HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Final Roster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2013, 01:27 PM
  #451
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
And once again I'll throw up if Boyle is on the top 3 lines. The 3rd line needs to have some semblance of offense. I hate how coaches don't trust young players at all and would rather put in the KNOWN mediocre player rather than a young player with potential at 3C. Sickening. I thought this garbage was over with Torts. This is the main reason I want Boyle gone, he is useful on the 4th line and PK but coaches use him incorrectly anyway.
You must vomit a lot.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:28 PM
  #452
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Prust is overrated because he had a career year here. Another great 4th liner. But he shouldn't be a regular third line player.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:29 PM
  #453
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Boyle has already established himself as a very good defensive forward, J.T. has shown potential, but hasn't established anything at the NHL level.
I don't agree with the bolded. He's good because of his work ethic, reach and size. And because he is good (not great) in the dot. But, you cannot be very good if you poor when you have the puck, which he is. I think his defensive prowess is overrated. Stepan is a very good defensive forward and he's not that good at draws. But his positioning, passing skills, quickness and board work is much better than BB.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:31 PM
  #454
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Prust is overrated because he had a career year here. Another great 4th liner. But he shouldn't be a regular third line player.
Where did anyone say he should be? Just because someone isn't a 1st or 2nd line player doesn't mean they don't have positive attributes that can be shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I don't agree with the bolded. He's good because of his work ethic, reach and size. And because he is good (not great) in the dot. But, you cannot be very good if you poor when you have the puck, which he is. I think his defensive prowess is overrated. Stepan is a very good defensive forward and he's not that good at draws. But his positioning, passing skills, quickness and board work is much better than BB.
So you don't agree, but then you agree?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:32 PM
  #455
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Congratulations?

Prust actually handles the puck well, especially down low and in the corners. He isn't the most skilled but he usually wins pucks.
Again compared to who? Brian Boyle? Tom Sestito? Sure.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:32 PM
  #456
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,143
vCash: 130
I don't have a problem with Boyle on the 3rd line so long as he has line mates who can finish. He keeps things simple, busts his ass, and his very responsible defensively. Maybe Boyle<->Miller-Callahan down the line.

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:32 PM
  #457
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You must vomit a lot.
I thought we all did the last year or so.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
  #458
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
That's not really true.

He led the Eagles in scoring when they won the NCAA title. He was one of the leading goal scorers on both USA WJC teams. He was one of the top scorers for the Rangers in the '11 playoffs.

Really the only disappointing "year" he's had was last year.

What Kreider has had in abundance is disappointing "shifts" and occasionally even "games". At BC there were long stretches where he would be completely invisible, gliding around the ice aimlessly in the offensive zone. He didn't do it regularly until last year.

Which is a huge concern.

I wrote this in February and I think it still applies:



I've never seen a motivated, skating Kreider not succeed. I've never seen a motivated and skating Kreider not produce.

I am not concerned about his gifts. I am very concerned about his motivation.
I think this motivation stuff is utter nonsense. You don't get to this level without an enormous sense of motivation. People love to overlook the obvious.

He has not performed well enough to secure an NHL job. It is not motivation. It is not the fault of Torts. It has nothing to do with where Mars is in the sky.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:34 PM
  #459
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Again compared to who? Brian Boyle? Tom Sestito? Sure.
If you don't think Prust controls the puck well down low, then we really have nothing left to talk about. The guy is a pain on the forecheck and wins puck battles down low consistently.

Sorry it doesn't fit your argument.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:35 PM
  #460
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
^^

The tone of people in this thread seem to think that having Prust and Boyle as a third line is ideal.

I don't think having minimal scoring from your third line is acceptable. Especially to be considered a contender.

Be that as it may, I do believe that with Cally & Hags healthy, a bottom six of

Pouliot/Zucc - Richards/Brassard - Miller
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

Is very legitimate.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:35 PM
  #461
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,143
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I don't agree with the bolded. He's good because of his work ethic, reach and size. And because he is good (not great) in the dot. But, you cannot be very good if you poor when you have the puck, which he is. I think his defensive prowess is overrated. Stepan is a very good defensive forward and he's not that good at draws. But his positioning, passing skills, quickness and board work is much better than BB.
He was .564% on face-offs last year.

Can there be a thread just for a Boyle, because it seems like every problem the Rangers ever have dwindles down to Brian Boyle here on HF.

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:36 PM
  #462
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So far it's the offensively braindead Torts and we haven't seen AV coach a real game yet. What does Boyle bring offensively? Nothing. He just slows down any line and makes it into **** offensively. We need at least some scoring threat from the 3rd line to be a good offensive team.
The braindead Torts won a Cup when he had worthy personnel. Always funny when a fan thinks they know more than an NHL coach.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:37 PM
  #463
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
You know what's funny? Look at the stats of the #3 centers for the teams who made the Finals last year.

Kelly and Kruger/Shaw(for most of last season he was their #3c). Where are their stats? How could their teams be any good!?! I don't understand!


NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:38 PM
  #464
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Where did anyone say he should be? Just because someone isn't a 1st or 2nd line player doesn't mean they don't have positive attributes that can be shown.



So you don't agree, but then you agree?
No. I think he's good defensively; not very good or great which I read alot on this board.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:38 PM
  #465
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You must vomit a lot.
Yes it's a problem.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:39 PM
  #466
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
You know what's funny? Look at the stats of the #3 centers for the teams who made the Finals last year.

Kelly and Kruger/Shaw(for most of last season he was their #3c). Where are their stats? How could their teams be any good!?! I don't understand!

Seriously, are you telling me that Chris Kelly and Andrew Shaw are not offensive threats? Cause if you are then you should stop reading stats and start watching games.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:39 PM
  #467
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,143
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The braindead Torts won a Cup when he had worthy personnel. Always funny when a fan thinks they know more than an NHL coach.
Boyle on 3rd line? Fire AV.

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
  #468
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
george (bx, ny)

With the rangers depth (or logjam) at center, do you think Richie in a bounce back season can be effective on the wing!? Also, do you think when cally and hags return to the lineup, could the rangers look to a trade to straighten out the lines (brian boyle??)

Katie Strang (2:32 PM)

We'll see. Doesn't hurt that he'll be playing with skill guys like Stepan and Nash. And yes, I think Brian Boyle could definitely be moved. Was surprised they didn't at the deadline last year, though not sure what they could have gotten as a return considering his struggles.
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49053

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
  #469
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 50
If I was to make an argument for an offensive minded third line, it would be this...

Our top two lines don't have the proven talent and scoring of other top teams in the league. Stepan, Nash, Richards, Brassard, Callahan, and Zuccarello/Hagelin are our top 6 forwards. That's not in the realm of Kane, Toews, Hossa, Saad, Sharp, Bickell, or Marchand, Kreijci, Lucic, Bergeron, Seguin, Horton (I actually think that is debatable, depending on how Richards and Zuccarello play)

So if you're looking for an argument, it's that two lines can't comprise the whole of a sufficient offense.

In my mind, it's a lot simpler than that. I think the only reason this team didn't generate enough offense last year is because the power play was poor. You get our PP to average, we have an average offense.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:42 PM
  #470
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Seriously, are you telling me that Chris Kelly and Andrew Shaw are not offensive threats? Cause if you are then you should stop reading stats and start watching games.
So what you are saying is they do a lot and accomplish little?

And I watch plenty of games...

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:43 PM
  #471
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Any line he centers will not score. We cannot afford to have two 4th lines. hence he needs to be on the 4th line so we can build a 3rd line that has scoring potential. It will not balance out. Our 4th line although good likely won't be prolific.
You must have missed the playoffs last year.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:45 PM
  #472
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,177
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You must have missed the playoffs last year.
Playoffs? They don't matter. Boyle just sucks, understand this.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:46 PM
  #473
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
The funny thing is that I don't disagree with wanting to have a more offensive 3rd line. However, there has to be some sort of balance. Boyle on the 3rd line doesn't bother me IF he plays with players like Fast and Hagelin/Miller/Callahan/MZA. Having a defensively responsible player on that line is a good thing.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
  #474
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 50
If I was coach, I would have Boyle on the 4th line wing, but I would use him both on the PK and the 2nd PP unit.

I like Boyle on the power play in this new scheme of screen-shooting that AV is using. Callahan on the first unit, Boyle on the second.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
  #475
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
If I was coach, I would have Boyle on the 4th line wing, but I would use him both on the PK and the 2nd PP unit.

I like Boyle on the power play in this new scheme of screen-shooting that AV is using. Callahan on the first unit, Boyle on the second.
I agree and I hope that is the plan. I still don't see where Pyatt fits with everyone healthy. Both Miller and Fast provide more skill and speed which fit better in this system.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.