HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

October 2, 2013| vs. Toronto. Johnny B. GOODe; BAD to the Bone; UGLY Truth

Old
10-03-2013, 10:00 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

vCash: 500
One thing this threads taught me is I need to change my name after going back and forth with a guy with the same name lol. How do I change it specifically, I cant find it in user CP?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:03 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Ok, you guys win. Couturier would be top 10 in scoring if he JUST HAD SOME LINEMATES!!!
Yeah cause that's what we said.

No middle ground between a dud and top 10 scorer I guess.

Put G with Rinaldo and Talbot and watch him succeed then if linemates don't play a big role.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
One thing this threads taught me is I need to change my name after going back and forth with a guy with the same name lol. How do I change it specifically, I cant find it in user CP?
Under User CP, there is "Settings and Options" on the side bar and in that section there is "Edit Email, Password, & Username"

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
Click "edit your details", then it's at the top.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Yeah cause that's what we said.

No middle ground between a dud and top 10 scorer I guess.

Put G with Rinaldo and Talbot and watch him succeed then if linemates don't play a big role.
lol. Giroux would still put up 60 pts with that slop

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:06 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yup, every single shift he starts in the defensive zone and has **** lines mates. 100% of the time.
Jesus man, stop exaggerating everyone's arguments. Of course he doesn't start every single shift in the defensive zone, and no he isn't going to be top 10 in scoring with linemates.

Your strawman arguments don't discredit the fact that he is playing with awful linemates, gets very few offensive zone starts (<35% last season), gets the hardest match-ups and gets very little in the way of good offensive opportunities (starts and PP). And he's only 20, most players haven't even cracked the NHL at his age.

There's a point where he needs to produce something on his own, but right now everything is against him and his limited production is expected.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:07 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
lol. Giroux would still put up 60 pts with that slop
Sure he would

Old
10-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Hiesenberg

Couturier played with Voracek most of the night, and they did nothing. When Voracek goes back to 1, Couturier will probably get Schenn or Simmonds. What will be the excuse then if it doesn't work out? Simmonds scores 28-30 goals a year.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I'd wait at least until he's been old enough to drink for a few months.
I'm not saying to give up on him but it's becoming too much of a built up excuse to simply blame Lavi for Couturier's short comings IMO.

I'm not real crazy with the way Lavi has handled Couturier but at the same time in the opportunities he has been given he hasn't really done much with it.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Jesus man, stop exaggerating everyone's arguments. Of course he doesn't start every single shift in the defensive zone, and no he isn't going to be top 10 in scoring with linemates.

Your strawman arguments don't discredit the fact that he is playing with awful linemates, gets very few offensive zone starts (<35% last season), gets the hardest match-ups and gets very little in the way of good offensive opportunities (starts and PP). And he's only 20, most players haven't even cracked the NHL at his age.

There's a point where he needs to produce something on his own, but right now everything is against him and his limited production is expected.
Here's my point. Why should he be? Giroux/Vinny are superior offensive players. Why would a coach put in Couturier in an offensive zone draw when you have those players already on your bench.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This linemates argument is used very selectively around here. It is used to defend players who put up bad numbers (Sean Couturier), and also to discredit players who put up good numbers (Bobby Ryan). While linemates certainly have an effect on how you play, I think it is greatly overrated around here when it is convenient. Yes, Sean Couturier would likely put up better numbers with better linemates. And Yes Bobby Ryan likely would put up lower numbers with worse linemates. But it isn't like Couturier would be a superstar if playing with guys not named Talbot and Rinaldo, just like it isn't like Bobby Ryan would not be a nobody playing on a line with guys not named Getzlaf or Perry.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This linemates argument is used very selectively around here. It is used to defend players who put up bad numbers (Sean Couturier), and also to discredit players who put up good numbers (Bobby Ryan). While linemates certainly have an effect on how you play, I think it is greatly overrated around here when it is convenient. Yes, Sean Couturier would likely put up better numbers with better linemates. And Yes Bobby Ryan likely would put up lower numbers with worse linemates. But it isn't like Couturier would be a superstar if playing with guys not named Talbot and Rinaldo, just like it isn't like Bobby Ryan would not be a nobody playing on a line with guys not named Getzlaf or Perry.
Jesus Christ, finally somebody who gets it.

I'm not saying Couturier is going to be out of the league, but lets not pretend like he'd be batting for the Art Ross trophy if he was playing with Voracek & Read now.

I didn't say he was a dud either, I said people are AFRAID that's what he'll be.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:14 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Ok guys, don't burn me at the stake here, but what do you think about trading B. Schenn?

It was summed up pretty well above, but so far he's shown that he's not a very good possession player, among other negatives. I would think his value is still pretty high so maybe you bite the bullet and deal him, either in a package for an upgrade or for a young defender.

I know he's still young and can still improve. This is just for discussing, don't kill me here guys.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Ok guys, don't burn me at the stake here, but what do you think about trading B. Schenn?

It was summed up pretty well above, but so far he's shown that he's not a very good possession player, among other negatives. I would think his value is still pretty high so maybe you bite the bullet and deal him, either in a package for an upgrade or for a young defender.

I know he's still young and can still improve. This is just for discussing, don't kill me here guys.
Trade whoever you can to get better. Nobody is untouchable (except Giroux I guess)

Old
10-03-2013, 10:17 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I'm amazed at how many are throwing out the 'same as last year' comments.

Last year, the team rarely looked as good as they did last night. Bernier didn't steal the game, but the Flyers had their opportunites to bury the Leafs and didn't. Last year, I was left wondering if they only prepared to show up for 10 minutes a night; last night, I was happy with the effort over the full 60 minutes. There was a little lull at the beginning of the third but, if they play that way all year, they'll win more than they lose.

They lost that game a lot differently than they lost most of their games last year.

However, I remember being relatively pleased with their effort in the first game last year, too, and we all know how that turned out for the rest of the season.

10-03-2013, 10:18 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't really think anybody is arguing the last part though. If Couturier played with decent linemates, he doesn't have to be flanked by all-stars just better players then Talbot and Rinaldo, he'd put up numbers that people around here would at least be content with. Instead his lack of production is seen as a sign of a lack of offensive talent. But the thing that bothers me most is that we are one game into the season and we are already talking about this. So I assume most people arguing Couturier is a dud are basing this off his offensive numbers from last yr. Just seems really stupid to me.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:20 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm not saying Couturier is going to be out of the league, but lets not pretend like he'd be batting for the Art Ross trophy if he was playing with Voracek & Read now.

I didn't say he was a dud either, I said people are AFRAID that's what he'll be.
Nobody has ever uttered that.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

You said people are afraid to admit that he's a dud, admit is the key term there.

And I don't think anyone is arguing that he would be an Art Ross candidate. I don't know where you got that impression. It seems you read peoples posts and then just take what they said to the extreme. People are just arguing that with better linemates Couturier's production would be higher and consequently no one would be questioning the 20 yr old's offensive talent cause he would have put up decent numbers.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 10-03-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Eh, already calling Couts out and saying he might be a dud? Some people weren't ready to ship out JVR at the age of 23, but the guy who can't even buy a beer is dangerously close to a "bust"...

Edit: If that Art Ross trophy thing will be used as a criterium for assessment, I think we will see a lot of duds on our roster.

Last edited by kudymen: 10-03-2013 at 10:25 AM.
kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:25 AM
FlyersFan61290

Same is gonna happen to B Schenn when he starts to struggle. Just wait everyone will be calling for a trade or saying we should have dealt him for this person or that person. No one has any patients around here.

Just like Voracek last season. He started slow and people were literally saying he should be traded, meaning while months earlier when he signed his extention off a solid performance to end the season (and into the playoffs) he was future 70 pt player. People are so bi polar on here it's ridiculous.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
Eh, already calling Couts out and saying he might be a dud? Some people weren't ready to ship out JVR at the age of 23, but the guy who can't even buy a beer is dangerously close to a "bust"...
I don't see anything in Couturier that I saw in JVR

Old
10-03-2013, 10:26 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Just like Voracek last season. He started slow and people were literally saying he should be traded, meaning while months earlier when he signed his extention off a solid performance to end the season (and into the playoffs) he was future 70 pt player. People are so bi polar on here it's ridiculous.
Or Hartnell in 2011/12 before he played with G and Jagr. Ridiculous.

Quote:
I don't see anything in Couturier that I saw in JVR
Yeah and many didn't see much in St. Louis when he was younger (or Read), I mean who can be so sure at this age and at this point of development?

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Same is gonna happen to B Schenn when he starts to struggle. Just wait everyone will be calling for a trade or saying we should have dealt him for this person or that person. No one has any patients around here.

People are ALREADY saying that about Schenn. Schenn to me has been a pretty massive disappointment to lots.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:27 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Well I think Lavi's going to be out soon & Terry Murray will be brought in. Murray is known to award players who are defensively responsible with more ice time so we'll get a better idea of where Couturier stands if that does indeed happen.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Hiesenberg

You people are comparing a 20 year that hasn't shown much to players with longer track records that showed more as well.