HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington claims Alexander Urbom

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2013, 01:43 PM
  #76
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 11,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg1 View Post
who???????????????
Caps' media guy.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:43 PM
  #77
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven
 
TheCerebral1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 398
vCash: 500
Nice addition for Washington and a smart one. You can never have enough young defensemen.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:49 PM
  #78
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,892
vCash: 500
don't know why Feaster passed on this...

Winroba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:58 PM
  #79
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Capitals will have to waive him to send him down.

Devils are the only team who can send him down without waiving *if* they are the only team to make a claim.

So if the Caps waive him, the Devils can basically force another team to keep him in the NHL by putting in a claim. The only AHL team he would play for this year is Albany.
There could be a few other factors as well that would make the Devils have to waive him to send him down even if they reclaim him on waivers. It depends on how long he is with the Caps, many games he plays, and if a different team claims him in between. We saw this with Zach Boychuk last year.

Canes waived him and Pittsburgh claimed him. After a series of games, Pittsburgh waived him and Nashville (and Carolina) put in a claim, but Nashville was lower in the standings at the time so they were awarded the claim. After a bit longer, Nashville waived him and Carolina was the only waiver claim. Carolina then had to waive him yet again to send him down to Charlotte.

So Carolina didn't get to send him down without waiving him again even though they were the initial team to waive him. Not saying something like that will happen here, but it's not automatic that the Devils would be able to send him down without waivers if that happens in the future.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/2...ina-hurricanes

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  #80
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
There could be a few other factors as well that would make the Devils have to waive him to send him down even if they reclaim him on waivers. It depends on how long he is with the Caps, many games he plays, and if a different team claims him in between. We saw this with Zach Boychuk last year.

Canes waived him and Pittsburgh claimed him. After a series of games, Pittsburgh waived him and Nashville (and Carolina) put in a claim, but Nashville was lower in the standings at the time so they were awarded the claim. After a bit longer, Nashville waived him and Carolina was the only waiver claim. Carolina then had to waive him yet again to send him down to Charlotte.

So Carolina didn't get to send him down without waiving him again even though they were the initial team to waive him. Not saying something like that will happen here, but it's not automatic that the Devils would be able to send him down without waivers if that happens in the future.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/2...ina-hurricanes
Interesting considering that's not how the CBA puts it.

Quote:
13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.
Are you sure that Carolina was the only waiver claim the second time around?

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:06 PM
  #81
Devilsfan118
Registered User
 
Devilsfan118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Urbom is a slightly bigger, less experienced Fayne. Devils have an absolute logjam at D, and just don't really need him.

That being said, I wish they would've waived Harrold or Gionta (at least temporarily) while they figured out another solution for the D.

Devilsfan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:09 PM
  #82
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg1 View Post
who???????????????
Mclovin brother

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:27 PM
  #83
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Interesting considering that's not how the CBA puts it.



Are you sure that Carolina was the only waiver claim the second time around?
Yes, fairly certain, because otherwise someone would have just claimed them once Carolina put him on waivers again. Not sure if it is because he played more than 10 games since the initial waivers? or if Pittsburgh became the "original" owning club the 2nd time he was waived?

When Pittsburgh waived him, Rutherford said in the media they were the only team that could send him down without waivers if he was claimed only by the Canes. But then Nashville claimed him and was awarded the claim. When Nashville waived him, I remember us on the Canes board all debating whether he'd have to be waived or not, but he did.

It was kind of an unusual case though, so not saying that would happen here, just bringing up that there were factors in Boychuk's case where he wasn't able to pass through without waivers when he came back.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:37 PM
  #84
uncleben85
My face is my mask.
 
uncleben85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,265
vCash: 500
Not sure how he fell all the way down to washington...

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:50 PM
  #85
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Yes, fairly certain, because otherwise someone would have just claimed them once Carolina put him on waivers again. Not sure if it is because he played more than 10 games since the initial waivers? or if Pittsburgh became the "original" owning club the 2nd time he was waived?

When Pittsburgh waived him, Rutherford said in the media they were the only team that could send him down without waivers if he was claimed only by the Canes. But then Nashville claimed him and was awarded the claim. When Nashville waived him, I remember us on the Canes board all debating whether he'd have to be waived or not, but he did.

It was kind of an unusual case though, so not saying that would happen here, just bringing up that there were factors in Boychuk's case where he wasn't able to pass through without waivers when he came back.
Right.. did he play 10 games on the Canes after they claimed him from the Predators? that's what the rule says.. not 10 games from the original waiver, 10 games from the team reclaiming him.

pretty sure the original team would stay with the team that first waived him that season because that wouldn't make sense otherwise

could be that another team put a claim on him though.. so Carolina had to waive him again to send him down but that team decided not to make another claim? dunno

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:16 PM
  #86
trick9
Registered User
 
trick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post


I know he didn't have a terrific camp, but "by far the worst d-man" is an incredible hyperbole. He was decidedly better than guys like Bowey and Wey, let alone the guys who couldn't even make it into a pre-season game (Genoway, Flemming, Haar, Rissling, Lewington, etc.). Personally, I also think he looked better than Cajkovsky and Oleksy in pre-season action. Just because he was outplayed by Carrick, Schmidt, and Strachan doesn't mean he was the worst in camp.
Sorry maybe i expressed myself wrongly there. I only looked few of the last games where most of the guys you mentioned where no longer there. But my point is that he didn't really show anything in the camp that was worthy of an opening night spot.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:24 PM
  #87
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,670
vCash: 567
I had a feeling he'd get claimed.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:41 PM
  #88
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
Was never impressed by him when I saw him. Maybe has some upside, but usually the Devils know when to dump somebody.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:43 PM
  #89
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,647
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Was never impressed by him when I saw him. Maybe has some upside, but usually the Devils know when to dump somebody.
We didn't dump him at all. The roster was full and we were assigning him to the AHL.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:53 PM
  #90
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
Relatively dumped.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:24 PM
  #91
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Right.. did he play 10 games on the Canes after they claimed him from the Predators? that's what the rule says.. not 10 games from the original waiver, 10 games from the team reclaiming him.
No, he played no games for Carolina after coming back from Nashville.

Quote:
pretty sure the original team would stay with the team that first waived him that season because that wouldn't make sense otherwise
That was our assumption as well when he came back from Nashville, but they did have to waive him which confused us.

Quote:
could be that another team put a claim on him though.. so Carolina had to waive him again to send him down but that team decided not to make another claim? dunno
Maybe, but highly unlikely that anyone else put in a claim. Weird set of circumstances that had a lot of us confused as well last year. Anyhow, I doubt anything like that happens here. I don't ever recall a guy being waived 4 times by 3 different teams in a span of a month before.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:37 PM
  #92
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
don't know why Feaster passed on this...
Who are we going to send down? Bouma? Sven?

No point in picking up players off waivers unless they are going to be lights out.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:48 PM
  #93
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 13,388
vCash: 500
Shades of Strait/Lovejoy last season.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 08:32 PM
  #94
Volchenkovs Face
Registered User
 
Volchenkovs Face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 736
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
I wasn't sold on Urbom.. On the one hand he's huge and showed some potential.. On the other hand, I saw him in a few NHL games as well as some AHL games and he played very timid (especially in the NHL).. If the Caps can get him to play with more confidence this could be huge.. Really no risk for them so a smart pickup

Harrold is good to have because he can play forward in the event of an injury.. Maybe Gio should have been waived but they seem to like him a lot
I agree I wasn't sold on him either like some people but to lose him to waivers hurts.

I would have rather lost Harrold because we have too many forwards now so the likely hood we need Harrold to play forward this year is slim. Drop someone like Volch to the 7th spot and keep Urbom.

Volchenkovs Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 09:08 PM
  #95
Parise9Crosby87
Registered User
 
Parise9Crosby87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: boca raton florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
yeah i'm pretty upset about this move

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:09 PM
  #96
stingo
Registered User
 
stingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Good to have depth on the back end. Good pick-up.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.