HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Price to Philadelphia?

Old
10-03-2013, 02:15 PM
simplysincere*

vCash: 500
Price (26 years old) for Voracek (23 years old), L. Schenn (23 years old) and Mason (25 years old), would be a good trade. We get three solid pieces coming back, and Philly gets a young elite starter they've wanted for decades.

Voracek will be a decent 30 goal scorer for years to come, 60-70 point producer. Schenn will be a great shutdown defenseman for years to come. A pairing of Emelin and Schenn would be one of the best shutdown pairing D in the league. Mason comes back our way, since we need a goalie who can play at least 50-55 games, and Budaj could play the rest. Mason gets one last chance to prove himself. This is the best scenario I could think of for both teams.

Even if Price is somewhat overrated, you don't just give him away for anything. We're better off keeping him, unless we get an offer we can't refuse. Price has the potential to be a top 5 goalie in the league, we just need a better D squad for Price to reach his peek. Skill-wise I'd say Price is the best in the NHL. But skill and success are both independents of each other. Skill can only bring you so far, and your team can only bring you so far too.

Last edited by simplysincere*: 10-03-2013 at 02:42 PM.
simplysincere* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Kirk Muller

For how crappy and failing half the board thinks Price is, its amazing he could even fetch a first let alone any of the offers.

Thats whats so hilarious. He is bashed for everything by many here, then think he should be traded for some amazing return.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:34 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
If they offered simmonds & couts I would do it
I would take Morin+1st before simmonds+couts. That's how good I think he'll be. I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. Love Carey but man that's too good an offer.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:44 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
No interest in Morin. Morin was one of Phillys first cuts at camp and has been below average since returning to the Q. Obviously Tinordi wasn't too hot in his first OHL season but Morin already has experience in the league and with the coach so there's no reason he shouldn't be doing well. I was going to cry if we drafted him at 25/would have been livid if we traded up at the draft. I was shocked(pleasantly surprised?) that someone took him just outside the top 10.

Simmonds is who I'd be looking at if we're getting anyone from Philly. The only way I'd trade for Couturier is if we have another deal lined up to trade Plekanec for a ransom(Like to New Jersey for Larsson+). I just don't think Sean is as good as people give him credit as being. The main reason we could use him is we don't have centers that can win faceoffs.
Sean is a legit big shutdown center already, screw plekanec and dd. You make that move and retool accordingly. Grab Fasth+ from Anaheim.

Morin is yoooouuuung and BIG. Let him develop some. Serious potential there.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Take this thread off plz.. Who in there right mind would trade price going into his prime. We waited all these years developing and now when he's entering his prime lets trade him sure Delma's will take over why not.

Habs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:05 PM
hockeyfan2k11

As critical as I am with Price...I don't trade him. I'd rather build the D first...then worry about moving him if he doesn't improve.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:07 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
For how crappy and failing half the board thinks Price is, its amazing he could even fetch a first let alone any of the offers.

Thats whats so hilarious. He is bashed for everything by many here, then think he should be traded for some amazing return.
He has a lot of value because of his potential. Not his play.

Old
10-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Rickkins

"Going into his prime"...???(done in my best "dead parrot" voice)

He's been "going into his prime" for the past several years...!!!

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
"Going into his prime"...???(done in my best "dead parrot" voice)

He's been "going into his prime" for the past several years...!!!
I'm guessing this is going to be the case until he gets there? Or are you suggesting he hit his prime already and it's all going to get worse for him?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:29 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Sean is a legit big shutdown center already, screw plekanec and dd. You make that move and retool accordingly. Grab Fasth+ from Anaheim.

Morin is yoooouuuung and BIG. Let him develop some. Serious potential there.
a future star, no doubt

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:54 PM
durojean

I'd even give a chance to Tokarski

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Bieber fever

yes lol goalie are overrated, the difference between price and budja is very small

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:01 PM
giovannicanella

Just to inject a interesting perspective to this thread...how about these concepts for your consideration...

Price if I recall was not given a NTC etc...

Ideally would you not prefer to trade outside of your Conference...

Michael Leighton made it to the SC finals, Niemi who before the cup was a year or two removed from second division Finland + zamboni driving part time for cash...the larger point is that a goaltender is not THE be it and end all fundamental component of a team...it is a part of a whole squad...we are only as strong as our weakest link, we are team, not Goalie X + 5 skaters...

No player is untouchable...if the price is right (no ill-intended pun there..), rob them blind and run, but remember the larger repercussions of team dynamics...chemistry, short term gain versus long term gain etc

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He has a lot of value because of his potential. Not his play.
But his play is crap and has a bad contract he doesn't live up too. Thats what you guys keep preaching. If it's the case, he doesn't have a lot of value as if coaches and scouts like you can see it, certainly pro GMS can see how flawed CP is.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:04 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
yes lol goalie are overrated, the difference between price and budja is very small
Goaltending is the most important position in Hockey.
It's on par with Quarterback in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are exceptional quarterbacks. Rodgers performs well without an OL.. Brady performs well without any weapons.. However, neither one of them can carry those teams all the way without support.

An exceptional goalie can get you far, win you games you should't win, but you can't win with just a goalie.

However, saying goaltending is overrated. No. You need an all-star team in front of a bad goalie to win it all. Even then, you're not guaranteed.. Niemi has shown after winning his cup that he's actually an above average goalie. Leighton sucked and that's why he let in the cup winning goal by Kane.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:27 PM
PunkinDrublic*

I have been critical about Price, but after some serious thinking. He is not the problem. The Habs defense is though. Bouillon bye bye, Diaz See ya later.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Bullsmith

Price's trade value is enormous, and based on his play the end of last season and the way he was fighting the puck in game one this year.... he ain't a sure bet. Be very, very difficult to actually trade him and there's no question we have no one who could be a #1 in his place. But it's more than a fair question. Price for Giroux is not a ridiculous trade, in and of itself. Price for Couturier and pieces.... no, couldn't do that.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:45 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
But his play is crap and has a bad contract he doesn't live up too. Thats what you guys keep preaching. If it's the case, he doesn't have a lot of value as if coaches and scouts like you can see it, certainly pro GMS can see how flawed CP is.
Perhaps, but his potential is through the roof and many people in the hockey world love him. Plus, he isn't bad, he just isn't great. You can still win games with him. He's just not going to steal you many.

Old
10-03-2013, 05:52 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Would you trade Price to Philadelphia for...

Sean Couturier + Samuel Morin + 1st round draft pick in 2014?

That trade would have made sense during the summer where the Habs could have traded for Bernier by sending Collberg or Pateryn or Ellis, or could have signed Smith from UFA.

Right now we're stuck with him till the end of the season and if he plays inconsistently his value will be less than what you asked for in this thread.

Last edited by onice: 10-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:08 PM
onice

Quote:

Denis savard was traded for chelios - a GM thought he was winning that trade.

Gomez was traded for McDonagh - another Mtl GM thought he was winning that trade.

Kaberle was traded for Spacek and yet another MTL genuis thought he was winning that trade.

Yeah, you're right. NHL GMs are all brilliant.

Maybe perception hasn't caught up with reality when it comes to Price.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:22 PM
HNS*

I would trade Price to any team.

HNS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:38 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
I would trade Price to any team.
Your genius will become legendary.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:39 PM
rockjngo

anything is possible but it would take alot.

You can start with
Brayden Schenn or Jakub Voracek
+ Wayne Simmonds or Sean Couturier
+ Samuel Morin

As much as I don't like they way Price is playing, I still think Price is the best player in the deal.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:44 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Goaltending is the most important position in Hockey.
It's on par with Quarterback in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are exceptional quarterbacks. Rodgers performs well without an OL.. Brady performs well without any weapons.. However, neither one of them can carry those teams all the way without support.

An exceptional goalie can get you far, win you games you should't win, but you can't win with just a goalie.

However, saying goaltending is overrated. No. You need an all-star team in front of a bad goalie to win it all. Even then, you're not guaranteed.. Niemi has shown after winning his cup that he's actually an above average goalie. Leighton sucked and that's why he let in the cup winning goal by Kane.
Let's just say that the gap between, say, Henrik Lundqvist and Alex Stalock is way smaller than the gap between Aaron Rodgers and Kevin Kolb.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:45 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs88 View Post
Take this thread off plz.. Who in there right mind would trade price going into his prime. We waited all these years developing and now when he's entering his prime lets trade him sure Delma's will take over why not.
For that package?
30 GM's out of 30.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote