HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2013, 08:41 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
No, Price was good last night. Even Leafs fans were admitting that he was robbing them left and right. He may not have been amazing, but you're kidding yourself if that loss had ANYTHING to do with Price. The only goal out of all four he even had a chance at stopping was the Bozak breakaway goal.

I love how you're complaining about being "tired of waiting" and that everyone keeps making excuses. Buddy, that was the FIRST GAME of the season and you're already whining. It makes absolutely no sense.
No he could've stopped the first 3. The only one he actually didn't have a chance on was the 4th.

Old
10-02-2013, 08:58 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Whining? I'm being realist here and looking past my bias towards the Habs, something quite a few of the posters on this board have trouble with.

Price isn't the reason we lost yesterday. I never said he was. And you're kidding yourself if you think he played "Good". He was average. He made a couple big saves and gave two weak goals. Making a couple big saves a game is business as usual for a top-tier goaltender. Giving your daily weak goal isn't. That's something Price has to work on.

In case you forgot, Price has been in this league for 6 years now, and played up to the expectations once. Twice if you include his rookie half-season. Now I don't know about you, but that's starting to become a long wait to finally see the elite goalie that was advertised on draft day. I guess it doesn't really matter though, since we're paying him elite money, so that must make him elite, right?
Two weak goals? Seriously? Was it the 5-on-3 goal, the perfect Phaneuf shot, the bad bounce from Bouillon, or the breakaway goal? Do you know the definition of the word "weak"? This is getting absolutely ridiculous. After every loss, we have to have a conversation about Price, whether it was his fault or not.

This is an absurd conversation to have at this stage in the season... in other words, THE SECOND DAY!

Old
10-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Two weak goals? Seriously? Was it the 5-on-3 goal, the perfect Phaneuf shot, the bad bounce from Bouillon, or the breakaway goal? Do you know the definition of the word "weak"? This is getting absolutely ridiculous. After every loss, we have to have a conversation about Price, whether it was his fault or not.

This is an absurd conversation to have at this stage in the season... in other words, THE SECOND DAY!
Bozak's goal was weak, breakaway or not.

JVR's goal shouldn't have been one, 5-on-3 or not.

You seem quite emotionally involved with Price for some reason.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:11 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Bozak's goal was weak, breakaway or not.

JVR's goal shouldn't have been one, 5-on-3 or not.

You seem quite emotionally involved with Price for some reason.
Are you kidding me? A perfect pass to an open man right next to the net on a 5-on-3 is a weak goal? And a breakaway goal? Come on man, you have to be kidding me. I'm sorry, but you really don't have a clue what a "weak" goal is. These excuses are getting a little silly on your part.

I'm not emotionally involved with Price... I'm just so tired of how ridiculous it is that after every game, people have to whine about Price, no matter what, and how predictable it has become to blame him after every loss. Even after the first game of the season, where the loss was obviously not his fault, you have many people complaining about him. It's become so tiresome and really a little crazy.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Price was not the big story last night for the Habs, but I can definitely sense on this board a shift of support away from him. A couple years ago you would dare not try to point out any negative part of his performance for fear of the fanboy wrath, now I sense a swinging of the pendulum the other way. Perhaps that's as fair as it is unfair but maybe things should have been more balanced all along.

If there are strong feelings either way that Price is great or Price is awful I doubt that last night's game can be used as evidence for either side. It was what it was, the result of a team that but for 2 lines was largely unprepared for the Leafs.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Are you kidding me? A perfect pass to an open man right next to the net on a 5-on-3 is a weak goal?
Again, I don't hold that one against him too much, because he almost made the stop, and it would have been a beauty in anyone's eyes. Thing is, he was deep enough that he didn't actually have to go that far laterally. And on "typical" 5-on-3 goals, like you're trying to paint this one, puck movement allows the shooter a chance to get pucks around the goalie into open space. This one went through Price down low, which we're not exactly un-used to seeing at this point.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I'm just so tired of how ridiculous it is that after every game, people have to whine about Price, no matter what, and how predictable it has become to blame him after every loss. Even after the first game of the season, where the loss was obviously not his fault, you have many people complaining about him. It's become so tiresome and really a little crazy.
People who whine about the so-called whining about Price, and immediately equate specific criticism(s) to wider assignment of blame, are equally as tiresome.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:04 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think last night is beat to death.

The take home message is always going to be that the Habs defense from the forwards to their D, is just not good enough to be a championship team or a contender.

We will see how we look with Emelin back, Tinordi and Beaulieu developing.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
People who whine about the so-called whining about Price, and immediately equate specific criticism(s) to wider assignment of blame, are equally as tiresome.
You nailed it.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

You want to know what's Amazing? Bernier's play tonight. He could have let in 3-4 goals and it wouldn't have been his fault but he stood on his head and made saves he shouldn't have. Played well enough to keep the Leafs in the game and they eventually tied the game up and won.

Can't believe how people can't tell the difference between great and average goaltending.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:32 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Not at all. That makes absolutely no sense. Pointing out that consistent whining, especially when it is completely unwarranted, is tiresome doesn't make the person pointing it out tiresome. It's an observation. People who keep whining about the same thing, whether it makes sense in the situation or not, is borderline crazy.

I feel like I'm in a dream. It's absolutely unreal how many people are trying to jump on Price after the first game where he didn't even play poorly. This has to be the silliest thing I've ever seen. And the sad thing is, it's not even surprising. Most sane fans expected the whiny fans to come out of the woodwork and attack Price for a loss, no matter what happened.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Genesis76

Quote:
Not at all. That makes absolutely no sense. Pointing out that consistent whining, especially when it is completely unwarranted, is tiresome doesn't make someone tiresome.

I feel like I'm in a dream. It's absolutely unreal how many people are trying to jump on Price after the first game where he didn't even play poorly. This has to be the silliest thing on these boards.
I also feel like you live in a dream... some magical dream where Price is always amazing.

You said it yourself, Price played amazing yesterday.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:40 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
I also feel like you live in a dream... some magical dream where Price is always amazing.

You said it yourself, Price played amazing yesterday.
He wasn't amazing, but he was far from bad. He was actually good. But you won't admit that, you'll just whine that it's his fault whenever the Habs lose. No matter what he does. You'll always come to the same conclusion.

It's actually kind of like Einstein's definition of insane.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
You want to know what's Amazing? Bernier's play tonight. He could have let in 3-4 goals and it wouldn't have been his fault but he stood on his head and made saves he shouldn't have. Played well enough to keep the Leafs in the game and they eventually tied the game up and won.

Can't believe how people can't tell the difference between great and average goaltending.
I can't believe how people expect that type of performance night in and night out. If Carey Price needs to stand on his head for the Habs to win, then he isn't the problem, thanks for proving my point.

Price played very good yesterday and we still lost. I'm not going to fault him for not standing on his head. Don't expect Reimer or Bernier to stand on their heads every night. Reimer was very good yesterday also and didn't stand on his head and the game was close. The game could have gone either way if not for the Boullion deflection.

That both teams need to rely on goaltending says more about the make up the team, which means that attention shouldn't be accorded to those positions that are causing a reliance on goaltending and not on goaltending.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Genesis76

Quote:
Price played amazing last night. This game could have been out of hand if it weren't for him. Saying the goals that actually went in weren't all his fault is not an excuse. It's stating a fact.
Dude...

Quote:
He wasn't amazing, but he was far from bad. He was actually good. But you won't admit that, you'll just whine that it's his fault whenever the Habs lose. No matter what he does. You'll always come to the same conclusion.

It's actually kind of like Einstein's definition of insane.

Make up your mind

Old
10-02-2013, 10:47 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I can't believe how people expect that type of performance night in and night out. If Carey Price needs to stand on his head for the Habs to win, then he isn't the problem, thanks for proving my point.

Price played very good yesterday and we still lost. I'm not going to fault him for not standing on his head. Don't expect Reimer or Bernier to stand on their heads every night. Reimer was very good yesterday also and didn't stand on his head and the game was close. The game could have gone either way if not for the Boullion deflection.

That both teams need to rely on goaltending says more about the make up the team, which means that attention shouldn't be accorded to those positions that are causing a reliance on goaltending and not on goaltending.
Exactly. If there is any weakness on the Habs, it would have to be the defense. And even there, we are dealing with three injuries.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:48 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Dude...

Make up your mind and your trying to say that i'm insane?
If you read the thread, you can see that I corrected myself earlier. I did it again in the post you're quoting, and yet you're still nitpicking.

Reminds me of your criticism of Price. Nitpicking every little thing.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Every team relies on goaltending. Some nights more than others. Carey Price is totally unreliable in that he requires near perfect execution from his teammates, where other teams gain points when they are not totally on their game.

There's a saying that's true - good teams find a way to win - and that usually stems from goaltending. We don't have that edge.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Habnot

I would just like to know what the point is. Whether you like him or not, he's not going anywhere. If you are a fan of the team, you support the team. Instead Price has become the focal point for all the accumulated anger of the fair weather fans.

The team is not built to win now - we have so many gaping holes greater than Price. Last night he gave them a chance to win. Anyone focusing on Price last night really does not have a grasp on reality. As if Price needs to camouflage all the warts with this team. Small defense, top two lines to small, big contacts to players that cannot compete against big opposition, head scratching player utilization, Markov that is struggling, etc....

But it's much easier to dissect every goal that is scored and point a finger at one player. I get it.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I would just like to know what the point is. Whether you like him or not, he's not going anywhere. If you are a fan of the team, you support the team. Instead Price has become the focal point for all the accumulated anger of the fair weather fans.

The team is not built to win now - we have so many gaping holes greater than Price. Last night he gave them a chance to win. Anyone focusing on Price last night really does not have a grasp on reality. As if Price needs to camouflage all the warts with this team. Small defense, top two lines to small, big contacts to players that cannot compete against big opposition, head scratching player utilization, Markov that is struggling, etc....

But it's much easier to dissect every goal that is scored and point a finger at one player. I get it.
Price will not complete his contract here. He may be gone much earlier in fact.
This isn't about last night, it's about a terrible overall body of work.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Every team relies on goaltending. Some nights more than others. Carey Price is totally unreliable in that he requires near perfect execution from his teammates, where other teams gain points when they are not totally on their game.

There's a saying that's true - good teams find a way to win - and that usually stems from goaltending. We don't have that edge.
It's actually quite the opposite, his teammates require near perfect execution from him in order to squeeze out a win. Last night was a perfect example. Playing very good simply wasn't good enough. The team didn't tighten up, it just kept giving Toronto powerplays and high quality scoring chances. He came up big multiple times throughout the game. He even came up big on the PK which Eller scored a SH goal, bringing the game down to one. Just before that he made a huge stop on JVR. Hell habs almost tied it up at the end. Had they, it would have been because of the big saves on the late Toronto PK where Carey made 2 big saves.

Again, all your post points to is a team -the entire team, not one player- that simply isn't good enough right now. Hopefully it's just rust, or if not, hopefully when Emelin comes back he balances the Defense out, but right now, it doesn't look good. The goalies have always made our teams look better than what they were, this was the case in 09-10 with Halak and in 10-11 with Price. Even the year we finished last our goalies kept us in games we didn't belong. The tail end of last season and in this one game is showing that good goalkeeping will only get you so far. The rest of the team needs to pick up the slack. If they aren't good enough, well then that falls on the GM and coaches shoulders. When Emelin went down, not only did the goalies look bad, but the entire team did as well. We looked awful AS A TEAM. I don't know if this is because the whole team defense got thrown out of whack because it put defenders into roles they can't handle or because Therrien's system got figured out at the same time, but we looked AWFUL.

I've never seen a team give up so many high quality scoring chances in a single game. The high slot is always open. There are so many cross ice passes in our defensive zone. Players always deflect pucks successfully, never pushed out of the way. Part of it isn't having the personnel and part of it, I think, is that our system is crap. That overloading the puck carrier on the wall leaves everyone else on the ice open. When the puck squirts free, everyone trying to contain scrambles back into position only to be all disoriented, we see it so many times and it usually results in a goal.

Last edited by Andy: 10-02-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old
10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
A 'terrible' overall body of work? This is why nobody takes you seriously when it comes to Price. You just keep making 'jump the shark' posts.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:08 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
That's why this thread is a joke. So many people complaining after every loss think exactly like this.

I would understand the pessimism in this thread if Price had a bad night last night, and people want to take out their frustration. But that isn't even the case...

Old
10-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
It's actually quite the opposite, his teammates require near perfect execution from him in order to squeeze out a win. Last night was a perfect example. Playing very good simply wasn't good enough. The team didn't tighten up, it just kept giving Toronto powerplays and high quality scoring chances. He came up big multiple times throughout the game. He even came up big on the PK which Eller scored a SH goal, bringing the game down to one. Just before that he made a huge stop on JVR. Hell habs almost tied it up at the end. Had they, it would have been because of the big saves on the late Toronto PK where Carey made 2 big saves.

Again, all your post points to is a team -the entire team, not one player- that simply isn't good enough right now. Hopefully it's just rust, or if not, hopefully when Emelin comes back he balances the Defense out, but right now, it doesn't look good. The goalies have always made our teams look better than what they were, this was the case in 09-10 with Halak and in 10-11 with Price. Even the year we finished last our goalies kept us in games we didn't belong. The tail end of last season and in this one game is showing that good goalkeeping will only get you so far. The rest of the team needs to pick up the slack. If they aren't good enough, well then that falls on the GM and coaches shoulders.
Last night is an example , it's not THE example. Last year a good defensive and offensive team carried the 35th best goaltender in the league to a division crown. Everyone moans about the defense, credible pundits have identified Montreal's defense as being good and Carey Price the big question mark for this season. He needs to be better to this stage of his career he has simply lived off the promise that tomorrow he will be.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Andy

Quote:
Last night is an example , it's not THE example. Last year a good defensive and offensive team carried the 35th best goaltender in the league to a division crown. Everyone moans about the defense, credible pundits have identified Montreal's defense as being good and Carey Price the big question mark for this season. He needs to be better to this stage of his career he has simply lived off the promise that tomorrow he will be.
The team completely fell apart when Emelin got hurt. It wasn't just the goaltenders, that's the whole point. Until then Price was in Vezina talks. Around the same time, everything went south.

Closed Thread