HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Gazette: Souray says Habs should sign Markov first

Old
11-28-2006, 05:51 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
For once I agree with you about Rivet. I can't see Cote or Emelin replacing what he brings. Maybe Emelin will bring more offence (I doubt it, at least for a few seasons, if ever he even comes over), but there's no way he can replace the leadership and stability. And Cote, well, he's an 8th or 9th defenceman at this point, someone who would slip unnoticed through waivers.

Anyway, I also agree that 3.5 million is too much for Rivet. If some team is willing to offer that much, then good for Craig. I'm thinking something along the lines of 2.5 for a 3 year deal, maybe 10 million over 5 years so he can retire a Hab.
I'm a Rivet fan believe it or not, I'm just trying to be objective. He's a real blood-and-guts battler who has made himself into a steady defenseman through sheer hard work. That's a great example for the kids.

But let's face it, he's a 4/5 guy who has troubles moving the puck. Just like Souray and young Komisarek.

That makes it very hard come playoff time when three of your top 4 defenseman cannot move the puck effectively. And now we're supposed to want to overpay them too?

As for loyalty, my only loyalty is to Stanley Cup. I gave the fake Cup a hug a couple months ago and it felt good. Would be nice to celebrate another Cup win one of these decades.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 05:53 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The thing about Emelin is, he would be the perfect replacement for Souray, if we had to give Souray up. Emelin is better defensively, but doesn't put himself into the rush as much as Souray but he does have a real heavy bullet of a shot like Souray.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 05:55 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The thing about Emelin is, he would be the perfect replacement for Souray, if we had to give Souray up. Emelin is better defensively, but doesn't put himself into the rush as much as Souray but he does have a real heavy bullet of a shot like Souray.
You can't replace Souray with a kid, unless he's that rare kid who CAN step in. Hopefully he's a good puck mover, sheesh (broken record).

To me that article says that Souray doesn't have any confidence. Why would a guy who puts up the numbers he has even be worried about being re-signed? Obviously it's because of his defense and puck moving. I wish he could just put it all together and dominate like he should. I mean, he is the FASTEST SKATER ON THE TEAM and is 6-4, 240. He should be dominating.

I know he's a little dinged right now, but if he ever gets back to 100% this season he should dominate.

If we are going to have a chance to win the Cup this year, it's obvious that Markov-Souray-Rivet-Komisarek are going to have to raise their games. For Rivet and Komisarek that means staying conservative, but excelling. And for Souray that means staying conservative too in all aspects but shooting. Keep getting those canons on net and the numbers will keep piling up.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 11-28-2006 at 06:09 AM.
Old
11-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Marc-E-

I'm really confuse about moving Souray . But, we have to make a decision. I'm concern by losing an asset next summer for nothing. I don't think the Kings wouldn't want Souray specially if they have to give a guy like Johnson. Actually, if he wants to go in the West. 4 teams could be interesting destination for him: Edmonton, San Jose, Phoenix and Vancouver. L.A. and Anaheim...It's gonna be pretty tough to move him there. If we've been an real contender for the Cup (Actually I think the Habs still miss A-1 quarterback, smooth passer and a reall no.1 centerman or a guy for Kovalev to be consider as a real contender) I would't mind losing Souray at end of the year.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 06:13 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
I'm really confuse about moving Souray . But, we have to make a decision. I'm concern by losing an asset next summer for nothing. I don't think the Kings wouldn't want Souray specially if they have to give a guy like Johnson. Actually, if he wants to go in the West. 4 teams could be interesting destination for him: Edmonton, San Jose, Phoenix and Vancouver. L.A. and Anaheim...It's gonna be pretty tough to move him there. If we've been an real contender for the Cup (Actually I think the Habs still miss A-1 quarterback, smooth passer and a reall no.1 centerman or a guy for Kovalev to be consider as a real contender) I would't mind losing Souray at end of the year.
Edmonton is a bit too far if you're thinking about his daughter. San Jose is a little over an hour away from LA by plane, but calculate in the car time and that's another hour and a half. So three hours door-to-door. I don't think a hockey player would have time for that during the season, but the child could be brought to him much easier I guess.

LA is the only logical spot for him it seems, or just stay in Montreal. Anaheim has no room for him salary-wise I would think. And don't need another dman. Not sure if LA needs another dman next year either: Blake, Vish, Johnson...

Old
11-28-2006, 06:17 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
You can't replace Souray with a kid, unless he's that rare kid who CAN step in. Hopefully he's a good puck mover, sheesh (broken record).

To me that article says that Souray doesn't have any confidence. Why would a guy who puts up the numbers he has even be worried about being re-signed? Obviously it's because of his defense and puck moving. I wish he could just put it all together and dominate like he should. I mean, he is the FASTEST SKATER ON THE TEAM and is 6-4, 240. He should be dominating.

I know he's a little dinged right now, but if he ever gets back to 100% this season he should dominate.

If we are going to have a chance to win the Cup this year, it's obvious that Markov-Souray-Rivet-Komisarek are going to have to raise their games. For Rivet and Komisarek that means staying conservative, but excelling. And for Souray that means staying conservative too in all aspects but shooting. Keep getting those canons on net and the numbers will keep piling up.
The thing is though, we have too many defencemen. Niniimaa will be gone, there's no doubt about this. We have Markov who is our best defencemen, in his own end and his offensive flair. Bouillon is a work-horse who will jump in the rush and rarely loses battles. Dandenault is great defensively, has versatility to be played on the wing and has great wheels, also has won a stanley cup. Rivet is steady, we all know what we get from him. Streit has a great shot, offensive instincts, needs to work on his own zone. Cote is a young Rivet without the leadership qualities.

With all of these defensemen in our system, I say it wouldn't be hard to put Emelin in there, give him some minutes, but you don't have to play him top minutes like Souray. But you can put him in place of Souray on the powerplay for his cannon of a shot.

That being said, I don't want to lose Souray. So don't think that's what I am implying.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 07:58 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The thing is though, we have too many defencemen. Niniimaa will be gone, there's no doubt about this. We have Markov who is our best defencemen, in his own end and his offensive flair. Bouillon is a work-horse who will jump in the rush and rarely loses battles. Dandenault is great defensively, has versatility to be played on the wing and has great wheels, also has won a stanley cup. Rivet is steady, we all know what we get from him. Streit has a great shot, offensive instincts, needs to work on his own zone. Cote is a young Rivet without the leadership qualities.

With all of these defensemen in our system, I say it wouldn't be hard to put Emelin in there, give him some minutes, but you don't have to play him top minutes like Souray. But you can put him in place of Souray on the powerplay for his cannon of a shot.

That being said, I don't want to lose Souray. So don't think that's what I am implying.
The number of defensemen is a problem, but the bigger problem is the quality of defensemen we have imo. We have a balance and we can get by, but I don't see how we win a Cup with this group unless Buffalo, Anaheim, etc. have some serious injuries come playoff time. I'm measuring everything against a Cup, not against being competitive. Competitive is nice, we're there. The next level is contender.

I don't want to lose Souray either, but he needs a better partner than Rivet and Rivet needs a better partner than him. And we can't afford that guy if we pay Souray, Rivet, Markov the market rate.

It's unsolveable. So something has to be done to break the logjam and remake the D in the offseason, or even now with a trade if possible (and not for a Niinimaa type either).

Of course, the other possibility is that I'm wrong...

Old
11-28-2006, 08:30 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Of course, the other possibility is that I'm wrong...
Always good when we realize that's a possibility. I know that you think the team is at a point where every year should have a win now mentality. I agree to the point that dealing Souray while the team shows signs of contending .

if you get an offer that makes you better today, than you go for it. You don't weaken your team this year because of impending free agency. It's not like his cap room goes with him. Letting good players who contribute finish their contracts will happen more and more often, on teams in contention.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou diamond phillips View Post
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...4244762&k=7845
Interesting article. Souray says that Gainey should sign Markov first. It kind of implies he will be gone next year...
Well it does sound like he will be gone at the end of the year, but its not a total loss. I'm sure Bob will be able to fill the whole left by Souray with a good defensive defencmen who can put the puck in the net too. Souray is a good big defencemen....but he isn't that great defensively....he can put the puck in the net but I'm sure we could get someone that would be better at helping keep the puck out.
Anyways.....we are still playing this season and he is still playing in Montreal....so lets not think about what might happen at the end of the year....lets just remain focused on getting to the playoffs.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote