HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. III - TSN1200 is HERE!

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2013, 07:52 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
ItWasAVeryGoodCake

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
As I already explained previously, I am driving around for 8+ hours a day. I listen to TSN 1200 pretty much the entire day (I switch on commercials to CBC & CFRA). I don't have the luxury of streaming internet radio for 3 hours in the van that I drive around.

Jim Rome is levels beyond anybody in the Ottawa scene. The guy is the creme de la creme of Sports radio. You should feel lucky that you even got to experience his voice.

I'm almost positive that the folk clamoring for more local talk (in a city that has ONE PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM) don't listen sports radio for the entire day. By Friday afternoon, when I've listen to countless hours of simmer and yorkie I'm ready to drive the van off a bridge.
Haha lucky we got to experience his voice, you have a total hard on for Romie. If you live in your van all day and want to listen to him, just stream it on your phone and plug it into an aux port, or get a wireless transmitter, they are cheap. If you spend every waking moment of the day in your van, that set-up is a small investment to avoid the impending suicide that you described.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Spex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perjong View Post
Wow, there is a lot of people here with sticks in their anuses. People whining about Jungle Jim, people whining about Simmer, people whining how they get off topic. Heaven forbid the hosts are not talking spots every second of every minute of every hour! How dare they talk about something else for a few minutes, like something in their lives! The nerve of them! You people must be the life of the party, shunning any sort of levity and non-spports talk.

12 hours of straight sports talk would get boring real fast, especially when each show will cover the same thing.

The thing is, sports are unimportant. Talking about sports is even more unimportant. And doing it for 12 hours stright without some levity is just ridiculous. Yes, it is sports talk radio, but that doesn't mean they can't go off the rails sometimes. Maybe lighten up and get a sense of humour. I listen to Team 1200, but not for the boring and useless sports talk. I listen for the off the rails stuff, the bits that JR does (El Predicto!), and Steve's occasional immaturity. That is entertaining. Constant talk about sports, revisiting the same topic every hour? I have no use for that.

Before Jungle was let go, TGOR was must-listen radio every day, because you never knew what he would say or what faux-pas would happen. After that, if I missed the show, I didn't care; I knew I wasn't missing much. These days the show has gotten even more watered down and dull.

This re-branding only ensures that everything will get even more corporate, more dull, more watered down, and even more boring. The whole point of radio morning shows is to give you a dose of humour on your way to work. And it appears that is something a lot of you could use more of. Pull those sticks out of your anuses and don't put so much importance on something as unimportant as sports. Have a chuckle in the morning, enjoy the banter between all the hosts while it lasts before corporate ruins everything.

On a side note, Ian Mendez sucks on the radio. He's boring and has a terrible radio voice. He was fine on Sportsnet when you'd only have to listen to him for a few minutes at a time, but four hours of this guy is unbearable. Dave Gross should have stuck around.
Pot calling the kettle black?

Here's a pro tip...If you are going to write a multi paragraph post complaining about people who complain about the hosts...don't end off with a complaint about a host

Last edited by Spex: 10-02-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old
10-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Hey guys, lay off the hosts, ok? They are just doing their jobs.

ps that one host sucks lol

Old
10-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 200
Quote:
Wow, there is a lot of people here with sticks in their anuses. People whining about Jungle Jim, people whining about Simmer, people whining how they get off topic. Heaven forbid the hosts are not talking spots every second of every minute of every hour! How dare they talk about something else for a few minutes, like something in their lives! The nerve of them! You people must be the life of the party, shunning any sort of levity and non-spports talk.

12 hours of straight sports talk would get boring real fast, especially when each show will cover the same thing.
Really bad analogy. If you're at a party you're in basically a melting pot of different people, opinions, it's going to get zany at some point, it's freeform.

If I am listenting to a sports radio show and I hear one of the hosts go off about how he had three glasses of pino and schmoozed cougars then called up Jan Bulis and they went for pizza, that's dead air. That's 3-5 minutes that could have been used to talk about a hockey matchup, NFL news, the MLB playoffs, whatever. Simmer is pretty bad for this (he has seemed to have toned it down, to his credit), but he hasn't been the only one in the station to fall into the trap of thinking people actually care about him instead of his take. And getting boring fast? You can switch speeds talking about sports and make it fresh. Guests, debates, previews...

Quote:
Before Jungle was let go, TGOR was must-listen radio every day, because you never knew what he would say or what faux-pas would happen. After that, if I missed the show, I didn't care; I knew I wasn't missing much. These days the show has gotten even more watered down and dull.

This re-branding only ensures that everything will get even more corporate, more dull, more watered down, and even more boring. The whole point of radio morning shows is to give you a dose of humour on your way to work. And it appears that is something a lot of you could use more of. Pull those sticks out of your anuses and don't put so much importance on something as unimportant as sports. Have a chuckle in the morning, enjoy the banter between all the hosts while it lasts before corporate ruins everything.
I get what morning shows are for. Jerome wasn't humorous, he was creepy going on about teenage girls and his obsession with 99 and being drunk on-air. Good riddance.
Also not sure how "corporate' ruins everything, limits breed creativity, creativity breeds innovation and fresh ideas.

Quote:
I never listend to whatever show Kulka was on. Loved Jungle (at least the show was interesting when he was on). Studley was a terrible host on TV since he came across as boring, uninterested, stiff, and just someone you don't want to watch. Like Max Keeping. I liked Stuntman - what exactly was his on-air "issue"? Never heard Eastwood. I assume he's some sort of hockey player

(...) Maybe if people didn't take themselves so seriously, they could appreciate a dose of it now and then. Any humour is better than no humour.

Also, you don't have to convince me about Simmer's short comings. He isn't funny; the odd time that I laughed when he was on the air was not from what he said per se, but from how the Steve and JR reacted since they weren't expecting it. I don't even like hearing Simmer talk about sports because he talks far too much, often not really saying anything of substance, or saying the same thing more than once.
Completely disagree. Wildly inappropriate, borderline racist trash (Jimmy Yip takes) has no room on a sports radio station, especially one owned by a massive media conglomerate. I'm selective about the stuff I listen to, if I hear stuff on Team1200 that is racist or so on, I pen a letter to CBSC and let them know. It usually ends up cleaning things up considerably.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Canadian91

This thread is the height of Ottawa complaining. Noone will ever be happy with the roster moves that they make.

I'm not sure I've ever heard a group of people collectively **** on a radio station or media outlet like most of the people here do - here's a tip: if you don't like it, don't listen.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
This thread is the height of Ottawa complaining. Noone will ever be happy with the roster moves that they make.

I'm not sure I've ever heard a group of people collectively **** on a radio station or media outlet like most of the people here do - here's a tip: if you don't like it, don't listen.
They just aren't using the tools granted to them. Now that they're on TSN they could easily unite a bunch of shows or at least cross-pollinate. Get MacKenzie, Dreger, Montreal guys on, one per hour, get the Winnipeg and Edmonton guys, make it an hourly feature that surveys the other teams. It could be so, so, so much better.

Let me show you what I mean. WAY back in the day the afternoon slot was John Rodenberg (J.R.) with Garry Galley and that was probably some of the best stuff they had. JR wasn't afraid of having a contrary opinion, Galley had some very intelligent sports takes, perfect. The morning was kinda wasteland for a while, but Lee Versage + X was decent. The morning show was somewhat of a trainwreck with Jerome.

Team1200 could be one of the best of the TSN stations but for some reason it seems to have stalled its development. Shame.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

If I enjoyed sports talk radio enough to listen to it all day, I would definitely invest in siriusXM radio. Variety is the spice of life.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
They just aren't using the tools granted to them. Now that they're on TSN they could easily unite a bunch of shows or at least cross-pollinate. Get MacKenzie, Dreger, Montreal guys on, one per hour, get the Winnipeg and Edmonton guys, make it an hourly feature that surveys the other teams. It could be so, so, so much better.

Let me show you what I mean. WAY back in the day the afternoon slot was John Rodenberg (J.R.) with Garry Galley and that was probably some of the best stuff they had. JR wasn't afraid of having a contrary opinion, Galley had some very intelligent sports takes, perfect. The morning was kinda wasteland for a while, but Lee Versage + X was decent. The morning show was somewhat of a trainwreck with Jerome.

Team1200 could be one of the best of the TSN stations but for some reason it seems to have stalled its development. Shame.
MacKenzie is interviewed by AJ on every pregame.

Galley is on for an hour every weekday with the NHL power hour.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy on the Road View Post
If I enjoyed sports talk radio enough to listen to it all day, I would definitely invest in siriusXM radio. Variety is the spice of life.
I spend the majority of my day driving and have XM. It is more than worth what I pay for it.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Perjong

Quote:
If I am listenting to a sports radio show and I hear one of the hosts go off about how he had three glasses of pino and schmoozed cougars then called up Jan Bulis and they went for pizza, that's dead air. That's 3-5 minutes that could have been used to talk about a hockey matchup, NFL news, the MLB playoffs, whatever. Simmer is pretty bad for this (he has seemed to have toned it down, to his credit), but he hasn't been the only one in the station to fall into the trap of thinking people actually care about him instead of his take. And getting boring fast? You can switch speeds talking about sports and make it fresh. Guests, debates, previews...
That is not dead air. That's probably more interesting than any of the on-topic stuff. And what is 3-5 minutes anyways? They have 4 hours to talk about whatever bit of sports nonsense you are interested in. They would have even more time without the phone interviews with meaningless and unimportant guests they have on in the afternoon.

Quote:
Completely disagree. Wildly inappropriate, borderline racist trash (Jimmy Yip takes) has no room on a sports radio station, especially one owned by a massive media conglomerate. I'm selective about the stuff I listen to, if I hear stuff on Team1200 that is racist or so on, I pen a letter to CBSC and let them know. It usually ends up cleaning things up considerably.
So having a Chinese guy on the radio talking about golf is now racist? What? Or replaying his "Hu Tang Long Bang Tony Chang and Jimmy Yip Golf Academy and Smorgasbord" sound bite? How is that racist.

And you just made my point by saying what does and doesn't belong on a station owned by a massive media conglomerate. Being owned by that conglomerate means it now has to be a squeaky clean, boring station. You're the typical white person who likes to be offended so he can write and complain about it. No wonder the station has gotten dull.

And again, about Mendez, I am sure he is a fine sports person, but his voice doesn't suit the radio, especially for 4 hours.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
That is not dead air. That's probably more interesting than any of the on-topic stuff. And what is 3-5 minutes anyways? They have 4 hours to talk about whatever bit of sports nonsense you are interested in. They would have even more time without the phone interviews with meaningless and unimportant guests they have on in the afternoon.

So having a Chinese guy on the radio talking about golf is now racist? What? Or replaying his "Hu Tang Long Bang Tony Chang and Jimmy Yip Golf Academy and Smorgasbord" sound bite? How is that racist.

And you just made my point by saying what does and doesn't belong on a station owned by a massive media conglomerate. Being owned by that conglomerate means it now has to be a squeaky clean, boring station. You're the typical white person who likes to be offended so he can write and complain about it. No wonder the station has gotten dull.

And again, about Mendez, I am sure he is a fine sports person, but his voice doesn't suit the radio, especially for 4 hours.
Do you even like sports? 3-5 minutes is not what anyone is complaining about. It is the constant non sports talk that take conversations way off topic. When you are the center of attention at the bar and people are laughing is one thing, when you are on the radio trying to do the same it's something entirely different.

You are all over the place in trying to defend Jungle and Simmer.

What made you want to sign up to a hockey forum and only respond to criticism of radio hosts? It is like you are taking this personally.

I don't think anyone here complains about radio hosts opinion concerning sports takes, it is when they don't have sports takes and try and make bad jokes every single chance the get. No one else is laughing. That makes for bad radio.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Quote:

Considering you are using a name which is slang for genitals and a word Jim Jerome used quite often during his stint and created an account just for this, im guessing serious/adult things of any nature don't really interest you.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Spex

Quote:
What?

Old
10-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Perjong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Do you even like sports? 3-5 minutes is not what anyone is complaining about. It is the constant non sports talk that take conversations way off topic. When you are the center of attention at the bar and people are laughing is one thing, when you are on the radio trying to do the same it's something entirely different.

You are all over the place in trying to defend Jungle and Simmer.

What made you want to sign up to a hockey forum and only respond to criticism of radio hosts? It is like you are taking this personally.

I don't think anyone here complains about radio hosts opinion concerning sports takes, it is when they don't have sports takes and try and make bad jokes every single chance the get. No one else is laughing. That makes for bad radio.
Yes, I like sports; hockey and soccer. But I am not obsessed with them that I have to listen to people talk about nothing but those things for 12 hours a day. Hence why the constant non sports talk appeals to me. Sure, talk about hockey for 15 minutes, or whatever, but throwing in something that is off topic doesn't hurt either. The best TGOR shows are the ones that made me laugh, not the ones where they talk about a hockey game for three hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Considering you are using a name which is slang for genitals and a word Jim Jerome used quite often during his stint and created an account just for this, im guessing serious/adult things of any nature don't really interest you.
They do, but not in the morning. And I wouldn't call talking about the previous night's hockey game or what is happening in the National Felons League serious/adult things. Adults obsessing about sports is no different than kids obsessing about Pokémon. In the end, it's all a meaningless waste of time.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:34 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Rome has good interviews but that's about it. The rest of his show is terrible. Glad he is gone.
Thankfully don't have to listen to horse racing crap anymore. Ever.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:30 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

This thread is all kinds of funny!

Old
10-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
This is a great interview with Thomson

Old
10-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
This is a great interview with Thomson
Always the best argument imo when debating whether fighting improves the game or if it would be missed. Olympics and Playoffs

Old
10-02-2013, 03:46 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Always the best argument imo when debating whether fighting improves the game or if it would be missed. Olympics and Playoffs
Both the Olympics & Playoffs run for a short period of time & have a lot at stake. BTW that last few yrs of playoffs were full of fights & I expect that again this season. I'm not sure I would like international hockey for 82 games but I would be open to the NHL going to an international ice surface since the players are so much bigger & faster.

Until there is some transition from coaches like Carlyle & guys like Cherry I don't see a lot of change coming regarding fighting in hockey. I've mentioned this so many times on here that teams like Montreal & Edmonton are going to get beat up because they are too small & soft. While so many want no more fighting in hockey IMO there would be a lot more stick violations, if they do take it out. Also until every team cuts their tough guys who are just there to fight don't expect fighting to stop. I've also said many time that Carlyle starts almost evey game with a staged fight to set the tone for the game. IMO the Leafs are a team who will fight their way to the cup, like it or not popular or not. That's how they have built their team as well as their farm team & even their prospects are a lot of big tough guys.

Old
10-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

I also like the 10 fight rule in the OHL. That should be a first step here in the nhl. reasons not to?

Old
10-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Banning staged fighting should be step #1.

Stage fight and get a 10 game bad, same as jumping off the bench.

Old
10-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
I also like the 10 fight rule in the OHL. That should be a first step here in the nhl. reasons not to?
That is a terrible rule. It basically prevents players from sticking up for their team mates.

Old
10-02-2013, 07:23 PM
SensBrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Banning staged fighting should be step #1.

Stage fight and get a 10 game bad, same as jumping off the bench.
If that happens, then there would be constant debate about what qualifies as a staged fight and there would be too much controversy (see Clarkson, Bissonette suspension controversies).

Old
10-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensBrawler View Post
If that happens, then there would be constant debate about what qualifies as a staged fight and there would be too much controversy (see Clarkson, Bissonette suspension controversies).
They need to push that button sooner or later though. It's the next step. Answering some of the hard questions.

Old
10-02-2013, 07:39 PM
salomonster

This is the 1st week so the shows are not dialed yet plus the Senators have not begun yet so talk radio is a bit stale.

Also when the CFl team and soccer team next starts it will will fill the air waves.

Im just happy to have hockey back soon

Closed Thread