HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What happened to Tim Connolly?

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2013, 05:09 PM
WHLfollower

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
The obvious answer to the original question is: Who Cares!

That bag of glass was a huge waste of time. As far as I'm concerned the worst Leaf signing in 5yrs...since Blake's contract.
Blake had chronic myelogenous leukemia, and like if wasn't trying to score during that time with 300 shots on net. Tim Connolly aka Mr.Glass dear god if he got a paper cut he was out for couple days. I think spent more time watching games then playing while he was in Toronto. The worse signing or contracts ever has to Vesa tied with Pavel Kubina. Just the past 5 years we have Darcy Tucker contract, JML, Bryan McCabe...This list goes on and on.

Old
10-02-2013, 05:18 PM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Connelly and many others went to Toronto to make millions when signed to asinine contracts, get fat and out of shape, then Die, FIFY.
Whereas players like Pronger, Shanahan, Cujo and Hull left St.Louis for greater things.

Old
10-02-2013, 05:27 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

everyone hates when this is brought up, and pretends like it isn't an issue, but this guy has some serious off ice issues he needs to address. his decline in play seemed to be directly related to his increase in certain off ice "activities."

Old
10-03-2013, 07:48 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't think its strictly about the money. Seems to me that he might be the classic case of a top-six player who isn't good enough to play in anyone's top-six.
Although I'm sure he probably wants to be top six, he DID have some success in a shut-down role. He could be another McClement for someone. He was good on the PK and has good speed (when he is in shape).

His is probably a pride issue.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:10 AM
sobrio

vCash: 50
Just a quick wiki search gives a lot of insight. I'm not sure why he's getting pitchforked in this thread. It seems Toronto tossed a coin and gambled on his history of serious injuries and it didn't pan out.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:31 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENuck View Post
Just a quick wiki search gives a lot of insight. I'm not sure why he's getting pitchforked in this thread. It seems Toronto tossed a coin and gambled on his history of serious injuries and it didn't pan out.
Because he was completely healthy here. The issue is with work ethic - not reoccurring injury / inability.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:49 AM
sobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Because he was completely healthy here. The issue is with work ethic - not reoccurring injury / inability.
His history of injuries (concussions, hip spurs, broken ribs etc) would have been a gamble regardless. I doubt work ethic has anything to do with it other than as a side effect of being hurt.

From 2011.. red flags everywhere:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-else-assumed/

Old
10-03-2013, 03:29 PM
natemm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Yep, where players like Phil Kessel, Joffrey Lupul, Mats Sundin, Gary Roberts, Curtis Joseph, Ed Belfour, Dion Phaneuf, James van Riemsdyk, Cody Franson, Alexander Mogilny and...

Oh wait, they all flourished here. My mistake.
Counting cups?

Old
10-04-2013, 07:16 AM
RonJon

vCash: 200

Last edited by RonJon: 10-04-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old
10-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

An AHL team wouldn't pick him up. As far as I'm concerned, he's done from the NHL.

Old
10-04-2013, 08:43 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Where is Zeke and his stats?
If you pro-rate Connelly's stats from his first 15 games with the Leafs, it was actually the best UFA signing by any NHL team in history.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Alright, I'll say it. I am a Leafs fan that supported the Connolly signing when it happened. I felt like he could really fit with the team, since there was a huge need for a top center. He never had any consistancy in Buffalo because of his injuries, so a fresh start with consistant/skilled linemates looked like it might work wonders.

But the story went exactly like Sabres fans told us it would. He played grat for stretches, but it seemed like it was only when he wanted to. Season starts, Tim plays well. Kessel is on fire, Tim plays well. Coaching change, Tim plays well. But unless there was some outside factor to motivate him, he was dead weight. Combine that with missing time for any "injury" he could come up with, and Connolly was just not helping the team.

I wanted to see him succeed. But once it looked like there was no longer a place for him on the team, he totally gave up. Like nothing I've ever seen before, he just called it quits, and did only the bare minimum to keep getting paid. He was getting out played in the AHL, coasting around like he was on autopilot.

I kept checking in on him, reading post-game articles and boxscores once in a while. But it was sometimes hard to know if he was even playing unless you watched the game and saw his name on a jersey. He litterally dissappeared.

Trust me when I say, for the last year he had no desire to be an NHL player. I don't know if that has changed, or if he could still return if he wanted to. But it is a stone-cold fact that he just hasn't cared for a long time now.

End of story.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:02 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
Alright, I'll say it. I am a Leafs fan that supported the Connolly signing when it happened. I felt like he could really fit with the team, since there was a huge need for a top center. He never had any consistancy in Buffalo because of his injuries, so a fresh start with consistant/skilled linemates looked like it might work wonders.

But the story went exactly like Sabres fans told us it would. He played grat for stretches, but it seemed like it was only when he wanted to. Season starts, Tim plays well. Kessel is on fire, Tim plays well. Coaching change, Tim plays well. But unless there was some outside factor to motivate him, he was dead weight. Combine that with missing time for any "injury" he could come up with, and Connolly was just not helping the team.

I wanted to see him succeed. But once it looked like there was no longer a place for him on the team, he totally gave up. Like nothing I've ever seen before, he just called it quits, and did only the bare minimum to keep getting paid. He was getting out played in the AHL, coasting around like he was on autopilot.

I kept checking in on him, reading post-game articles and boxscores once in a while. But it was sometimes hard to know if he was even playing unless you watched the game and saw his name on a jersey. He litterally dissappeared.

Trust me when I say, for the last year he had no desire to be an NHL player. I don't know if that has changed, or if he could still return if he wanted to. But it is a stone-cold fact that he just hasn't cared for a long time now.

End of story.
So strange / interesting.

Oh, the privileged.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Rinzler

Tim Connolly just didn't seem to care. It was written all over his body language. Once Carlyle came in, it was game over.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Srsly

I thought he looked pretty good as a bottom six player prior to being sent down.
The main problem at that point was that he was being paid like a top sixer. After being sent down his work ethic plummeted even further. Like others have said it's probably a pride issue more than anything.

Sort of a shame, the guy had amazing hands and showed flashes of brilliance from time to time.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:45 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHLfollower View Post
Blake had chronic myelogenous leukemia, and like if wasn't trying to score during that time with 300 shots on net. Tim Connolly aka Mr.Glass dear god if he got a paper cut he was out for couple days. I think spent more time watching games then playing while he was in Toronto. The worse signing or contracts ever has to Vesa tied with Pavel Kubina. Just the past 5 years we have Darcy Tucker contract, JML, Bryan McCabe...This list goes on and on.
Kubina wasn't even bad here lol

and semantics, but Vesa was in a trade, and while by no means did he work out here, if he actually had a team in front of him, things may have been different, who knows.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:58 AM
phillipmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
He went to Toronto where players go to die.
As a Leaf fan i cant disagree... There are three types of players;

1. You come and flourish (Lupul, JVR, Franson)
2. You come and die (Komisarek, Connelly, Toskala, Blake, maybe Liles)
3. You are developed, written off, traded to another team and flourish

There are very few cases were they flourish as a Leaf and die when they go elsewhere (Kaberle).

Old
10-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
As a Leaf fan i cant disagree... There are three types of players;

1. You come and flourish (Lupul, JVR, Franson)
2. You come and die (Komisarek, Connelly, Toskala, Blake, maybe Liles)
3. You are developed, written off, traded to another team and flourish

There are very few cases were they flourish as a Leaf and die when they go elsewhere (Kaberle).
And I bet if you asked all 30 fan bases, the majority would say all 3 of the scenarios you've mentioned happen to them as well. As for the last part, I'm sure Grabo will do just fine. As well as MacArthur and so on and so on. It happens to every team.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Man in the Mirror

one of the best shot blocking forwards in the league

seriously, he's really good at it

Old
10-05-2013, 12:33 PM
fallsviewafro
Finnish goalies

vCash: 1075
Saw Connolly totally mangled, couldn't-talk-straight piss drunk at a restaurant in Toronto. Gave the women I was with a creepy leer - even though he was with his own.

This was during the season he was in TO, too. Great dedication to the game.

Old
10-05-2013, 12:35 PM
jimmycarter

burke has done some real bad signings.

i was visibly mad when i first heard of the $ and term liles and grabo got under burkie's country club.

Old
10-05-2013, 12:37 PM
caley

This is just piling on him now, isn't it? Let's consider this closed.