HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Draft opinions - if your bored stiff............

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2004, 12:14 AM
jeff962b
Respect Demitra

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jeff962b
Draft opinions - if you're bored stiff............

Hey guys. I have a entry draft coming up in a league I am in that uses NHL 200 x (current year 2004)

Anyway, we are holding our draft TONIGHT. And I was wondering who ya think I should possibly take. I pretty much know who I would like, but respect a lot of opinions on this forum because I hold similiar ones with many.

Here is a link to available players..........4 rounds, 30 teams, 120 picks. I would venture to say atleast 25 guys are very smart when it comes to knowing who so and so is, whith the occasional guy taking some based on how EA rates them.

http://www.sinbin.ca/sb4draft/

I have pick #29, #33, #59, #71, #78, #83, #89 -- I made some deals since the draft pool is so deep.

I can tell you #1 - #6 will go...

Staal
Pitkanen
Horton
P. Bergeron
Fluery
Ryder (perhaps)

That is 99.9% for sure. Also guys that I am 99% sure will be gone by my pick at 29 are....

Hamhuis
Ruutu
Fahey
Dimitrakos
Kamisarek
Lupol - who I would like, thought he might fall down the order.
Michael Liles

A few others obviously.

I have some names in mind... Paul Martin, Sjostrom, Ortmeyer, Daley, and would like to grab Backman at #33.

Here is my current roster, if you can think of anybody off that draft list that may "fit" perfectly on that squad, please offer any opinion.

Glen Murray R $5,000,000.00
Zigmund Palffy R $5,000,000.00
Pavol Demitra R $3,850,000.00
Steve Sullivan C $3,850,000.00
Roman Hamrlik D $2,800,000.00
Mattias Norstrom D $2,500,000.00
Marco Sturm C $2,500,000.00
Steven Reinprecht C $2,000,000.00
Curtis Brown C $1,333,333.00
Toni Lydman D $600,000.00
Karlis Skrastins D $575,000.00
Jaroslav Modry D $525,000.00
Ivan Ciernik L $500,000.00
Evgeni Nabokov G $500,000.00
Bates Battaglia L $495,000.00
Pascal Dupuis L $400,000.00
Brad Chartrand R $375,000.00
Vaclav Nedorost C $300,000.00
Henrick Tallinder D $300,000.00
Ivan Huml L $50,000.00
Lynn Loyns C $30,000.00
Vesa Toskala G $30,000.00
Derrick Walser D $30,000.00
Duvie Westcott C $30,000.00

I would like to go with a "Doan" type forard round one, and D for sure round 2 if need be.

Again sorry for the long post. The 30 guys in this league look forward to this one night every year. And so much hinges on it I thought I would get any and all opinions I could.

Thanks again...........

Last edited by jeff962b: 01-12-2004 at 12:21 AM.
Old
01-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff962b
Hey guys. I have a entry draft coming up in a league I am in that uses NHL 200 x (current year 2004)

Anyway, we are holding our draft TONIGHT. And I was wondering who ya think I should possibly take. I pretty much know who I would like, but respect a lot of opinions on this forum because I hold similiar ones with many.

Here is a link to available players..........4 rounds, 30 teams, 120 picks. I would venture to say atleast 25 guys are very smart when it comes to knowing who so and so is, whith the occasional guy taking some based on how EA rates them.

http://www.sinbin.ca/sb4draft/

I have pick #29, #33, #59, #71, #78, #83, #89 -- I made some deals since the draft pool is so deep.

I can tell you #1 - #6 will go...

Staal
Pitkanen
Horton
P. Bergeron
Fluery
Ryder (perhaps)

That is 99.9% for sure. Also guys that I am 99% sure will be gone by my pick at 29 are....

Hamhuis
Ruutu
Fahey
Dimitrakos
Kamisarek
Lupol - who I would like, thought he might fall down the order.
Michael Liles

A few others obviously.

I have some names in mind... Paul Martin, Sjostrom, Ortmeyer, Daley, and would like to grab Backman at #33.

Here is my current roster, if you can think of anybody off that draft list that may "fit" perfectly on that squad, please offer any opinion.

Glen Murray R $5,000,000.00
Zigmund Palffy R $5,000,000.00
Pavol Demitra R $3,850,000.00
Steve Sullivan C $3,850,000.00
Roman Hamrlik D $2,800,000.00
Mattias Norstrom D $2,500,000.00
Marco Sturm C $2,500,000.00
Steven Reinprecht C $2,000,000.00
Curtis Brown C $1,333,333.00
Toni Lydman D $600,000.00
Karlis Skrastins D $575,000.00
Jaroslav Modry D $525,000.00
Ivan Ciernik L $500,000.00
Evgeni Nabokov G $500,000.00
Bates Battaglia L $495,000.00
Pascal Dupuis L $400,000.00
Brad Chartrand R $375,000.00
Vaclav Nedorost C $300,000.00
Henrick Tallinder D $300,000.00
Ivan Huml L $50,000.00
Lynn Loyns C $30,000.00
Vesa Toskala G $30,000.00
Derrick Walser D $30,000.00
Duvie Westcott C $30,000.00

I would like to go with a "Doan" type forard round one, and D for sure round 2 if need be.

Again sorry for the long post. The 30 guys in this league look forward to this one night every year. And so much hinges on it I thought I would get any and all opinions I could.

Thanks again...........
If Lupol is not available then I would seriously look at Alexander Semin of the Caps. He has size, vision and good hands.

On D, two names come at me, Pitkanen - very well thought of prospect and Backman. Backman has serious potential. I also looked for Kronwall of Detroit he wasn't on the list. I would take Kronwall over Backman if available.

Old
01-12-2004, 02:48 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Jeff,
Just took a list of the players available and a few jumped out at me aside from the ones you mentioned. I'm just doing it alphabetically.

G Ari Ahonen
He's a good sized goalie with excellent reflexes. He keeps getting better and shows flashes of brilliance. Although Brodeur is firmly entrenched ahead of him, Ahonen is a great long-term prospect and because of Brodeur's status, Ahonen might be able to slip into the 2nd round.

G Jason Bacashihua
Cash has had some really bad moments and some great moments. Completely inconsistent so far in his pro career, his stats have gotten a lot better in the last couple of weeks and he could become a stellar goaltender. Of course he could become a complete flop so I wouldn't spend anything more than a late 2nd or early 3rd pick on him.

D Christian Backman
I'll admit I wasn't sold on him while others here were semi-praising him, and I'm still not but he's raised significantly in my eyes. He's in the 6-3 range but he's still lanky. He could stand to beef up considerably but if he did he'd be a steady defensive presence and taught right could be a good 3/4 defenceman, but I wouldn't go much farther than that.

RW Dustin Brown
I was a little astonished that he dropped out of a predicted top-ten in the '03 NHL draft, but what can you do? He won't be the best player on any team, but he's a good one to have. He'll be at least a solid 2-way player, but he could be a consistent 20-goal scorer in the NHL. Good energy especially.

RW Brent Burns
He's a big kid who still needs to adjust to his size, but his play at the WJC's for Canada did a lot of talking. He'll probably still put about 20-25 pounds on his 6-4 195 body, and could be a force to be reckoned with. I don't know how much we should credit Jeff Carter and Ryan Getzlaf for Burns' offensive output, but he is certainly big. He could be the Doan type of player you're looking for in the 1st round if he's still around, which he probably won't be.

G Ray Emery
Emery is almost as big as Burns. There's no reason why he should last past the first round IMO, but others may feel differently. Like Ahonen, he's got a top-notch goalie ahead of him, but he's every bit the prospect that Ahonen is.

C Danny Fritsche
I was amazed that he went as late as he did (as well as Patrick O'Sulllivan) in the draft. He'll be a solid 2-way no doubt and could possibly be a solid #1 center if everything were to fall in place. I figured he'd go in the 20-30 spot. He could be a sleeper for someone.

D David Hale
He's 6-2 210 and he's a solid defensive defensman learning from the best. I don't think he'll be as good as Stevens or as Dion Phaneuf will be, but he's solid. Hale and Paul Martin should be the top defensive pairing in Jersey in a couple of years. Should be a "Big Hitter" by the time NHL2006 rolls around. :p

G Pascal Leclaire
His stock dropped last year as a result of an almost offensive season with Syracuse in the AHL, but he could still be a big time goalie. Good instincts and another big man at 6-2.

D Tomas Malec
Malec has apparently looked lost at most times with Lowell in the AHL, but he's still young. He skates well, makes sound decisions offensively and defensively (well last year he did anyway), and has a good projectable size at 6-2. I love the kid, but he probably will be more of a 3/4 type in the NHL, but a good one.

D Paul Martin
I took him in my sim league in the 2nd round at about 55th overall. IMO that's a steal. Given the right environment such as the Devils (especially with vets like Stevens and Niedermayer around), Martin could become a Niedermayer-ish player, though I'd hesitate to put him at the same calibre. TSN.ca has him at 6-2 195, but I'm sure that in a couple of years he'll be around the 205-210 mark. Good for long-term and short-term.

D Brooks Orpik
He'll never be an NHL offensive superstar (or even a scoring threat for that matter) but he's a big punishing hitter and plays good defensive hockey and is learning at a good rate. He went 18th overall in 2000, but could fall to the 2nd in your draft.

RW Jordin Tootoo
There isn't a single person out there that isn't happy for Jordin Tootoo and what he's done. He's a first-class hitter and a great agitator, but please please please please PLEASE don't overrate him. He'll be a third or fourth liner for life.

EDIT - Good luck and I hope you got this in time!

Old
01-12-2004, 08:16 PM
jeff962b
Respect Demitra

Kubina Fan, thank you so very much for the information you gave me. I got it in time, and man what a help.

Now for the sad part.....I think everyone must have seen your post as well. I swear to God, everytime I was ready to take someone you mentioned, boom 1-4 picks before, gone.

Paul Martin was taken by my good friend in Stl with the pick right before me if I remember correctly.

But in case you're wondering, here is what I ended up with............I'm happy with it, but not jumping up and down. I guess I would give it a B grade for my draft.

Sjostrom
Backman
Preissing
Spiller
Ortmeyer
Walker, Matt
Moen

Also Tootoo I wanted, but I just like Sjostrom a bit more. Funny thing, Tootoo was grabbed right after Sjostrom, and we both messaged the other and said....it was between the 2 players. Funny how everyone was thinking the same things a lot of times. If you are curious and want to see the way it went........in easy form. Just click the link up top that I provided.

And again.............THANK YOU !!!

Old
01-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
D Paul Martin
I took him in my sim league in the 2nd round at about 55th overall. IMO that's a steal.
Suglobov!

~Crazed.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Ejh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
Jeff,

G Pascal Leclaire
His stock dropped last year as a result of an almost offensive season with Syracuse in the AHL, but he could still be a big time goalie. Good instincts and another big man at 6-2.
It might be a little late, but for future reference and to help you make some trades... or whatever...

Pascal did have a bad year last year... but he was often left alone with no D help. As well the CBJ changed the type of pads he used... and made some other minor changes to his playing style...

He has seemed to really turn around his game this year... with a much improved SV%. He wont likely start for columbus next year... but he may challenge. I would guess that he will spend next year as the #1 in Syracuse, and see call-ups... or injury duty.

I can also give some info on the CBJ players...

You have Walser and Westcott. If you must decide between these two at any point. Take Wescott. Walser is at odds with the CBJ right now... and is in the AHL. Walser thinks too highly of himself... and has an attitude problem... Here is an article about this...

Wescott has been a very, very pleasant surprise. The CBJ, since Westcott has been with the team, and playing... is 3 game under .500. Thats saying alot. Wescott, is a relatively unknown commodity... but is a great player to have.

Fritsche has been sent back to Sarnia for the rest of the season. But I would guess that he will make the team out of camp next year. He will have every chance to do so. He is a solid player already. Gritty... likes to play physical. Should be a good player in a few years...

Old
01-14-2004, 07:05 PM
jeff962b
Respect Demitra

Guys, I cannot thank you enough for this advice. I really enjoyed the heads uo from Kubina, and loved the tip about Leclaire in net and what to do with Walser and Westcott.

In case EJH18 reads this, it's kinda funny really. Walser is rated by EA fairly decent and is my #7 man. Westcott however is worthless in the game, has horrible attributes. Hopefully with his play this current season that will effect how he is rated in future versions.

Sorry if some of the regular forum guys like c-carp, weight, etc and tired of this post hehe. I just value some opinions here is all

Old
01-15-2004, 03:48 AM
Ejh18

IT doesnt surprise me that Wescott is rated lower than Walser. No one knows about Wescott... He has missed 32 games this year with a ankle injury... and only played 39 games last year.

Walser on the other hand, has great offensive potential... but doesnt know what Defense is... Mini Delmore.

There was actually an article in the Columbus Dispatch today, talking about how well the team does with Duvie in the line up. Dispatch Story.

Old
01-15-2004, 06:10 AM
Nick Blue

Kubina, you're underestimating Backman. He will be a solid #2 and would be great paried with Jackman.

Old
01-15-2004, 06:45 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
Kubina, you're underestimating Backman. He will be a solid #2 and would be great paried with Jackman.
While I agree with you, I think it's understandable that people still have their doubts.

Old
01-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
While I agree with you, I think it's understandable that people still have their doubts.

Its understandable that people are misinformed?

Old
01-16-2004, 07:23 AM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
Its understandable that people are misinformed?
I think it's just understandable that some people, such as myself, feel that Backman seems to have come out of so-so prospect land to do well. Let us all remember that 40 games does not a good career make. Just ask Ken Hodge Jr.

Closed Thread