HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

October 2, 2013| vs. Toronto. Johnny B. GOODe; BAD to the Bone; UGLY Truth

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2013, 11:14 PM
  #126
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
But it's not all on Laviolette, unless he explicitly tells the team to spread out while entering the zone to minimize the chance of a pass getting through to you, or to pass from the half-boards through 2 defenders to a standing-still teammate who isn't even facing the net.
Ok so they don't want to listen to him.....why? Recurring theme....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:14 PM
  #127
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Incidentally, that's the best time to drink post-loss booze, too. I personally save the good stuff for wins. I drown my sorrows after losses with the garbage bag of homemade prison wine I have fermenting behind the water heater.
I'm getting out the shoe lacquer and loaf of bread as I type this.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:16 PM
  #128
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
But it's not all on Laviolette, unless he explicitly tells the team to spread out while entering the zone to minimize the chance of a pass getting through to you, or to pass from the half-boards through 2 defenders to a standing-still teammate who isn't even facing the net.
Oh definitely not all on him, I agree... but the lack of adjustment and same issues season after season are a problem. Why can't lavi get a full 60 from the team?

As you said in your article, our passing out of the D zone looked much better... so I think we will be better this year.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:16 PM
  #129
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,769
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
But it's not all on Laviolette, unless he explicitly tells the team to spread out while entering the zone to minimize the chance of a pass getting through to you, or to pass from the half-boards through 2 defenders to a standing-still teammate who isn't even facing the net.
I imagine he doesn't explicitly tell them to do those things, but i do wish he would tell them not to do those things.

Another favorite is when they try to support each other by being three feet apart skating into a herd of opposition players along the boards. The puck carrier won't even bother trying to use his teammate as a safety valve when he's pressured, they seem to hope it'll drift to him anyways when they meet resistance. It never does.

At least while exiting the D zone they've realized they can use both sides of the ice if one side looks difficult.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:21 PM
  #130
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
I was satisfied with the Flyers overall level of play. Generated more pressure throughout the night, just couldn't quite find the target.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:25 PM
  #131
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I imagine he doesn't explicitly tell them to do those things, but i do wish he would tell them not to do those things.

Another favorite is when they try to support each other by being three feet apart skating into a herd of opposition players along the boards. The puck carrier won't even bother trying to use his teammate as a safety valve when he's pressured, they seem to hope it'll drift to him anyways when they meet resistance. It never does.

At least while exiting the D zone they've realized they can use both sides of the ice if one side looks difficult.
Definitely, the responsibility for Groundhog Day losses is with the coach, and if nothing else for tuning him out. But one would think with the amount of offensive creativity in this roster, somebody would be able to open some space for a decent shot on net.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:35 PM
  #132
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Definitely, the responsibility for Groundhog Day losses is with the coach, and if nothing else for tuning him out. But one would think with the amount of offensive creativity in this roster, somebody would be able to open some space for a decent shot on net.
We have creators...just not enough finishers...

I just don't know anymore....between Lavi with his coaching and Holmgren with his personnel moves you got to wonder if the two are just out of sync with what should be the direction/plan of the team and the right mix of players to execute the plan...

New Jersey has no offense but it just seems they'll be competitive this year and more consistent than the Flyers b/c they have a pretty seamless system especially now that Schneider is in the fold...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:46 PM
  #133
OgbertTheNerd
what
 
OgbertTheNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,038
vCash: 500
They progressively got worse as the game went on. The first period was great, second was ok, third was terrible. All in all though, I thought they played decently; not as horrendous as they looked in some of the preseason games.

Good - Read, Lecavalier, overall defensive play was much better

Bad - Powerplay

Ugly - Trying to come back from a one goal deficit

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:14 AM
  #134
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,695
vCash: 50
seems to be the same old Flyers. If they dont get anything from the PP they struggle to find ways to score goals.
At least they traded for Jonathan Bern........... oh wait nmind. who wants a unproven goalie with a lot of talent anyway.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:17 AM
  #135
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,769
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
seems to be the same old Flyers. If they dont get anything from the PP they struggle to find ways to score goals.
At least they traded for Jonathan Bern........... oh wait nmind. who wants a unproven goalie with a lot of talent anyway.
The Flyers do love their goaltending projects, re-treads, and castaways. Leighton, Emery twice, Mason, Bob was one that worked out but ended up going away...Biron, Boucher.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:27 AM
  #136
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,695
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Flyers do love their goaltending projects, re-treads, and castaways. Leighton, Emery twice, Mason, Bob was one that worked out but ended up going away...Biron, Boucher.
I guess we will never really know what the cost was for Bernier. For Schneider I guess the Canucks wanted Couturier.
didnt watch the game but from what I am reading Mason was not the problem. I for one have wanted Bernier here for quite awhile. I have watched this kid quite a bit and he is the real deal. unproven? probably. But I would have rolled the dice on whatever LA was asking for outside of Couturier.

EDIT: I know its only one game and its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to panic but I think the fanbase has every right to be concerned that the trend continues. lack of 5 on 5 play. if they dont get a couple of PPG they likely are going to lose.
I am hoping that chemistry wise they need some time to mesh. Hopefully by the end of the month(hopefully sooner) they begin to sort it out and get on the same page.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:28 AM
  #137
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,769
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I guess we will never really know what the cost was for Bernier. For Schneider I guess the Canucks wanted Couturier.
didnt watch the game but from what I am reading Mason was not the problem. I for one have wanted Bernier here for quite awhile. I have watched this kid quite a bit and he is the real deal. unproven? probably. But I would have rolled the dice on whatever LA was asking for outside of Couturier.
Mason wasn't the issue. I just don't have faith in him yet.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:35 AM
  #138
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,695
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Mason wasn't the issue. I just don't have faith in him yet.
oh either do I. Right now I have little faith in our goaltending. They are both flawed. But if this team cant find a way to start scoring goals then it doesnt matter who is in goal. In fact thats puts even more unfair pressure on the goaltending if this team struggles to light the lamp.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:18 AM
  #139
BillDineen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,654
vCash: 500
Bernier was the difference. Start was excellent. They could have easily been up 3 or 4 nil against other goalies.

Meszaros should not be on the 2nd PP unit and their "let G lag and take puck into zone on PP" strategy is not great because once he is in he doesn't know where to dump it and just tries to beat everyone.

B. Schenn with the puck on his stick for a millisecond, great, B. Schenn on the puck generally, weak. Voracek needs to be with G. Couturier did not look great.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:36 AM
  #140
feedingschennzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
The good: Vinny, Streit, Giroux, Read

The bad: mez, couturier, Schenn after the first period

The ugly: Simmonds, scratching Laughton, talbot on the 3rd line

All things considered I'm a little bit more optimistic after this game than I expected. Streit looked really sharp, having another steady puck mover really helps the transition game. Vinny was excellent, would love to see him maintain that level of play.

Giroux looked good, but he is surrounded whenever he touches the puck.

Meszaros has to go if we can get anything for him, I don't like him on the #2 PP unit and would rather give Gus a chance.

Overall after tonight I believe that homer did a really good job improving this roster in the offseason. At the same time I think Lavy has to go, I think the players are tired of him and I think the team will have much higher postseason odds if they have a coaching change

feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:12 AM
  #141
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,149
vCash: 500
Eh... I fell asleep half way through the second period, what happened? By that time, Vinny and G looked awesome and we dominated the rink

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:25 AM
  #142
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer
 
OzFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
I thought we looked quite dangerous and controlled most of this game despite the loss. New additions Vinny, Mason and Streit looked pretty good.

I think that the Flyers will be an exciting team to watch this season!!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:05 AM
  #143
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I was satisfied with the Flyers overall level of play. Generated more pressure throughout the night, just couldn't quite find the target.
EXACTLY ! We had a ton of great quality scoring chances, give Bernier a lot of credit for a remarkable effort............Blaming Lavy, Homer, Mez, etc is sheer ignorant nonsense. All in all we had plenty of shots, and Mason played well, we just did not get the W .Next game many of those shots may go in and we roll, such are the ebbs and flows of hockey.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:23 AM
  #144
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
I am probably in the minority, but last night was more concerning to me than the preseason. This team dominated until Toronto pushed back. Then they wilted. Didn't generate any prime scoring chances 5 on 5 and couldn't do anything once Toronto went up by a goal. Bernier made a ton of saves, but hardly any of them were spectacular. That is either a sign of a great positional effort by Bernier, which it was, or the flyers taking a lot of outside shots and not getting to rebounds, which also was the case.

I hate to be a sky is falling fan after one game, but what I saw last night 5 on 5 was a lot of what I saw last year. For an offensively aggressive team, they don't generate a lot of prime scoring chance at even strength. So either it's Laviolette system or the forward group is overrated. Hopefully I am wrong and it was all Bernier.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:40 AM
  #145
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
EXACTLY ! We had a ton of great quality scoring chances, give Bernier a lot of credit for a remarkable effort............Blaming Lavy, Homer, Mez, etc is sheer ignorant nonsense. All in all we had plenty of shots, and Mason played well, we just did not get the W .Next game many of those shots may go in and we roll, such are the ebbs and flows of hockey.
I admire your optimism but to say the criticisms of Lavi and Homer are ignorant nonsense is truly ignorant...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:40 AM
  #146
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
EXACTLY ! We had a ton of great quality scoring chances, give Bernier a lot of credit for a remarkable effort............Blaming Lavy, Homer, Mez, etc is sheer ignorant nonsense. All in all we had plenty of shots, and Mason played well, we just did not get the W .Next game many of those shots may go in and we roll, such are the ebbs and flows of hockey.
Sheer ignorant nonsense would be looking at only one game and ignoring the past games.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:42 AM
  #147
Flyerss
Registered User
 
Flyerss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,552
vCash: 224

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:42 AM
  #148
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I am probably in the minority, but last night was more concerning to me than the preseason. This team dominated until Toronto pushed back. Then they wilted. Didn't generate any prime scoring chances 5 on 5 and couldn't do anything once Toronto went up by a goal. Bernier made a ton of saves, but hardly any of them were spectacular. That is either a sign of a great positional effort by Bernier, which it was, or the flyers taking a lot of outside shots and not getting to rebounds, which also was the case.

I hate to be a sky is falling fan after one game, but what I saw last night 5 on 5 was a lot of what I saw last year. For an offensively aggressive team, they don't generate a lot of prime scoring chance at even strength. So either it's Laviolette system or the forward group is overrated. Hopefully I am wrong and it was all Bernier.
I thought the same thing...the Leafs were a totally different team in the 3rd and they were able to impose their will and we looked lost and frustrated like when the Devils impose their game on the Flyers with no response..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:47 AM
  #149
Flyerss
Registered User
 
Flyerss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,552
vCash: 224
faceoffs: Couturier won 72.7% (8 of 11) and Hall won only 27.3% (3 of 11)

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:27 AM
  #150
MASE THE ACE
Registered User
 
MASE THE ACE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Good: Mason,
Bad: simmonds Pentaly Shot
Ugly: Giroux, powerplay

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.