HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2004, 10:16 PM
suped

vCash: 500
Montreal Canadiens

What can the habs be compared to in other sports in terms of franchises. Are they the Ny Yankees of hockey or the Manchester United of Hockey???? What do you think? I think they are the best organization in the league and just look at how many posts are on here compared to other nhl teams.

go habs go

Old
01-15-2004, 10:44 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
They are simply the Montreal Canadiens. The best hockey franchise ever, 24 Stanley Cups, a lot of great players have been their, this team is so important to the "Québécois". There are no way we can compare our team with another franchise from another sport. We are so unique, so different. Our roots and our history is completly different from others. The Montreal Canadiens and the province of Quebec are tied together for ever...

We are not the New York Yankees, we are not the Boston Celtics, we are not the Pittsburgh Stealers, we are not Manchester United, WE ARE THE MONTREAL CANADIENS! But we can at least say that like all those great franchises, we are the most succesful franchise in the history of our sport!

Old
01-15-2004, 10:48 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by suped
What can the habs be compared to in other sports in terms of franchises. Are they the Ny Yankees of hockey or the Manchester United of Hockey???? What do you think? I think they are the best organization in the league and just look at how many posts are on here compared to other nhl teams.

go habs go
most compareable would be the yankees both have had the most fruitfull and dominent history in there respective sports.
the habs have a certain element to them i live in edmonton and from when i waz a child till now when the habs come down here there are ussually the same amount, if not more fans chearing for the habs, ive seen habs games in calgary as well and same thing there.
but though we have many fans all over, we also have alote of other teams fans who viciously hate the habs.
i think most of that hatred comes from a dominance this team has had on those teams from the previous decades. though our last decade waz our worst in franchise history.
we've foiled many stanley cup runs by many teams in our history(and hurtfull memories last long).
also the teams that hate us the most have not won the cup in a long time so its quite natural that there soo cranky :]
TO hasnt won it since 1967, and the bruins havnt won it since 1972 if im correct.
wow that must really suck for them. this is what makes us unique as the best franchise in hockeys history we've never expierenced droughts that long.
but we are currantly experiencing our biggest one at the moment.
we've won the stanley cup every decade since the nhl waz born, and i truely hope to god we continue that trend. the legend of le' habitant will forever live.

chris a huge habs fan from edmonton

Last edited by #44_delivers: 01-15-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old
01-16-2004, 05:25 AM
mcphee

The Habs are interesting in that their history is intertwined with the culture of the province in so many ways. Political scientists can draw illusions to what the defiance of the Rocket and the Richard riot, meant in the social development of Quebec. People felt that no matter what, their guys would show the heart and determination to prevail. The fact that the team is in some way considered a national symbol in the province in some way explains the proprietary attitude often seen in the media. Then again I'm talking about stuff over my head. Obviously sports have changed across the board, the Yankees prevail because they can buy the best of everything, and they do it wisely. When Canada got their own sports network, there had to be a central base, a main property to market, hence their Toronto first slant. I can't criticize that, it's fiscal and geographical reality. The current realities of the hockey business dictate that we really can't dominate like we once did. The best you can hope for is that good management gives you the opportunity to compete every year. The difference with the Habs is that it Matters to the fans. It matters a lot. That and the links to the pride of past teams is what will keep them as a special franchise.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:06 AM
Darz

The biggest difference is the Yankees don't have a Sacred Pretzel!!!

Old
01-16-2004, 06:12 AM
GB

vCash: 370
Send a message via ICQ to GB
I'd say the closest comparison amongst other sports teams to the Habs would be FC Barcelona. Barcelona is generally seen as being the capital of Catalonia, an area which many locals have traditionally felt is different from the rest of Spain. The heroes of FC Barcelona go on to be heroes of Catalonia. Traditionally although Barcelona have not been as succesful as Real Madrid there is a certain comparison that can be drawn between Real Madrid vs Barcelona and the Habs vs the Leafs.

Closed Thread