HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Gazette: Souray says Habs should sign Markov first

Old
11-27-2006, 05:49 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Get rid of Rivet and Janne, and keep Souray/Markov.

Rivet doesn't bring anything more than a journeyman tough dman can bring, at a more expensive salary than he should get.

Markov and Souray are impact players.
I think we should keep Markov and get rid of Souray and Rivet and go to the UFA market for an upgrade. If that doesn't exist...

keep Markov and Rivet and sign a good two-way defenseman. Move Dandenault up to the fourth line and work Emelin in (unless he needs AHL time).

No way would I pay $4-5+ million on Souray. I like his shot and his size, but unless he has a partner who can dig him out, his defense is very ordinary and sometimes poor and if you are a top 4 defenseman on a Cup winning team, you should be able to move the puck effectively. He can't.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Marchy79

Souray is 100% right...

Markov is an integral piece to this club... Souray is too... But Markov is the man here

In order of importance to this club, IMO the breakdown is like this:

Markov
Komisarek
Souray
Rivet
Dandenault
Bouillon
Streit
Niinima.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
What it does say itsn't even news. Who on Saku's green earth doesn't know Markov is better than Souray yet?

I won't even comment on the genius that said we should trade all our UFA's to start rebuilding the team. Been there, done that.
Hmm. To knuckles, you listen.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
If I remember correctly, the year that Sourray went to the all-star game, he just had a big slump in the 2nd half of the year, I'm not saying that it will happen but don't it's not because that he's been playing like a 5M$ dman that it will stay like this all year.

And yes Rivet will stay here, cause he always has been here and I see him getting around 2,75-3M for like 3 to 4 years, long terms = less money and Rivet isn't injury prone or anything so it's kinda safe to sign him long term, and if Sourray and Rivet are gone, we will have some leadership problems.
Your post makes more sense.
We know Rivet isn't flashy but plays his position well and Souray isn't the best defensive guy but has a cannon of a shot. The bottom line is, they bring balance to our team and right now Komi isn't going to bring the leadership these two guys offer. Other than his big hits he is still learning the game.
Fan opinion aside, we are doing fairly well this season and Carbo sees Rivet as being his top pairing for PK, second on PP, one of the leaders in minutes played and top leadership guy...so that being said, how do you convince him he's only worth 1.55, behind Bouillon and Dandenault.
Souray, can't play defense but is leading our three highest paid forwards in goals scored...how do you tell him he is only worth what a few posters say he's worth.

Markimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I keep hoping that someho, the habs will keep sheldon... but higgins will likely get a big raise as well, there's only so much money to around

I just cant see souray and markov both being able to stay.

Aso for his post all star slump in 04, it all seemed to root back to his reaggrevation of his wrist injury.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 07:05 PM
GoodKiwi

Honestly, I won't cry too much if Sheldon goes as far as Andrei and Craig stay.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Biggsy

Its a shame if he leaves goin to miss his boomer of a shot in the line i hope he stays

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

can you imagine our PP without sheldon?

Old
11-27-2006, 07:41 PM
emb24*

souray and kostitsyn for
jack johnson and craig conroy

you heard it here first

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
souray and kostitsyn for

you heard it here first
Are you a Kings fan? (just curious!).

I'm a huuuge fan of JJ, so...still not sure!!

I just know that we need Souray for the playoffs.
But, J.Johnson would look great in a Habs jersey for 7 to 10 years (or more!)...
----------------- ------------

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 08:00 PM
lilooet*

Quote:
souray and kostitsyn for

you heard it here first
While I would do that trade in a minute, it's basically Kostitsyn for Johnson, and no one in their right mind would do that. They would be unloading Conroy (whom I think is waay overrated) and we'd be unloading a UFA (who would probably, but not for sure, sign with them at the end of season - there are other teams in California...).

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 08:27 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilooet View Post
While I would do that trade in a minute, it's basically Kostitsyn for Johnson, and no one in their right mind would do that. They would be unloading Conroy (whom I think is waay overrated) and we'd be unloading a UFA (who would probably, but not for sure, sign with them at the end of season - there are other teams in California...).
i'm a habfan. the deal is possible. habs want a blue chipper for a D man who will score 20+ goals and fight for LA. if kubina is worth 5 mill a year, so is souray. so we give up a blue chipper too in kos and get a center who can play with kovy..

this deal is possible...
what did LA giveu p for JJ?
is souray as good as him?

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 08:44 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
Actually, no. Even if he's in LA, if its his wife's turn to have custody, Souray won't get to see her. He can be in the same city all week, but if its not his week by law, then he doesn't get to see her. Thats it. So... weather he lives in LA or not, he'll see his daughter when its his turn. The only difference is that from Mtl, the daughter flies to Montreal, and in LA the mother probably just drives her to Souray's house. Not a big difference, certainly not worth being the deciding factor in one's career.
Has to be looked at in terms of where hes living as to the custody arrangement. Im sure its set up that way because of the distance between MTL and LA. He cant see her when he wants because of that distance. Theres a difference between a hour car drive and a 3-4 hour planetrip. It would be a guarantee that if he signedin either LA or Anaheim he would see his daughter alot more often than if hes playing in MTL. I highly doubt the mom would say no you cant see her until its your time especially if hes living in the same town.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 08:55 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
i'm a habfan. the deal is possible. habs want a blue chipper for a D man who will score 20+ goals and fight for LA. if kubina is worth 5 mill a year, so is souray. so we give up a blue chipper too in kos and get a center who can play with kovy..

this deal is possible...
what did LA giveu p for JJ?
is souray as good as him?
JJ has been compared to a young Chelios. From what I've seen of him, that's a bit of a stretch. He's undersized, but is quick and mean.

Right now Souray is the better player of course (maybe not in his own zone though, but we can't know that).

I like Conroy too. He's a glue guy (something they're always calling Johnson) and would solve our second line center problem. He'd probably get Kovy going too. very clever player, but on the old side now.

I would pull two triggers if offered this deal. LA would have to be certain they are going to re-sign Souray and have to be very high on Kosty. I would throw in Samsonov too, just so they have someone to carry the luggage to LA.

I still think Kostitsyn is gonna score a lot of NHL goals (but I'm seeing shades of Pavel Brendl in his skating - but he's no Brendl...he gets involved).

Old
11-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Shabutie

Is it just me or did Souray not sound like he wanted to leave at all...It seems to me like he either thinks that Montreal won't want to re-sign him (won't have the cap room cuz they rather re-sign Rivet (affordable) and Markov). Or he thinks he's going to get traded. It doesn't sound at all like he wants to be traded or wants to resign elsewhere. It just seems like he's saying that he knows he might have to sign elsewhere or might get traded.

At least that's the way I read it.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 09:03 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
JJ has been compared to a young Chelios. From what I've seen of him, that's a bit of a stretch. He's undersized, but is quick and mean.

Right now Souray is the better player of course (maybe not in his own zone though, but we can't know that).

I like Conroy too. He's a glue guy (something they're always calling Johnson) and would solve our second line center problem. He'd probably get Kovy going too. very clever player, but on the old side now.

I would pull two triggers if offered this deal. LA would have to be certain they are going to re-sign Souray and have to be very high on Kosty. I would throw in Samsonov too, just so they have someone to carry the luggage to LA.

I still think Kostitsyn is gonna score a lot of NHL goals (but I'm seeing shades of Pavel Brendl in his skating - but he's no Brendl...he gets involved).
Young Chelios? If thats the case we should get him and then when he is at his peak we should trade him for Denis Savard. I know he is retired but he is as useful o the ice as when we made the trade on June 29, 1990.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 09:05 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Is it just me or did Souray not sound like he wanted to leave at all...It seems to me like he either thinks that Montreal won't want to re-sign him (won't have the cap room cuz they rather re-sign Rivet (affordable) and Markov). Or he thinks he's going to get traded. It doesn't sound at all like he wants to be traded or wants to resign elsewhere. It just seems like he's saying that he knows he might have to sign elsewhere or might get traded.

At least that's the way I read it.
Agreed! I think everyone realizes this, but then there would be nothing really to discuss about so most people pretend it is more then it really is.

RIVET at 3.5 million. YIKES

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 09:06 PM
tinyzombies

That could be why Markov is so grumpy this year. Maybe they're talking contract and playing hardball?

Souray definitely sounds like he thinks this is his last year here imo.

Old
11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
Young Chelios? If thats the case we should get him and then when he is at his peak we should trade him for Denis Savard. I know he is retired but he is as useful o the ice as when we made the trade on June 29, 1990.

Or we could trade him for Martin St-Louis in another five years. We'd have to wait until he wins the Norris Trophy and sleeps with Boivin's wife first though.

(the sarcasm is hurting my liver)

Old
11-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Live Forever

Isn't it a possibility that BG clears up cap space elsewhere to make space for his 3 UFAS? If you ask me, Niinimaa will be as good as gone and if the Samsonov experiment doesn't go to plan well one of either Sammy or Kovy could possibly be replaced by a cheaper Kosty next year. Abby is expendable if you ask me. Granted Higgins and Ryder get a raise, I still think there should be room to accomodate new salaries for these 3 d-men. It is just a matter of whether Gainey thinks he can build a winner around these 3 d-men. What have they won with Montreal so far? Is this Gainey's thinking? Would he rather go with an inexpensive Mark Streit to replace Souray? JP Cote to replace Rivet? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Shabutie

As much as I like Rivet (as a Person) I don't think he deserves to be resigned. I mean he doesn't fill a need that Cote or Emelin couldn't. I'm sure that Gainey will do whatever he can to re-sign both Souray and Markov.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 11:57 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
As much as I like Rivet (as a Person) I don't think he deserves to be resigned. I mean he doesn't fill a need that Cote or Emelin couldn't. I'm sure that Gainey will do whatever he can to re-sign both Souray and Markov.
I'm afraid we are lowballing what it takes to get a Cup because of the Carolina defense. It worries me. That was Buffalo's Cup, just like 2004 was Philly's Cup if not for injuries.

Cote is no Rivet. Emelin I don't know. But we can't pay Rivet 3.5 mil. And we can't pay Souray 5 mil. It can't happen if we want to have enough money for a Cup. That's the reality.

Because even if we do resign those two, we STILL need an upgrade on D.

Old
11-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I'm afraid we are lowballing what it takes to get a Cup because of the Carolina defense. It worries me. That was Buffalo's Cup, just like 2004 was Philly's Cup if not for injuries.

Cote is no Rivet. Emelin I don't know. But we can't pay Rivet 3.5 mil. And we can't pay Souray 5 mil. It can't happen if we want to have enough money for a Cup. That's the reality.

Because even if we do resign those two, we STILL need an upgrade on D.
For once I agree with you about Rivet. I can't see Cote or Emelin replacing what he brings. Maybe Emelin will bring more offence (I doubt it, at least for a few seasons, if ever he even comes over), but there's no way he can replace the leadership and stability. And Cote, well, he's an 8th or 9th defenceman at this point, someone who would slip unnoticed through waivers.

Anyway, I also agree that 3.5 million is too much for Rivet. If some team is willing to offer that much, then good for Craig. I'm thinking something along the lines of 2.5 for a 3 year deal, maybe 10 million over 5 years so he can retire a Hab.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 03:41 AM
phil666

well from what i gather souray is stating the obvious. Basically he's saying he'd be willing to play for less here, but at the same time it won't mean he won't sign somewhere close to his daughter, which is perfectly understandable. I don't care what Souray does, I won't ever boo him, one of my all-time fav habs. I'm sure as hell going to be happy if he stays, but if he leaves I'll understand perfectly and you can't hate him for his reasons, and the salary cap isn't helping either. I don't see why he would take 1,5m less and not get closer to his daughter if he has the chance to.

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 03:58 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil666 View Post
well from what i gather souray is stating the obvious. Basically he's saying he'd be willing to play for less here, but at the same time it won't mean he won't sign somewhere close to his daughter, which is perfectly understandable. I don't care what Souray does, I won't ever boo him, one of my all-time fav habs. I'm sure as hell going to be happy if he stays, but if he leaves I'll understand perfectly and you can't hate him for his reasons, and the salary cap isn't helping either. I don't see why he would take 1,5m less and not get closer to his daughter if he has the chance to.
From his comments, I gather that souray is very loyal. He sounds grateful to the organization for sticking with him through tough times.

At the same rate, family come first no matter what. So if a California team offers the same amount of money as the habs are, isn't it a no brainer that he will leave montreal?