HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gaborik @ the trade deadline

Old
10-03-2013, 03:14 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
My guess is IF he was traded, CBJ would net a first and a good prospect.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would love him on the Canucks, but was there any tension between him and Tortorella whule he was on the Rangers?
Yes.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Savant

Torts ran Gaborik out of town. Unfairly in some people's opinions. I don't think the Rangers would have made the playoffs last year without the Gaborik for Brassard Moore and Dorsett trade. If Gaborik is moved again it will probably be for similar, especially as a rental.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:17 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
Yeah I know, depends how he plays...

If he's playing well and on pace for another 40 goal season.
What would his value be worth?

He's in his final year so there is also the question of his worth as a rental.
If he sucks and is on pace for 20 goals, or if he gets injured or something.
And he would be a great pickup for a team going to the post season.
It's not like he's ever played poorly in the playoffs
But none of that would ever happen to Gabby right
And a player of his caliber & professionalism would never demand to be traded, right
Anyways, what would his value be worth (draft picks welcomed here @ Camp Kekalainen) if he's back to his old form?

*CBJ needs are RH defense-men, top 6 left wingers* -IMO
Were you trying to be sarcastic there? Because as a Rangers fan, he was extremely classy the entire time he was here. I am a huge fan of this guy and hope he scores 100 points this year. Class player, great goal scorer, all around easy guy to root for.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Dema

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Were you trying to be sarcastic there? Because as a Rangers fan, he was extremely classy the entire time he was here. I am a huge fan of this guy and hope he scores 100 points this year. Class player, great goal scorer, all around easy guy to root for.
Oh, I just assumed with the stories about his final year with the Wild.
Among the other rumors when Jarmo acquired him at the deadline.

Maybe I just have a bad opinion of the player.
I don't get the ? sense ? of him wanting to be here.
And he doesn't seem to fit. IDK just my opinion.

Only thing I heard was from AP about them agreeing to wait till after the season has started (I presume "before the deadline") but don't have a link to it. It was on one of the cannon fodder episodes if I remember correctly.

Dema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:56 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would love him on the Canucks, but was there any tension between him and Tortorella whule he was on the Rangers?
lol there was big tension. gabs hates torts.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:07 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Oh, I just assumed with the stories about his final year with the Wild.
Among the other rumors when Jarmo acquired him at the deadline.

Maybe I just have a bad opinion of the player.
I don't get the ? sense ? of him wanting to be here.
And he doesn't seem to fit. IDK just my opinion.

Only thing I heard was from AP about them agreeing to wait till after the season has started (I presume "before the deadline") but don't have a link to it. It was on one of the cannon fodder episodes if I remember correctly.
He didn't want to stay in Minny. Took a paycut to go to NY. I think Minny offered him like an 8 or 10 year deal initially.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Dema

Quote:
He didn't want to stay in Minny. Took a paycut to go to NY. I think Minny offered him like an 8 or 10 year deal initially.
Yeah, I know...

Dema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:31 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Yeah, I know...
Not sure who you're a fan of, but if it's CLB, you should be extremely proud to have him on your team. He's a fantastic, hard working player.

It was Torts that was the problem with him. Torts was bothered by anyone who didn't hit people hard or get down and block shots 24/7.

Gabs isn't that type of player, but he scores goals and he did that an awful lot as a Ranger.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:32 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I believe I heard Gaborik wants to stay in Columbus because of the media hype he had in NY. Aren't the Jackets in talks with him about contract extension at the moment?
Unless something happened recently, a couple of weeks ago, Jarmo said he hasn't started talks yet. Looks like he will wait until the season to start to see how he performs before he opens up talks. Hopefully Gaborik stays.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by I May Be Wrong View Post
Didn't Jarmo speak to Gaborik before even officially trading for him to make sure that he wanted to be in CBJ because of the eventual reality of his 1 year left on his deal? Don't see him being dealt, otherwise what was the point of acquiring him?
Part of the issue is knowing whether or not his playing style will truly be effective here and whether or not his insane injury days are behind him. That (so far as I can tell) is why he hasn't been resigned immediately.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:20 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think Gaborik might flourish in Columbus. Depends on how he and the team do this season.

10-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by I May Be Wrong View Post
Didn't Jarmo speak to Gaborik before even officially trading for him to make sure that he wanted to be in CBJ because of the eventual reality of his 1 year left on his deal? Don't see him being dealt, otherwise what was the point of acquiring him?
He had a NTC so he would have had to agree to be traded here. As bad as he wanted out of NY, I don't think he would have waived to go just anywhere so I'm sure there would have been some discussion with him around his role in a desire to be a part of the team in order for him to waive.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:54 PM
alphafox

Unlike a number of my fellow Jacket fans I think Gaborik will be the on the block at the trade deadline unless he is absolutely vital to the team (As in we are winning games 5-4 instead of 2-1). I think that there are a few reasons for that.

1. Contract. I think that Gaborik is going to be looking for money around 7 million for 5+ years which for a guy who at the end of his prime (31) is simply too much. There is a huge difference giving a superstar a long term contract @ 27 vs @ 32.

2. Team window. By the time the Jackets are really ready to compete for cups Gaborik will be on the downside of his career and I don't know that he will spend the last of his prime years waiting for the team around him to mature. Additionally, the team may prefer to continue the rebuild by adding additional young players to their core, either through picks or by addition of another forward in their mid twenties.

3. Playstyle. The Jackets are at this point a "blue collar" team that's small amount of success is based completely on team buy in to a hard forechecking style, not something that Gaborik is known for (though he did play well under the strict structure of torts in NY). This could either be very complimentary too the team(easy goal scoring is always welcome) or it could be something that takes divides him from the team.

As for return I think that the Jackets would be looking for someone like a Bobby Ryan for a pacakge of Gaborik and a 2014 1st. Someone that would be able to replace Gaborik's production while also becoming a part of the Jackets core. Alternatively if we are talking Gaborik straight up I would imagine something like a blue chip prospect and a 1st round pick in 2015.

(This is all assuming Gaborik in 40 goal form)

Last edited by alphafox: 10-04-2013 at 03:27 PM.
alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:18 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Unlike a number of my fellow Jacket fans I think Gaborik will be the on the block at the trade deadline unless he is absolutely vital to the team (As in we are winning games 5-4 instead of 2-1). I think that there are a few reasons for that.

1. Contract. I think that Gaborik is going to be looking for money around 7 million for 5+ years which for a guy who at the end of his prime (31) is simply too much. There is a huge difference giving a superstar a long term contract @ 27 vs @ 32.

2. Team window. By the time the Jackets are really ready to compete for cups Gaborik will be on the downside of his career and I don't know that he will spend the last of his prime years waiting for the team around him to mature. Additionally, the team may prefer to continue the rebuild by adding additional young players to their core, either through picks or by addition of another forward in their mid twenties.

3. Playstyle. The Jackets are at this point a "blue collar" team that's small amount of success is based completely on team buy in to a hard forechecking style, not something that Gaborik is known for (though he did play well under the strict structure of torts in NY). This could either be very complimentary too the team(easy goal scoring is always welcome) or it could be something that takes divides him from the team.

As for return I think that the Jackets would be looking for someone like a Bobby Ryan for a pacakge of Gaborik and a 2014 1st. Someone that would be able to replace Gaborik's production while also becoming a part of the Jackets core. Alternatively if we are talking Gaborik straight up I would imagine something like a blue chip prospect and a 1st round pick in 2015.

(This is all assuming Gaborik in 40 goal form)
I love Gaborik, but Bobby Ryan is signed for two full seasons on a very good cap hit.

Do you really think a rental Gaborik, regardless if he's on a 40 goal pace, is going to bring anything close to what Ryan commanded.....that would be lunacy.

Gaborik and a first will not net you another 40 goal scorer, especially a young one under contract.

Old
10-05-2013, 02:05 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Would love to have him back in NY now that Clownarella is gone.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 07:59 PM
aemoreira1981

Wait until the halfway point of the season and see...right now, it's impossible to gauge Gaborik's value.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:29 PM
stevo61

If he keeps doing what he's doing he isn't going anywhere

stevo61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:55 PM
alphafox

Quote:
I love Gaborik, but Bobby Ryan is signed for two full seasons on a very good cap hit.

Do you really think a rental Gaborik, regardless if he's on a 40 goal pace, is going to bring anything close to what Ryan commanded.....that would be lunacy.

Gaborik and a first will not net you another 40 goal scorer, especially a young one under contract.
Agreed for the most part, however I couldn't think of anyone else in a similar position to Ryan. Even though he is singed for two more years, it is almost a certainty that Ryan is not going to stay in Ottawa after his two years are up so the Sens may be willing to trade him for some that is equally capable in the short term to medium term when they are going to lose Ryan anyways. (Although this would be a larger gamble for the CBJ as Ryan could still be looking to end up in Philly or make his way back to the west coast.)

Maybe a better idea would be someone more on the evander kane level.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox
it is almost a certainty Ryan is not going to stay in Ottawa...
We don't know that and it kind of doesn't make sense to move the pieces necessary for Ryan if Ottawa knew it was highly unlikely he'd stay more than 2 years. Ryan may go or he may stay unless he's (unwisely) already stated otherwise.

And I wouldn't mention Evander Kane.

I'd love either on the Jackets, but I don't see either getting moved any time soon.

If Gaborik were to be traded at the deadline, a team I'd be interested in pursuing options with would be the Islanders for the following reasons:

1. Gabby still owns a residence in New York.

2. They would (presumably) be playoff bound and could be looking to add a star winger to play with Tavares.

3. They have a good asset pool that would likely interest the Jackets. Obviously Strome would be the shiny piece that everyone would want, but there's also other options.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:15 AM
mrinsane

He will stay in Columbus

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:36 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Agreed for the most part, however I couldn't think of anyone else in a similar position to Ryan. Even though he is singed for two more years, it is almost a certainty that Ryan is not going to stay in Ottawa after his two years are up so the Sens may be willing to trade him for some that is equally capable in the short term to medium term when they are going to lose Ryan anyways. (Although this would be a larger gamble for the CBJ as Ryan could still be looking to end up in Philly or make his way back to the west coast.)

Maybe a better idea would be someone more on the evander kane level.
Evander Kane is even further off then Bobby Ryan.

And how do you have any clue whether Ryan will leave ottawa or not? He's about to live and play there for two full seasons. You know how much happens in two years....we have absolutely no way of knowing what he does. What if Ottawa wins 2 cups? What if they win one? What if he meet meets his wife there? Get my point?

It's an awful comparable. E. Kane is an even worse comparable, since at his stage in his career he is one of the few players in the league you can build your team around.

NO team is going to build itself around an aging Gaborik. Hell, the Rangers didn't even build their team around him when he was in his prime.....

Gaborik is a fantastic player. One of my favorites in the game, but look at what the Rangers got for him. The price will be way less then that for a half a season.

Old
10-06-2013, 07:54 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Gaborik is a fantastic player. One of my favorites in the game, but look at what the Rangers got for him. The price will be way less then that for a half a season.
There are a few issues with that assessment of his value.

1st is the fact that we would be hypothetically dealing with a Gaborik who is having a significantly better year than his final year in NY, which would be a major increase in value. 2nd Gaborik's value was also heavily influenced by his feud with Torts which brought down the value of that was sent to NY. Finally, IMO the hit to value to a team chasing the cup of not having the player singed long term (particularly when they get exclusive time to negotiate a contract) is not that great because you pay whatever premium you have to too load up for a cup run.

I'll concede that my valuations are off, possibly by a large margin, and if they are I have to rescind my previous statement that Gaborik will be traded regardless. I don't see the Jackets moving Gaborik without returning an elite level player or a player with elite potential as that is the glaring hole in their team at this point.

EDIT:
Also I think you're underestimating the package that was sent to NY for Gaborik. Moore (a rising star on the blue line) and Brassard are two very gifted young players (though Brass never put it together for the CBJ) and Dorsett is the sort of sandpaper guy that NY was missing at the time having lost Prust to the Canadiens.

Old
10-06-2013, 09:55 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
There are a few issues with that assessment of his value.

1st is the fact that we would be hypothetically dealing with a Gaborik who is having a significantly better year than his final year in NY, which would be a major increase in value. 2nd Gaborik's value was also heavily influenced by his feud with Torts which brought down the value of that was sent to NY. Finally, IMO the hit to value to a team chasing the cup of not having the player singed long term (particularly when they get exclusive time to negotiate a contract) is not that great because you pay whatever premium you have to too load up for a cup run.

I'll concede that my valuations are off, possibly by a large margin, and if they are I have to rescind my previous statement that Gaborik will be traded regardless. I don't see the Jackets moving Gaborik without returning an elite level player or a player with elite potential as that is the glaring hole in their team at this point.

EDIT:
Also I think you're underestimating the package that was sent to NY for Gaborik. Moore (a rising star on the blue line) and Brassard are two very gifted young players (though Brass never put it together for the CBJ) and Dorsett is the sort of sandpaper guy that NY was missing at the time having lost Prust to the Canadiens.
I'm a Rangers fan. I'm not underestimating those guys at all. I actually think CBJ overpaid for him, even though he is a fantastic player.

Gaborik's value is not going to increase for a team that's going to be getting him for 30 games vs a team who got him for a full season and a half of another one regardless of the goals he puts up during the first half of this year.

I don't believe there is anyway that an elite player will be returned for Gaborik. Specifically, since I don't see him as an elite overall player, but rather as an elite goal scorer. He's not a guy that carries an offense, he's one that can help in leading it.

And the Rangers certainly didn't HAVE to trade Gaborik like you make it seem. It wasn't even remotely similar to the Nash debacle that you guys faced with Howson, where he narrowed it down to like 5 teams and only one was really pushing for him...the Rangers.

Gaborik had less of a NMC and the Rangers moved him because they felt the return they got was better for the team. Torts had "issues" with Gaborik, but it wasn't comparable to Heatley problem or anything like that.

The NY media did what it does best and blew it out of proportion and fans are still clinging to that. Gaborik may not have been a torts type of player, but he bought into his system and torts admitted, numerous times, how proud he was of Gaborik and how important a player he was.

His being traded really didn't have as much to do with torts as it did with future cap issues (re-signing Hagelin and Stepan this year and Henrik, Cally and Girardi next year). He was going to have to be let go eventually, after the Nash acquisition. But they could have waited until this year to deal with that.

Old
10-07-2013, 07:59 AM
TSA0402

Doubt Gaborik gets an elite level prospect at the deadline(unless you consider a mid-late 1st to be that). Traditionally even elite rentals get more quantity based offers. Erat got Filip Forsberg, but he had term on his deal and had to add in a decent prospect.

That being said, if Gaborik plays pretty well and stays healthy, they should get fairly close to what they gave up. 1st, roster player, prospect

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:12 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Doubt Gaborik gets an elite level prospect at the deadline(unless you consider a mid-late 1st to be that). Traditionally even elite rentals get more quantity based offers. Erat got Filip Forsberg, but he had term on his deal and had to add in a decent prospect.

That being said, if Gaborik plays pretty well and stays healthy, they should get fairly close to what they gave up. 1st, roster player, prospect
Huh? They gave up three roster players for him......