Notices

Defensive depth...do they have it?

Old
11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Safir*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
When did I say to deal Bourret, Little, etc.? I'm not talking about cleaning house, I'm talking about getting a couple of players that will put us much closer than we are now to make a run. Players that we don't really need, I might add.
In two years Hossa is an UFA and Lehtonen is a RFA. Let's just say that you have to decide between one of them. Wouldn't it be much easier to make the decision, knowing that Pavelec (let's assume that he lives up to his potential) is ready for the NHL?

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Käptäin Kärppä View Post
In two years Hossa is an UFA and Lehtonen is a RFA. Let's just say that you have to decide between one of them. Wouldn't it be much easier to make the decision, knowing that Pavelec (let's assume that he lives up to his potential) is ready for the NHL?
In two years, half our prospects could be dead in the water. Wouldn't it be better to know that we traded away crap for a better chance now?

We can play the what if game as much as we want - the fact is, if you're always looking toward the future, you'll never succeed in the present. In two years, we'll likely have another situation, similar to this one, to worry about 4 years from now. You can't deal in the future - only in the present.

You can either take your shot or not - but constantly waiting for the 'right moment' - if such a thing exists - is a myth. If the team is succeeding and doing well, you go for it - or you'll end up in a perpetual winless streak, like my other team, the Flyers - and then it'll all blow up in your face because you never made those one or two moves you had to. I'm not saying this will be Atlanta's only shot at a run, but I'm thinking it's not a bad time.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 04:59 PM
ns1987

Send a message via AIM to ns1987 Send a message via MSN to ns1987 Send a message via Yahoo to ns1987
Quote:
In two years Hossa is an UFA and Lehtonen is a RFA. Let's just say that you have to decide between one of them.
Doesn't Holik's contract also run out then?

ns1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 07:09 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns1987 View Post
Poor play in goal? Hedberg's been doing fine lately, and before that Lehtonen was dominating. I wouldn't say that the goalie's the problem.
Not to be overly argumentative but we aren't settled in goal. The last 6 games (4 home, 2 road, 2-4 record) we yielded 25 goals, a GAA of 4.17 (that's over 340 for a year), our GAA must to be under 3 and closer to 2 if possible. Of the two home wins, one was a handy win over Boston 5-3 with two late goals given up, Moose was in net, the other was 5-4 over the Sens where Moose started and gave up 4 goals on 19 shots and got pulled. Lehts was perfect the rest of that game but gives up 10 on 61 shots th next two games (Bolts, Rangers), then allows 3 on 7 shots against the Stars and is pulled in favor of Moose, who eventually gets the loss after the Thrash fight back. Moose played well VS the Habs and starts tomorrow, we think.

We are not settled in goal. Our GAA for the year is 3.14 and our Goals For is 3.45 with each stat going in the wrong direction lately. Hartley may be as much of the problem as the goalies for not setting up a proper rotation from day one.

Not to lay all blame on our goaltending, we now have blueline injuries, Havelid missed time due to his mother's illness (and misses tomorrow as well), the early schedule was too heavy, our center play is unsettled to say the least, other teams now "get up" to play the Thrashers, we've been unlucky (call it what you will) by giving up goals with seconds left in a period or a game, costing points, the Thrash still seem cursed by losing weekend games at home before sellout crowds.

kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 07:11 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns1987 View Post
Doesn't Holik's contract also run out then?
Yes, he's in the middle year of a 3 year contract.

kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Käptäin Kärppä View Post
I have to agree here with Karppa. Hossa is making 6 million per right now and I for one want to see him finish his career here, which in 2 years means coughing up a little more than that I believe. The Thrashers have good, but not great, goaltending depth in Turple and Pavelec. It is nice to have both of those guys coming up and we could see a similar situation to San Jose and Anaheim in a few years. If one of them, I won't be greedy and say both (but I think they will), turns into #1 and you already have Kari, what do you do? Even in his cold spurts, Hossa helps carry the team with his all around play and makes the opposing team worry about him every shift, in his cold spurts.....Kari lets in 3 goals on 7 shots and gets pulled. Now don't get me wrong, I would want to keep all of them, but if that's not the case, right now......if I had to make my choice right now....I say Hossa knowing that Turple and Pavelec are in the system; but ask me again in 2 years.

Another problem with our defense that is going to bite the franchise in the rear after the season, Havelid is our only defenseman that started the year here, not including Coburn or Popovic, that is signed after this season. Our (I am not saying they are NHL level, but they are our) #2, 3, 4, and 7 defenseman are all UFA and our #5 and 6 (XLB and McCarthy, I thought he had a 2 year deal though) will be RFA. The Thrashers have some tough choices to make this season, not after the season. We can't go into the offseason with 6 of our top 7 defenseman as freeagents. The team will have to trade at least 2 of these guys before the end of the season in my opinion. I think that Sutton has finally proved his worth and will need to be resigned, I would like to see Vish resigned as well. XLB has no trade value right now being out with Mono. That leaves deVries, McCarthy, and Hnidy to be moved. I am fine with a combo of any of them being moved to either get a center or another top pairing defenseman.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

I am not certain on the exact CBA rules, but I'm pretty sure all our UFA dmen can be signed to extensions during the season. I'd bet on that happening with one or two of them before betting that we trade a few of them away.. Unless we continue to drop in the standings of course.

Amen evil king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Whaddagoal

Have to say, Hnidy and Coburn are so fairing A LOT better than I have expected so far throughout this injury stint with Exelby and McCarthy (and Havelid's time off).

<knocks on wood...>

I was having nightmares of defensive bungles happening whenever they're on the ice, but they've been OK. Hnidy has even picked up a few points, to boot!

The only thing now is, I'm a bit uncertain what this actually means long-term, particuarly with Coburn, for the team. If he shows more and more, are they supposed to keep him with the big boys, when McCarthy comes back? You can't have Hnidy and Coburn sitting around waiting for their chances.... what gives?

Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 02:02 AM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post
when McCarthy comes back? ?
When does Mcarthy get back?

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 05:22 PM
mrmain18

Send a message via AIM to mrmain18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post
The only thing now is, I'm a bit uncertain what this actually means long-term, particuarly with Coburn, for the team. If he shows more and more, are they supposed to keep him with the big boys, when McCarthy comes back? You can't have Hnidy and Coburn sitting around waiting for their chances.... what gives?
Where does all that leave Popovic? He's stuck as the 7th defenseman right now. When McCarthy and/or Exelby return, will Coburn go back down or will Popovic get exposed on waivers? Personally, I hope Popovic is put on waivers and is picked up somewhere else. He seems to be on Hartley's s**tlist for whatever reason. I think it would be good for him to get a chance in another organization.

mrmain18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Whaddagoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
When does Mcarthy get back?
Don't know, haven't seen many updates on him..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmain18 View Post
Where does all that leave Popovic? He's stuck as the 7th defenseman right now. When McCarthy and/or Exelby return, will Coburn go back down or will Popovic get exposed on waivers? Personally, I hope Popovic is put on waivers and is picked up somewhere else. He seems to be on Hartley's s**tlist for whatever reason. I think it would be good for him to get a chance in another organization.
That's the problem. Popovic, I imagine, will be the odd man out over Hnidy, and possibly Coburn depending on his play. Hartley, was pretty impressed with Hnidy recently, stating him the most improved player or something similar along those lines.

As Mike8 put it, it boils down to the team having too much low-end depth, and not enough top-end pairings. If Coburn continues to show some quality and consistant play, Waddell is gonna have to roll up his sleeves and deal some of these guys.

Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 07:34 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Coburn has done very well filling in. D depth is not something we need to worry about IMO.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Shameus

Sutton injured his leg in practice on Monday and will not play against the Rangers tomorrow night.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...thrashers.html

Looks like Hnidy will be paired with Havelid.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote