HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eager waived

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2013, 03:35 PM
  #51
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
You sure about that?
Hahahaha! Love it.

Eakins said, flat out, that his lines were not a depth chart, but solely trying to make the best competitive line-up with the injury issues.

Fast forward to: "Hey Eakins why are you so dumb Smyth doesn't belong there hurr durr".

Great, GREAT fanbase.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:39 PM
  #52
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,303
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Hahahaha! Love it.

Eakins said, flat out, that his lines were not a depth chart, but solely trying to make the best competitive line-up with the injury issues.

Fast forward to: "Hey Eakins why are you so dumb Smyth doesn't belong there hurr durr".

Great, GREAT fanbase.
So how do you explain the worst player on the team getting 17 minutes of icetime?

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:40 PM
  #53
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,645
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Hahahaha! Love it.

Eakins said, flat out, that his lines were not a depth chart, but solely trying to make the best competitive line-up with the injury issues.

Fast forward to: "Hey Eakins why are you so dumb Smyth doesn't belong there hurr durr".

Great, GREAT fanbase.
I agree with Eakins tactic but that doesnt change the fact that Smyth is the slowest player in the 50 man contract limit.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  #54
elpol
Re-Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
He did bounce back. Had a solid time in the AHL, played well enough in limited minutes in preseason, ripped a goal on a damn good shot, came to camp in great shape.

I'm not an Eager fan but he's a better player than Mike Brown and more to worry about in the few moments he does come unglued.
This really is the issue imo: Eager appears to believe he is a better hockey player: He's not. And the team actually needs him to 'unglue'. No one is afraid or intimidated by the "Ben Eager - Hockey Star"...

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
  #55
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
So how do you explain the worst player on the team getting 17 minutes of icetime?
Sounds like he was playing on the first line!

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:39 PM
  #56
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
I agree with Eakins tactic but that doesnt change the fact that Smyth is the slowest player in the 50 man contract limit.
Says a lot about the roster when Smyth is his guy. Blame management.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:41 PM
  #57
Heavy Dee
Registered User
 
Heavy Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Hahahaha! Love it.

Eakins said, flat out, that his lines were not a depth chart, but solely trying to make the best competitive line-up with the injury issues.

Fast forward to: "Hey Eakins why are you so dumb Smyth doesn't belong there hurr durr".

Great, GREAT fanbase.
so you believe having Smyth play 17 mins per night with Hall (our best player) and Hemsky (arguably our most skilled player) makes our lineup the most competitive?

I guess the best coaches in the NHL who dont follow Eakins 'depth chart' philosophy have it all wrong, eh???

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:43 PM
  #58
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkanen View Post
It ain't a frickin skills competition. Eager has NO COMPETE. Period. He is a dead man walking out there. At least Brown gives a ***** out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
By not being a complete floater and actually buying into what the team is trying to do and filling a role for this club.

You really defending a player who hasn't been able to find a role on a terrible bottom 6 that has lacked toughness in the past 3 years? The guy should of been exactly what we needed but his play suggested the exact opposite.
I'm not an Eager fan at all so I find it weird I'm defending him.

My take is that Eager saw the writing on the wall last season and played real hard in OKC spent the offseason determined to do somthing about it. So he comes into camp in the best shape he's been in in years, is firing lasers out there any chance he gets, actually scores a goal on limited minutes, and its the bums rush out the door? Does anybody think Eager played poorly this preseason? Does anybody think he got much of a chance. Fact is Eager played well in OKC last season. Fact is he did everything he could with limited minutes this preseason. What more then? If the Oilers were already determined not to have him in the show then why have him occupying a spot throughout preseason?

I get that people think Mike Brown is the energizer bunny or something. But that just isn't the case and what you get with Brown is somebody that has trouble playing hockey, doesn't put fear into anybody, can't keep up to the pace, doesn't hit all that much, and quickly disappears into the landscape like he did last season as his performances became very disinterested.

My take is Eager is the most determined he's been in a long while. Why not make use of that for awhile?


Last edited by Replacement: 10-02-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:50 PM
  #59
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,185
vCash: 226
So.. no extras? Something must be going on here.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:10 PM
  #60
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not an Eager fan at all so I find it weird I'm defending him.

My take is that Eager saw the writing on the wall last season and played real hard in OKC spent the offseason determined to do somthing about it. So he comes into camp in the best shape he's been in in years, is firing lasers out there any chance he gets, actually scores a goal on limited minutes, and its the bums rush out the door? Does anybody think Eager played poorly this preseason? Does anybody think he got much of a chance. Fact is Eager played well in OKC last season. Fact is he did everything he could with limited minutes this preseason. What more then? If the Oilers were already determined not to have him in the show then why have him occupying a spot throughout preseason?

I get that people think Mike Brown is the energizer bunny or something. But that just isn't the case and what you get with Brown is somebody that has trouble playing hockey, doesn't put fear into anybody, can't keep up to the pace, doesn't hit all that much, and quickly disappears into the landscape like he did last season as his performances became very disinterested.

My take is Eager is the most determined he's been in a long while. Why not make use of that for awhile?
We can give him a gold star for all the effort he put in the preseason but the fact is, Gazdic showed more in his first NHL shift than we saw from Eager in the last two years.

At his best, Eager gives us that maybe a quarter of the time. He got outplayed badly by a kid hungry to earn an NHL spot. In no way, shape, or form can one use the word "hungry" when describing Eager.

Is Eager better than Brown? No reason to think so, but even if we pretend he is, they play different wings, so I don't see the relevance in terms of a roster spot.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:26 PM
  #61
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
so you believe having Smyth play 17 mins per night with Hall (our best player) and Hemsky (arguably our most skilled player) makes our lineup the most competitive?

I guess the best coaches in the NHL who dont follow Eakins 'depth chart' philosophy have it all wrong, eh???
See the posts about Taylor Hall having one bad game, and he suddenly has the hockey sense of dog poop.

Yeah. I don't trust the fanbase at all.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:29 PM
  #62
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So.. no extras? Something must be going on here.
lots of the "hockey folks" in edmonton are saying that this was a move to save cap space... not sure if i buy that, but i've heard/read it a few times now

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:33 PM
  #63
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 50
Can some oney answer me a quick riddle?

Why am I reading Smyth hate in seemingly every goddamned mother ****ing bull **** thread?

Thanks in advance....I think.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:35 PM
  #64
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Can some oney answer me a quick riddle?

Why am I reading Smyth hate in seemingly every goddamned mother ****ing bull **** thread?

Thanks in advance....I think.
Because that's how pissed off we are, that a terrible hockey player is in our top line.

Ask how happy any teams fans would be if a bottom 3 player played on their top line...

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:40 PM
  #65
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,931
vCash: 1026
Meh. Gazdic and Brown make him expendable

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:48 PM
  #66
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Can some oney answer me a quick riddle?

Why am I reading Smyth hate in seemingly every goddamned mother ****ing bull **** thread?

Thanks in advance....I think.
Because he's just that terrible a hockey player.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:52 PM
  #67
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,931
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Can some oney answer me a quick riddle?

Why am I reading Smyth hate in seemingly every goddamned mother ****ing bull **** thread?

Thanks in advance....I think.
Belanger's gone

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 06:01 PM
  #68
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Could be the reason they waived him today and not a day ago or a few days ago. Just trying to get that contract spot back?
Bingo. IMO, McT considers him redundant and is trying to tempt MTL into claiming him, thus avoid having yet another NHL contract in the AHL.

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 06:01 PM
  #69
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Meh. Gazdic and Brown make him expendable
Gazdik yes, Browns contribution doesn't make anybody expendable.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 06:23 PM
  #70
Musashi
Registered User
 
Musashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not an Eager fan at all so I find it weird I'm defending him.

My take is that Eager saw the writing on the wall last season and played real hard in OKC spent the offseason determined to do somthing about it. So he comes into camp in the best shape he's been in in years, is firing lasers out there any chance he gets, actually scores a goal on limited minutes, and its the bums rush out the door? Does anybody think Eager played poorly this preseason? Does anybody think he got much of a chance. Fact is Eager played well in OKC last season. Fact is he did everything he could with limited minutes this preseason. What more then? If the Oilers were already determined not to have him in the show then why have him occupying a spot throughout preseason?

I get that people think Mike Brown is the energizer bunny or something. But that just isn't the case and what you get with Brown is somebody that has trouble playing hockey, doesn't put fear into anybody, can't keep up to the pace, doesn't hit all that much, and quickly disappears into the landscape like he did last season as his performances became very disinterested.

My take is Eager is the most determined he's been in a long while. Why not make use of that for awhile?
How much did you really watch him in the AHL last year? When it comes to Eager, I need to see a lot more to believe it. Coaches and the media can talk all they want about how he "impressed" in the AHL playoffs or how he is 20 lbs lighter this year and finally the Ben Eager we thought we signed has shown up but the fact is nothing changes with this guy.

Disappointed with your analysis of Brown. If anything, most of those attributes apply directly to Eager and his compete level, who you thought was ready to contribute this year. Mike Brown looks like he is willing to do anything to be apart of this team. He's far from perfect but the effort is there and he will block shots, fight out of his weight class, and get in on the forecheck (despite what you say) where Eager is continuously avoiding the role we need him to fill and keeps successfully playing his way off this team. Not a coincidence that he is once again on the waiver wire and not a coincidence that he will most likely go unclaimed.

If you disagree, recheck your game tape. The evidence is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gazdik yes, Browns contribution doesn't make anybody expendable.
We trade for Brown, Eager gets put on waivers and sent down to the AHL. Flash forward to this year and Mike Brown has once again made the Oilers and Ben Eager is on waivers yet again. That is what is called Mike Brown making Ben Eager expendable and for good reason.

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 06:34 PM
  #71
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,425
vCash: 500
That sucks for Eager. He looked better (if not amazing) in training camp. I was hoping he'd get some games in. Do we have any extra forwards that are healthy now? There is no chance another team claims him imo. Montreal wants the big heavyweight and Eager aint that.

Seems risky should someone get sick a few hours before the game.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 06:34 PM
  #72
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,931
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gazdik yes, Browns contribution doesn't make anybody expendable.
Brown hits a lot more, fights a lot more, actually stands up for teammates, and is a bit better defensively. When it comes to 4th liners, I'll take that every day over a concussed wanna be goal scorer that doesn't use his size

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 06:46 PM
  #73
MIL OIL
Registered User
 
MIL OIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cochrane AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 184
vCash: 50
Everyone sees one good game from Gazdik and all the sudden, he's money on the 4th line. I thought he played a good game but I'm not sold on him yet. Dubnyk has one bad game and all the sudden he's a horrific goalie and we need to trade him. I'm just as passionate about my team as anyone else, and I'm sick of losing to. However lets have a bigger sample size before we go losing are s***. As for Eager I hope he gets picked up for our sake and his. Something has to be happening, whether its a player coming off IR or to clear up a contract, I got no clue. Secretly I hope NUG is getting ready to suit up. That would help alot. It would put Hall back on wing, Smyth Down the line up.

MIL OIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 06:52 PM
  #74
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
How much did you really watch him in the AHL last year? When it comes to Eager, I need to see a lot more to believe it. Coaches and the media can talk all they want about how he "impressed" in the AHL playoffs or how he is 20 lbs lighter this year and finally the Ben Eager we thought we signed has shown up but the fact is nothing changes with this guy.

Disappointed with your analysis of Brown. If anything, most of those attributes apply directly to Eager and his compete level, who you thought was ready to contribute this year. Mike Brown looks like he is willing to do anything to be apart of this team. He's far from perfect but the effort is there and he will block shots, fight out of his weight class, and get in on the forecheck (despite what you say) where Eager is continuously avoiding the role we need him to fill and keeps successfully playing his way off this team. Not a coincidence that he is once again on the waiver wire and not a coincidence that he will most likely go unclaimed.

If you disagree, recheck your game tape. The evidence is there.



We trade for Brown, Eager gets put on waivers and sent down to the AHL. Flash forward to this year and Mike Brown has once again made the Oilers and Ben Eager is on waivers yet again. That is what is called Mike Brown making Ben Eager expendable and for good reason.
Brown was more effective last night, but I think a large part of that was Gazdik. Brown tends to play a little better with other toughs. But I wonder how Eager would play with somebody like Gazdik. Eager never had much luxury here as far as being with other guys that could have his back out there. Brown likes this situation, so would Eager.

I do appreciate that you answered some questions because as I stated I don't see it, I'll look for Browns contributions but last year several games where he really became lackadaisical which I thought was very odd. Everything people are accussing Eager of I've seen Brown do. Several instances last year where Brown didn't respond when a skirmish was there, or required. Once the team started losing the energizer fell right off the map. He's supposed to the sparkplug when things aren't going right. That plug wasn't firing.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 06:53 PM
  #75
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,931
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL OIL View Post
Everyone sees one good game from Gazdik and all the sudden, he's money on the 4th line. I thought he played a good game but I'm not sold on him yet. Dubnyk has one bad game and all the sudden he's a horrific goalie and we need to trade him. I'm just as passionate about my team as anyone else, and I'm sick of losing to. However lets have a bigger sample size before we go losing are s***. As for Eager I hope he gets picked up for our sake and his. Something has to be happening, whether its a player coming off IR or to clear up a contract, I got no clue. Secretly I hope NUG is getting ready to suit up. That would help alot. It would put Hall back on wing, Smyth Down the line up.
I disagree that its a knee jerk reaction from watching Gazdic play 2 good games. I think this has a lot to do with management wanting guys that can drop the gloves for the 4th line. Brown fights, Acton fights, Gazdic fights, Smac fights... Eager had a concussion and doesn't fight

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.