HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GameCenter Live vs NHL Center Ice

Old
09-29-2013, 12:42 PM
the fife flyer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirtbolt View Post
thanks for clearing that up, really appreciate it. so basically if you would likely have other means of watching the game, it wont be on GCL. Yeah not too many tv stations over here with Ranger games
If Premier Sports (UK) are showing a game, regardless if you subscribe to that channel or not, it will be blacked out for you.
Premier Sports show quite a lot of Rangers games so I missed a few last season. That`s why I ditched GCL.
This also includes the play-offs I think.

So.....the more we are on Premier, the less we`re on GCL.

the fife flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:28 PM
district9
w/e

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fife flyer View Post
If Premier Sports (UK) are showing a game, regardless if you subscribe to that channel or not, it will be blacked out for you.
Premier Sports show quite a lot of Rangers games so I missed a few last season. That`s why I ditched GCL.
This also includes the play-offs I think.

So.....the more we are on Premier, the less we`re on GCL.
This happened to me last season and is one of the reasons why I wouldn't get GCL again. Last year I spent a month in the UK and missed a number of games because they were on Premier, a station I obviously wasn't getting in hotels or on my poor friends' apartments in London

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Malarowski

Anybody knowledgeable how to get the Center Ice preview? I have FiOS and had no luck by calling them to get any closer.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Levitate

In previous years it was just free to everyone with a TV service that offered those channels. You didn't have to sign up, you just go to the channels and you'd get the games. Then once the preview was over, the channels would say "you have to subscribe to this service"

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
In previous years it was just free to everyone with a TV service that offered those channels. You didn't have to sign up, you just go to the channels and you'd get the games. Then once the preview was over, the channels would say "you have to subscribe to this service"
Hm, maybe it's just a matter of there not being anything. Does Center Ice have any content outside of live games?

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Levitate

No, just live games.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Just testing it out, new modem was put in Monday and the streams are pretty much flawless at this point. Going to just run it to see if I'll have any problems, but I'm pretty sure that solved it.

Clown Fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Does ************* have all AHL games live? Debating picking it up.

10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Does ************* have all AHL games live? Debating picking it up.
Yes. Live, as well as on-demand.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:48 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Awesome thanks

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:01 PM
TGWL

Anybody else having a problem updating the gamecenter app on PS3?

TGWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:21 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Game Center Live question. Are the blackout rules the same as NHL CI? 1997-98 was the first year I bought NHL CI from DIRECTV. Since 05-06,I have had NHL CI through digital cable. It sucks. All of the channels are in standard definition. They show one feed. I have a split for the internet and TV but the signal is so weak from Cablevision that the picture pixelates on only the sports in demand channels. When I connect the main cable wire into the box,it works fine. I changed the splitter and the cables. Same issue. You tell them and they have no idea what you're talking about. They don't listen. Same thing happened with the internet a few years ago. They add more people to the service and don't increase the signal. In demand blackouts the TSN intermissions. Its ridiculous. They run the We'll Be Right Back screen and annoying song for 15 minutes. All of the feeds on GCL are in high def? I will hook my macbook pro up to my TV and that's it.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:30 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
All of the feeds on GCL are in HD. As long as you have decent bandwidth, you'll get a very good picture. I never had any consistent problems with stuttering or slowdown, either. Again though, it's dependent on your hookup.

Blackout rules are the same--if it's on NBC, NBCS or NHLN, then you're not getting it.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Levitate

there are programs like unblockus that let you get around the blackouts though. I've never used them...usually don't have a problem with blackouts and I don't have time to watch much more than the Rangers game. You do have to pay for unblockus though...there might be some other VPN type solutions that you don't have to pay for

This is technically against the rules though, but I've never heard of anyone getting "caught"

Old
10-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Championship*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Game Center Live question. Are the blackout rules the same as NHL CI? 1997-98 was the first year I bought NHL CI from DIRECTV. Since 05-06,I have had NHL CI through digital cable. It sucks. All of the channels are in standard definition. They show one feed. I have a split for the internet and TV but the signal is so weak from Cablevision that the picture pixelates on only the sports in demand channels. When I connect the main cable wire into the box,it works fine. I changed the splitter and the cables. Same issue. You tell them and they have no idea what you're talking about. They don't listen. Same thing happened with the internet a few years ago. They add more people to the service and don't increase the signal. In demand blackouts the TSN intermissions. Its ridiculous. They run the We'll Be Right Back screen and annoying song for 15 minutes. All of the feeds on GCL are in high def? I will hook my macbook pro up to my TV and that's it.
No blackouts with *************.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:05 AM
NYRSchrute217

Posted this in the Sabres on MSG thread but I'll ask again here: do users in Syracuse and Albany get the Rangers through GameCenter Live or are they blacked out?

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:11 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWL View Post
Anybody else having a problem updating the gamecenter app on PS3?
Yup. The app won't load for me at all on PS3.

I actually ended up getting both GCL and hockey streams. Last night, I'd have to give GCL > Hockey Streams as the video was crisper and more consistent (particularly on the Detroit game) and didn't drop to low res like the hockey stream feed did. It's only one day, though.

(edit) streaming both through a Roku 3

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:40 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I had previously been a CI subscriber when I lived in MN via Comcast, but tried our GCL last year. I am looking to try ************* this year to follow the Whale/other NHL games, but I was very happy with GCL.

It's expensive, yes. But the quality blows Comcast CI out of the water. So easy to watch on your TV via gaming console or on your phone. If I was out of market for the Rangers I'd be tempted to just go GCL again.

Also last year when I had GCL I used unblockus to get around the blackouts and it worked flawlessly. Didn't really need to since I got the Rangers anyway but I was curious, and it allowed me to watch them on phone/tablet if I wanted to for whatever reason.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:44 AM
SixGoalieSystem

Was very happy with GCL. My one issue was the delay. It's usually a minute or two behind the broadcast which means you need to stay away from twitter, chatrooms and stay a couple of pages behind the GDT.

I'll probably get it again this year.

SixGoalieSystem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 09:05 PM
WYFR
StanleyCupSabres

Me and a few friends want to buy a Eason viewing service this year. We could split GCL or Centre Ice easily, but my question is can we split *************? I've been told ************* runs off one IP address so if we're splitting the service should we avoid *************?

WYFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 03:01 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYFR View Post
Me and a few friends want to buy a Eason viewing service this year. We could split GCL or Centre Ice easily, but my question is can we split *************? I've been told ************* runs off one IP address so if we're splitting the service should we avoid *************?
I can't speak about simultaneous use as I've never tried it, if that's what you're curious about.

I can say that I've used it on multiple networks and different IPs with no problems whatsoever. I'd use it at the university, various cafés and friends houses with my phone or tablet, always via wifi. They couldn't really bar multiple IPs and still be a desirable service to many. Imagine if you could only access it at home... There are many places we'd want to watch games. School, Work, travelling, etc. Its a mobile service.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
They finally added HD for CI last season. Channels 481-489. You are right about the signal. It becomes all pixeled and a lot of times the channel even goes out and I get "Channel not available" message. This is all my experience only when CI does the free previews because I usually get GCL or HS.

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 06:02 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I can't speak about simultaneous use as I've never tried it, if that's what you're curious about.

I can say that I've used it on multiple networks and different IPs with no problems whatsoever. I'd use it at the university, various cafés and friends houses with my phone or tablet, always via wifi. They couldn't really bar multiple IPs and still be a desirable service to many. Imagine if you could only access it at home... There are many places we'd want to watch games. School, Work, travelling, etc. Its a mobile service.
only one ip address at a time will work. If you are using it on a laptop at a cafe and your roommate tries to use the same account at your apartment, it wont work.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 12:09 PM
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I believe ************* is legal, because technically you're just paying a lawyer's fee based out of The Netherlands.
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
I just signed up for ************* and it is amazing. It has every feature that I could ever ask for, and more. I can't think of a single reason why to choose anything other than this. I dont watch TV and live in PA. I was paying $100 a month just for DirecTV so I could watch hockey. Then I also paid $150 or whatever it was for the hockey package. So I was literally spending about $1400, just to watch the Rangers and 6 games are blacked out because of the Flyers.

With ************* I get all games, plus about 6 other leagues including AHL, KHL, etc. All for $110 a year, and you can pause your subscription, so after the 8 month season is over, so you really are paying about $75 for a full season. Say a game starts at 7pm and you get home at 8pm. You can start watching the game from the beginning, or you can watch it live with no delay. You can also watch the games days later on archive. You can watch it on your phone. You can watch multiple games at the same time.

If you buy the $35 Google Chromecast you can use your phone or tablet to start the stream on your TV. And it doesnt stream from your phone, the Google Chromecast does it, so having to deal with the headache of hooking up a tablet or laptop to your TV can easily be avoided. Seems like a no brainer.

I guess the only hangup people might have is that it is technically illegal. I would gladly give my money to the NHL if they offered this service, but they dont. And I am sick of paying Satellite and Cable companies $1400 a year just to watch the Rangers. Pirating has revolutionized industries forcing companies to give people what they want. Napster has revolutionized MP3s and music distribution. Cable and Satellite companies fleecing people has given birth to Hulu and Netflix. And it wont be long before there will be TV services where you can subscribe to certain channels, rather than being forced to pay for 300 channels you dont want. So order ************* guilt free!
It is not technically illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by li7039 View Post
************* is going to get shutdown sooner or later. I'd be skeptical about using it.
Some people are saying it's only technically illegal, so I'm sure those nice folks in the Netherlands will issue a prompt refund if the servers are raided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The skepticism plays in their favor. It will keep the user base down to the diehard fans, and won't poach enough users from GameCenter to make it worth it to the NHL to start any litigation.
I doubt the NHL is seething about a good deal of users circumventing legal viewing methods.

What happened to the good old days when a fan only needed a tweaked box to receive a **** feed of premium channels.

In all seriousness, ************* offers a lot, but I'm not going to risk my credit card with something like that, and I don't need to get slapped with litigation if the NHL decides to go hunting. The MPAA has smacked a lot of people for bit-torrent, and I think this is risky.

That being said, if it was a legal option, I would be all over it.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop68 View Post
What?

It is not technically illegal.

Some people are saying it's only technically illegal, so I'm sure those nice folks in the Netherlands will issue a prompt refund if the servers are raided.

I doubt the NHL is seething about a good deal of users circumventing legal viewing methods.

What happened to the good old days when a fan only needed a tweaked box to receive a **** feed of premium channels.

In all seriousness, ************* offers a lot, but I'm not going to risk my credit card with something like that, and I don't need to get slapped with litigation if the NHL decides to go hunting. The MPAA has smacked a lot of people for bit-torrent, and I think this is risky.

That being said, if it was a legal option, I would be all over it.
Haha, what? You seriously think they're gunna go after random customers of *************?

Comical post. No other way to say it.

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote