HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

In praise of Andre Savard (and Rejean Houle)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2004, 12:38 PM
  #1
plafleur10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
In praise of Andre Savard (and Rejean Houle)

These guys took a lot of blame in the past, but for our current team and its success
we owe some praise to the 2 of them as the on ice product is mostly the results of their combined effort, although their predecessor, Serge Savard, also amazingly accounts for a significant portion of the core of the team:

Goalies:

Theo (Serge Savard)
Garon (Houle)

Defense:

Quintal (Houle)
Souray (Houle)
Brisebois (Serge Savard)
Rivet (Serge Savard)
Markov (Houle)
Bouillon (Houle)
Komi (Andre Savard)

Forwards:

Saku (Serge Savard)
Bulis (Andre Savard)
Ryder (Houle)
Ribs (Houle)
Zednik (Andre Savard)
Dagenais (Gainey/Andre Savard?)
Juneau (Andre Savard)
Dackell (Andre Savard)
Perreault (Andre Savard)
Sundstrom (Andre Savard)
Ward (Houle)
Kilger (Andre Savard)
Langdon (Gainey)
Begin (Gainey)

Am I correct? Just thought it was worth mentioning, plus the very rich farm system also attributable to Mssrs Houle and mainly Andre Savard.

plafleur10 is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 12:49 PM
  #2
Kirk Muller*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montréal
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
These guys took a lot of blame in the past
Please, my friend, André Savard was and is viewed as highly as jesus christ around here. Only Bob 'God' Gainey has dethroned him in the area of praise.

Kirk Muller* is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 01:41 PM
  #3
SoundsGood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller
Please, my friend, André Savard was and is viewed as highly as jesus christ around here. Only Bob 'God' Gainey has dethroned him in the area of praise.

To add to that, it is also the "little" moves BG has made that makes the dif.(Audette and Kilger)
Before that, the Habs were going down the drain again and a majority of people (in the press) were putting pressure on him and requesting a trade. BG is cool as a cat and knows his buisness; No trade! A few "little" moves and boom: His team looks great.

SoundsGood is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 01:50 PM
  #4
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,957
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Sigh, look at all of Houles mistakes, then weigh them, then realize the luck.

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 03:38 PM
  #5
Natural Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Natural Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Sigh, look at all of Houles mistakes, then weigh them, then realize the luck.
Exactly. He chose a few good players but his trades were awful.

Savard did a great job but Chow & McKay brought up serious questions. His ability to negotiate contracts wasn't that good either.

Gainey will slowly bring us a cup. I'm pretty sure we'll see one (or at least the finals) before 2010.

Natural Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
  #6
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
Quintal (Houle)
Bouillon (Houle)
Ryder (Houle)
Ribs (Houle)
Dagenais (Gainey/Andre Savard?)
Ward (Houle)
Am I correct? Just thought it was worth mentioning, plus the very rich farm system also attributable to Mssrs Houle and mainly Andre Savard.
Quintal was an Andre Savard pickup, as was Bouillon(picked off waivers). Ryder, Ribs and Ward were all houle busts until Savard implemented a development system that worked. Dagenais was strictly Gainey.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 05:50 PM
  #7
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Savard did a great job but Chow & McKay brought up serious questions.
At least those only cost us money. if it was Houle it would have cost us Theodore and koivu.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 05:54 PM
  #8
Natural Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Natural Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
At least those only cost us money. if it was Houle it would have cost us Theodore and koivu.
It's scary to think that Houle might have actually did that too!

Natural Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 06:37 PM
  #9
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
Bulis (Andre Savard)///////Zednik (Andre Savard).
im pretty sure it waz houle who got us bulis zednik and a draft pick that ended up to be perezhogin for linden and zubrus.
thats one of my faivoret trades this team has ever done.
please someone correct me if im wrong about houle that did this trade.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 06:45 PM
  #10
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
It should be a thread foremost in praise of Serge Savard, as he drafted Theo. Without Theo, this team is nowhere near as competitive as it is.

Second, if Andre Savard is still at the helm, you don't have the gritty players that are allowing the other players to express themselves freely, you are not playing some of the kids that are making a difference, and boo-birds are still giving Brisebois an earful, with the predictable result.

Edit: one last thing, if Savard is still at the helm, the coach does not have the same credibility with the players, and so they don't buy into his system as much.


Last edited by VirginiaMtlExpat: 01-15-2004 at 06:52 PM.
VirginiaMtlExpat is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 07:00 PM
  #11
HabsBaby18*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brossard
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
im pretty sure it waz houle who got us bulis zednik and a draft pick that ended up to be perezhogin for linden and zubrus.
thats one of my faivoret trades this team has ever done.
please someone correct me if im wrong about houle that did this trade.
It was Andre Savard not houle ... It was the 1st trade of Andre.


Houle is crap ... Yeah got us Ryder ,souray , markov ... But the team was GOOD when he came , and got worst and worst after , because of him ... we would still have made the PLAYOFFS if it wasn't for Houle ... He has ruined the franchise , period !!

HabsBaby18* is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 07:04 PM
  #12
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
It was Andre Savard not houle ... It was the 1st trade of Andre.


Houle is crap ... Yeah got us Ryder ,souray , markov ... But the team was GOOD when he came , and got worst and worst after , because of him ... we would still have made the PLAYOFFS if it wasn't for Houle ... He has ruined the franchise , period !!
houle waz a hoe now that i know that he never made that trade i believe it more-so

thank god we gots savard whos great at development. and gainey whos awsome at player relations and off ice hockey sence. never hasty gainey will do only whats right.
pure confidence as a habs fan right now becuase of those two , the future looks bright for the boys in red white and blue :]

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 07:04 PM
  #13
HabsBaby18*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brossard
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
It should be a thread foremost in praise of Serge Savard, as he drafted Theo. Without Theo, this team is nowhere near as competitive as it is.

Second, if Andre Savard is still at the helm, you don't have the gritty players that are allowing the other players to express themselves freely, you are not playing some of the kids that are making a difference, and boo-birds are still giving Brisebois an earful, with the predictable result.

Edit: one last thing, if Savard is still at the helm, the coach does not have the same credibility with the players, and so they don't buy into his system as much.

so true .... Houle destroyed the team ... and when théo is not on top of his game , the Habs sucks ... So don't tell me that Houle wasn't that bad ... He was one of the baddest Dg in history of the nhl LOllll ... How can you go from being a PLAYOFFS team , to be one of the WORST team in the NHL ... Seriously , stop saying that Houle was ok , please

HabsBaby18* is offline  
Old
01-15-2004, 07:09 PM
  #14
sandman08
Registered User
 
sandman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hyderabad, India
Country: India
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
houle did one thing absolutely right though
he got us souray and with him, his wife

sandman08 is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 03:08 AM
  #15
Démon Blond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Québec
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
... It was the 1st trade of Andre.

Actualy, it was his second trade, he got Kilger from Edmonton for Zolthok before

Démon Blond is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 03:44 AM
  #16
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
I think Andre Savard did a good job in his short stint as GM, but will never, ever say the same thing about Houle.

Not that I disrespect Rejean Houle as a person or a former hab. I think he took the job of GM and did what he felt was the best job possible, but it came down to the fact he had no experience in the position (or any other front office position with a hockey team). He seemed to improve a little bit during his last few days on the job, but it was clear to just about everyone that he was over his head the entire time (ditto Tremblay). Mr. Houle from all accounts is a really good guy, the type you would like to sit down with, have a beer and talk hockey with. Just don't let him run your hockey team.

Darz is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 03:46 AM
  #17
scosar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08
houle did one thing absolutely right though
he got us souray and with him, his wife

I would be willing to bet that was a Lemaire trade. It occured right after Coco came from the Devils to help out Houle and we picked up Souray and Josh DeWolfe, another defenceman that Lemaire was high on.

scosar is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 04:05 AM
  #18
Dragon
Registered User
 
Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Exactly. He chose a few good players but his trades were awful.

Savard did a great job but Chow & McKay brought up serious questions. His ability to negotiate contracts wasn't that good either.

Gainey will slowly bring us a cup. I'm pretty sure we'll see one (or at least the finals) before 2010.
Players like Chow & McKay, Juneau, Dackell, Gilmour, Perreault are signed to buy time for our young kids to develop.
Bob Gainey just continue what Savard will do, get rid of them when the young guns are ready.

Dragon is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.