HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2013, 12:26 PM
BramptonFan09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Saw most of the game.

There was a nice Sarnia goal early in the game, waived off with a high stick, did not think is should have been dis allowed. Keep Fox. McDavid and Brown together. Like I said that top line needs some grit and FOX is one of the toughest in the league, who can also put the puck in the net.

When you had Mcdavid, Brown and that Washington pick together, players were taking liberties on McDavid and Brown. Hodgson had a pretty good fight until the end, then the Sarnia player filled his face in, but the kid can hold his own. Wood can skate, but still gets pushed around like a pylon in both zones and in the corners.

Why the scratch with Felker ?? Dansk was good and that kid will be in the NHL within 2 years, all Sarnia goals were good no flukes.

OtterNews, OHL Fan and Brampton Fan, I still think Erie seriously needs a Top 2 puck moving D and then your team is complete. IF you can get a D, who can move the puck like that to your forwards, no one will stop ERIE and yeah I hate to admit it, even London will have their hands full. Looks like you have a surplus of decent forwards. You have to give to get, so I suggest you package, Harper, Felker and Throw in Wood and you will land Top two D. I also think if you look down your forward roster, with the exception of McDavid, Brown and Wood, you have the biggest (Size) forwards in the leauge.

Might go to the Windsor game tonight only an hour and half from home, will report if I do. But I still think Otters get that top 2 D man and you guys as going to the final, but that road goes through the Knights. Cannot wait for the first London vs. Erie Game.
I don't Felker is ready for the OHL and I think other teams feel the same way. It will cost a lot to get a high end defenseman, case in point cory Genovese who is a steady 3-4 defenseman cost connor crisp and Jimmy McDowell. Teams could use that trade as a precedent to get more for a 1-2 guy. teams do not win with a young Defense core that's a fact, last year Barrie (Dotchin, Oconnor, lepkowski, Laser, yuill. Ekblad) the only second year guys on the team were first round picks the year before. London (Zadorov, Matta, Harrington, Hughes, sefton, mermis) all older guys.
As much as I would hate to see him go I think getting a high end dman will cost something like Darren Raddysh, Hayden Hodgson, and a second. It could be why he's playing on the top pair maybe they are shopping him. Don't get me wrong he is an outstanding young player but if you want a high end guy that's what it will cost., they need defenseman who can keep the puck out of our net first but also be decent with the puck. Example Trevor carrick, Craig dunnick, Tyler ganly, Marcus micivor, luke mercer. Pelech, Abraham and Dermott all move the puck prett well and they aren't liabilities defensively.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:45 PM
BramptonFan09

I think Grahame would be a good pick up as well but I'm not sure if he'll be available. Who know what is in basins plan.

Old
09-28-2013, 07:14 PM
OHLFan8771

Appears this game is close to being over half way through the second. Watching on livestream and Williams has not been good at all. six goals on 15 shots with at least four that were savable to say the least.

Old
09-28-2013, 07:20 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Pretty disgraceful performance all-around thus far though. Total lack of energy, I'm quite disappointed, especially after the way this team played through the first four games.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:22 PM
KnightSpit

Was at the Windsor vs. Erie Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Pretty disgraceful performance all-around thus far though. Total lack of energy, I'm quite disappointed, especially after the way this team played through the first four games.
The Rink: First Class all the way, almost feels like an NHL arena was two thirds full.

Forwards: Curtis, what a blast. Probably could have used more back checking and hitting through the neutral zone. Windsor was able to set up pretty good at centre Ice.

D: Felker got some decent Ice Time and looked not too bad.

Goaltending: Lot's of odd man rushes, some shots and goals were from far out, but there were some screens. Williams did make a few nice stops at certain points.

Long Road Trip: Maybe just a bit tired. Guess Erie gets a nice rest until your home opener. I think tonight you scratched, Evans, Murphy, Weigl, and Maskimovich at least that is what I thought.

Trades: Still think you need that TOP TWO puck moving D and they are out there, but it will cost probably 2 forwards and a pick, or a forward and maybe Felker.

So Far: Hey Erie is looking not too bad at all, much better than last. So to those die hard Erie fans, is your owner gonna make a trade or what ??

Old
09-29-2013, 08:15 AM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Just watched the highlights, its not quite as bad the score indicates. Team certainly was tired but I still won't make excuses for the lack of effort in that killer second period. Willaims looked pretty bad though. Had to give Dansk some rest, but I can't help but think if Dansk was in the net we probably would have won that game. Williams is better than that, only got one preseason game so he needs to sometime to shake off the rust. 2-2-1-0 is not a bad start at all, better than last season. This week off will be good and they should get their s*** together with this practice time. Looking forward to the home opener.

Old
09-29-2013, 09:26 AM
bigdogsnipedaddy

Have to agree. Team looked very tired for most of the game. Regular reliable players looked anything but most of the night.
Not sure if anyone else has seen what I have the first few games, but I think Pelech is struggling many times through the course of games. He logs alot of time and needs to be A+ for this team to be successful.
Fox to me has been the mvp for the team up to this point; the guy does everything out there. Hopefully Williams will get some confidence after that one last night. Thought Betz showed alot of heart in limited ice time last night.

Old
09-29-2013, 10:23 AM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogsnipedaddy View Post
Have to agree. Team looked very tired for most of the game. Regular reliable players looked anything but most of the night.
Not sure if anyone else has seen what I have the first few games, but I think Pelech is struggling many times through the course of games. He logs alot of time and needs to be A+ for this team to be successful.
Fox to me has been the mvp for the team up to this point; the guy does everything out there. Hopefully Williams will get some confidence after that one last night. Thought Betz showed alot of heart in limited ice time last night.
Agree he has struggled. Williams didn't looked good especially on the 3 and 4th goal. I don't they should have Raddysh with Pelech he is too young and his body isn't physically mature enough to play that much night in and night out. I think it could be hurting his development. Dermott, Abraham, and Donnay all looked pretty good last night, especially Dermott that kid is going to be a stud. As for the others not so much. Geneovese could get a suspension as well as Harper which call for some changes. I'd like to see Abraham move up with Pelech on the top pair and Raddysh move down with Felker or Dermott if CG is suspended. SA has been steady in all 5 games why not move him up. I've really liked the Dermott Donnay pair!

For me me fox has been a rock as well as mike Curtis! What a pickup! I hope this team isn't the one team every year that has all the talent but can't seem to stay healthy. That would be a real shame!

Old
09-29-2013, 10:51 AM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Just one bad game, can't let it take away the progress the team made in the first 4. I agree we need a top 2 guy to play with Pelech to help take the pressure off. Genovese-Abraham and Dermott-Donnay are good for the bottom two pairings but Pelech needs someone with him to help out and make us a more complete team. Raddysh is a good bottom pairing guy at this time but he's not ready to be a top 2 dman.

Hopefully we stay healthy, only injury left is Wigle. We stay healthy and pick up that dman and I firmly believe we get home ice in the first round.

Harper and Genovese more than likely will get suspended. Hoping Knoblauch goes with

Pelech-Abraham
Dermott-Donnay
Felker-Raddysh

for the pairings. Also think we should have Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown practice together this week and give them a whole game Saturday to see what they can do. Go with Fox-Curtis-Strome on the second I think. Third line of Wood-Pettit-Betz should be changed. Havent produced anything offensively thru five games and we need a little more secondary scoring. Maybe Hodgson can provide it. Also think Murphy should be on that third line instead of Wood, not a fan of Wood. Hope Knoblauch gets Evans and Maksimovich back in the lineup as well. Stay calm and patient otters fans, this team still needs to learn. 2-2-1-0 is not a bad start, given all five games were on the road and most of the opponents were at the very least decent teams. Remember last season we started 1-4, the last game being an 8-1 rout by a not very good Ottawa team.

Old
09-30-2013, 07:26 AM
bigdogsnipedaddy

Dermott has played his off-side in some exh games and he would be a good choice to play the right side if needed. I hope Felker can find his game; I am rooting for him.
Sounds like Saturdays home opener should be alot of fun with the street party and am very excited about checking out the EIA after renovations have been completed. Heard that the new jerseys will be used on Saturday night! Simpler colour scheme...they look great!

Old
09-30-2013, 06:54 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Just one bad game, can't let it take away the progress the team made in the first 4. I agree we need a top 2 guy to play with Pelech to help take the pressure off. Genovese-Abraham and Dermott-Donnay are good for the bottom two pairings but Pelech needs someone with him to help out and make us a more complete team. Raddysh is a good bottom pairing guy at this time but he's not ready to be a top 2 dman.

Hopefully we stay healthy, only injury left is Wigle. We stay healthy and pick up that dman and I firmly believe we get home ice in the first round.

Harper and Genovese more than likely will get suspended. Hoping Knoblauch goes with

Pelech-Abraham
Dermott-Donnay
Felker-Raddysh

for the pairings. Also think we should have Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown practice together this week and give them a whole game Saturday to see what they can do. Go with Fox-Curtis-Strome on the second I think. Third line of Wood-Pettit-Betz should be changed. Havent produced anything offensively thru five games and we need a little more secondary scoring. Maybe Hodgson can provide it. Also think Murphy should be on that third line instead of Wood, not a fan of Wood. Hope Knoblauch gets Evans and Maksimovich back in the lineup as well. Stay calm and patient otters fans, this team still needs to learn. 2-2-1-0 is not a bad start, given all five games were on the road and most of the opponents were at the very least decent teams. Remember last season we started 1-4, the last game being an 8-1 rout by a not very good Ottawa team.
How many games do you think Harper gets for the slew footing misconduct.

Old
09-30-2013, 06:56 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
How many games do you think Harper gets for the slew footing misconduct.
Unless he is a repeat offender I would say 1 game

Old
09-30-2013, 07:00 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Unless he is a repeat offender I would say 1 game
He isn't a repeat offender. Genovese on the other hand may sit a few games though.

Old
09-30-2013, 07:04 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
He isn't a repeat offender. Genovese on the other hand may sit a few games though.
I can see 5-10 games for Genevese,Bilcke was cut for 10 stitches because of the crosscheck not from the fight

Old
09-30-2013, 07:36 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I can see 5-10 games for Genevese,Bilcke was cut for 10 stitches because of the crosscheck not from the fight
I was watching the game on livestream but walked away for a minute and missed the crosscheck. With out even seeing it I agree with you. In the OHL a crosscheck to the mouth that causes 10 stitches is probably around 10 games.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
NHL Fanatic

Harper gets 1 game, & Genovese 5 games

Old
10-01-2013, 05:14 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

What? No posts about how the Erie players get off lightly with their suspensions?

Old
10-01-2013, 05:24 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivy View Post
What? No posts about how the Erie players get off lightly with their suspensions?
Erie does not receive the ridicule on suspensions like London does. I think just the one game for Harper is fine. It was a marginal slew foot to begin with which is why he only got the one mandatory game. As for Genovese I think five games is fair for the cross check. He got him up high and Bilcke needed 10 stitches.

Old
10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivy View Post
your boy Maxie got 4 games plus the 2/3 of the game in which the elbow occurred.
that equals the five Genevese got

fair to say from all the talk about cracking down they both got off light

Over and done time to move on .

Old
10-03-2013, 01:32 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Harper suspended for one game, missing home opener Saturday obviously. Also Genovese with that five game suspension we talked about (for the record, I think he got off lightly). Also, Wigle has returned to full contact practice but will not play Saturday. I imagine the lineup is something like:

Fox-McDavid-Brown
Burakovsky-Curtis-Strome
Wood-Pettit-Betz
Maksimovich-Evans-Murphy

Pelech-Abraham
Dermott-Donnay
Felker-Raddysh

Dansk will likely be in net. I imagine at least one more cut will come, but obviously can't happen now because of the two suspensions and Wigle still recovering from his shoulder injury.

Also it's been reported that around 5,000 tickets have been sold so far. With the walk-up tickets it should be a sell out, very excited for the game.

Old
10-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Got tickets for myself and 3 other co-workers in section 211 rows Y and Z. Erie Insurance Arena looks awesome and I can't wait.

Old
10-04-2013, 03:11 PM
KnightSpit

Saturday Game and Line Up

Quote:
Harper suspended for one game, missing home opener Saturday obviously. Also Genovese with that five game suspension we talked about (for the record, I think he got off lightly). Also, Wigle has returned to full contact practice but will not play Saturday. I imagine the lineup is something like:

Fox-McDavid-Brown
Burakovsky-Curtis-Strome
Wood-Pettit-Betz
Maksimovich-Evans-Murphy

Pelech-Abraham
Dermott-Donnay
Felker-Raddysh

Dansk will likely be in net. I imagine at least one more cut will come, but obviously can't happen now because of the two suspensions and Wigle still recovering from his shoulder injury.

Also it's been reported that around 5,000 tickets have been sold so far. With the walk-up tickets it should be a sell out, very excited for the game.
OtterNews

Like your line up. I agree with you, they need to get Maksimovich and for sure Murphy back in the line up. Those two guys offer size and hands and if as you say the third line has not produced a single point, what have they got to lose. Didn't Murphy get points in both the pre-season and regular season ?

I am still wondering if you think Erie is going to seriously go after that top 2 D man ? If so do you package a couple of forwards, say Wood and Evans and maybe throw in a pick, or do you package a forward with one of your D, kinowing you will be getting a D in return ? Also Erie is carrying only 7 D, don't most in the OHL carry 8, for injuries et.,unless they still consdier Murphy a D, although they play the kid at Forward now. Hopefully you will have a full report on your new arena, even the concessions, like have the food prices gone up, how much is the beer and what is the quality of the food. All very important issues LOL !!!!

If your report is good and I am sure it will be gonna try and convince a group of buddies to hit Erie and take in a game and the bars for a road trip. How's the single women action in town LOL !!!

Old
10-04-2013, 03:45 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Just realized I had a total brain collapse and forgot to include Hodgson in my lineup. Found out today that the top two lines WILL be:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Fox-Curtis-Hodgson

So you'll see Strome and Pettit on that third line, like you said KnightSpit I'd like to see Murphy on that right wing. Also want Maksimovich back in the lineup, I prefer him over Evans honestly. Evans is good defensively sure but he doesn't see any PK time because we use Pettit/Fox/McDavid/Brown on the PK. From what I can tell, the arena looks fantastic. Ticket prices didn't go up much either, especially if you pre-buy them. They added a few concession stands and a restaurant up top for club-level, quality was always good so I can't imagine it got worse. Just hope the prices stayed reasonable.

Arena is in a good place to go to bars and such. Quite a few good bars from the arena, as for the single women action I couldnt tell you haha. Try out one of the nightclubs if you wish.

Cant wait for tomorrow night!

Old
10-06-2013, 11:43 AM
KnightSpit

ERIE vs. NORTH BAY (Brampton) Opening Night

For the first time I OHL Live Streamed the Opening Night Game

[B]Quality:[/B] Have any of you done so. The picture was OK, but the PA system and announcer was way too distorted. So I streamed the FOX Erie Radio Sports Otter's play by play, but it was 6 seconds behind the Live Stream. So that sucked.

Crowd Size: Was anyone there, it looked pretty full ?

Game: Curtis, that guy what a pick up, good hands and likes to play rough. In fact I think your new coach has a philosophy that all players must give and take a hit, or they are done as an OTTER? If that is the case, that is a great move.

Forwards: McDavid got a beauty highlight goal and just seemed to hold onto the puck forever until the goalie was at his mercy. Gotta Love FOX, man the Knights never should've let that guy get away. He is so involved in the game, both on offence and Defence. Otternews, I know you said Murphy should be back in the line up and he was. That line of Murphy, Evans and Strome, I think the 3rd line, was crashing and banging and creating all sorts of chances and I do not think they were scored against during the entire game. They should try and keep that line together, interesting to see what you will do when Harper gets back ?

Defence: Felker looked good and was being very aggressive on the puck and was throwing a few hits. Maybe the rust is finally off. Still think Erie needs to trade for that top 2 D man.

Food: So OtterNews or anyone else, were the concessions the same, less more and what do you guys charge for a beer now in Erie. In Windsor and London, you better bring your check book for one lousy warm beer and over priced food.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:15 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
For the first time I OHL Live Streamed the Opening Night Game

[B]Quality:[/B] Have any of you done so. The picture was OK, but the PA system and announcer was way too distorted. So I streamed the FOX Erie Radio Sports Otter's play by play, but it was 6 seconds behind the Live Stream. So that sucked.

Crowd Size: Was anyone there, it looked pretty full ?

Game: Curtis, that guy what a pick up, good hands and likes to play rough. In fact I think your new coach has a philosophy that all players must give and take a hit, or they are done as an OTTER? If that is the case, that is a great move.

Forwards: McDavid got a beauty highlight goal and just seemed to hold onto the puck forever until the goalie was at his mercy. Gotta Love FOX, man the Knights never should've let that guy get away. He is so involved in the game, both on offence and Defence. Otternews, I know you said Murphy should be back in the line up and he was. That line of Murphy, Evans and Strome, I think the 3rd line, was crashing and banging and creating all sorts of chances and I do not think they were scored against during the entire game. They should try and keep that line together, interesting to see what you will do when Harper gets back ?

Defence: Felker looked good and was being very aggressive on the puck and was throwing a few hits. Maybe the rust is finally off. Still think Erie needs to trade for that top 2 D man.

Food: So OtterNews or anyone else, were the concessions the same, less more and what do you guys charge for a beer now in Erie. In Windsor and London, you better bring your check book for one lousy warm beer and over priced food.
I pay for all the road games on livestream and I would say it is decent quality. Similar to a non HD picture on cable but I have never had a problem with the audio though.

The crowd was 5,711 not a sell out which is a bit disappointing but a big crowd that was pretty loud especially on Erie's first goal.

I thought Felker had a great game. All of the d-men made some mistakes at times last night but they battled back from it and that is what I like to see. Donnay and Abraham each had a turnover that reminded me of last season but they both hustled back to make up for it.

As far as the food goes it is pretty much the same in terms of selection. However there is a noticeable increase in the prices. I think a chicken basket used to be 6.50 and it is now 7.75 which I think is ridiculous. I used to get them but now I am just going to eat before the game. I did get nachos and they were average I would say. 4.00 and it comes with a lot of chips but not nearly enough cheese as usual.

Closed Thread