HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

In praise of Andre Savard (and Rejean Houle)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2004, 12:38 PM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
In praise of Andre Savard (and Rejean Houle)

These guys took a lot of blame in the past, but for our current team and its success
we owe some praise to the 2 of them as the on ice product is mostly the results of their combined effort, although their predecessor, Serge Savard, also amazingly accounts for a significant portion of the core of the team:

Goalies:

Theo (Serge Savard)
Garon (Houle)

Defense:

Quintal (Houle)
Souray (Houle)
Brisebois (Serge Savard)
Rivet (Serge Savard)
Markov (Houle)
Bouillon (Houle)
Komi (Andre Savard)

Forwards:

Saku (Serge Savard)
Bulis (Andre Savard)
Ryder (Houle)
Ribs (Houle)
Zednik (Andre Savard)
Dagenais (Gainey/Andre Savard?)
Juneau (Andre Savard)
Dackell (Andre Savard)
Perreault (Andre Savard)
Sundstrom (Andre Savard)
Ward (Houle)
Kilger (Andre Savard)
Langdon (Gainey)
Begin (Gainey)

Am I correct? Just thought it was worth mentioning, plus the very rich farm system also attributable to Mssrs Houle and mainly Andre Savard.

Old
01-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
These guys took a lot of blame in the past
Please, my friend, André Savard was and is viewed as highly as jesus christ around here. Only Bob 'God' Gainey has dethroned him in the area of praise.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:41 PM
SoundsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller
Please, my friend, André Savard was and is viewed as highly as jesus christ around here. Only Bob 'God' Gainey has dethroned him in the area of praise.

To add to that, it is also the "little" moves BG has made that makes the dif.(Audette and Kilger)
Before that, the Habs were going down the drain again and a majority of people (in the press) were putting pressure on him and requesting a trade. BG is cool as a cat and knows his buisness; No trade! A few "little" moves and boom: His team looks great.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:50 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Sigh, look at all of Houles mistakes, then weigh them, then realize the luck.

Old
01-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Sigh, look at all of Houles mistakes, then weigh them, then realize the luck.
Exactly. He chose a few good players but his trades were awful.

Savard did a great job but Chow & McKay brought up serious questions. His ability to negotiate contracts wasn't that good either.

Gainey will slowly bring us a cup. I'm pretty sure we'll see one (or at least the finals) before 2010.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Quintal (Houle)
Bouillon (Houle)
Ryder (Houle)
Ribs (Houle)
Dagenais (Gainey/Andre Savard?)
Ward (Houle)
Am I correct? Just thought it was worth mentioning, plus the very rich farm system also attributable to Mssrs Houle and mainly Andre Savard.
Quintal was an Andre Savard pickup, as was Bouillon(picked off waivers). Ryder, Ribs and Ward were all houle busts until Savard implemented a development system that worked. Dagenais was strictly Gainey.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Savard did a great job but Chow & McKay brought up serious questions.
At least those only cost us money. if it was Houle it would have cost us Theodore and koivu.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
At least those only cost us money. if it was Houle it would have cost us Theodore and koivu.
It's scary to think that Houle might have actually did that too!

Old
01-15-2004, 06:37 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Bulis (Andre Savard)///////Zednik (Andre Savard).
im pretty sure it waz houle who got us bulis zednik and a draft pick that ended up to be perezhogin for linden and zubrus.
thats one of my faivoret trades this team has ever done.
please someone correct me if im wrong about houle that did this trade.

Old
01-15-2004, 06:45 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

It should be a thread foremost in praise of Serge Savard, as he drafted Theo. Without Theo, this team is nowhere near as competitive as it is.

Second, if Andre Savard is still at the helm, you don't have the gritty players that are allowing the other players to express themselves freely, you are not playing some of the kids that are making a difference, and boo-birds are still giving Brisebois an earful, with the predictable result.

Edit: one last thing, if Savard is still at the helm, the coach does not have the same credibility with the players, and so they don't buy into his system as much.

Last edited by VirginiaMtlExpat: 01-15-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old
01-15-2004, 07:00 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
im pretty sure it waz houle who got us bulis zednik and a draft pick that ended up to be perezhogin for linden and zubrus.
thats one of my faivoret trades this team has ever done.
please someone correct me if im wrong about houle that did this trade.
It was Andre Savard not houle ... It was the 1st trade of Andre.

Houle is crap ... Yeah got us Ryder ,souray , markov ... But the team was GOOD when he came , and got worst and worst after , because of him ... we would still have made the PLAYOFFS if it wasn't for Houle ... He has ruined the franchise , period !!

Old
01-15-2004, 07:04 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
It was Andre Savard not houle ... It was the 1st trade of Andre.

Houle is crap ... Yeah got us Ryder ,souray , markov ... But the team was GOOD when he came , and got worst and worst after , because of him ... we would still have made the PLAYOFFS if it wasn't for Houle ... He has ruined the franchise , period !!
houle waz a hoe now that i know that he never made that trade i believe it more-so

thank god we gots savard whos great at development. and gainey whos awsome at player relations and off ice hockey sence. never hasty gainey will do only whats right.
pure confidence as a habs fan right now becuase of those two , the future looks bright for the boys in red white and blue :]

Old
01-15-2004, 07:04 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
It should be a thread foremost in praise of Serge Savard, as he drafted Theo. Without Theo, this team is nowhere near as competitive as it is.

Second, if Andre Savard is still at the helm, you don't have the gritty players that are allowing the other players to express themselves freely, you are not playing some of the kids that are making a difference, and boo-birds are still giving Brisebois an earful, with the predictable result.

Edit: one last thing, if Savard is still at the helm, the coach does not have the same credibility with the players, and so they don't buy into his system as much.

so true .... Houle destroyed the team ... and when théo is not on top of his game , the Habs sucks ... So don't tell me that Houle wasn't that bad ... He was one of the baddest Dg in history of the nhl LOllll ... How can you go from being a PLAYOFFS team , to be one of the WORST team in the NHL ... Seriously , stop saying that Houle was ok , please

Old
01-15-2004, 07:09 PM
sandman08

houle did one thing absolutely right though
he got us souray and with him, his wife

Old
01-16-2004, 03:08 AM
Démon Blond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
... It was the 1st trade of Andre.

Actualy, it was his second trade, he got Kilger from Edmonton for Zolthok before

Old
01-16-2004, 03:44 AM
Darz

I think Andre Savard did a good job in his short stint as GM, but will never, ever say the same thing about Houle.

Not that I disrespect Rejean Houle as a person or a former hab. I think he took the job of GM and did what he felt was the best job possible, but it came down to the fact he had no experience in the position (or any other front office position with a hockey team). He seemed to improve a little bit during his last few days on the job, but it was clear to just about everyone that he was over his head the entire time (ditto Tremblay). Mr. Houle from all accounts is a really good guy, the type you would like to sit down with, have a beer and talk hockey with. Just don't let him run your hockey team.

Old
01-16-2004, 03:46 AM
scosar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08
houle did one thing absolutely right though
he got us souray and with him, his wife

I would be willing to bet that was a Lemaire trade. It occured right after Coco came from the Devils to help out Houle and we picked up Souray and Josh DeWolfe, another defenceman that Lemaire was high on.

Old
01-16-2004, 04:05 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Exactly. He chose a few good players but his trades were awful.

Savard did a great job but Chow & McKay brought up serious questions. His ability to negotiate contracts wasn't that good either.

Gainey will slowly bring us a cup. I'm pretty sure we'll see one (or at least the finals) before 2010.
Players like Chow & McKay, Juneau, Dackell, Gilmour, Perreault are signed to buy time for our young kids to develop.
Bob Gainey just continue what Savard will do, get rid of them when the young guns are ready.

Closed Thread