HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eager waived

Old
10-03-2013, 11:06 AM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
@JonathanWillis: Including Ben Eager. RT @FriedgeHNIC: Other players cleared

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

vCash: 500
Eager cleared according to Dreger.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:40 AM
shogun99

I'm surprised that all of Eager, Jones and Larsen cleared. Shows how bad out team was when all 3 of these players would have easily made last years opening night roster.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:42 AM
djdub
#6cups

OKC is going to have a great team this year.

djdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:43 AM
manningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I'm surprised that all of Eager, Jones and Larsen cleared. Shows how bad out team was when all 3 of these players would have easily made last years opening night roster.
Truth

manningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

In this and other threads I'm noticing a misinterpretation that players must be bad if other clubs don't pick them up.

This is a common misinterpretation. That just because players pass waivers that they are on that basis worse than anything other clubs currently have. The fact of the matter is a lot of the waivers done at this time are strategic in that most clubs have full or close to full rosters of the players that they deem useful, and that fit their club. The guys going through waivers just haven't landed anywhere and are sent down at the most opportune time for their org, but the least opportune time for their continuing career.

If the rule was different, and any player sent down anywhere could be picked up anytime by the first club that wanted a specific player we'd see holy different patterns. Under the new CBA with a player only being available to other clubs when sent down it offers a loophole to clubs to in effect harbor these players once they have squeezed them through the busy waiver season.

Simplest way to look at it is there aren't enough spots to pick up an appreciable amount of the volume of players sent down at this time.

If players being waived was an indication of relative player worth Gazdic wouldn't be any better than a Jones or Eager. The only real way to look at it is players that are picked up have specific attributes and skillsets that are in short supply for a team that happens to have a space. Lots of the players sent down recently would be picked up if they were sent down at different times of the year when other clubs were in more need through injury, attrition, or just reevaluation.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:04 PM
oil4life14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Its about time MacT did something truly bold and moved someone like Petry to land a legit third line winger with size and grit to complement the forward group. We have depth to offset the loss of an average dman. Lander, Pitlick, Klefbom and Marincin should all be dangled to get what the team desperately needs.
Trade these guys for a 3rd line winger?! Yeah ok. How about depth at centre?, that needs to be addressed first IMO.

oil4life14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Not so. I loved Gazdic's game yesterday, but Eager had a game like that about a year ago too against Toronto.
Beat the snot out of Brown and scored a goal. He was flying that night.

Anyway, Eager is better than Brown and Smac. Its a wonder anyone could think otherwise.
Eager is more talented than Brown, not a better player.
It's pretty simple really. Brown plays his role every night, gives max effort on every shift and won't hesitate to drop the gloves while Eager rarely plays his role, gives max effort once every five games and never drops the gloves anymore (and for good reason). Brown is better at his job than Eager is, it's as simple as that.
When Eager is on, he's a much better player than Brown but he's rarely on.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil4life14 View Post
Trade these guys for a 3rd line winger?! Yeah ok. How about depth at centre?, that needs to be addressed first IMO.
Not really, you trade Petry for 3rd liner then you need to trade those guys for a 22minute a night d-man.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:37 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Ben Eager is better than Smyth.
No he isn't.

Smyth isn't half the player he once was, but he's still fairly good at sticking to his defensive assignements. Eager isn't good. At all.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Not really, especially with Jones and Larsen. It shows that people want to a) not take on a contract that has a high cap hit, and b) don't necessarily need that type of player.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:45 PM
bone

vCash: 705
Has he actually been assigned yet? I see he's still on the roster according to Oilers site and CapGeek.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Eager is more talented than Brown, not a better player.
It's pretty simple really. Brown plays his role every night, gives max effort on every shift and won't hesitate to drop the gloves while Eager rarely plays his role, gives max effort once every five games and never drops the gloves anymore (and for good reason). Brown is better at his job than Eager is, it's as simple as that.
When Eager is on, he's a much better player than Brown but he's rarely on.
Probably the best worded post in the thread. Well done. I think a lot of us can agree on this despite some differences of opinion.

Brown for sure has had a better workman like attitude. The only question was whether a desperate Eager would approach or exceed that based on the situation he finds himself in. I bet Eager would have a decent year if he landed somewhere.

Old
10-03-2013, 02:32 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Its about time MacT did something truly bold and moved someone like Petry to land a legit third line winger with size and grit to complement the forward group. We have depth to offset the loss of an average dman. Lander, Pitlick, Klefbom and Marincin should all be dangled to get what the team desperately needs.
This would be idiotic. If they are going to trade any of their top four dmen it better be for an upgrade on defense. There isn't anyone in the system who can be plugged into Petrys spot and come close to filling his shoes. I'm not huge on Petry but he is clearly one of our minute eaters at even strength. Trading him for a third line plugger would end very poorly.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
...Eager gets a shot on a callup because I'd like to see his size and speed in the bottom six...
He is not bottom six but bottom three guy = Between number 12 F and PB

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:07 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
Has he actually been assigned yet? I see he's still on the roster according to Oilers site and CapGeek.
I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't yet. We might just be doing this so he isn't claimed when Gags and Nuge are back and we have to make changes

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:31 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Probably the best worded post in the thread. Well done. I think a lot of us can agree on this despite some differences of opinion.

Brown for sure has had a better workman like attitude. The only question was whether a desperate Eager would approach or exceed that based on the situation he finds himself in. I bet Eager would have a decent year if he landed somewhere.
You know Replacement... The Oil are what, Eager's 5th NHL stop? At what point do you think it is okay to come to the conclusion that he may never become the kind of player that everybody wants/thinks/hopes he will be. The waiting is truly the hardest part. Especially in a results-based business. I think he's done.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
You know Replacement... The Oil are what, Eager's 5th NHL stop? At what point do you think it is okay to come to the conclusion that he may never become the kind of player that everybody wants/thinks/hopes he will be. The waiting is truly the hardest part. Especially in a results-based business. I think he's done.
Its odd because my opinion on the player wasn't very good when he got here. But at that time I saw a confused hockey player and individual who thought he was a whole lot better than he was and that could define how he wanted to play thinking he was valued and that the present club was potentially beneath him.

In short eager seemed less than enthused with being here and extending effort.

To wit I don't like this player or person. I just think he could be at the stage where he's desperate and willing to comply. OKC and what I saw from him in TC and preseason indicated increased purpose and willingness.

no biggy, I think theres a year or two left in Eager if somebody picks him up. Not much for fighting anymore but guy can play, skate quite well, get the odd line rush, and score up to 10 goals in a bottomsix capacity with limited minutes. Guy has never bled GA either. if somebody like this would be willing to bang regularly he could be quite effective.

Yes, I realize repeated invoking of "could".

If this is the end of eagers pro career cest la vie.

Old
10-03-2013, 06:41 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its odd because my opinion on the player wasn't very good when he got here. But at that time I saw a confused hockey player and individual who thought he was a whole lot better than he was and that could define how he wanted to play thinking he was valued and that the present club was potentially beneath him.

In short eager seemed less than enthused with being here and extending effort.

To wit I don't like this player or person. I just think he could be at the stage where he's desperate and willing to comply. OKC and what I saw from him in TC and preseason indicated increased purpose and willingness.

no biggy, I think theres a year or two left in Eager if somebody picks him up. Not much for fighting anymore but guy can play, skate quite well, get the odd line rush, and score up to 10 goals in a bottomsix capacity with limited minutes. Guy has never bled GA either. if somebody like this would be willing to bang regularly he could be quite effective.

Yes, I realize repeated invoking of "could".

If this is the end of eagers pro career cest la vie.
I had to miss "could" dangnabbit!!!
Yup, he's got the NHL wheels. And has even shown some NHL hands from time to time. What he seems to lack is an NHL brain. He could be a capable 'Raffi Torres' type player, and could the Oilers ever use a player like that... Perhaps he simply needs to accept himself first

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

The Oilers just recalled Ryan Hamilton. Did Eakins have second thoughts about sending down Hamilton and keeping Eager on the big club at the start of the season?

I thought Eager was the better player in the preseason.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 05:01 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The Oilers just recalled Ryan Hamilton. Did Eakins have second thoughts about sending down Hamilton and keeping Eager on the big club at the start of the season?

I thought Eager was the better player in the preseason.
What are the waiver rules going forward with hamilton? Does he have to be re-waived if sent down or is he good for a month?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:13 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What are the waiver rules going forward with hamilton? Does he have to be re-waived if sent down or is he good for a month?
I thought they only had to clear the one time. I could be wrong though

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:03 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I thought they only had to clear the one time. I could be wrong though
I think it's 10 games or 30 days before they have to go through waivers again. At least I think that's what it used to be. Someone correct that if it's changed.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote