HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Should fighting be allowed in international games?

Old
10-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Sanderson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
Ummm were talking Hockey here, not figure skating!
You totally missed the point. Fighting isn't "allowed" anywhere in hockey, you get a major penalty for it. There is no reason to allow fighting in international hockey, because it already isn't more illegal than in the NHL.

The only difference is that the NHL hands out misconducts or game misconducts after instigator, brawls or three fights in one game, while the IIHF has the misconduct for any fight where the gloves have been dropped.

Heck, I have seen European refs hand out 2+2 for a pretty big fight, without even adding the mandatory misconduct for dropping the gloves. So it's not like players get thrown out every single time. Things have changed a lot since the days of every player getting 5+game for every little pushing match.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

Missed what point? Being German, I see where you are coming from, as it is not as popular as it is here in N.A.

Watching a fight is the biggest crowd pleaser. Bar none! Go to a live NHL game, hear the excitement.

There is a reason the NHL refuses to take it out of the game, it's a long season, and players remember!

Back In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Missed what point? Being German, I see where you are coming from, as it is not as popular as it is here in N.A.

Watching a fight is the biggest crowd pleaser. Bar none! Go to a live NHL game, hear the excitement.

There is a reason the NHL refuses to take it out of the game, it's a long season, and players remember!
The point that there is no difference in the legality of fighting between the NHL and IIHF. You get a major penalty for fighting in the NHL, which means it is illegal. Anything that comes at the price of a penalty is illegal. Just because fights usually end up with both sides getting the same amount of penalties doesn't mean that fighting is legal in the NHL. In other words, if two players cross-check each other and both get 2 minutes for it, that doesn't mean cross-checking is allowed, it just happens to be that the punishments negate each other. To make it even more obvious, if one players is punching the other, and the other refuses to fight back, you end up with 5 minutes against 2 or no penalty at all, which leads to a powerplay for one team.

Where I'm from has absolutely nothing to do with this matter. First, I was an NHL-fan before I started to follow hockey in Europe, second, this isn't about what I like or dislike, it's about what the rules are. As I said, Systemfel was making the point that fighting wasn't allowed anywhere, which is true. There is no difference in the way NHL and IIHF see the legality of fighting, neither allow it. The only difference is the kind of punishment they hand out.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

The NHL does allow fighting, and they came out (for the record) and said that they have absolutely no plans of taking it out of the game.

If I fighter continues to fight game after game, the NHL does not call them into their offices and fine & suspend the them for their actions, hence it is Legal.

Last edited by Back In Black: 10-04-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Back In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:57 PM
gretskidoo

When did they take out penalties for fighting in the NHL?

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
The NHL does allow fighting, and they came out (for the record) and said that they have absolutely no plans of taking it out of the game.

If I fighter continues to fight game after game, the NHL does not call them into their offices and fine & suspend the them for their actions, hence it is Legal.
No, they don't. I really don't see what's supposed to be so hard to understand about that. If you get punished for it, it isn't legal!

Players get neither suspended nor fined for fighting in the IIHF either, so I guess they allow fighting too

There is a huge difference between actively trying go get rid of something and handing out modest punishment. Fighting, just like most infractions in the rulebook, is considered to be something that can happen in the game. It is illegal, but that's why there are penalties to deal with it.

The NHL obviously uses the modest punishment approach when it comes to fighting. They know a lot of people like it, so they don't go out of their way to remove it, but they do punish it. There is a penalty every single time it happens, and depending on the circumstances players can even get suspended or fined. I really don't know why you are trying to create an argument when there is nothing to argue about. Something legal can never lead to a penalty, unless the judge is corrupt. Players do get punished for fighting, hence it isn't legal.

Something doesn't turn legal just because a player doesn't get suspended for it. What kind of logic is that supposed to be?
a) players do get punished for it, they get a penalty in the game which prevents their team from using them for a certain amount of time. You won't rot in jail for the rest of your life if you steal apples from your neighbours' tree, but that doesn't mean it's legal or that you won't get punished.
b) if a player gets 2 minutes for hooking every single game of the season, he won't get suspended or fined for it either, but that certainly doesn't make hooking legal, else there wouldn't be a penalty for it every single time!

Old
10-04-2013, 11:56 PM
hockeydude1
#CatsAreComing

It could work. I think it would create a bigger rivalry. But it's understandable why it's not. Interesting thought.

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote