HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eager waived

Old
10-02-2013, 07:02 PM
MIL OIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I disagree that its a knee jerk reaction from watching Gazdic play 2 good games. I think this has a lot to do with management wanting guys that can drop the gloves for the 4th line. Brown fights, Acton fights, Gazdic fights, Smac fights... Eager had a concussion and doesn't fight
I'm not saying management jump the gun on waiving eager, but Gazdic has played 1 NHL game. Everyone thinks the perfect solution. He had a good game all give him that but I'm not penciling him in till i see more hockey.

MIL OIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Brown hits a lot more, fights a lot more, actually stands up for teammates, and is a bit better defensively. When it comes to 4th liners, I'll take that every day over a concussed wanna be goal scorer that doesn't use his size
No doubt Brown hits more than Eager. But a lot of Brown hits are pretty ordinary. Eager can past somebody pretty good.

So lets go to the concussion place. Does anybody here know how much Eager was impacted? No.

Do we know how improved Eager is? (I'll say it looked like he'd improved over the past year)

We do know that players that have had concussions can bounce back and have successful careers afterwards. We've seen this. If you still have said player, and player is playing well, why not feed him some games and minutes to see how much improvement theres been? \

We know what Brown can do, not a whole lot.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I disagree that its a knee jerk reaction from watching Gazdic play 2 good games. I think this has a lot to do with management wanting guys that can drop the gloves for the 4th line. Brown fights, Acton fights, Gazdic fights, Smac fights... Eager had a concussion and doesn't fight
What purpose is served by Brown fighting?

Heres the distinction I see. Some heavyweights legitimately scare people. What fighter would be really scared to be squaring off with Mike Brown? This is exactly the type of guy that pads your win/loss fighting record if anything.

Mike Brown has perfected the busy hook. Arm looking like a jackhammer but really usually accomplishing very little in a fight. Its the full windups and deliveries that really impact. Brown looks like he's trying to score decisions rather than really lay a beating on guys.

A lot of guys would be legitimately scared to face Gazdik in a fight. I wonder how many are intimidated by Brown.

Old
10-02-2013, 07:20 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
We can give him a gold star for all the effort he put in the preseason but the fact is, Gazdic showed more in his first NHL shift than we saw from Eager in the last two years.
Not so. I loved Gazdic's game yesterday, but Eager had a game like that about a year ago too against Toronto.
Beat the snot out of Brown and scored a goal. He was flying that night.

Anyway, Eager is better than Brown and Smac. Its a wonder anyone could think otherwise.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Not so. I loved Gazdic's game yesterday, but Eager had a game like that about a year ago too against Toronto.
Beat the snot out of Brown and scored a goal. He was flying that night.

Anyway, Eager is better than Brown and Smac. Its a wonder anyone could think otherwise.
Yeah, Eager destroyed Brown in that fight, Eager also scored a goal.

Brown had to be rescued by officials in that fight. He was smoked, down, and helpless and Eager could've just kept pummeling him.

Old
10-02-2013, 07:39 PM
shogun99

I would have likes to have Eager in the lineup against Vancouver. He seems to play his best against them.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:19 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
No real surprise here. doubt he gets claimed and goes down to OKC.

10-02-2013, 08:35 PM
tiger_80

Eager likely never gets an NHL contract again.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I would have actually liked to see what Eager could have done in the lineup before waiving him... much like Larsen whom I also would have liked to see play a few games.

Seems they want to keep the roster to a bare minimum which is why I guess they are sending extras down... but I can think of a couple players from the last game (Smyth being the most obvious) that could stand a shot at the PB and a guy like Eager sub in to see what he could do.

Hopefully Eager gets a shot on a callup because I'd like to see his size and speed in the bottom six... especially when it sounds like he's worked hard to slim down and improve his game this summer.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:46 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No doubt Brown hits more than Eager. But a lot of Brown hits are pretty ordinary. Eager can past somebody pretty good.

So lets go to the concussion place. Does anybody here know how much Eager was impacted? No.

Do we know how improved Eager is? (I'll say it looked like he'd improved over the past year)

We do know that players that have had concussions can bounce back and have successful careers afterwards. We've seen this. If you still have said player, and player is playing well, why not feed him some games and minutes to see how much improvement theres been? \

We know what Brown can do, not a whole lot.
We obviously have very different expectations out of the 4th line. I want a line that goes out and hits everything that moves, fights anyone that tries to stand up to them, and can be counted on to shut down the line they're playing against. Any offense is just a bonus. I don't see it as a requirement. Ben Eager doesn't hit much, doesn't fight, and is poor defensively. That's 3 strikes in my books, and scoring the odd goal isn't going to make up for it. Eager is a better player than last year, as I've stated in other threads, but he's not the right fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL OIL View Post
I'm not saying management jump the gun on waiving eager, but Gazdic has played 1 NHL game. Everyone thinks the perfect solution. He had a good game all give him that but I'm not penciling him in till i see more hockey.
He obviously has to prove he can repeat, but he showed a LOT more than Eager ever did, so people are obviously going to be excited

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:51 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
What purpose is served by Brown fighting?

Heres the distinction I see. Some heavyweights legitimately scare people. What fighter would be really scared to be squaring off with Mike Brown? This is exactly the type of guy that pads your win/loss fighting record if anything.

Mike Brown has perfected the busy hook. Arm looking like a jackhammer but really usually accomplishing very little in a fight. Its the full windups and deliveries that really impact. Brown looks like he's trying to score decisions rather than really lay a beating on guys.

A lot of guys would be legitimately scared to face Gazdik in a fight. I wonder how many are intimidated by Brown.
Mike Brown is a middleweight. Just because he's willing to give up 30+ pounds and fight heavyweights doesn't mean he should be. That's why I like having him and Gazdic. Let Gazdic fight the big boys that are throwing bombs, and let Brown hit everything that moves and fight the Tootoos and Dorsetts of the league. Whether or not you think one hard punch is going to hurt more than 20 smaller punches, they both get the job done when they're fighting the right guys

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:54 PM
aleshemsky83

I'm still blown away we didn't buy him out this summer, he's only a .2 million caphit but he was always going to be a .2 million caphit,

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
We obviously have very different expectations out of the 4th line. I want a line that goes out and hits everything that moves, fights anyone that tries to stand up to them, and can be counted on to shut down the line they're playing against. Any offense is just a bonus. I don't see it as a requirement. Ben Eager doesn't hit much, doesn't fight, and is poor defensively. That's 3 strikes in my books, and scoring the odd goal isn't going to make up for it. Eager is a better player than last year, as I've stated in other threads, but he's not the right fit.
Doesn't look like were going to come to any agreement. Mike Brown is a disaster defensively. Managed to be -8 on limited shifts and minutes in only 27GP last year. This occurring while playing weak minutes. He was a fantastic disaster on ice.

Eager played 62 games on a far worse Oilers squad the year before and was -1. Lets add that Eager scored 8 goals that year, almost as many as Brown has scored in his whole NHL career.

Fact of the matter is eager scoring the odd goal DID make up for it. He somehow had one of the better +/- on the whole club in 11-12.

You look for your 4th line to make a meager contribution, not get owned, and not having anything bad happen on the ice. GA regularly occurred with Brown on ice last season. I expect more of the same.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Mike Brown is a middleweight. Just because he's willing to give up 30+ pounds and fight heavyweights doesn't mean he should be. That's why I like having him and Gazdic. Let Gazdic fight the big boys that are throwing bombs, and let Brown hit everything that moves and fight the Tootoos and Dorsetts of the league. Whether or not you think one hard punch is going to hurt more than 20 smaller punches, they both get the job done when they're fighting the right guys
But this is a false economy.

There are of course no fight weight divisions in hockey, only winners and losers. you don't get brownie pts for being a smaller player in the fight game. Thus it serves no added benefit. Who cares if Brown is smaller then some other fighters? This isn't backlot in highschool its win or lose pro hockey period. At the end of the day a Ben Eager stuffs a Mike Brown into a hockey bag and kicks it all over the ice. Nobody says, oh, Brown won that fight lb/lb

Fact of the matter is you don't need to have similar weight to fight other weights. Guys go or they don't. Not unusual either to find size and weight disparity in fights.

Brown hasn't won a fight in his last half dozen tilts. If it weren't for game guys like Tootoo he wouldn't be winning many. Jebus, Jim Vandermeer, old enough to be his father, took 10 of Browns rabbit punches then decked Brown with a one punch.

People have this illusion Brown is some kind of good fighter because he speed punches. Anybody that knows how to handle that just has to wait for the moment.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-02-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old
10-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Hemsky4PM

Its about time MacT did something truly bold and moved someone like Petry to land a legit third line winger with size and grit to complement the forward group. We have depth to offset the loss of an average dman. Lander, Pitlick, Klefbom and Marincin should all be dangled to get what the team desperately needs.

Hemsky4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:18 PM
MessierII

Eager > Smyth

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:25 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I would rather see Eager on the first line than Smyth as well.

Oh well, shame, I still think Eager can be a very effective player. I think he is playing at 80% after his concussion problems. which is understandable, no team is ever going to get the old Eager.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Oilers management

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Yeah, Eager destroyed Brown in that fight, Eager also scored a goal.

Brown had to be rescued by officials in that fight. He was smoked, down, and helpless and Eager could've just kept pummeling him.
Eager can be a very effective player, the problem is that he only does so when he ****ing feels like it. This is why I value Brown more so than Eager. Night in and night out you know that Brown will hit, play physical, and fight if need be.

I've been a big backer of Eager, but I have grown tired of his MO. Play like a beat 1 game and then like a puddy cat the next 3-5.

10-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Eager can be a very effective player, the problem is that he only does so when he ****ing feels like it. This is why I value Brown more so than Eager. Night in and night out you know that Brown will hit, play physical, and fight if need be.

I've been a big backer of Eager, but I have grown tired of his MO. Play like a beat 1 game and then like a puddy cat the next 3-5.
I know Bryan, I don't disagree and you remember me being on the other side of this argument. But guys get desperate when they see their NHL livelihood slipping away and I think some club could harness that desperation with Eager. I think when eager arrrived here he thought he was a lot better player than he was and that he could just pick his spots and not really bust his butt or be intense. Lordy knows I was on Eagers case a lot for this.
Or Laraque years before him. But at least with those guys they can really fight and throw some fear into people.

Brown hits a lot, but not to too much effect. Plus that I've seen Brown completely disappear a whole lot as well last season. Brown isn't the ticket Toronto fans advertised him as. Certainly not an energy player. AS I've stated when the club was down and losing last year Brown was horrible, virtually invisible.

Now Gazdik, thats the real deal. I'll take a couple of him over Brown and Eager any day.

Old
10-03-2013, 01:34 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL OIL View Post
Everyone sees one good game from Gazdik and all the sudden, he's money on the 4th line. I thought he played a good game but I'm not sold on him yet. Dubnyk has one bad game and all the sudden he's a horrific goalie and we need to trade him. I'm just as passionate about my team as anyone else, and I'm sick of losing too. However lets have a bigger sample size before we go losing our s***. As for Eager I hope he gets picked up for our sake and his. Something has to be happening, whether its a player coming off IR or to clear up a contract, I got no clue. Secretly I hope NUG is getting ready to suit up. That would help alot. It would put Hall back on wing, Smyth Down the line up.
Common sense and reason, a breath of fresh air on here given all the crap I've been reading. People are making way too many conclusions out of 1 regular season game.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:15 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Should've been Smyth. At least Eager can still skate. Smyth is completely finished.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:25 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
the bottom line is Eager, like Jones, didn't really do anything to impress. Coaches and management want to see a guy that wants to make a difference, who goes out and makes an impact on the game. Gazdic did that in a big way. he blew their socks off at a time when they wanted the socks blown off. Its a try-out, not a tuneup and that is where Eager, Hamilton and especially Jones blew it.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 08:49 AM
SLURVE

I have mentioned this before and that is Eager will have to change his game slightly. He does not have to fight guys in every saloon. With his size and speed, he can hurt people with big hits like a Raffi Torres and as well, he plays gritty and opponents have to be aware whenever he is on the ice and that distracts them.

Since he has improved in the AHL with great praise from the coaches, lets see what he can do -post concussion. Why does this organization fear concussed players so much that they lose guys like Stoll and Peckham...

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 08:54 AM
oilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Its about time MacT did something truly bold and moved someone like Petry to land a legit third line winger with size and grit to complement the forward group. We have depth to offset the loss of an average dman. Lander, Pitlick, Klefbom and Marincin should all be dangled to get what the team desperately needs.
That's not bold that's stupid. You don't move a top 4 d man. To get a 3rd liner lol.

oilers89 is offline   Reply With Quote