen market.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Quote:

Souray is extremely valuable because he's deadly on the PP. I mean, he might score 30 goals this year. And he logs PK time also. I'd compare Souray to McCabe, not Kubina. And McCabe is making what 5.7M$?

The reality is right now, GMs are overpaying d-men on July 1st.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:03 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
So Kubina led them to the Cup. It wasn't St Louis, Lecav, or Richards, or Khabibulin... It was all Kubina.
Kubina was TB's anchor on the blue-line, a number one defenseman on a Cup winning team.

Quote:
Check the numbers... Souray has outscored and outperformed Kubina the last 2 years AND will do so for sure this season... Souray is worth more than Kubina on th eopen market.
Considering the Leafs already have two extremely good offensive defensemen in Kaberle and McCabe, Kubina can focus on what all defenders should do:

Play defense and he is certainly better at preventing goals than Souray is.

Old
11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
That being said...I can't say I disagree with Souray. Markov should be BG's #1 priority and I believe he will be signed before becoming an UFA.
I'd be shocked if Markov signs here.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Care to explain why?

Old
11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
The reality is... the most possible outcome is that we'll end up with Markov and Rivet. Souray will go somewhere.

Old
11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
klaudius

The only sure thing is that we are going to need to get a monster shot from the blueline next season...or else the PP will suffer...

klaudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:11 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Kubina was TB's anchor on the blue-line, a number one defenseman on a Cup winning team.

Considering the Leafs already have two extremely good offensive defensemen in Kaberle and McCabe, Kubina can focus on what all defenders should do:

You're confusing Boyle with Kubina.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:12 PM
AH

Quote:
No he wasn't...it was Boyle.

Quote:

Again bullsh*t since he had been in Tortorella's doghouse for numerous years because of his shoddy defensive play. So you're paying a guy $5 million just to be a defensive defenseman? Money well spent.

Old
11-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaudius View Post
The only sure thing is that we are going to need to get a monster shot from the blueline next season...or else the PP will suffer...
What about Kovalev at the point?

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
The neccessity of joint custody means he'll only ever see her half of the time. Of course, living on the West Coast doesn't really change that, it just makes it easier for the child, not having to fly around on planes and such. That said, it sounds like the details of this custody arangement were made after he said the comment about moving out West, so I believe that factor is moot. Souray will see his child for half of the year no matter where he is, and living closer wont change that.
As far as the Habs, I have no doubt they're waiting to see if the cap goes up again this year. I wouldn't pay Rivet more then 2 mil per year, and even then I'd want to go cheaper. He wants to stay, he needs to take a hometown discount. He's very replaceable by a young guy at this point, and that 2 mil could be the difference between keeping Markov and Souray or keeping Markov and getting some UFA scrap for 2.5 mil.

As for the article, I agree with many others here: Souray is just being pragmatic. Was probably asked about the situation, and he just put himself in Gainey's shoes. Didn't say anything about where he'd WANT to be, just what BG is likely to do.

As far as trading him... are you guys nuts? GM's around the league would give their left nut for a chance to bag Souray for their PP. The New NHL is all about PK and PP, and Souray is possibly the best PP guy in the league right now. Without a doubt, given our contention possibilities, Souray is going nowhere. If we end up getting nothing for him (isn't there still a draft pick compensation?) then so be it. If you have a shot at the cup, you take it. You can't always make trades aimed at next year! They invariably weaken your team for this year, and that is still the priority is it not!
Actually if he were to sign in LA or Anaheim he would see her alot more than he does now with her in LA and him in Montreal. Considering teams spend 3 1/2 months of the season at home thast 3 1/2 more months worth of time hed have to spend with her.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Hate to keep bringing this up, but to anyone who thinks Souray should be traded and wont help us at all in the playoffs I've got two words for you: Edmonton Oilers.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Well, let's not cry too much over milk that's still unspilt. Souray/Markov/Rivet at $13M is not *completely* impossible. It would mean our overall D-payroll (minus Niinimaa, of course) would rise to around $19M. Our goaltending (sans Aebischer) should check in around $3.5M. For a $44M cap that would leave $21.5M for the forwards... which can be projected various ways, but if you go by the post I made on the subject some months ago, our baseline projection is around $23M (assuming Bonk and Johnson replaced by kids like Lapierre and Chipchura, for example).

So actually, if the cap just went up by $2M we could squeeze them all in.

Although you'd really have to weight the cost of Souray at $5Mish vs. perhaps both Bonk and Johnson up front, etc.

Mind you, if we could get rid of Samsonov's $3.5M deal we might squeeze all the D in *plus* have room to get one of Bonk or Johnson back.

Anyway, the bottom line is that there are still cards to play, and nothing is yet ready for casting in stones, the glass is at least half full of milk.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:23 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
No he wasn't...it was Boyle.
Not according to Tortorella during Tampa's run. Nice try.

Old
11-27-2006, 02:27 PM
klaudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
What about Kovalev at the point?
I know its going to be tough to replace that lazer shot Souray's got going this year...

Kovalev is an option...but he doesn't seem to slap it as much... I mostly seem him wristing it from the sideboards...

klaudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:29 PM
AD

Quote:
I know its going to be tough to replace that lazer shot Souray's got going this year...

Kovalev is an option...but he doesn't seem to slap it as much... I mostly seem him wristing it from the sideboards...
Kovalev is an interesting option. But it seems he doesn't want to be on the point. He's been here 3 years and through 3 coaches and we still haven't seen him at the point. Maybe he said somthing to the coaches.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:55 PM
AH

Quote:
Not according to Tortorella during Tampa's run. Nice try.
Revisionist history ...nice try.

Kubina had been in Torts dog house for years, including last year.... ask any Lightning fan.

Old
11-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
Kovalev is an interesting option. But it seems he doesn't want to be on the point. He's been here 3 years and through 3 coaches and we still haven't seen him at the point. Maybe he said somthing to the coaches.
Kovalev is better on the boards and would only cause problems with his drifting and floating if he was on the point.

Old
11-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Habsfan18

I hope Markov and Souray are both back next year.

On Spectors site, Spector said that Rivet should get about 3.5 mill from the Habs

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:01 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Care to explain why?
1. He doesn't seem happy.

2. He has no privacy here whatsoever and doesn't speak either language very well. If I were him, I'd search out privacy in a city like NY (which is also a more fun place to live and has a large Russian community).

3. He can make big bucks on the market.

4. Montreal did nothing to acquire a defenseman who could complement his game, instead leaving the full workload on his shoulders again (and the blame: the media and fans consistently blame him even though he is by far our best defenseman and without him this team doesn't make the playoffs). Instead they signed an undersized forward who can't score, can't play d, and turns the puck over consistently. And nobody else even wanted this guy, he was benched in the playoffs and we gave him a big, longterm contract.

5. He can choose a team that has a proper defense so he doesn't have to carry more than his share of the load every game.

6. This team is too passive up front and our D does not move the puck well and is not agile enough in the defensive end to win a Cup.

That's why.

I'm suspicious that we didn't upgrade our defense because they didn't want Markov and Souray to put up big numbers going into free agency.

Rivet is already overpaid and overworked too.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 11-27-2006 at 03:07 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Sounds like Souray is being pragmatic about his situation and the Habs priorities in signing Markov first. The quote above (from the article) doesn't seem to lend itself to the prevailing notion on the board that he's as good as gone.
I think he took Gainey's Politics 101 course, lol, he never says what HE wants to do.
I believe there are two points which will determine what happens;
1. Does Markov want to test the open market or is he content to negotiate a deal to stay here?
2. Team performance, is Gainey confident that the return of Higgins is sufficient to get this team where he wants it? Is he aiming for a playoff spot this year or a Cup Final appearance?

The temptation for me to want to trade Souray + ? for a 2nd line centre is really strong right now, many pros and cons, but in my gut I don't think Gainey is going to make any signifigant trades this season.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote