Notices

These Guys NEVER Quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Hydroponic Harold

vCash: 500
These Guys NEVER Quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta be proud of this team ..even if you dont make the playoffs ..Sutter has left his stamp on this team ..big time .
I see a Habs -Flames Cup final in the near future .

Old
01-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Hydroponic Harold

Dammit ..i jinxed em !!!!!

Old
01-14-2004, 04:37 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
I didn't know where to put this, but this flames-caps game has been pretty damn entertaining...especially in the third

Old
01-14-2004, 04:41 PM
jacketracket*

Jagr unassisted at 19:59 of the 3rd., for the tie. Ouch!!

Sure has been entertaining.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:49 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
After going 55 minutes scoreless, the teams combine for 6 goals at the end.
What a hit by Gauthier (clean) on Jagr
Gauthier did not come back on the ice though......And Yelle left in the second with some kind of a knee injury......
Saprykin actually stepped in for Iggy and fought!
The announcers said that the Flames have the most fighting majors in the league (44)

Old
01-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
You gotta be proud of this team ..even if you dont make the playoffs ..Sutter has left his stamp on this team ..big time .

Montreal will make the final in the next few years but I don't see much chance of Calgary getting that far. Won't they have to sell off Iginla pretty soon.
Two more ridiculous penalty calls in overtime as the referees try to give the game to Calgary.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Wow, Gauthier's hit was huge. Do the Flames really have him on the market? If so, why? (Forgive the ignorance, I don't get to see the flames play very often.)

Old
01-14-2004, 05:04 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
Montreal will make the final in the next few years but I don't see much chance of Calgary getting that far. Won't they have to sell off Iginla pretty soon.
Two more ridiculous penalty calls in overtime as the referees try to give the game to Calgary.

Why do you see Montreal making the final in a few years, but not Calgary?
That D is only going to get better my friend :p

Old
01-14-2004, 05:30 PM
calder

The first OT penalty against the Caps was absolutely the right call. If he hadn't tripped down the trailing Flame, it was a clear odd man rush with the trailer high and alone in the slot... they really have to call those penalties that take away clear scoring plays no matter what the clock says. And the second call was automatic too, when a guy drops his gloves and tries to fight the other teams best player it's pretty clear he's just trying to get him off the ice.

A tie that feels like a loss, that's for sure. I was mad at the tying goal, but after seeing the replay it was just terrible luck for McLennan that it went in. To have the puck hit the outside of the net at that angle was tough for McLennan because he was hugging the post just like they teach. Ah well, I guess I should focus on the fact that when the Caps scored the first goal I was ready to turn the channel.

Old
01-14-2004, 05:35 PM
icarus

I don't see either team making the finals in the next few years, but I think the Flames chances are more or less equal with Montreal's.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:28 PM
looooob

Quote:
why do you hate Calgary so much? (not just this thread, in general)

do you really think the penalty called with 6 seconds to go and the faceoff at the Flames blueline was designed to give Calgary the game?

Old
01-14-2004, 06:32 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
why do you hate Calgary so much? (not just this thread, in general)

do you really think the penalty called with 6 seconds to go and the faceoff at the Flames blueline was designed to give Calgary the game?
He does, don't mind him, he's fairly bitter at Sutter and now the whole org. No worries though, nice little jab about Iginla though.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:43 PM
the-rasta-masta

Send a message via MSN to the-rasta-masta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
You spoke too soon! MCLENNAN YOU DORK!

Old
01-15-2004, 07:15 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Okay then...

Old
01-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by calder
The first OT penalty against the Caps was absolutely the right call. If he hadn't tripped down the trailing Flame, it was a clear odd man rush with the trailer high and alone in the slot... they really have to call those penalties that take away clear scoring plays no matter what the clock says. And the second call was automatic too, when a guy drops his gloves and tries to fight the other teams best player it's pretty clear he's just trying to get him off the ice.

A tie that feels like a loss, that's for sure. I was mad at the tying goal, but after seeing the replay it was just terrible luck for McLennan that it went in. To have the puck hit the outside of the net at that angle was tough for McLennan because he was hugging the post just like they teach. Ah well, I guess I should focus on the fact that when the Caps scored the first goal I was ready to turn the channel.

I just want the officials to decide what and what is not a penalty in overtime.
They have to take into account that a 4 on 3 man advantage is almost a guarantee of getting a goal.
I don't think that the first penalty definitely impeded a 2 on 1 but I have no problem with calling it if it was always called and if all interference, holding and tackling that prevents a player from joining the rush is called.
The recent San Jose overtime loss to Columbus was 4 minutes of clutching and tackling by Columbus followed by a slashing call against the Sharks which did not affect a scoring chance.

With regard to Calgary and Montreal's chances of winning the Cup:
Canadiens have a good chance of getting there as long as Bob Gainey is at the helm. The Flames might but I was under the impression that they won't be able to afford to keep all their players under the current CBA rules. Of course if there is a salary cap in the new CBA that would be a different matter.

I am not a fan of the system Sutter implemented in San Jose and am hoping that if it won't succeed anywhere and it will stop being used.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:41 AM
looooob

They have to take into account that a 4 on 3 man advantage is almost a guarantee of getting a goal

is it though? does anyone have the stats?

5 on 4 PPs result in goals what? about 18-19% of the time? I would guess 4 on 3 is higher, but not that much higher, let alone guaranteeing a goal

Old
01-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Flamin' Griz

I have always heard color guys comment that the 4-3 is more difficult to score on than a 5-4. One reason is because teams rarely practice for that situation.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
That was a very ordinary game for the first 55 minutes. McLennan blew the last two goals, and I definitely think it's time to play Turek. McLennan has played too many games in a row, and hes not a goalie that can put up with that for long.

That powerplay was so good. Reinprecht is a very talented player. They should've won the game on the pp in overtime, but that's ok. One point is good enough.

And also, I loved seeing Saprykin jump in there for Iginla and fight yesterday. I think it was Whitfield he fought, but none the less, good to see him get his nose dirty.

Old
01-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Hydroponic Harold

Yeah i agree ..i kind of have been pumpin MCLennans play over Turek ..but that goal to Jagr was absolutely as MOLDY as they come ..horrible .Maybe with the teams excellent play of late , it will inspire Turek to find his "A" game ..i hope so .

Old
01-16-2004, 04:19 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
That was a very ordinary game for the first 55 minutes. McLennan blew the last two goals, and I definitely think it's time to play Turek. McLennan has played too many games in a row, and hes not a goalie that can put up with that for long.
The Jagr goal was galling, especially with only 0.8 seconds left in regulation. McLennan has been the lucky beneficiary of the Sutter-Playfair defensive system. Kolzig faced 40 shots, whereas McLennan did nothing particulary outstanding. The Caps game should've been two points in the bank.

Closed Thread