HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2013, 02:22 PM
  #101
flyersfan018
Registered User
 
flyersfan018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,715
vCash: 50
Makes absolutely no sense. Put Talbot on line 4 and let a skilled guy play on the third line like Raffl.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
  #102
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,542
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be surprised if London tries to acquire Laughton for their Memorial Cup run.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
  #103
sa cyred
Offseason...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: Cuba
Posts: 16,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 17m
Homer calls center/winger Newbury an "energy guy" who will be on 4th line but can move up the ladder.Also can play on PK. #Flyers
11:31 AM - 3 Oct 13

Reminds me of the time when Homer signed Jody Shelley and said he could possibly play on the 3rd line.
He's just f'ing with us at this point.

Remember guys, he also said Lappy was a faceoff winning center...

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
  #104
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,685
vCash: 500
Why is everybody so worried about our 4th line when the major issue throughout preseason and in game 1 has been scoring?

Newbury is a pretty solid player overall when used in a sheltered role: hard-nosed, gritty, and can even score a little. He won't play more than 8-9 minutes a night on that energy line - no big deal at all.

Everyone seemed to be in love with Daroll Powe who had hands of stone and zero hockey sense. Newbury may not be as fast but he is decent in his own zone, even played the PK in the AHL.
McGinn is clearly out of shape and Raffl who might be a good fit for a top-9 role later in the season needs some seasoning in the AHL. Holmstrom hasn't played a regular season game for ages.... who else would be a better choice?


Last edited by dats81: 10-03-2013 at 02:37 PM.
dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:31 PM
  #105
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I doubt Gagne would refuse an offer. It's not like any other team has shown interest in him.

I actually got some news about Gagne yesterday. A buddy of mine goes to the gym with the neurologist that assessed Gags around the time where he may have signed with the Habs this off-season. What he said is that Gagné was one hit away from retirement and that is what ultimately had the Habs pass on his services. You've got to think that is probably the reason
we did as well. I'm disappointed for him, sad to go out this way, but his health is more important.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:33 PM
  #106
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 17m
Homer calls center/winger Newbury an "energy guy" who will be on 4th line but can move up the ladder.Also can play on PK. #Flyers
11:31 AM - 3 Oct 13

Reminds me of the time when Homer signed Jody Shelley and said he could possibly play on the 3rd line.
Reminds me of this:

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:34 PM
  #107
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
I actually got some news about Gagne yesterday. A buddy of mine goes to the gym with the neurologist that assessed Gags around the time where he may have signed with the Habs this off-season. What he said is that Gagné was one hit away from retirement and that is what ultimately had the Habs pass on his services. You've got to think that is probably the reason
we did as well. I'm disappointed for him, sad to go out this way, but his health is more important.
Well..if this is true the people like myself that said he was a big injury risk have been vindicated...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:35 PM
  #108
Harold Bingo
what
 
Harold Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
I actually got some news about Gagne yesterday. A buddy of mine goes to the gym with the neurologist that assessed Gags around the time where he may have signed with the Habs this off-season. What he said is that Gagné was one hit away from retirement and that is what ultimately had the Habs pass on his services. You've got to think that is probably the reason
we did as well. I'm disappointed for him, sad to go out this way, but his health is more important.
Your buddy isn't that same guy that said Luke Schenn only had one good eye, is he?

But, that does make some sense. Then again, why would Gagne be in pursuit of a contract if he knew of that risk?

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:37 PM
  #109
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,648
vCash: 500
Might as well pick up MacIntyre, Shelley, Parros and Scott to replace our 3rd line and Hall at center on the 4th line. **** you Homer.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:39 PM
  #110
Harold Bingo
what
 
Harold Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Reminds me of this:
Hahaha. I forgot about this video. So good and so true. "I'm not so good at math, I'm actually not so good at playing hockey either, or even fighting, I mean, have you seen me play?"

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:47 PM
  #111
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Your buddy isn't that same guy that said Luke Schenn only had one good eye, is he?

But, that does make some sense. Then again, why would Gagne be in pursuit of a contract if he knew of that risk?
Because he figured he could avoid contact and stay healthy....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:01 PM
  #112
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uberlandia
Country: Brazil
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
I think most of us can agree that Laughton needed to be back in juniors so he wasn't forced to play out of position and would get quality minutes. He looked good in some games but it would have been nice to see him get a game in the season at least.

I doubt newbury will be up with the flyers for all of that long. Talbot needs to be down on the fourth line and maybe one of McGinn, Raffl, Akesson, etc. gets off to a hot start and replaces talbot on the third line

I'm not as upset as some people over this...actually kind of used to these decisions by now

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:37 PM
  #113
Appleyard
HFB Partner
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,821
vCash: 500
I wanted Laughton sent back instead of be messed around by Lavi.

But this is silly, why was he kept around until opening night?

Did Holmgren think he should be on the team but Lavi refused to play him, or at least only about half of the games?

And Newbury? Damn, he is not a NHLer, yes, he scores in every other league he has ever played in, but is not good enough in the NHL.

Heck, give Raffl or Akeson a shot.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:42 PM
  #114
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,717
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I was all for Laughton going back to juniors...assuming that meant a third line winger was signed. Without that in place, I don't like the idea of sending him back, especially calling up Newbury. If it were Raffl, McGinn, or Straka or someone that at least maybe had a shot to contribute on the third line, I'd be a little more understanding. But Talbot IMO is not a good fit on that third line for the long term. I made a big fuss all off-season long about not going with an "unknown" on the third line instead of a guy like Gagne, but I would prefer the "unknown" to Talbot playing there.

I like Talbot. I think he's good at what he does. But what he does should be limited to the fourth line and PK duties. There better be a trade in the works.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:49 PM
  #115
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,648
vCash: 500
Funny how Newbury will either be scratched or play for 3 minutes and they will keep him up, but Laughton, who could put in at least 10 minutes a game has to go back to ****ing juniors. Gotta love it when management thinks a guy that has almost zero presence and almost zero playing time is worth more than a 1st round, skilled kid. **** off...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:53 PM
  #116
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
The best thing for Laughton is to send him down and get him out of the fustercluck that's happening in Philadelphia. Let him go tear it up in Oshawa, play a big role in the WJC tournament and then possibly go on a long run in the OHL playoffs. I'd rather have a real coach handle Laughton's development than have Laviolette sink his claws into him.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:54 PM
  #117
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 6,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Funny how Newbury will either be scratched or play for 3 minutes and they will keep him up, but Laughton, who could put in at least 10 minutes a game has to go back to ****ing juniors. Gotta love it when management thinks a guy that has almost zero presence and almost zero playing time is worth more than a 1st round, skilled kid. **** off...
They clearly believe that the best thing for Laughton is to play in the OHL rather than play on the 4th line for the Flyers. They aren't suggesting Newbury is better than Laughton, but for the sake of his development it's probably better he plays in Oshawa.

Ultimately the fact that they called up Newbury shouldn't really be that surprising (or this rage inducing you guys are seriously complaining about who they called up to be the 13th forward). They aren't going to go crazy and scramble the entire lineup after 1 game, so they call up a guy who's development won't be stunted by being the 13th forward for a week or two.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
  #118
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99
 
Cyborg LeClair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jurassic Park
Country: Papua New Guinea
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 400
Akeson looked like Giroux on the halfwall during preseason. I'd love to see him get a chance playing on the third line. Voracek should definitely be playing on the top line over B. Schenn. Read looked decent with Vinny and Simmer, but he looks good on any line. I don't think Talbot should be playing on the third line but rather the fourth.

I'm happy Laughton was sent down for another year of honing his skills and growing as a player, he doesn't need to be rushed. I agree, it is weird timing, but it's all probably as a result of Homer's cap dancing.

These are the lines I'd like to see:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-LeCavalier-Simmonds
Akeson-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:04 PM
  #119
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
Akeson looked like Giroux on the halfwall during preseason. I'd love to see him get a chance playing on the third line. Voracek should definitely be playing on the top line over B. Schenn. Read looked decent with Vinny and Simmer, but he looks good on any line. I don't think Talbot should be playing on the third line but rather the fourth.

I'm happy Laughton was sent down for another year of honing his skills and growing as a player, he doesn't need to be rushed. I agree, it is weird timing, but it's all probably as a result of Homer's cap dancing.

These are the lines I'd like to see:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-LeCavalier-Simmonds
Akeson-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo
I would be very happy with this line-up. I would also try Schenn with G and Jake. Hartnell with Vinny and Simmer were pretty good together in preseason and Schenn and Voracek had chemistry last season. I also think Couturier and Read could more then make up for Akeson's defensive short comings at ES, which I think really isn't much of an issue after his improvement last season. Talbot is much better suited on the 4th line and really shouldn't be in the top 9 unless he's filling in for one reason or another.

With that said, I'm OK with Newbury getting called up cause that means Rosehill will now be the 13th forward. The way I see it the line-up has been improved just not by much.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:06 PM
  #120
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,648
vCash: 500
Akeson would be pretty good for the 2nd PP unit being where Giroux is, since he is essentially G-lite when on the PP (same position on the ice).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:10 PM
  #121
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,542
vCash: 500
Despite what Homer says I have a feeling Newbury will see a game tops & Raffl will be back up in days.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:22 PM
  #122
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Despite what Homer says I have a feeling Newbury will see a game tops & Raffl will be back up in days.
That would be pretty stupid. Newbury will have to pass through waivers if sent back down and while him getting picked up (I know he just cleared last week but still) isn't a great loss by any stretch he is pretty good for ADK and shouldn't just be thrown away. Homer calling him up for just a game just to send him back down would be mind boggling.

I think they'll wait a little longer before calling someone (Raffl?) up and sending Kris back down.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:28 PM
  #123
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,607
vCash: 500
So when Newbury stinks up the joint, who will be called up to replace him?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:45 PM
  #124
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
So when Newbury stinks up the joint, who will be called up to replace him?
Probably whoever is playing best, hard to say at this point.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:53 PM
  #125
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
That would be pretty stupid. Newbury will have to pass through waivers if sent back down and while him getting picked up (I know he just cleared last week but still) isn't a great loss by any stretch he is pretty good for ADK and shouldn't just be thrown away. Homer calling him up for just a game just to send him back down would be mind boggling.

I think they'll wait a little longer before calling someone (Raffl?) up and sending Kris back down.
He's been sent up & down through out the last three seasons & hasn't been claimed. I doubt he's done much to warrant a team claiming out of the blue at this point.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.