HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Version 2.0: How long before Laviolette gets canned?

View Poll Results: How long before Lavi gets canned?
His Christmas gift this year will be a pink slip 63 50.81%
He'll make it to the end of the season and then be fired 21 16.94%
He will continue for the duration of his contract extension 16 12.90%
Never..it's always somebody else's fault (goalie, players etc.) 8 6.45%
Other (post in thread) 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Rangers got the coach I would have liked...but noooooo Holmgren and Snider had to pull a CYA and double down on Lavi. Brilliant....

BTW no Bryz excuse now........
My excuses from last season are gone too; we have a normal season with camp and preseason. Yet many of the same problems are present.

10-03-2013, 12:33 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
if you want to pull the plug on Lavi then Holmgren needs to go as well.

Old
10-03-2013, 12:36 AM
thom

vCash: 500
Would Pat Roy have looked great behind Flyers bench.The emotion and spirit are what Philadelphia people embrace at least in short term

Old
10-03-2013, 12:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Would Pat Roy have looked great behind Flyers bench.The emotion and spirit are what Philadelphia people embrace at least in short term
Somebody should have told him he was a coach towards the end, he looked like the same idiot from fifteen years ago.

Old
10-03-2013, 01:12 AM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Somebody should have told him he was a coach towards the end, he looked like the same idiot from fifteen years ago.
Roy is a clown, looked very unprofessional out there.

Old
10-03-2013, 04:53 AM
SgtJoseph

So much of this blaming Lavy is just plain silly talk in my opinion...........We had a ton of quality scoring chances tonight, Hatnell alone could of had a hatty tonight if he buried a few of his great looks.........We ran into a hot rested goalie, nothing more...........all of this conjecture is pure nonsense and just folks trying to pin a 2-1 loss on Homer, Lavy, Mez, or whoever else is the flavor of the month blame game.

Old
10-03-2013, 05:16 AM
OzFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
So much of this blaming Lavy is just plain silly talk in my opinion...........We had a ton of quality scoring chances tonight, Hatnell alone could of had a hatty tonight if he buried a few of his great looks.........We ran into a hot rested goalie, nothing more...........all of this conjecture is pure nonsense and just folks trying to pin a 2-1 loss on Homer, Lavy, Mez, or whoever else is the flavor of the month blame game.
Yea, I just ignore these threads. Lets play a few real games first.

Old
10-03-2013, 05:41 AM
StandingCow

You two are missing the point, we aren't saying this is just now an issue after one game, this has been an issue for two seasons now....

Old
10-03-2013, 08:05 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Everybody take a shot.

Old
10-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Kevin Danko

vCash: 897
They looked great playing his system in the first and first half of the second. One of Torontos Goals was from not clearing the front of the net, Schenn got caught standing still and Streit didnt take the guy off the puck behind the net.

I think he will eventually get fired if they go like 1-9 in there first ten.

Old
10-03-2013, 08:41 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I feel like I should save this response in my drafts to save time but it's not just this game that people are angry about its a continued trend dating back to last season & extended into the preseason & now into the first game. The team still looks unmotivated sans a few players.

Old
10-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Curufinwe

The comments on this article are quite interesting.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...dds-flyers-nhl

Quote:
The Laviolette algorithm:

Attack anticipated + cycle lanes shut down + don’t have enough scoring threats (roster) to play run-and-gun + no 3rd man high creating resistance through the neutral zone + easy zone entry and disproportionate odd man rushes + larger shooting lanes + below average goaltending = bad result.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:06 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I feel like I should save this response in my drafts to save time but it's not just this game that people are angry about its a continued trend dating back to last season & extended into the preseason & now into the first game. The team still looks unmotivated sans a few players.
Completely agree with you. The inability of the whole team to play 60 minutes, the lack of response to other coach's adjustment and persistent use of schemes that are not working/ not suitable for the personnel is all on coaching staff. Also, not putting the personnel in the best positions to succeed (Talbot on the 3d line, Couts is continuously misused)

Yes, the players failed to finish; and, yes, the players made a few defensive mistakes; and, yes, Bernier played well. But that can happen in any single game. The trend that you are speaking about is very apparent. Thank you for seeing "forest behind the trees".

Old
10-03-2013, 09:08 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The comments on this article are quite interesting.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...dds-flyers-nhl
I would say this is pretty damning...also it seems pretty obvious how to counter the Flyers attack game. It is really all about patience and discipline and having a good netminder to weather the initial storm. It doesnt take much to rattle and frustrate the Flyers if they dont get their way or fall behind...I do think it is both system and roster related.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:12 AM
blinds

I like Lavi but it seems like every team in the league is starting to figure us out. Even the Pens stopped buying into our tit-for-tat strategy. I think a mediocre start sees him gone by Thanksgiving.

Like others have said though, who replaces him? Berube or Murray? I'm not optimistic for the rest of the season if it's one of them. I still wish we got Eakins in the offseason.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 12000
The morning of October 18th.

After starting the season 2-6 and coming off an embarrassing home loss to their arch rivals the Pittsburgh Penguins, Peter Laviolette was fired and this season's first head coach casualty. The Flyers don't play again for almost a full week and have time to adjust to _____________ new system.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:22 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
The morning of October 18th.

After starting the season 2-6 and coming off an embarrassing home loss to their arch rivals the Pittsburgh Penguins, Peter Laviolette was fired and this season's first head coach casualty. The Flyers don't play again for almost a full week and have time to adjust to _____________ new system.
Might want to move it up a bit until Oct 24th when they play the Rangers......although the time off would make sense.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Curufinwe

October 18th or November 8th after they play the Devils for the second time in five days seem like likely dates for the axe to finally fall.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
October 18th or November 8th after they play the Devils for the second time in five days seem like likely dates for the axe to finally fall.
Ouch...that Devils prediction might be on target. Either way...Lavi's Thanksgiving goose or Christmas Ham looks to be cooked. I don't think the players will save his job..

Old
10-03-2013, 10:48 AM
FlyersFan61290

Don't know if anyone has seen this yet: http://the700level.com/flyers/peter-...et-used-to-it/

Article is about Lavi and why he won't be fired this season.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:59 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet: http://the700level.com/flyers/peter-...et-used-to-it/

Article is about Lavi and why he won't be fired this season.
Terrible analysis......

Old
10-03-2013, 11:32 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Call me crazy, but I want someone like Mike Keenan back in Philadelphia. He had a good go his first time around and think he'd be a great fit with this current group.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:36 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Call me crazy, but I want someone like Mike Keenan back in Philadelphia. He had a good go his first time around and think he'd be a great fit with this current group.
You are not crazy but Iron Mike is...does he even want to coach anymore? Where is Paul Maurice these days?

Old
10-03-2013, 11:43 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

if you are going to bring in someone that is going to hold guys accountable then why not Rick Tocchet? Would rather stay far, far away from Keenan.
let him stay where ever the hell he is.

Old
10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Brent Sutter makes more sense than Keenan.

Closed Thread