HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2013-14 Ongoing Waiver Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

vCash: 500
I like Urbom, but I'm not sure if there's a team that really sees him as an upgrade right now. I think he'll clear, if only because not a lot of teams have injuries and what not right now.

Clemmensen is hardly an upgrade for Pittsburgh right now. I'd rather see what Zatkoff or even Hartzell can do because we already know that Clemmer isn't good.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:04 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I like Urbom, but I'm not sure if there's a team that really sees him as an upgrade right now. I think he'll clear, if only because not a lot of teams have injuries and what not right now.

Clemmensen is hardly an upgrade for Pittsburgh right now. I'd rather see what Zatkoff or even Hartzell can do because we already know that Clemmer isn't good.
Calgary could claim Urbom as we have Smith as our 7th defenseman and he has already cleared waivers and Urbom fits the age category Calgary is after, he is also a big player which we need.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Siller the Thriller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Calgary could claim Urbom as we have Smith as our 7th defenseman and he has already cleared waivers and Urbom fits the age category Calgary is after, he is also a big player which we need.
What is going on with Chris Breen?

Old
10-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Tocchet View Post
What is going on with Chris Breen?
Injured, but now skating. He might be sent back to Abbotsford on a conditioning stint. That said, Burke and Feaster have mentioned they want to get bigger and younger, and Urbom could be a nice pickup for Calgary.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Going out on the limb and predicting that the Jets claim Urbom.

Chevy usually claims a player or two at the beginning of each season (MacLean, Miettinen, Wright, Peluso), plus the Jets need an LHD at the moment with Clitsome injured.

It also opens up the possibility of trading Postma.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:15 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Going out on the limb and predicting that the Jets claim Urbom.

Chevy usually claims a player or two at the beginning of each season (MacLean, Miettinen, Wright, Peluso), plus the Jets need an LHD at the moment with Clitsome injured.

It also opens up the possibility of trading Postma.
Not if we get him first

Of course with that said watch no one claim him.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Hmm, yeah that's a fair point. I'm still not sure Calgary will use a contract spot for him when there isn't a huge need to do so...let's say Urbom is slightly better than Smith, is it worth putting out another X amount of dollars for such a marginal upgrade on a player that doesn't dress? From a logistics standpoint, I'm not sure I see him being claimed.

That said, if Derek Smith is out of the lineup, I'm assuming that means Chris Butler is somehow still in the NHL...? In that case, claim on...I'm sorry, but I think he's just awful.

Chris Butler theme song...

Old
10-02-2013, 12:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Hmm, yeah that's a fair point. I'm still not sure Calgary will use a contract spot for him when there isn't a huge need to do so...let's say Urbom is slightly better than Smith, is it worth putting out another X amount of dollars for such a marginal upgrade on a player that doesn't dress? From a logistics standpoint, I'm not sure I see him being claimed.

That said, if Derek Smith is out of the lineup, I'm assuming that means Chris Butler is somehow still in the NHL...? In that case, claim on...I'm sorry, but I think he's just awful.

Chris Butler theme song...

We only have 45 contracts and have millions in cap space and have been told that we can spend to the cap. Feaster wants to get young, big, and stronger and Urbom does that over Smith in every department. Feaster said in his press conference on Monday the only players they will bring in are those that fit their criteria.

TLDR: Urbom is exactly what Feaster has said he wants, I would be shocked if we didn't put a claim in.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by I trust Gary Bettman View Post
i imagine pit will claim clemmensen since vokoun is out 3-6 months
No cap space to do that. Vokoun LTIR cap relief is already spent to the max. Also you could most likely sign a better goalie like Theodore for cheaper salary. But the team will be going AHL All-Star Jeff Zatkoff as the backup for the time being.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

I wouldn't be shocked with anything regarding waivers. But if you weren't 3,000 miles I'd bet you a cold one that Calgary doesn't claim him...

Old
10-02-2013, 12:49 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked with anything regarding waivers. But if you weren't 3,000 miles I'd bet you a cold one that Calgary doesn't claim him...
That would be a good bet. Urbom makes so much sense for what we are looking for so it probably won't happen, but it is the prefect time gamble on a player like him when we can reassign Smith without having to waive him.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I'm going to bet Urbom gets claimed.

He will never put up more than say 25 points but he is excellent defensively. I can see a team like Calgary or Colorado grabbing him. Even Tampa may want to consider him as a possible pairing with fellow Swede Hedman.
Best case scenario Urbom averages 15 points per season, he'll never touch 25. He's average defensively, but can get better, or not.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:12 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker
I'm going to bet Urbom gets claimed.

He will never put up more than say 25 points but he is excellent defensively. I can see a team like Calgary or Colorado grabbing him. Even Tampa may want to consider him as a possible pairing with fellow Swede Hedman.

Actually, that sounds like the perfect young waiver pickup for the Jets. We have no LHD depth because everyone is RHD (Redmond, Postma, Trouba, Morrissey). Also, they're more offensively driven than known for their good defensive zone play. Someone like Urborm could really be worth a look for Chevy. I hope he claims him.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:26 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Can the jets claim him? I guess we can if we send down pardy. Putting him in waivers would look fantastic. But then another move would have to be made to activate clitsome.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:27 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

We already did send down Pardy.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:28 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Was he not brought back up after clitsome was placed on ir?

Old
10-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
Best case scenario Urbom averages 15 points per season, he'll never touch 25. He's average defensively, but can get better, or not.
I live near Albany,NY so I have seen him play with the Albany Devils many times. He is above average defensively. He tends to be one of their best defensemen every night, usually the best. He controls the back end like a quarterback for them. He is great at closing in on forwards, taking the puck away and making a good first pass.

I agree that he will never put up a lot of points. But if you want a very sound defensive dman with size who can really calm things down on the back end, he is great at that. Every NHL team needs at least 1 of those guys. So yes I do think someone will claim him. I would say he is NHL ready too...if you start him on the 3rd pair and let him keep adjusting to the NHL slowly.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:32 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
We already did send down Pardy.
Nope.

Pardy cleared waivers but was not assigned to the AHL. Was listed right on NHL.com as one of Winnipeg's scratches which he wouldn't have been if he'd been sent to the AHL.

10-02-2013, 01:45 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I live near Albany,NY so I have seen him play with the Albany Devils many times. He is above average defensively. He tends to be one of their best defensemen every night, usually the best. He controls the back end like a quarterback for them. He is great at closing in on forwards, taking the puck away and making a good first pass.

I agree that he will never put up a lot of points. But if you want a very sound defensive dman with size who can really calm things down on the back end, he is great at that. Every NHL team needs at least 1 of those guys. So yes I do think someone will claim him. I would say he is NHL ready too...if you start him on the 3rd pair and let him keep adjusting to the NHL slowly.
Sounds like he's exactly what the jets need. Can't beat the price either. Anyone interested in Stuart or postma?

Old
10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Been a fan of Urbom's for a while, would love for the Capitals to claim him if McPhee/Oates continue to have a lack of faith in Orlov.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:20 PM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Colby Robak passes waivers, so should Urbom

Old
10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Hoping the Flames claim Urbom, I think he has a lot of untapped defensive potential.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I think the Flames claim him, he fits exactly what we are missing on our blueline and it would cost us no assets to get him. I'd actually be shocked if we didn't claim him based on Feaster's comments.

Old
10-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Stevens 4

Urbom is a 6/7 right now with potential to possibly be a 3/4 full time in the future. I really hope we sneak him through, but I wouldn't be surprised if a team hurting for young defenseman grabs him.

Old
10-02-2013, 03:09 PM
ChoseLa

Habs don't have a 7th defencemen at the moment, wouldnt they be high on the waiver wire now that we lost the first game?

Closed Thread