HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[MIN] Wild sign Jason Pominville to contract extension (5 years, $5.6M AAV)

Old
10-03-2013, 12:21 PM
ThatGuy22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
That's fine for next year, but in 3-4 years when Brodin/Granlund/Nino/Coyle are on or looking for their 2nd contracts, I'd rather not dump guys in their mid-20's because we have too many guys in their 30's making a lot of money. We are right on the edge of my comfort level right now, adding Vanek to that pushes it over the edge.
We've got zero idea where the cap will be in 3-4 years to worry to much about it. Expansion, Outdoor games, Canadian TV contract, general inflation. We could easily be looking at 90 Million caps.

The ones that are worth it will get paid, the ones that aren't will get traded. Fletcher has been setting us up for a run, and his drafting strategy targeting long term college prospects shows he know he is going to be able to keep all the kids. Thats life.

I'd take 3 or 4 years of legitimate Stanley Cup Contender status over worrying about whats going to happen with the kids in 4 years.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaaaaron View Post
He's getting up there in age, but the contract is a good compromise for both sides.
He's 30. Not exactly a grey beard. I do agree on the fairness for everyone part though. Extension expiring at 36 is perfect.

Very happy with the cost and terms of the contract. $5.6M is a good deal for a guy that can easily put up 30 goals. We finally have a bonafide top line longterm. Glad this will not be a topic of discussion/distraction for the season.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Crosbylsmalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
We've got zero idea where the cap will be in 3-4 years to worry to much about it. Expansion, Outdoor games, Canadian TV contract, general inflation. We could easily be looking at 90 Million caps.

The ones that are worth it will get paid, the ones that aren't will get traded. Fletcher has been setting us up for a run, and his drafting strategy targeting long term college prospects shows he know he is going to be able to keep all the kids. Thats life.

I'd take 3 or 4 years of legitimate Stanley Cup Contender status over worrying about whats going to happen with the kids in 4 years.
we seem to agree quite a bit. you seem like great fella.

Crosbylsmalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post

That's not an excuse to spend recklessly. Still, with where our young talent is positioned (mostly forwards), if we are going to spend $6m+ on another player, I'd rather we bolster the blueline.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Shellz

Meh.... never really been a fan of Pominville.. I just think it's too much for him. I guess I will see how this plays out.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Crosbylsmalkin

Quote:
That's not an excuse to spend recklessly. Still, with where our young talent is positioned (mostly forwards), if we are going to spend $6m+ on another player, I'd rather we bolster the blueline.
but where are you getting that kinda defenceman. it's not like they hit UFA status everyday and if you get an UFA d you most likely have to overpay and if you are going to trade for one you lose your youngsters anyway.

but if player of Vaneks caliber wants to come to play for Minny I would sign him for sure and never look back. It is always possibility that not a single one of Granlund, Coyle, Nino or Zucker ever becomes a legit top6 player.

Crosbylsmalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
He's 30. Not exactly a grey beard. I do agree on the fairness for everyone part though. Extension expiring at 36 is perfect.

Very happy with the cost and terms of the contract. $5.6M is a good deal for a guy that can easily put up 30 goals. We finally have a bonafide top line longterm. Glad this will not be a topic of discussion/distraction for the season.
Easily? It's possible.. but, I wouldn't say it's easy for Pominville.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
I gotta side with the good Doctor in this friendly debate. Blueline is definitely our achilles and that should get high upgrade priority with our future cap space.

Quote:
Easily? It's possible.. but, I wouldn't say it's easy for Pominville.
He's done it before a couple of times. Not trying to imply 30 goals is a cake walk. Just saying Pominville is more than capable of the feat.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Stormcrow

Good contract. Pominville is a pretty consistent point producer and doesn't have alot of risk. The length is fair as well. Good deal for both player and franchise imo.

Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:36 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Good to see the Population will be focused on the season, and not distracted by contract speculation!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Its not spending recklessly. Fletcher certainly has a plan, as evidenced by his heavy draft of college prospects 4 years out. He wants to make a run now, with an influx of new prospect talent continuesly coming. We are set up like that.

I'm personally sick of worrying about 3 or 4 years down the road, its fine to have an eye on it. But if Vanek makes you a cup contender, which I think he does, you do it. Wild would have 3-4 years of contending, its worth it.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Everlong
-

Contract might be a tad expensive, but he's extremely underrated.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Now we can say the trade is worth it. Good signing for Minny.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:49 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
If the Wild could get Vanek on a reasonable term and cap hit...it actually frees them up to move someone like Zucker and Phillips and or a pick to get another top 4 defender.

Vanek plus anther top 4 D would make the Wild a true contender sooner rather than later.

Besides, the likeness of one of the kids reaching Vanek's current level...while possible, isn't that high.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:50 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Contract might be a tad expensive, but he's extremely underrated.
It's a very nice discount for a top 30 scorer year in and year out.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFox View Post
but where are you getting that kinda defenceman. it's not like they hit UFA status everyday and if you get an UFA d you most likely have to overpay and if you are going to trade for one you lose your youngsters anyway.
True, but if we can get a good late 20's 2nd pairing guy for ~ $4.5 and get comparable production from the 1 or 2 young guys that we were able to keep, I think that would be a better route to take.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:51 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Meh.... never really been a fan of Pominville.. I just think it's too much for him. I guess I will see how this plays out.
lolol

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
I actually had a dream last night that Pominville went to UFA and signed with the Habs... So random.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Kunitz sucks balls

This contract is a steal for Minny. He would have gotten 6-6.5 if he hit the open market.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:04 PM
WreckItRask

Career averages: 26G/39A/65P...$5.5Mil/year is a good deal in today's NHL, so it's hard to see his game dropping off precipitously enough to make this look bad as the cap goes up.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Elvs

Good for Minnesota, Pominville is an underrated forward who can do a bit of everything (good defensively). He's not gonna score highlight reel goals using impressive dekes or anything, but the guy has a good shot and can find an opening behind the goalie.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:14 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Fair contract, probably would get 6 or a tad higher on open market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
It's a very nice discount for a top 30 scorer year in and year out.
uhh who's this?

Pominville was top 30 in points AND goals just once in the last five years

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:18 PM
theLongR0D
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobz89 View Post
Would you guys rather have Kessel at 8m a year or Pominville at 5.6?

why? just why?

theLongR0D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:26 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Career averages: 26G/39A/65P...$5.5Mil/year is a good deal in today's NHL, so it's hard to see his game dropping off precipitously enough to make this look bad as the cap goes up.
Yeah, Pommer has always been a very consistent player. Doesn't miss many games to injury, doesn't have a lot of ups and downs in productivity season-to-season, or even game-to-game usually.
He was wasn't great last year in Buffalo by his standards, but most of the team was atrocious, and he didn't play much during the lockout.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:45 PM
TOML

Player win.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote