HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
I wonder if Smyth even knows how much the fans are turning against him.

I'm at most of the games and it seems like Smyth can't even touch the puck anymore without people in the audience loudly mocking him.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:01 PM
timekeep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if Smytty announces his retirement this season. He's been a true warrior throughout his career so I hate to talk bad about the guy but unfortunately he's done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
He doesn't have enough pride to call it quits. Many players have just realized they don't have it anymore and quit the game, even half-way through seasons.

Smyth continues to grovel around with his big ego - I can't tell if it's because he thinks he's still a good player or because he wants the paycheque.

Brett Hull post-2005 lockout played 5 games with PHX before he realized he didn't have it anymore - he promptly quit. Now that's going out a hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This is the sense I get too. It wouldn't surprise me if the Oilers decide he is as awful as he looks and he spends extended time in the pressbox that he would say something to media about not being allowed to "contribute" or some such thing
I really hope he finally comes around and retires, but like TPH said he doesn't have the pride. He could have gone out in style but now he will be boo'd out of town. Unless he gets hurts, which wouldn't be so bad. How was he ever named a captain?

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Oh and also for those of you saying if Smyth loved this team he'd retire. Smyth has never loved this team. He left us over 500000 dollars the first time and forced Tambo into handing him a millstone contract because he threatened to sign in Calgary and the legion of Smyth fanboys pressured him into resigning this pile of trash for not just 1, but 2 years.

Ryan Smyth would look perfect in a Flames jersey right now. He should be booed every time he touches the puck from now on.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:23 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I really hope he finally comes around and retires, but like TPH said he doesn't have the pride. He could have gone out in style but now he will be boo'd out of town. Unless he gets hurts, which wouldn't be so bad. How was he ever named a captain?
Never was, never will be.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:24 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Oh and also for those of you saying if Smyth loved this team he'd retire. Smyth has never loved this team. He left us over 500000 dollars the first time and forced Tambo into handing him a millstone contract because he threatened to sign in Calgary and the legion of Smyth fanboys pressured him into resigning this pile of trash for not just 1, but 2 years.

Ryan Smyth would look perfect in a Flames jersey right now. He should be booed every time he touches the puck from now on.
Very true, don't know why a player would want to leave the Stanley Cup contending Kings to move back to Edmonton when they were the worst team in the league.

Oh Right, because he is selfish. All About Ryan.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:25 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

Alternative captain. Barf

ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:26 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Quote:

There is so much wrong with this post. get your facts straightened out

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:28 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
Whats wrong with it.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:29 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Never was, never will be.
Did I really need to say Assistant Captain.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
It's actually bang on.

I don't have nearly as much issue with Smyth's play as everyone else as long as he's in the bottom 6, but his agent is Don Meehan and the two of them have always played the game come contract time.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:38 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Quote:

ok here we go.. Smyth didn't force tambo into any contract. Tambellini signed him after he had a good first half and a bad second half. most posters on here wanted him re-signed but not neccesarily for 2 years. He took a HUGE paycut as he was overpaid before at a 6.25 cap hit. 2.25 was around what Hejduk got which everyone thought was a good comparable. It was the LA Kings that wanted to trade him to Calgary to create a bidding war to raise the return they would get in a trade as Smyth asked for a trade to a place closer to home. So the calgary bit doesn't even make sense in the post as it happened a full year before his contract came up.

And quite frankly.. If you were in the prime of your career would you prefer 5 mil or 6.25 mil? Lowe should have ponied up the 500k as 5.5 was a hometown discount as opposed to the 6.25 he got on the open market.

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Wait, where are the Smyth backers tonight? They need to reiterate their crazy jargon stating that Smyth is a skill player.
I'm still here, I don't sign on first thing in the morning, I have work to do.

I did watch the game last night, and contrary to all the scapegoaters out there, I honestly did not think Smyth was the worst player on the ice for the Oilers.

Its interesting that all the haters came out to blame Smyth - yet it was Hall who committed two terrible turnovers which turned into goals - and yet.... you blame Smyth. Why not blame Hall?

The Hall turnover to Trouba in the middle of the ice - why is that on Smyth? He was skating down the left hand wall when Hall whipped it cross ice through the middle of the ice. How is that his fault?

Let me ask you this question - do you recall Arcobello's golden chance in front of the net with a minute left?

Who got the puck to Arcobello who was standing open in front of the net?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Dabomb

Eakins said during the preseason that he didn't understand all the criticism about having Smyth on the top line. Cuz from what he saw so far, Smyth was doing great.

Hopefully after last night's game, he'll understand where all those criticisms came from. That one shift Smyth had before he took his penalty was downright awful. For now though, I'll give Eakins the benefit of the doubt since he hasn't been around too long. But if he continues to misuse Smytty, I'm gonna really question his coaching decisions.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Master Lok

For all of you who say that Smyth is too slow to contribute offensively to the Hemsky - Hall line, watch Hemsky's goal again, and tell me what Smyth was doing on the buildup before Hemsky scores.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Mint
Welcome Alexis

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Eakins said during the preseason that he didn't understand all the criticism about having Smyth on the top line. Cuz from what he saw so far, Smyth was doing great.

Hopefully after last night's game, he'll understand where all those criticisms came from. That one shift Smyth had before he took his penalty was downright awful. For now though, I'll give Eakins the benefit of the doubt since he hasn't been around too long. But if he continues to misuse Smytty, I'm gonna really question his coaching decisions.
Eakins is just as big of a moron than Krueger then. No amount of angry looks from the bench or fitness routines would change that.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:02 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

I did watch the game last night, and contrary to all the scapegoaters out there, I honestly did not think Smyth was the worst player on the ice for the Oilers.

Its interesting that all the haters came out to blame Smyth - yet it was Hall who committed two terrible turnovers which turned into goals - and yet.... you blame Smyth. Why not blame Hall?

The Hall turnover to Trouba in the middle of the ice - why is that on Smyth? He was skating down the left hand wall when Hall whipped it cross ice through the middle of the ice. How is that his fault?

Let me ask you this question - do you recall Arcobello's golden chance in front of the net with a minute left?

I recall Smyth being behind Trouba on that turnover and clearly did not have the speed to get back and check or the foresight to even anticipate that happening.

The goal is not his fault BUT he NEEDS to have a transition game and he is too slow and offensive minded for that to be possible. The only time I saw Smyth skate hard was when Hall was forcing a 2 on 1 and Smyth needed/failed to catch up to the play.

He was not even the the best player in front of the net.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I wonder if Smyth even knows how much the fans are turning against him.

I'm at most of the games and it seems like Smyth can't even touch the puck anymore without people in the audience loudly mocking him.
The guy sitting behind me last night was just blasting him. Not overtly loud, just to his girlfriend. He was trying to teach her about the game and was making lots of really good points, not just blatantly hating on him but explaining to her the mistakes he was making.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:10 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The guy sitting behind me last night was just blasting him. Not overtly loud, just to his girlfriend. He was trying to teach her about the game and was making lots of really good points, not just blatantly hating on him but explaining to her the mistakes he was making.
I feel bad for that guy, hopefully he got some last night.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

Interesting comments here.
I agree with you, Hall isn't without blame. NZ turnovers will continue to be the death of this team.
However, it's dumb luck that the two or three that Smyth turned over didn't end up in the Oilers goal.
I don't know what Smyth is thinking trying to stick handle around 2 or 3 guys in the NZ, he doesn't have the speed and he's never had the hands to do it. Also one bad NZ turnover from him and he took a hooking penalty which puts the team down.

I think Smyth still has some game in him, he's great on the boards and can dig the puck out. Top 6 minutes are behind him though, he didn't have the speed to play the transition game that Hemsky and Hall have.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:12 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Part of the issue is Smyth told Hall don't worry I'll have your back. Hall now must be looking and wondering what to do now.

Was he talking about getting those hard to reach spots in the shower?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I feel bad for that guy, hopefully he got some last night.
I know how he feels, have to do the same with my wife

Old
10-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Neatman

Quote:

On that play, Smyth should have been skating diagonally towards the center of the ice regardless. The puck is on the right side and he was the furthest man up, how is he going to give the puck-mover an option by skating along the boards on the opposite side. (That said, Hall did fire the puck across VERY quickly, but where else was he going to put it? The only Oiler that never would have gotten that pass was Smyth)

Smyth's completely lack of NHL skill and talent effect every Oiler on the ice with him. You can mention a couple decent plays he made, but he was on the ice for 17 minutes, I should hope that at the very least he managed to pull of a couple passable plays. Hall had a terrible game and he still managed to set up some great scoring opportunities and he straight up saved a sure goal...

I have Smyth's jersey hanging in my room, but I hope he never plays another NHL game for the Oilers. It's sad at this point.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
On that play, Smyth should have been skating diagonally towards the center of the ice regardless. The puck is on the right side and he was the furthest man up, how is he going to give the puck-mover an option by skating along the boards on the opposite side. (That said, Hall did fire the puck across VERY quickly, but where else was he going to put it? The only Oiler that never would have gotten that pass was Smyth)
Where else was he going to put it? Come on, you really can't put that turnover on Smyth. Let me put it another way, if there was NO winger on the sidewall, and Hall put that puck across the centre of the ice - would you still be blaming Smyth?

Its Hall's responsibility to manage the puck effectively. The simple play could have been simply lob the puck the safety, or skate the puck out of the zone, etc. There are other options.

Quote:
Smyth's completely lack of NHL skill and talent effect every Oiler on the ice with him. You can mention a couple decent plays he made, but he was on the ice for 17 minutes, I should hope that at the very least he managed to pull of a couple passable plays. Hall had a terrible game and he still managed to set up some great scoring opportunities and he straight up saved a sure goal...
Wait what? So.... the pass he made to Arcobello in the dying minute of the game - you excuse because you're suggesting that anyone playing for 17 minutes would have done something positive eventually... and yet you also accuse of him of lacking NHL skill and talent, ignoring any good plays he does make.

Can you not see how illogical this is?

Old
10-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

It breaks my heart to see Smyth struggling out there, but the level of venom and amount of outright brutal comments in this thread is disgusting.

Ol' Jase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
This is absolute horse ****. That play is ALL on Hall.

Ol' Jase is online now   Reply With Quote