HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Realistic Destinations for Lundqvist

Old
10-01-2013, 12:00 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
I'm done here. You're not getting it.

You don't understand the NY media nor the fans of NY. If the Rangers traded Hank for anything less than someone of elite level, (like the package you're suggesting), people would literally stop showing up to games and their credibility that they have worked hard to restore since the 8 missed seasons of playoffs, would be destroyed.

I don't think you understand just how important Lundqvist is to the Rangers, both on and off the ice.

Again, he won't be traded and i can guarentee, he would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, tell Sather he was planning on leaving in the middle of the season. He is one of the most dedicated players i have ever seen and won't even discuss contract situations once the season begins.

This isn't some Dany Heatley bum we're talking about. This is a guy who's whole life has been Rangers.

Again, my last post discussing with this you, because you don't understand what is going on.

I'm not an idiot and i would never even joke about betting my life on something i knew could happen.
It's like trading Mike Richter in his prime - not going to happen unless Lundqvist asks for one

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 12:02 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh or Chicago.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Prongo
Beer

I honestly don't see him leaving New York, but if he ever did I'm sure homer would be all over him. He would probably offer him the most money and most term. Lundy is an elite goalie who has the ability to keep up his great numbers well into his 30's like other elite hall of fame goalies have. I wouldn't mind Lundy in Philly, but the thought of him on the open market with homer bidding for him scares the crap out of me. I think he would get north of 9 even maybe 9.5

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:00 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

I know anything is possible, but I believe the most likely destination for Lundqvist is exactly where he is right now. NYR will give him anything he wants, and off the top of my head I cannot think of a team who 1) needs a starting goalie and 2) can afford to get Hank.

Maybe NYI, CGY or TBL go after him, but both Tampa and Calgary have a lot of players to re-sign next summer. NYI's involvement in the Hank sweepstakes will be entirely dependent on Nabby's performance this season IMO. Colorado is another team who may be in on him, but they are in a similar position as are Tampa and Calgary with regards to needing to re-sign several players.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:22 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
It's like trading Mike Richter in his prime - not going to happen unless Lundqvist asks for one
I might rile some feathers, but having watched both guys in his prime, it is clear as day, that Lundqvist is a better goalie then Richter.

He doesn't have the cup, but Richter was a slightly above average goalie. After this year, when Lundqvist passes him for wins, he will, pretty much, undoubetdly be the greatest goalie in NYR history.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
He will retire if he can't go to NY or LA? Didn't you forget the
I don't see him leaving NYR unless they tell him to go. And if he does I think - like most 30 something Swedes - he would consider retiring before playing in Calgary or some other no place city team lacking a goalie.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:30 PM
ManofSteel55

Realistic destinations for Lundqvist? New York, and for the Olympics, Team Sweden. I doubt he leaves the Rangers as a free agent.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Cole World

vCash: 50
New York is the most realistic destination.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Poundcake
Esquire

vCash: 132
Colorado? Phoenix?

Sweden.

Poundcake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:01 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
The word trading makes the notion irrelevant. Lundqvist isn't being traded. The question is where he'd consider going if he doesn't re-sign.
Looking at the Rangers roster.... lots of question marks on the forwards. Unless Richards have a real rebound season, they're a bubble team at best, IMO. Not like there are a lot of impact youngsters waiting either.

Could come down to a 'heart or career' decision.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:08 AM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Colorado? Phoenix?

Sweden.
Phoenix already has their goalie. Colorado will definitely be in, but I don't see Hank wanting to go there over staying put.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:14 AM
DatsyukOwns
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Colorado? Phoenix?

Sweden.
Lol I am an Avs fan and I would rather throw big money down on the defense. Varly is a great goaltender no need to put out a bunch of money on a goalie when it isn't the teams biggest need

Last edited by DatsyukOwns: 10-02-2013 at 08:44 AM.
DatsyukOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:03 AM
rkhum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
If he were to leave after this season I think Philly, STL, EDM, or Minnesota.
NO way Philly.
Hank has too much loyalty to bolt to a bitter rival who arguably has less talent.
No way on STL, they have a goalie and it's not a big market, same with Minnesota.
Edmonton is rebuilding and I don't see him moving that much further from Sweden to that small a market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Pilot 76 View Post
Personally, if Henrik leaves NY it's Pittsburgh that makes the most sense. Even at the expense of one of: Neal, Kunitz, Orpik, Martin (guys who make significant money, obviously not equally valued) along with Fleury (obviously). If Pittsburgh has Lundqvist (and health) they're a dynasty.
Agreed 100%.
Pittsburgh would be like the Miami Heat, and they aren't a bitter rival like the Islanders, Devils, or Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtimer View Post
Any and every team of course would want the best goalie in the nhl on their team ( arguably the best I know, Rask Quick on same level)
Just don't see him leaving NY and only slight possible way he leaves is not to be a merc
Making max contract.... It would also have to be a team that has a legitimate chance of winning .
As it has been stated before , there are only a few teams that meet the criteria:
1. Cup contender
2. Don't already have a 1a goalie (quick Rask Crawford Howard )
3. Have the cap room and $$ to offer max contract
Perfectly said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
He's not leaving. But I'll play along.

Are you a hockey market? If no, you're out.
Is your team a cup contender? If no, you're out.
Are you a large, metropolitan city that will allow Henrik to continue the live the same lifestyle, or at least very similar, to the one he had in NY? If no, you're out.
Do you have the need for a goaltender and the cap space? you see where this is going.

Apply that to the 29 other teams in the NHL and you'd get an accurate destination of where he's gonna sign.
Again, perfect.
I would add:
Are you not a bitter rival? Because Lundqvist does like his legandary status.

Only Pittsburgh matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
I just could not imagine Pittsburgh adding another player with a cap hit of near or above 8 million.

The Flyers on the other hand have about 18 million $ in defenseman that they could get rid of or LTIR. Pronger 5 mil(retire/LTIR), Timonen 6 mil(retire), Meszaros 4 million (free agent/trade), Brayden Coburn 5 mil (trade), Grossmann 3.6 mill (trade). Plus the salary cap will probably go up by at least 4 million. So that adds up to nearly 27 million of free space. But, Giroux and Read's contracts will take about 7 million. So, now they have 20. If Couturier or Schenn have big years which is very possible, they will need at least 4.5 mil per year. So, now they have about 15. The Flyers will need to sign at least one defenseman, so that will probably cost them 5-6 million. So, now they have around 10. They will probably need to leave some room so unless they can spend 7.5 or less on Lundqvist I doubt they will even try.

In all likelihood he will stay with NYR. Without him NYR will struggle to make the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think if he legitimately decides to move on from the Rangers, the three things he'll be considering are:

1. Cup contender
2. Lifestyle
3. Money

In that order. I could see him taking a cheaper deal to play somewhere if it afforded him something close to the lifestyle he's accustomed to, along with a legitimate shot at a cup.
Perfect again.
Add

4. Are you bitter rival?

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:29 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
The word trading makes the notion irrelevant. Lundqvist isn't being traded. The question is where he'd consider going if he doesn't re-sign.
Looking at the Rangers roster.... lots of question marks on the forwards. Unless Richards have a real rebound season, they're a bubble team at best, IMO. Not like there are a lot of impact youngsters waiting either.

Could come down to a 'heart or career' decision.
First off, the Rangers have been built from the back out. they have 6 d-men capable of playing top 4 minutes and 3 capable of playing on the top pair.

Second, Rick Nash, Derek Stepan, Ryan Callahan, Zuccarello all legitimite top 6 options.

They have young guys who are on the bubble of establishing themselves as legitimite top 6 options, Hagelin, Brassard.

Then there's Richards.

Then they have a ton of young guys expected to make impacts.

while there are certainly question marks and they aren't a pittsburgh level team on offense, there focus has always been defense. And they have arguably the deepest top 6 in the NHL.....

They are not a "bubble" team, assuming everyone stays relatively healthy.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:38 PM
entropism

Realistic destinations?

I'd say Rangers at 98.5%
Islanders at 1%
Pittsburgh at 0.5%

REALISTICALLY speaking if you're as beloved a player as Henrik is in NYC, you stay or you go to a contender, and the NYR are definitely contenders. In addition, if you're a star player and take off to go to a rival, I don't care how much better they are, it's a HUGE **** you to your former team, their fans, and his reputation. It basically ruins your legacy forever, and Lundquist doesn't seem like the type of person who would want to do that.

So yeah, I think the NYR resigns him, hands down. If they screw that up, I could see him going to the Isles to stay in the area/get on an up & coming "cusp" team, or heading to the Pens to get himself an easy cup.

entropism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:42 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Get him out of the East.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:47 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
A realistic destination? The Rangers.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:52 PM
aemoreira1981

Rangers - the fact of the matter is that there is no other team with the cap space to sign Lundqvist for what it would take that does not have a goaltending issue. Pittsburgh might seem logical, but they're up against the cap and would have to move Marc-Andre Fleury and some other players. Chicago already has Corey Crawford, and LA already has Jonathan Quick.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Jules Winnfield

Pittsburgh and Philly would have to be up there if he didn't re-sign with the Rangers..

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:02 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Rangers - the fact of the matter is that there is no other team with the cap space to sign Lundqvist for what it would take that does not have a goaltending issue. Pittsburgh might seem logical, but they're up against the cap and would have to move Marc-Andre Fleury and some other players. Chicago already has Corey Crawford, and LA already has Jonathan Quick.
Pens have a bunch of cap coming off the books, we also have 2 free buyouts to use and 1 will be for Fleury. If Pens let Orpik go (which i can see), Pens can offer 8.5M for 6 years for Lundqvist. Basically...Fleury's 5M would be staying and given to Lundqvist, then you just add 3.5M of Orpik's 3.75M salary. Then we still have other cap space for other positions. Let Nisky go which free's up 2.5, keep Jokinen around on a 2 year deal. It will work itself out and we would probably have atleast 1M or more left over if managed right. It will never happen because he's staying in NY, but it's nice to dream about him in a Pens jersey. Oh man, would it be sweet!

Crosby
Malkin
Lundqvist
Letang
Neal

66-30-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
NO way Philly.
Hank has too much loyalty to bolt to a bitter rival who arguably has less talent.
No way on STL, they have a goalie and it's not a big market, same with Minnesota.
Edmonton is rebuilding and I don't see him moving that much further from Sweden to that small a market.

Agreed 100%.
Pittsburgh would be like the Miami Heat, and they aren't a bitter rival like the Islanders, Devils, or Flyers.

Perfectly said.

Again, perfect.
I would add:
Are you not a bitter rival? Because Lundqvist does like his legandary status.

Only Pittsburgh matches.

Perfect again.
Add

4. Are you bitter rival?
As a Rangers fan, I hate Pittsburgh more than any of these teams these days.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
They are not a "bubble" team, assuming everyone stays relatively healthy.
Well, other than having a healthy bit of respect for the defensive solidity of the Rangers top4 D-men - and of course Lundqvist himself, I just disagree with you. With the caveat that a Brad Richards in Dallas form would do a great deal to change the outlook.

Either way, when I say 'bubble', then I mean one among many teams in contention for playoff spots. Rangers got in a new coach which will likely mean gelling takes some time, and they didn't improve roster wise this offseason IMO, while the bottom teams from last season in the East did so quite a bit except for the Devils (Kovalchuk out hurts). Then Detroit and Columbus got added at the expense of Winnipeg, and that only toughens the task in the East.

Another way of stating my point is to say that I think it is easier to find teams that are decidedly better than the Rangers than to find teams the Rangers are decidedly better than.

Boston, Pens, Detroit and Caps IMO are pretty much obvious as teams with better rosters and potential.
I would also put Ottawa ahead personally what with being healthy and having some young guys ready to take the next step, and then I don't see why the Rangers should be considered above teams like Toronto, Columbus, Islanders and Montreal when looking at the roster. All of those four teams are clearly on an upward trajectory and did about as well as the Rangers or better last season.

That's 10 teams including the Rangers. There's Philly somewhere in that mix also, problems on D but a wicked forward group once they get settled in. Clearly Tampa, Carolina and Florida have a lot to prove after last year, but I think those will be among the most improved teams in the league this season. Have no read on Buffalo or New Jersey, but I'd imagine they'll struggle.

To me the Rangers right now is more about Lundqvist and name recognition. But no games have been played... you could be proven right, sure.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:31 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Well, other than having a healthy bit of respect for the defensive solidity of the Rangers top4 D-men - and of course Lundqvist himself, I just disagree with you. With the caveat that a Brad Richards in Dallas form would do a great deal to change the outlook.

Either way, when I say 'bubble', then I mean one among many teams in contention for playoff spots. Rangers got in a new coach which will likely mean gelling takes some time, and they didn't improve roster wise this offseason IMO, while the bottom teams from last season in the East did so quite a bit except for the Devils (Kovalchuk out hurts). Then Detroit and Columbus got added at the expense of Winnipeg, and that only toughens the task in the East.

Another way of stating my point is to say that I think it is easier to find teams that are decidedly better than the Rangers than to find teams the Rangers are decidedly better than.

Boston, Pens, Detroit and Caps IMO are pretty much obvious as teams with better rosters and potential.
I would also put Ottawa ahead personally what with being healthy and having some young guys ready to take the next step, and then I don't see why the Rangers should be considered above teams like Toronto, Columbus, Islanders and Montreal when looking at the roster. All of those four teams are clearly on an upward trajectory and did about as well as the Rangers or better last season.

That's 10 teams including the Rangers. There's Philly somewhere in that mix also, problems on D but a wicked forward group once they get settled in. Clearly Tampa, Carolina and Florida have a lot to prove after last year, but I think those will be among the most improved teams in the league this season. Have no read on Buffalo or New Jersey, but I'd imagine they'll struggle.

To me the Rangers right now is more about Lundqvist and name recognition. But no games have been played... you could be proven right, sure.

You basically listed a slew of teams who finished below the Rangers last year. On top of that, the Rangers added youth from their prospect pool, improved their depth (Pouliot and Moore are better than Powe and some of the other guys who got regular minutes last year), and the Rangers are healthier than last year--Del Zotto played a chunk of last season with a hernia, Callahan and Hagelin were playing with shoulder injuries, etc. Plus Brassard and Moore are still relatively new additions to the team.

I also would NEVER state that the Caps are a better team than the Rangers. Aside from the fact that the Rangers have been the team to knock the Caps out of the playoffs the last couple of years, I think the Caps are going to lose some of their lustre now that they are in a real conference. That team will either toughen up quickly, or they will implode. Just my opinion.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:37 AM
smoneil

Quote:
I might rile some feathers, but having watched both guys in his prime, it is clear as day, that Lundqvist is a better goalie then Richter.

He doesn't have the cup, but Richter was a slightly above average goalie. After this year, when Lundqvist passes him for wins, he will, pretty much, undoubetdly be the greatest goalie in NYR history.
I have a hard time believing that you saw Richter in his prime if you call him a "slightly above average goalie." While I agree that Lundqvist is the better of the two, I think there are two important things to keep in mind:

1- You cite wins as your go-to stat. While I love Lundy, he would still be quite a ways away from Richter's wins total if his SOW were counted as ties (like they were for Richter). For win totals to mean anything in a comparison between the King and Richter, Henrik has to shatter that total, not just pass it.

2- In my view, Lundqvist is the better of the two strictly because of his consistency. Richter's top level of play was, in my opinion, better than Lundqvist's. The difference is that we see Lundqvist's god-mode (quite a bit) more often than we saw Richter's. That, and only that, is the difference to me. If Richter didn't have the misfortune of playing all of his career in the era of legendary goalkeepers (three or four of the best goaltenders of all time played during the same time), Richter would have had a lot more hardware.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:06 AM
couture23

Buffalo to troll the entire NHL.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote