HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington claims Alexander Urbom

Old
10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Clearly the people who have seen way more of Urbom than you think Harrold is better.
Harrold is only here thanks to the one-way contract, don't kid yourself.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:01 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
That's a bit disingenuous reasoning. Of course most teams will pass on a player once the season started. They are set when it comes to players/contracts and can't afford to audition a 6th/7th d-man.

Urbom got claimed and at least 9/10 players on waivers aren't. This doesn't mean Urbom is worth a lot. But there is enough there for another NHL team to give him a shot.
What? This has very little to do with what I posted.

People are questioning the decision to waive Urbom and keep Harrold.
I pointed out that 18 other teams made a similar decision.
Like you said, teams INCLUDING the Devils couldn't afford to audition a 6th/7th d-man.. and because the Devils had to open up a roster spot for Elias, they had to waive him.

It's not like the Devils wanted to get rid of the guy.. they had to exercise the same reasoning in waiving him as the teams who didn't put in a waiver claim.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

I wasn't sold on Urbom.. On the one hand he's huge and showed some potential.. On the other hand, I saw him in a few NHL games as well as some AHL games and he played very timid (especially in the NHL).. If the Caps can get him to play with more confidence this could be huge.. Really no risk for them so a smart pickup

Harrold is good to have because he can play forward in the event of an injury.. Maybe Gio should have been waived but they seem to like him a lot

Colin226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:03 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Teams typically don't end up regretting losing a 7th defenseman. If I see one more Penguins fan bemoan the loss of Brian Strait, a guy who would now be about 9th on the Penguins depth chart and never given a chance because of his low upside (and got straight-up abused by the Penguins in the playoffs) I'm going to scream...very similar situation here...but it still doesn't make sense to expose him to waivers and keep Harrold, who really is nothing more than a pedestrian #7 with no upside.

The bigger issue was giving Harrold a two-year one-way deal, though.
He might have been 7th now but in a few years it's likely he would have been a pretty decent #4 which Harrold never would have which is what I think he means.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Evgeny Oliker

For those of you saying Harrold is better than Urbom, you haven't seen at least one of them in action much.

Harrold is at best a #7 D, and more like a good AHL D.

Urbom has the upside to become a very good #5 D. He is 6'5. He can be physical. He plays the angles VERY well. He is very smart with his stick and positioning. He cancels out plays very well. There is a reason the Devils fans would call him U-bomb and talk about how he "disarms bombs" and all that. I've seen him in many AHL games and he does have excellent upside to become a great shutdown D in the NHL.

Harrold has zero upside and is at best a #7.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Whenever I see this I keep on thinking his last name is Urmom and get utterly offended.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Pleased with this. Wanted Urbom in Washington for a long time, and called for him to be picked up yesterday. With the staff's refusal to give Orlov a chance, this move makes complete sense. Enables a lot more flexibility on the 3rd pairing. While the Caps are certainly loaded with defensive prospects of similar age, readiness, and upside to Urbom, it never hurts to get deeper (especially if they believe Urbom is ahead of guys like Orlov, Schilling, and Schmidt).

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Curious, Urbom can't be sent down if the caps what to keep him, if they do send him down he would have to clear again? I hope the kid does well.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:14 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I assume this will likely result in Washington sending Connor Carrick to the AHL or back to juniors.
I was wrong, Washington re-assigned Michael Latta to the AHL to make room for Urbom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Curious what people want the Devils to do...they had to waive someone, and Josefson probably would have been claimed as well.
You would think there would have been a deal out there at some point in the summer where the Devils could have moved Urbom (from a position where they have an abundance of prospects: Gelinas, Severson, Merrill, etc) somewhere for a prospect forward, well in advance of waiving him. It almost felt like the Devils got surprised this year when the roster cut-off was coming up and had to quickly stash players on IR to get under the limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Another ****ing person in the way of Orlov.
From what I saw of Orlov in the preseason...there might be a few people in the way of Orlov. Guy did not look good whatsoever.

10-03-2013, 01:15 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Curious, Urbom can't be sent down if the caps what to keep him, if they do send him down he would have to clear again? I hope the kid does well.
Capitals will have to waive him to send him down.

Devils are the only team who can send him down without waiving *if* they are the only team to make a claim.

So if the Caps waive him, the Devils can basically force another team to keep him in the NHL by putting in a claim. The only AHL team he would play for this year is Albany.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:15 PM
aemoreira1981

Claiming Urbom tells me one thing: what more does Dmitry Orlov have to do to get an NHL chance?

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Capitals will have to waive him to send him down.

Devils are the only team who can send him down without waiving *if* they are the only team to make a claim.

So if the Caps waive him, the Devils can basically force another team to keep him in the NHL by putting in a claim. The only AHL team he would play for this year is Albany.
Thank u!

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:19 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Peter Harrold is awful. Guy has no awareness and has no clue what to do when the puck isn't on his stick.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this but it pisses me off that we have no-talent dusters like Harrold and Volchenkov in the lineup while Mark Fayne is sitting in the press box and Alex Urbom is on waivers. ****ing stupid.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:24 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Peter Harrold is awful. Guy has no awareness and has no clue what to do when the puck isn't on his stick.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this but it pisses me off that we have no-talent dusters like Harrold and Volchenkov in the lineup while Mark Fayne is sitting in the press box and Alex Urbom is on waivers. ****ing stupid.
Harrold is likely the #7. The good news is that at least their six defensemen are set and Larsson finally has a place.

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:27 PM
NJD Kula
yay hockey

But all our Swedes

NJD Kula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Claiming Urbom tells me one thing: what more does Dmitry Orlov have to do to get an NHL chance?
Become more comfortable on the left side of the ice. During his previous NHL stint, where he looked very promising, he was playing on the right side. Problem is that Adam Oates has a very strong preference for players to play on their natural side, and Orlov is a left shot. Unless Oates is willing to bend his policy or Orlov takes the next step as a left defenseman, he's going to continue to be buried in Hershey. Especially with guys like Nate Schmidt, Tyson Strachan, Connor Carrick, and Tomas Kundratek also fighting for playing time in the NHL.

Old
10-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
Harrold is only here thanks to the one-way contract, don't kid yourself.
Urbom might become better than Harrold in the future, but he isn't.

Rob Nieds work ethic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Yog S'loth

Losing a fourth-year pro with almost no NHL experience that couldn't crack your top 7 D?

Devlis fans, why get worked up about that? I know the natural inclination of sports fans is to horde every player and believe that every draft pick your team makes is eternally awesome, but really, not everyone makes the NHL. Sometimes you gotta pare the tree.

There will be plenty more stay-at-home marginal #8 D-men in your future - I promise.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:42 PM
trick9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Play well when given the chance. Why would they just hand him the spot when he had a bad last year because of injuries and this year when he was given the chance in the training camp he was by far the worst d-man.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick9 View Post
Play well when given the chance. Why would they just hand him the spot when he had a bad last year because of injuries and this year when he was given the chance in the training camp he was by far the worst d-man.

I know he didn't have a terrific camp, but "by far the worst d-man" is an incredible hyperbole. He was decidedly better than guys like Bowey and Wey, let alone the guys who couldn't even make it into a pre-season game (Genoway, Flemming, Haar, Rissling, Lewington, etc.). Personally, I also think he looked better than Cajkovsky and Oleksy in pre-season action. Just because he was outplayed by Carrick, Schmidt, and Strachan doesn't mean he was the worst in camp.

Old
10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Stay healthy and stop regressing as a player. He looked flat out bad in the pre-season.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:25 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

I know he didn't have a terrific camp, but "by far the worst d-man" is an incredible hyperbole. He was decidedly better than guys like Bowey and Wey, let alone the guys who couldn't even make it into a pre-season game (Genoway, Flemming, Haar, Rissling, Lewington, etc.). Personally, I also think he looked better than Cajkovsky and Oleksy in pre-season action. Just because he was outplayed by Carrick, Schmidt, and Strachan doesn't mean he was the worst in camp.
He definitely wasn't the worst d-man in camp, but he didn't seem to get better in any phase of the game. It sucks because he has awesome potential, just needs to put it all together.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Harrold is likely the #7. The good news is that at least their six defensemen are set and Larsson finally has a place.
And yet, Mark Fayne is a healthy scratch in the season opener while Harrold is starting.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:35 PM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
per mike vogel
who???????????????

bobg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Nihiliste

It would have been nice to have the roster space to claim him (we have a few journeymen D on the roster already that wouldn't be a big loss) but at the same time, he really hasn't progressed as hoped. I don't think Lou would have waived him over Harrold if he believed he was going to become anything more than a 6/7.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote