HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Gazette: Souray says Habs should sign Markov first

Old
11-27-2006, 02:23 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
I think he took Gainey's Politics 101 course, lol, he never says what HE wants to do.
I believe there are two points which will determine what happens;
1. Does Markov want to test the open market or is he content to negotiate a deal to stay here?
2. Team performance, is Gainey confident that the return of Higgins is sufficient to get this team where he wants it? Is he aiming for a playoff spot this year or a Cup Final appearance?

The temptation for me to want to trade Souray + ? for a 2nd line centre is really strong right now, many pros and cons, but in my gut I don't think Gainey is going to make any signifigant trades this season.
He's not a good defenseman anyway (average at best imo), but his value may not be that high because he is in a contract year and has put up big numbers already. With our patchwork defense, if we move one guy and don't upgrade on him, the whole thing could cave in anyway. I don't see how we could trade him.

Having Kovalev on the point on the powerplay is a frightening proposition as well. I don't feel like watching him turn the puck over in the neutral zone twice a game on the powerplay.

If we moved Souray on the same line as Markov and tried to recreate a Kaberle-McCabe thing, then maybe it could work. But only if we upgrade on Rivet in the offseason.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
1. He doesn't seem happy.

2. He has no privacy here whatsoever and doesn't speak either language very well. If I were him, I'd search out privacy in a city like NY (which is also a more fun place to live and has a large Russian community).

3. He can make big bucks on the market.

4. Montreal did nothing to acquire a defenseman who could complement his game, instead leaving the full workload on his shoulders again (and the blame: the media and fans consistently blame him even though he is by far our best defenseman and without him this team doesn't make the playoffs). Instead they signed an undersized forward who can't score, can't play d, and turns the puck over consistently. And nobody else even wanted this guy, he was benched in the playoffs and we gave him a big, longterm contract.

5. He can choose a team that has a proper defense so he doesn't have to carry more than his share of the load every game.

6. This team is too passive up front and our D does not move the puck well and is not agile enough in the defensive end to win a Cup.

That's why.

I'm suspicious that we didn't upgrade our defense because they didn't want Markov and Souray to put up big numbers going into free agency.

Rivet is already overpaid and overworked too.

1. What Russian on the team DOES look happy? It's Russian nature to be Chuck Norris.

2. He's got plenty of Russians with whom to speak with on the team. As for privacy, maybe he WANTS to be a star in Montreal, he sure plays like it.

3. He can continue to have long-term security in Montreal for a modest paycheck.

4. He's playing with Komisaurus who DOES compliment his game. We have a stay-at-home d-man who likes to mix it up and dish out the hits which gives Marky boy the space and comfort to take risks and pinch in.

5. Maybe he LIKES all the playing time he gets? I've heard players complain about lack of ice-time, never too much.

6. Markov IS that puck-moving d-man you say we lack

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:32 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
1. What Russian on the team DOES look happy? It's Russian nature to be Chuck Norris.

2. He's got plenty of Russians with whom to speak with on the team. As for privacy, maybe he WANTS to be a star in Montreal, he sure plays like it.

3. He can continue to have long-term security in Montreal for a modest paycheck.

4. He's playing with Komisaurus who DOES compliment his game. We have a stay-at-home d-man who likes to mix it up and dish out the hits which gives Marky boy the space and comfort to take risks and pinch in.

5. Maybe he LIKES all the playing time he gets? I've heard players complain about lack of ice-time, never too much.

6. Markov IS that puck-moving d-man you say we lack
This is fun. My turn...

1. He's looking more grim than your average sour-puss Russian imo.

2. If he wants to be a star he sure doesn't play like it. He never shoots the puck and rarely carries it end-to-end.

3. The taxes in Quebec are slightly higher than what he'd pay at his level of salary in the US (and especially in Florida or Texas where there is no state tax). It's about the same everywhere else, or similar. But if he went to Florida, he'd save about $200k a year on a $5 million dollar salary.

4. Komisarek cannot shoot or move the puck. He's a nice 4/5 guy who can fill in, but he's neither a top shutdown pair guy or an offensive guy at this stage of his career.

5. It's not about playing time, it's about not having any help. Our centers are small or don't help out down low, though that has gotten a bit better.

6. You need FOUR puckmoving d-men to win a Cup and Markov is the ONLY reliable puck mover we have.

I'll just say that I'm a huge fan of his and hope he stays. He must recognize that this team has a lot of potential and that with free agency age eligiblity lowering, there will be better players in here in the next couple years. That could influence him to stay. And we have a goalie that is capable of winning a Cup - not every team can say that. Plus, if he did go to New York, the Russian mob would be on his case.... hee hee

Last edited by tinyzombies: 11-27-2006 at 02:48 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Pascal

Get rid of Rivet and Janne, and keep Souray/Markov.

Rivet doesn't bring anything more than a journeyman tough dman can bring, at a more expensive salary than he should get.

Markov and Souray are impact players.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Get rid of Rivet and Janne, and keep Souray/Markov.

Rivet doesn't bring anything more than a journeyman tough dman can bring, at a more expensive salary than he should get.

Markov and Souray are impact players.
Saku would be furious!

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Artyukhin*

i think eveyone is over reacting . we all talked about this along time ago . just imagine when crosby , maklin and staal when there all are seeking the leauge max the crying that will be going on over there .

as for souray it goona be sad to see him leave if infact that what he does , you will never replace the old crazy stare "im goona kill you" he does and he got the fists to back it up to .i think thats what im goona miss the most.

put yourself in sheldon shoes. his daughter is in the west and if he gets the chance to play for the Anaheim Ducks and actually make a bonfided run at the cup for the next 4 years he would be crazy to resign here in montreal as we just pray to make the first round of the playoffs .it works for him

the market will be full of defensemen next year so there will be lots to choose from . montreal will not be the only team having to make tuff choices.

wasnt there a rumour habs looking at the 105 mph slap shot defense guy overseas? play him on the point on the power play

gotta be more crafty and wiser with the dollars.

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 11-27-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
I just re-read the Gazette article and something struck me: Souray is referring to the past pretty much all the time. I don't like it.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:44 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
I Agree!!

Gainey should have traded him in the offseason!!

he knew souray wasnt coming back and souray knew it too!!

Talk that he migh get 6 mill a year!! LOl

Anyteam that signs him for that money is going to be dissapointed

If he goes to LA Watch him bomb
That team is pathetic playing D and Adding souray isnt going to help it!!
Yes...he should have traded him for a pair of boots in the offseason. So now our team would be 25th on the powerplay and missing our #1 goal scorer and our #2 point getter. We'd really enjoy that.....

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:48 PM
White Snake*

The scariest thing about that article was when it stated RIvet will be getting 3.5 a year. NO thanks, I will pass on that. How could we possibly offer him anywhere close to that. Im sure Bob is not going to but if he did that would have a devastating effect on our cap. WE just dont have 3.5 million available for a #5/6 defensemen. NO matter how much he wants to be here. 1.55 tops.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:53 PM
RNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Actually if he were to sign in LA or Anaheim he would see her alot more than he does now with her in LA and him in Montreal. Considering teams spend 3 1/2 months of the season at home thast 3 1/2 more months worth of time hed have to spend with her.
Actually, no. Even if he's in LA, if its his wife's turn to have custody, Souray won't get to see her. He can be in the same city all week, but if its not his week by law, then he doesn't get to see her. Thats it. So... weather he lives in LA or not, he'll see his daughter when its his turn. The only difference is that from Mtl, the daughter flies to Montreal, and in LA the mother probably just drives her to Souray's house. Not a big difference, certainly not worth being the deciding factor in one's career.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
Actually, no. Even if he's in LA, if its his wife's turn to have custody, Souray won't get to see her. He can be in the same city all week, but if its not his week by law, then he doesn't get to see her. Thats it. So... weather he lives in LA or not, he'll see his daughter when its his turn. The only difference is that from Mtl, the daughter flies to Montreal, and in LA the mother probably just drives her to Souray's house. Not a big difference, certainly not worth being the deciding factor in one's career.
I'd say that's a big difference. I don't know how old his daughter his but if she's starting grade school soon travelling from LA to Montreal for random weeks during the hockey season would mean she misses weeks of school at a time.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 04:19 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
I'd say that's a big difference. I don't know how old his daughter his but if she's starting grade school soon travelling from LA to Montreal for random weeks during the hockey season would mean she misses weeks of school at a time.
Well whats more important. The father to play in the greatest hockey city in the world or the mother staying in Cali to get these two bit TV ads. I blame the mom.

Old
11-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
Well whats more important. The father to play in the greatest hockey city in the world or the mother staying in Cali to get these two bit TV ads. I blame the mom.
what if the 2 bit tv ads pay more money?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
You must not be very old or have knowledge of how the "real" world works. Things aren't that simple and for all you know, they might've gotten divorced because Souray climaxed on Bridge's best friend daily, who knows?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 04:30 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Disclaimer: I didn't read the whole thread, so this could be repeated opinion.

I genuinely don't understand why this is really important news. Souray has effectively admitted that Markov is more of a cornerstone player than he is (which is true) and that Gainey should make sure he's signed Markov before locking up anyone else (which he should). These things are all true, but there's nothing stopping Gainey from inking Souray immediately after Markov.

I personally think that Montreal will make a commitment to winning, and make their best efforts to re-sign Souray before Rivet. He'll obviously test the market, to see if he can get his dollars up, but nothing he said makes me less confident Gainey will do his best to keep Souray, after Markov of course.

11-27-2006, 04:31 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
Saku would be furious!
Well if we start keeping players on the team just for Saku how does that differ from Roy demanding Demers stay on as head coach. WE would not allow Roy to control the franchise and Im pretty sure the same goes for Saku. Why dont we just trade Higgins for Mikka

Old
11-27-2006, 04:33 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Disclaimer: I didn't read the whole thread, so this could be repeated opinion.

I genuinely don't understand why this is really important news. Souray has effectively admitted that Markov is more of a cornerstone player than he is (which is true) and that Gainey should make sure he's signed Markov before locking up anyone else (which he should). These things are all true, but there's nothing stopping Gainey from inking Souray immediately after Markov.

I personally think that Montreal will make a commitment to winning, and make their best efforts to re-sign Souray before Rivet. He'll obviously test the market, to see if he can get his dollars up, but nothing he said makes me less confident Gainey will do his best to keep Souray, after Markov of course.
Exactly:

1st: Markov
2nd: Souray
3rd: Test FA market
4th: Rivet
5th: Ninimaa if all goes horribly wrong.
6th: Plead for Murray Baron outta retirement.

Old
11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Robiyardov
Irkutsk, Irkutskaya

Easier said than done...

It'd probably not happen, but if I were a GM I'd try everything to replace UFA-to-be Souray with the best d'men prospect possible...
The reason is quite simple. With Markov's salary certain to go through the roof (4.5m+) and with the others all making near or above 2m, the way to go, to me, would be to stack up on the future. A guy that could make an impact as early as next year, that would go cheap for a couple years to come.
Easier said than done, I know.

Of course, I am thinking of Jack Johnson (pipe-dream). Maybe there are others ?
With a guy like Johnson and Emelin already in the system, plus O'Byrne to a certain extent, we'd have a young core of blueliners for years to come, that would go cheap (first few years).

I'd give Souray & 1st pick to begin with (what would LA need ?).

Anyway, there will be no easy way with those three d'men, Markov, Souray & Rivet needed to be resigned... Lots of headache.

Robiyardov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Doesn't the NHL give team sandwich draft picks for losing players to unrestricted free agency?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Markimark

Quote:
The scariest thing about that article was when it stated RIvet will be getting 3.5 a year. NO thanks, I will pass on that. How could we possibly offer him anywhere close to that. Im sure Bob is not going to but if he did that would have a devastating effect on our cap. WE just dont have 3.5 million available for a #5/6 defensemen. NO matter how much he wants to be here. 1.55 tops.
Rivet at 1.55 is laughable. He will get at least what Steve Staios just signed for.
One thing is certain....all three have Don Meehan as their agent and there is no doubt he'll get all of them top dollar. BG is in a pickle.
Don't know what all the plather is about over this article. Souray is playing the media game. He already knows he's not sticking around.
Meehan knows Souray wants to be closer to his daughter and he knows BG can't afford to pay both he and Markov the big money so what would you do if you were Meehan...of course, you'd market him to another team in the states. As their agent he will then make 3% of two big contracts. Makes sense to me!
This is a business guys....these guys are out to make the biggest money they can in for a short period of time and there won't be a lot of UFA D to pick from.

Markimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 05:08 PM
lazek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Doesn't the NHL give team sandwich draft picks for losing players to unrestricted free agency?
Since the new CBA, not anymore.

lazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Nope, that's the old CBA.

As for this thread it can be resumed in a few words : "learn to read english better" or "read the article". I don't know wich it is but only francophones seem to think the artircle says something is doesn't.

What it does say itsn't even news. Who on Saku's green earth doesn't know Markov is better than Souray yet?

I won't even comment on the genius that said we should trade all our UFA's to start rebuilding the team. Been there, done that.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robiyardov View Post
It'd probably not happen, but if I were a GM I'd try everything to replace UFA-to-be Souray with the best d'men prospect possible...
The reason is quite simple. With Markov's salary certain to go through the roof (4.5m+) and with the others all making near or above 2m, the way to go, to me, would be to stack up on the future. A guy that could make an impact as early as next year, that would go cheap for a couple years to come.
Easier said than done, I know.

Of course, I am thinking of Jack Johnson (pipe-dream). Maybe there are others ?
With a guy like Johnson and Emelin already in the system, plus O'Byrne to a certain extent, we'd have a young core of blueliners for years to come, that would go cheap (first few years).

I'd give Souray & 1st pick to begin with (what would LA need ?).

Anyway, there will be no easy way with those three d'men, Markov, Souray & Rivet needed to be resigned... Lots of headache.

No headache at all. Plenty of time to make decisions. Let's first see how the team will perform until the end of the year and in the playoffs - if it makes it of course.

- Rivet will stay in Montreal at a cheaper price just to play with Saku for the rest of his carreer.

- Markov will stay if all his fellow Russians teamates stay in Montreal;

- Souray will stay oif the Habs come close to win big in the playoffs.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 05:25 PM
ppil

If I remember correctly, the year that Sourray went to the all-star game, he just had a big slump in the 2nd half of the year, I'm not saying that it will happen but don't it's not because that he's been playing like a 5M$ dman that it will stay like this all year.

And yes Rivet will stay here, cause he always has been here and I see him getting around 2,75-3M for like 3 to 4 years, long terms = less money and Rivet isn't injury prone or anything so it's kinda safe to sign him long term, and if Sourray and Rivet are gone, we will have some leadership problems.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 05:28 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post

Do you think they actualy have a little girl fly arround the country like that? And what about when she starts school?
That post makes 0 sense.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote