HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Habnot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's actually quite the opposite, his teammates require near perfect execution from him in order to squeeze out a win. Last night was a perfect example. Playing very good simply wasn't good enough. The team didn't tighten up, it just kept giving Toronto powerplays and high quality scoring chances. He came up big multiple times throughout the game. He even came up big on the PK which Eller scored a SH goal, bringing the game down to one. Just before that he made a huge stop on JVR. Hell habs almost tied it up at the end. Had they, it would have been because of the big saves on the late Toronto PK where Carey made 2 big saves.

Again, all your post points to is a team -the entire team, not one player- that simply isn't good enough right now. Hopefully it's just rust, or if not, hopefully when Emelin comes back he balances the Defense out, but right now, it doesn't look good. The goalies have always made our teams look better than what they were, this was the case in 09-10 with Halak and in 10-11 with Price. Even the year we finished last our goalies kept us in games we didn't belong. The tail end of last season and in this one game is showing that good goalkeeping will only get you so far. The rest of the team needs to pick up the slack. If they aren't good enough, well then that falls on the GM and coaches shoulders. When Emelin went down, not only did the goalies look bad, but the entire team did as well. We looked awful AS A TEAM. I don't know if this is because the whole team defense got thrown out of whack because it put defenders into roles they can't handle or because Therrien's system got figured out at the same time, but we looked AWFUL.

I've never seen a team give up so many high quality scoring chances in a single game. The high slot is always open. There are so many cross ice passes in our defensive zone. Players always deflect pucks successfully, never pushed out of the way. Part of it isn't having the personnel and part of it, I think, is that our system is crap. That overloading the puck carrier on the wall leaves everyone else on the ice open. When the puck squirts free, everyone trying to contain scrambles back into position only to be all disoriented, we see it so many times and it usually results in a goal.
A++++

Old
10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
That's why this thread is a joke. So many people complaining after every loss think exactly like this.

I would understand the pessimism in this thread if Price had a bad night last night, and people want to take out their frustration. But that isn't even the case...
I think people just disagree with the many that said he played "great", "amazing" and that he had "no chance" on all goals.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:20 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I think people just disagree with the many that said he played "great", "amazing" and that he had "no chance" on all goals.
He played good, end of story. The fact you are nitpicking on one word I said, after having corrected myself, again displays lots of maturity. But please, tell us how this organization's issues revolve around Price after game one of the season!

Old
10-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
A 'terrible' overall body of work? This is why nobody takes you seriously when it comes to Price. You just keep making 'jump the shark' posts.
It's been stated before, Price has no playoff credentials, had been outside the top 20 in save percentage as much as inside, and until the team adopted the policy of hiring plugs like Auld and Budaj as backups, has been outplayed by every goaltending teammate he's gone up against.

Show me goalies with over 300 NHL games who have a 9-17 playoff record, and I'll show you one - Price.

Sorry you had to take the conversation to "nobody takes you seriously" , really I am, but I am confident that when Price doesn't outlive his 3rd goaltending coach people will begrudgingly admit (privately) that I sized this guy up correctly from the start.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Last night is an example , it's not THE example. Last year a good defensive and offensive team carried the 35th best goaltender in the league to a division crown. Everyone moans about the defense, credible pundits have identified Montreal's defense as being good and Carey Price the big question mark for this season. He needs to be better to this stage of his career he has simply lived off the promise that tomorrow he will be.
The team didnt carry Price. Outside of the last 10 games where the entire team shat the bed, Price was a huge part in why they were doing so well.

Montreal was middle of the pack defensively and piss poor on the PK.

Lets also not pretend like last year was some amazing accomplishment. It was a partial schedule which had Montreal breaking down physically and fading by game 48. If it was a full 82 games, they would have been lucky to make the playoffs.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Andy

From March to the day Emelin got hurt, the Canadiens went 11-4-1. Emelin gets hurt and they go 4-6-0. In 5 games after Emelin gets hurt habs let in 22 goals in 15 games.

The whole team fell apart after that injury, it threw the defense out of whack. Put players in roles they couldn't handle. Also didn't help that Diaz only returned April 20th. Two of the 4 wins after Emelin's injury came when Diaz returned the lineup.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:25 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
That is true they weren't all no chance but what bothers me most is how many posters don't understand that we give up almost twice or three times as many quality chances in rhe slot or high slot or on the doorstep. He made several jaw dropping saves it could have easily been 7-6 goals

Old
10-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
The team completely fell apart when Emelin got hurt. It wasn't just the goaltenders, that's the whole point. Until then Price was in Vezina talks. Around the same time, everything went south.
Emelin hurt a lot, but he's not Lidstrom. Price fell apart down the stretch it's being discussed daily by the hockey world. He literally failed to show up for some games and looked atrocious. I can't believe you don't remember this.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:29 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
That is true they weren't all no chance but what bothers me most is how many posters don't understand that we give up almost twice or three times as many quality chances in rhe slot or high slot or on the doorstep. He made several jaw dropping saves it could have easily been 7-6 goals
They weren't all no chance, that's true. But the likelihood that he stopped the Raymond goal, a bad bounce, and the snipe by Phaneuf, a perfect shot, were very low. But people are calling them "weak" goals. It's obviously been a long off-season if those are considered weak goals on Price.

I totally agree that if it weren't for him, this game would have been much worse. Even Leafs fans were saying that he was playing well, and we all know how painful it is for them to give us compliments.

Quote:
Emelin hurt a lot, but he's not Lidstrom. Price fell apart down the stretch it's being discussed daily by the hockey world. He literally failed to show up for some games and looked atrocious. I can't believe you don't remember this.
You think Price is the only one that fell apart? The entire team fell apart. From Price, to the defense, to the offense, our entire team was awful down the stretch, and the Emelin injury was the main catalyst.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Andy

Quote:
No he's not Lidstrom, but when you're quality defensive depth is thin, losing one of them hurts bad.

I can't believe how you don't remember the team not showing up either. The habs weren't losing 6-5, 7-8. They were losing 6-1, 7-3, 5-1. The team fell apart and went right into the playoffs, losing 6-1 with Budaj, not Price in goal. A great way to finish and a perfect indication that the problem was more than goaltending. Do you not remember that Pathetic Flyers game late in the season? Even the pathetic Pittsburgh game that Budaj got pulled in April?

But saying it was just Price fits your narrative better.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:33 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Do you have any tangible data?

Old
10-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Whatever. Habs out-shot the Leafs 31-20 at even strength, and out-scored them 3-2 as well. I have no doubt that the powerplays translated into more "quality chances", but it all just boiled down to a special teams loss, two goalies that played well enough to win, and two unlucky bounces.

But "jaw dropping saves" and overall grade of pretty good aside, I think it's fair to say that he missed at least two very make-able chances to be the hero last night. And that's usually the knock on Carey, as opposed to skill, composure, potential, etc.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Varlamov standing on his head. Just made a save that I was told no goalie can make.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
No he's not Lidstrom, but when you're quality defensive depth is thin, losing one of them hurts bad.

I can't believe how you don't remember the team not showing up either. The habs weren't losing 6-5, 7-8. They were losing 6-1, 7-3, 5-1. The team fell apart and went right into the playoffs, losing 6-1 with Budaj, not Price in goal. A great way to finish and a perfect indication that the problem was more than goaltending.

But saying it was just Price fits your narrative better.
More inflammatory comments, thanks Andy. Not going to go over old ground about the late season slide and playoff exit. That's documented and a matter of fact in the hockey world. Debate Bob Mackenzie and Aaron Ward etc. on that one.

Old
Andy

Quote:
Varlamov standing on his head. Just made a save that I was told no goalie can make.
Yet Fasth, who is supposed to be a great goal and had an outstanding year, let in 4 goals. Clearly anaheim needs to trade him because he's not stealing games that Anaheim is getting dominated in.

Old
JohnLennon

Quote:
Did you not watch the game?

Old
10-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Varlan

Quote:
re-watch the game there ya go...

Old
10-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Andy

Quote:
And what price did in the first of Leafs game was all routine saves right? This is so ridiculous.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:43 PM
sergejean

Price showed good signs last night but the best goalie on the ice was Reimer which to me is a concern if you consider the cap space invested in Price. I still believe in him though but my patience is running thin.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:43 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Did you not watch the game?
That's not good enough. If you're going to say this: "we give up almost twice or three times as many quality chances in rhe slot or high slot or on the doorstep" you better have some data to back it up. Don't just pull things out of your ass.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejean View Post
Price showed good signs last night but the best goalie on the ice was Reimer which to me is a concern if you consider the cap space invested in Price. I still believe in him though but my patience is running thin.
Reimer wasn't any better. They both made 34 saves and the difference maker was a fluke goal because of Boullion.

It's not like Price let in 4 of 10 shots while Reimer made 45 of 48. They had the same amount of saves for christ sakes.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Varlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejean View Post
I disagree i believe if the goalies were switched the leafs would still have won the game.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:45 PM
thewall

It must be Price fault they lost game #4 in OT... It must be Price fault that the NHL allowed the kicking motion goal that led to the Sens comeback. It must be Price fault they got blowned away 6 to 1 in game #5...

It's always Price fault when the team looses... Price is not Elite... not yet.. might never be.. i can't say.. but please stop blaming him after every damn lost.

our defense core is atrocious! Bouillon Diaz and Gorges cant clear the front of the net if their life would depend on it.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:47 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Yet Fasth, who is supposed to be a great goal and had an outstanding year, let in 4 goals. Clearly anaheim needs to trade him because he's not stealing games that Anaheim is getting dominated in.
More hyperbole?
Is Fasth paid like a top tier goalie?

Old
10-02-2013, 10:47 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
That's not good enough. If you're going to say this: "we give up almost twice or three times as many quality chances in rhe slot or high slot or on the doorstep" you better have some data to back it up. Don't just pull things out of your ass.
No seriously, if you watched the game you would have plainly seen that the Leafs had almost twice as many scoring chances in the slot as we did. Maybe more. Price shined on a lot of those opportunities, actually.

If you had watched the game, you wouldn't be asking for "tangible data" on the amount of scoring chances the Leafs had from the slot. As if this is readily available data. You would have just known the Leafs had many more.

Closed Thread