HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
10-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Neatman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Where else was he going to put it? Come on, you really can't put that turnover on Smyth. Let me put it another way, if there was NO winger on the sidewall, and Hall put that puck across the centre of the ice - would you still be blaming Smyth?

Its Hall's responsibility to manage the puck effectively. The simple play could have been simply lob the puck the safety, or skate the puck out of the zone, etc. There are other options.

Wait what? So.... the pass he made to Arcobello in the dying minute of the game - you excuse because you're suggesting that anyone playing for 17 minutes would have done something positive eventually... and yet you also accuse of him of lacking NHL skill and talent, ignoring any good plays he does make.

Can you not see how illogical this is?
Let me put it this way. Hall shouldn't have thrown the puck across like that without looking. However, I think most other forwards on the Oilers would've actually been in a position to take it. They wouldn't have been floating up the opposite wing at a child-like pace. You're right though, Hall should recognize the play and realize it's a risky pass far before making it.

It isn't illogical at all. I don't see making a couple good plays over 17 minutes of gameplay as absolving a player of being a negative influence for the rest of the time . A good pass to Arcobello doesn't mean Im going to forget the 30 plays he straight up dropped through the game. You expect an NHL player to be capable of making good plays the majority of the time. Emphasizing that Smyth must have been ok because he made a couple decent plays just highlights how low the bar is set for him.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
It breaks my heart to see Smyth struggling out there, but the level of venom and amount of outright brutal comments in this thread is disgusting.
This is a necessary evil. Everyone with an ounce of hockey intellect can see that Smyth is done, has been done for two and a half years and this guys needs to get the boot. It is painfully obvious The old boys club has a new member.

ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:54 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
It breaks my heart to see Smyth struggling out there, but the level of venom and amount of outright brutal comments in this thread is disgusting.
Part of it is directed towards the culture that allows him to play 1st line minutes on a team that is supposed to be serious about making the playoffs.

Little things can be the difference between winning and losing. Playing Smyth more than other deserving players contributed to the loss - a fact that won't be lost on players who received less TOI than Smyth.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:55 PM
NugeFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenOil View Post
This is a necessary evil. Everyone with an ounce of hockey intellect can see that Smyth is done, has been done for two and a half years and this guys needs to get the boot. It is painfully obvious The old boys club has a new member.
Couldn't agree more!

NugeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
just tried to take a quick look around the league to see if there is another top six player who would garner more criticism....David Jones? That's all I have.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:00 PM
NugeFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
just tried to take a quick look around the league to see if there is another top six player who would garner more criticism....David Jones? That's all I have.
Who is David Jones? lololol

NugeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:04 PM
ales83fan

Ryan Smyth is an embarrassment on the ice. He adds no value and should have retired last year.

If we are putting friends of management on the roster, might as well through Katz on the ice. Maybe Acton Sr. can lace them up as well.

He is a terrible player. Adds nothing to the team and can no longer play at this level. Time to retire Ryan. Or else I'll start booing you pretty soon here. I realize people will jump on me for saying this because he was a hero back in the good old days - but I am a paying customer, and this is how strongly I feel about seeing Ryan anywhere near the minutes he is getting.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Part of it is directed towards the culture that allows him to play 1st line minutes on a team that is supposed to be serious about making the playoffs.

Little things can be the difference between winning and losing. Playing Smyth more than other deserving players contributed to the loss - a fact that won't be lost on players who received less TOI than Smyth.
This! Not only is he making every player on the ice worse due to his poor play and inability to anticipate a play (although he might be able to anticipate it, but is just too damn slow and useless to do anything about it, who knows). He also embodies the losing culture and lack of accountability with this club. The players will never say it out loud, but body language and subtle comments in interviews imply that Hall is not enjoying playing with Smyth, and I also highly doubt Yakupov enjoys being benched and on the third line, when Smyth makes the same mistakes more often and gets even more ice time.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
ok here we go.. Smyth didn't force tambo into any contract. Tambellini signed him after he had a good first half and a bad second half. most posters on here wanted him re-signed but not neccesarily for 2 years. He took a HUGE paycut as he was overpaid before at a 6.25 cap hit. 2.25 was around what Hejduk got which everyone thought was a good comparable. It was the LA Kings that wanted to trade him to Calgary to create a bidding war to raise the return they would get in a trade as Smyth asked for a trade to a place closer to home. So the calgary bit doesn't even make sense in the post as it happened a full year before his contract came up.

And quite frankly.. If you were in the prime of your career would you prefer 5 mil or 6.25 mil? Lowe should have ponied up the 500k as 5.5 was a hometown discount as opposed to the 6.25 he got on the open market.
Smyth even came out and said himself that he "wants to stay in Alberta and would consider signing in Calgary if an extention couldn't be negotiated with the Oilers". Also based off his performance after being taken away from RNH and Eberle, he was not a 2.25 million per season player.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:18 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Smyth has to go. i love the guy and he's a huge reason i got back into hockey after a break playing/touring in bands. but come on. sometimes you have to look in the mirror and pass the torch. he was done last year.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:33 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Ok. here is a real post...

Does the Mogilny rule affect Smyth's spot on the team? "Players 35 and older have a cap hit regardless whether or not they are on the active roster"

But it says starting in the 2nd year of the contract? So had they offerred one year contracts to Smyth he wouldnt qualify for this cap-rule.

So was Tambellini basically screwed into signing a two year Smyth contract for the sole purpose that he wouldnt be waived this year?

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Ok. here is a real post...

Does the Mogilny rule affect Smyth's spot on the team? "Players 35 and older have a cap hit regardless whether or not they are on the active roster"

But it says starting in the 2nd year of the contract? So had they offerred one year contracts to Smyth he wouldnt qualify for this cap-rule.

So was Tambellini basically screwed into signing a two year Smyth contract for the sole purpose that he wouldnt be waived this year?
This was his "he's a cookie for all the years" contract and yes the Oilers have to eat that cap hit regardless.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
This! Not only is he making every player on the ice worse due to his poor play and inability to anticipate a play (although he might be able to anticipate it, but is just too damn slow and useless to do anything about it, who knows). He also embodies the losing culture and lack of accountability with this club. The players will never say it out loud, but body language and subtle comments in interviews imply that Hall is not enjoying playing with Smyth, and I also highly doubt Yakupov enjoys being benched and on the third line, when Smyth makes the same mistakes more often and gets even more ice time.
100% Lie.

Stop making up stuff. This is a ridiculous witch hunt, now you're suggesting that you can read "body language" and "subtle comments in inverviews"? And you're reading Yakupov's mind?

Come on, what is this crap? How about providing link of these so called comments from hall's interview? Since you can read body language, care to tell me what Hall thought of Dubnyk's performance? Or what did Yakupov think about Hall's turnover in the middle of the ice? Or how about Ference's missed assignment on Frolik's second goal?

Last edited by Master Lok: 10-02-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenOil View Post
So... you're basically calling out Dallas Eakins and Craig Mactavish then? That they don't have anywhere near the "hockey intellect" that apparently you do. Riiight.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:47 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
I'm curious what makes Smyth a good, or even average player. Whatever it is I'm not seeing it. Take Old Smeller out back already.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Nail Yakupov
Russian Rocket 2.0

it's very simple
1) he doesn't have the offensive creativity to be a top 6 player
2) he doesn't have the skill to be a top 6 player
3) he doesn't have the lungs or legs to be a top 6 player
4) his style of play does not translate to the new NHL, Mactavish hinted to this when being hired as GM last March-April-ish. You have to have skill to survive in this league, long gone are the wrap arounds and half clappers from the hash mark.
5) doesn't hit
6) at least once a shift gets away with a stupid trip or a close call for a penalty

if you argue that he is an effective winger in todays nhl I simply have no patience for such stupidity. Let go of the past, it's what's holding this whole organization back for eff's sake.

Nail Yakupov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Stoneman89

I think coaching and management is worried that Smyth will start pouting again if he is relegated to the 3rd or 4th lines, or God forbid, to the press box. Can't upset the mulleted icon.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Where else was he going to put it? Come on, you really can't put that turnover on Smyth. Let me put it another way, if there was NO winger on the sidewall, and Hall put that puck across the centre of the ice - would you still be blaming Smyth?

Its Hall's responsibility to manage the puck effectively. The simple play could have been simply lob the puck the safety, or skate the puck out of the zone, etc. There are other options.

Wait what? So.... the pass he made to Arcobello in the dying minute of the game - you excuse because you're suggesting that anyone playing for 17 minutes would have done something positive eventually... and yet you also accuse of him of lacking NHL skill and talent, ignoring any good plays he does make.

Can you not see how illogical this is?
Good to see someone has resisted the gang mentality when it comes to Smyth. Keep trying to dispel all this nonsense ML.

The only agreement I have with this Smyth hate fest is that his minutes were too high. I think he should be 10-12 minutes a game.

If utilized properly he still has something to offer this team and even at 37 he is twice the player that Mike Brown is. Eakins needs to know what he has which is why I think Smyths minutes were so high last game. Eakins is in a tough spot trying to match NHL lineups with 2 AHL centres and a struggling Taylor Hall.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
So... you're basically calling out Dallas Eakins and Craig Mactavish then? That they don't have anywhere near the "hockey intellect" that apparently you do. Riiight.
If Smyth continues to get played in the top spot and his play is similar to last night, then yes, I am concerned as to what they are seeing in him. The guy was washed up last year and the last half of the year before. Not sure if some people think he has discovered the fountain of youth over the past summer or what. Playing well in the pre-season against the other teams scrubs isn't what I'd call making a nice comeback and deserving of a promotion to tons of ice time.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Good to see someone has resisted the gang mentality when it comes to Smyth. Keep trying to dispel all this nonsense ML.

The only agreement I have with this Smyth hate fest is that his minutes were too high. I think he should be 10-12 minutes a game.

If utilized properly he still has something to offer this team and even at 37 he is twice the player that Mike Brown is. Eakins needs to know what he has which is why I think Smyths minutes were so high last game. Eakins is in a tough spot trying to match NHL lineups with 2 AHL centres and a struggling Taylor Hall.
Yeah, Dallas has a funny take on toi that forwards can endure in the NHL. He vastly overestimates it actually.
One unfortunate byproduct is we will see some players overextended and some with not enough minutes. I also expect shift durations to increase under Eaikns which is not a good thing. Krueger was very consistent in expecting short energy shifts.

Dallas is quoted yesterday suggesting that Hall should be able to play 27-28mins/night. That any forward in half decent shape should be able to. I think with this Eakins is wrong and is underestimating the battle and energy required in the NHL vs lesser leagues. Hall played 23 mins last night and that was too much for him.

Some learning curves ahead but why do new guys so often try to reinvent the wheel? Maybe Eakins could take a peak at the amount of forwards in the NHL hovering around 27mins toi in regulation time games..

Smyth was overused yesterday, quite simple, and got worse as the game went along. The penalty being absolutely a result of Smyth being gassed on that particular shift.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:00 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I think everyone needs to chill out a bit... It is what it is with Smyth, we all know he isn't a top-6 player anymore but we're down two top-6 forward with injuries, Eakins is going to experiment with line combos. .. I understand the logic of pairing Hall with two vets and Eakins even experimented with Yakupov on that line a few times, it's apparent he wasn't happy with Yaks game last night and if he was playing better in Eakins eyes then I'm sure we would've seen him get more ice time with Hall.

I'm ok with Smyth on the team in a secondary role but when he's used 17 mins a night his deficiencies become pretty glaring. It's game one guys, if anyone should be getting criticized for the line combos it should be Eakins, it's pretty safe to say that Joensuu deserved more icetime yesterday than Smyth and it's up to the coach to deploy them properly.

Smyth still has value to the team whether people like it or not.

Last edited by SephF: 10-02-2013 at 09:06 PM.
SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I think everyone needs to chill out a bit... It is what it is with Smyth, we all know he isn't a top-6 player anymore but we're down two top-6 forward with injuries, Eakins is going to experiment with line combos. .. I understand the logic of pairing Hall with two vets and Eakins even experimented with Yakupov on that line a few times, it's apparent he wasn't happy with Yaks game last night and if he was playing better in Eakins eyes then I'm sure we would've seen him get more ice time with Hall.

I'm ok with Smyth on the team in a secondary role but when he's used 17 mins a night his deficiencies become pretty glaring. It's game one guys, if anyone should be getting criticized for the line combos it should be Eakins, it's pretty safe to say that Joensuu deserved more icetime yesterday than Smyth and it's up to the coach to deploy them properly.

Smyth still has value to the team whether people like it or not.
Fact of the matter is you don't win or lose with a 37yr old Ryan Smyth in the lineup but he can still play and make a contribution used properly.

Conversely, Hall, Eberle, and Yak, who should be in good form and should be carrying this club offensively did nothing good last night. A 20 yr old Smyth scoring 39 goals in a year would make any of them look silly. Maybe deserves to be said. None of these 3 have yet come close to the production Smyth had, and at a very young age. Smyth did this without the talent these guys have. But Smyth hands down had more perseverance and dedication.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:37 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Fact of the matter is you don't win or lose with a 37yr old Ryan Smyth in the lineup but he can still play and make a contribution used properly.

Conversely, Hall, Eberle, and Yak, who should be in good form and should be carrying this club offensively did nothing good last night. A 20 yr old Smyth scoring 39 goals in a year would make any of them look silly. Maybe deserves to be said. None of these 3 have yet come close to the production Smyth had, and at a very young age. Smyth did this without the talent these guys have. But Smyth hands down had more perseverance and dedication.
Make him a motivational speaker. And he can point out how obvious everything is.

Hall didn't have a great game but having Smyth on his line didn't help in the slightest.

This is a player that was outscored by offensive dynamos like Corey Potter and Brian McGrattan last year. And that was in a short year. Smyth won't be able to play every game, nor should he.

And what really gets me is he did nothing to earn top line minutes. Not a thing. This is shades of JFJ on the top line.

Yak is one of our best offensive weapons and he's getting less ice time than Smyth. It's one thing if Smyth is killing penalties but he's also getting more PP time.

It just boggles the mind.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Make him a motivational speaker. And he can point out how obvious everything is.

Hall didn't have a great game but having Smyth on his line didn't help in the slightest.

This is a player that was outscored by offensive dynamos like Corey Potter and Brian McGrattan last year. And that was in a short year. Smyth won't be able to play every game, nor should he.

And what really gets me is he did nothing to earn top line minutes. Not a thing. This is shades of JFJ on the top line.

Yak is one of our best offensive weapons and he's getting less ice time than Smyth. It's one thing if Smyth is killing penalties but he's also getting more PP time.

It just boggles the mind.
Smyth had considerable time on pk and bottomsix last season. Nobody here was adding much by way of pts in that capacity. Is that Smyth or the team having a ****** bottomsix last season. I think we both know the answer.

Yak was off last night. People spotted that. Eakins certainly spotted it and said so. Yak still doesn't have his NHL game figured out and was confused much of the night in positioning and was not supporting puck possession very well.

Smyth is being used beyond his means obviously due to injury. I don't see Smyth getting topsix with our top two Centers back and Hall back on wing. Plus Smyth, 37.7 yrs old got 18mins last night playing with some speedy linemates who are going to make most guys looks slow. Most guys would simply drop dead trying to keep up with Hall. For Smyth to expected to do that is over expectation. A forward playing 18mins is like a D playing around 23mins. You generally skate longer distances as a forward.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:49 PM
shogun99

The best way to utilize Smyth this season is to keep his ice time to under 12 minutes/game. Keep him on the 4th line and PP duty in his office. Of course this isn't until RNH and Gagner come back but I hope that's the plan for Smyth. Hall, Perron and Joensuu are above him on the LW depth chart IMO.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote